Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup 10:38 - Feb 25 with 1229 viewsbarrystedmunds

Not wishing to open old and painful wounds BUT as bad as the result was with Maidstone (and it was bad) my contention is it wasn’t as bad as what some have made it to be in the context of the history of the FA Cup major upsets.
And here’s why!
The 5th round kicks off on Monday night with our still celebrating adversaries at Coventry and there then follows a week of matches.
I am of an age when the 5th round was a major footballing weekend with 3 o’clock KOs for all involved. You were almost at Wembley FFS!!!
Over the years, in my opinion, the competition has been devalued by the TV people and the FA themselves hence these midweek fixtures.
Most Premier league teams don’t start taking it seriously unless they’re still in it by the 6th round; ALL Premier leagues teams would not compromise their leagues status over FA Cup glory even with the attraction of European football the next season.
So yeah Maidstone was, still is and will be into the far distant future, tough but it was no Hereford Newcastle!
FA Cup on 10:40 - Feb 25 with 1200 viewsKeno

I said at the time it could be the result that gets us promoted

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

FA Cup on 10:44 - Feb 25 with 1167 viewshomer_123

FA Cup on 10:40 - Feb 25 by Keno

I said at the time it could be the result that gets us promoted

ex Wife?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

FA Cup on 10:48 - Feb 25 with 1143 viewsChrisd

However we want to sugarcoat it, it was a terrible result. Playing in front of a near on capacity crowd and we lose to a National League South side, who are mainly part timers at home. Just let that sink in. It still irks me.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

FA Cup on 10:56 - Feb 25 with 1108 viewsKeno

FA Cup on 10:44 - Feb 25 by homer_123

ex Wife?

if this is relation to another post .... yes

FA Cup on 10:57 - Feb 25 with 1105 viewssjg

FA Cup on 10:48 - Feb 25 by Chrisd

However we want to sugarcoat it, it was a terrible result. Playing in front of a near on capacity crowd and we lose to a National League South side, who are mainly part timers at home. Just let that sink in. It still irks me.

Get over it. We don’t need the extra game, were never going to win the FA Cup, and gave the Maidstone fans the best day of their footballing lives. Plenty of positive stories surrounding us this season, no need to get bogged down in the one negative.
FA Cup on 10:58 - Feb 25 with 1100 viewshomer_123

FA Cup on 10:56 - Feb 25 by Keno

if this is relation to another post .... yes

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

FA Cup on 12:37 - Feb 25 with 994 viewsKeno

FA Cup on 10:58 - Feb 25 by homer_123

cant think where it went wrong really

FA Cup on 12:55 - Feb 25 with 945 viewspointofblue

To add to this, would Coventry v Ipswich still have been chosen as the Monday game? Actually I have doubts but, if so, the Birmingham game would have presumably been moved back to Friday to fit it in, as Coventry v Preston was. So our run of games would have been…

Sat - West Brom H
Wed - Millwall A
Sat - Swansea A
Tue - Rotherham H
Fri - Birmingham H
Mon - Coventry A
Sat - Plymouth A

As embarrassing as the defeat was, it has probably helped us in the long run.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup on 13:00 - Feb 25 with 927 viewsSomethingBlue

I’d genuinely forgotten all about it! Look what we have ahead of us and what we’ve done since.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

FA Cup on 13:00 - Feb 25 with 926 viewsChurchman

You are right. It was an embarrassing result that should never have happened. It irritates me. But it’s done now. In the past. Well done Maidstone too.

Off the back of 13 points from 5 games in 15 days, another 29k plus crowd and a good game yesterday and a brilliant season all round - there’s absolutely nothing to complain about. We move forward.
FA Cup on 13:24 - Feb 25 with 879 viewsIllinoisblue

Significantly more bothered by the defeat at Preston.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

FA Cup on 14:34 - Feb 25 with 819 viewspeterleeblue

FA Cup on 13:00 - Feb 25 by SomethingBlue

I’d genuinely forgotten all about it! Look what we have ahead of us and what we’ve done since.

Exactly. Maidstone! Happened in a parallel universe. Not to us, and not this season. I mean how could it!!
FA Cup on 14:52 - Feb 25 with 792 viewsDubtractor

FA Cup on 13:00 - Feb 25 by SomethingBlue

Exactly this.

It was dreadful, but it's a long forgotten memory for me.

I'm not in the camp of sugar coating the defeat as being a good thing, but equally I really don't care that much about it either. As Illy says in this thread, the Preston defeat was more annoying.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FA Cup on 14:59 - Feb 25 with 764 viewsBlueBoots

Bournemouth v Leicester
Chelsea v Leeds
Liverpool v Southampton

That's all I need to know...while we have a full week to recover for our trip to Plymouth, all 3 will have midweek away trips (possibly with extra time and penalties), and have to bounce back after a defeat or mentally readjust after a victory. Southampton and Leeds (who also have an early Kick-Off) back on the road again for their Saturday games. - much happier to be in our position.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024