Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Schumacher 20:41 - Feb 24 with 2318 viewsstickymockwell

Well I bet he regrets that move now.
No doubt that McKenna is a phenomenon and is destined for the top but it just goes to prove that your surroundings, support staff and owners play a huge part in the success or failure of a club.
Sometimes the face just fits. I think Plymouth have done even better since he left.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Schumacher on 20:52 - Feb 24 with 2176 viewsHelp

At least Schumacher will get stoke promoted from league one like he did Plymouth
Schumacher on 20:53 - Feb 24 with 2167 viewspointofblue

Schumacher on 20:52 - Feb 24 by Help

At least Schumacher will get stoke promoted from league one like he did Plymouth

I'm not sure if he'll be given the chance.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Schumacher on 20:53 - Feb 24 with 2158 viewsKeno

I’d not realised they were in bottom 3

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Schumacher on 21:30 - Feb 24 with 1967 viewsEastTownBlue

Schumacher on 20:53 - Feb 24 by pointofblue

If it isn't working for him and they are in danger of relegation his reign there may be very short indeed.
Schumacher on 21:32 - Feb 24 with 1944 viewsbournemouthblue

Schumacher on 21:30 - Feb 24 by EastTownBlue

If it isn't working for him and they are in danger of relegation his reign there may be very short indeed.

It was always a very strange move

Plymouth were actually very high in the metrics despite being shocking away

They may have inched their way up the table but I'm not convinced they have got better necessarily?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Schumacher on 21:54 - Feb 24 with 1790 viewsMelford

Bit like Luton after Nathan Jones left and Brighton under Potter.

I reckon McKenna is smart enough to realise he's got a set-up that's totally based around him and he's got the trust and licence to do what he wants in will be supported in any way by the higher-ups. He won't get a better chance to succeed than with us right now.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Schumacher on 09:04 - Feb 25 with 1253 viewsElephantintheRoom

He’s not the first manager to find Stoke a millstone. Nor the first to see his previous club do well after he’s left.

Don’t underestimate the importance of the players you inherit when you jump on or off the gravy train. Many of St McKenna’s star performers came when the Cookster broke the mould by having a clear out and head but out.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Schumacher on 09:11 - Feb 25 with 1187 viewsITFC_Forever

Plymouth’s form since he left is below average.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Schumacher on 09:15 - Feb 25 with 1141 viewsPhilTWTD

Schumacher on 21:32 - Feb 24 by bournemouthblue

It was always a very strange move

Plymouth were actually very high in the metrics despite being shocking away

They may have inched their way up the table but I'm not convinced they have got better necessarily?

Stoke's finances are in a different league to Plymouth's. There is the scope for Stoke to challenge for the Premier League if someone gets it right there, not sure that's the case at Plymouth.
Schumacher on 09:22 - Feb 25 with 1063 viewsPlums

Schumacher on 20:53 - Feb 24 by pointofblue

So many football club boards seem to be populated by people who leave their business strategy experience at the door. They seem to think changing the management team will instantly bring a replication of the manager's previous success. They ignore the conditions they inherited, they time they had to build and a host of other factors.

Schumacher was part of the previously successful Plymouth set up with all that was in place already for him. It wasn't built by him from scratch and didn't happen overnight.To replicate that at Stoke probably requires a significant culture change on and off the field and even with that happening, it would never be the same because personalities around the place will be different.
You're either buying into a long-term project or after a short-term fix. You can't have both.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Schumacher on 09:31 - Feb 25 with 1013 viewsTractorCam

Schumacher on 09:15 - Feb 25 by PhilTWTD

Stoke's finances are in a different league to Plymouth's. There is the scope for Stoke to challenge for the Premier League if someone gets it right there, not sure that's the case at Plymouth.

Same would have been said about Luton 2 years ago though.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Schumacher on 09:36 - Feb 25 with 975 views_clive_baker_

Schumacher on 09:15 - Feb 25 by PhilTWTD

Yeah it’s not too much of a stretch to see why you would trade Plymouth for Stoke, a club with deeper pockets, bigger ground, greater pulling power and no doubt a nice uplift on his salary. He’s also much closer to Liverpool where a lot of his family is I believe.

The fact it doesn’t appear to be going well makes it easy enough in hindsight to say it might not prove to be the best move, but at the time I could see the appeal.

Needs to keep them up though and get through to the summer where he’ll have a chance of straightening out the squad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024