Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blue cards 22:36 - Feb 12 with 1762 viewsPinewoodblue

According to The Athletic Premier League Clubs, between 14 & 33 blue cards would have been issued so far this season.

Elsewhere have read that if a goal keeper gets a blue card either he is substituted or an outfield player has to go in goal for 10 minutes.

Doesn't seem such a good idea now. Sam Morsy would rarely play for full 90 minutes!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Blue cards on 01:46 - Feb 13 with 1643 viewsWacko

The whole point is that it's a stronger deterrent, so a player for a team already down to 10 men wouldn't do what he would've done when they have 11

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Blue cards on 07:58 - Feb 13 with 1480 viewsNBVJohn

Blue cards on 01:46 - Feb 13 by Wacko

The whole point is that it's a stronger deterrent, so a player for a team already down to 10 men wouldn't do what he would've done when they have 11

I really don’t see it as anything but a gimmick.

The referee’s need to generally improve their consistency with yellow cards for time wasting, fouling players to prevent a break and shirt pulling etc. If a player knows for sure that he will be booked and / or sent off for cheating no other deterrent would be needed.

A combination of over analysis of VAR and this will fragment the game even more than it is already. I suspect that it will get used tactically too.

A general clamp down on cheating through yellow and red cards is all that is needed.
Blue cards on 08:15 - Feb 13 with 1427 viewsPinewoodblue

Blue cards on 07:58 - Feb 13 by NBVJohn

The referee’s need to generally improve their consistency with yellow cards for time wasting, fouling players to prevent a break and shirt pulling etc. If a player knows for sure that he will be booked and / or sent off for cheating no other deterrent would be needed.

A combination of over analysis of VAR and this will fragment the game even more than it is already. I suspect that it will get used tactically too.

A general clamp down on cheating through yellow and red cards is all that is needed.

Can you imagine VAR used for every booking to determine if Yellow or Blue.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Blue cards on 08:20 - Feb 13 with 1414 viewsGeoffSentence

Assuming refs uses them as intended, I don't think Morsy would be too badly affected by them. They will be applied for dissent or cynical fouls. I can't recall him being booked for either type of offence.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Blue cards on 08:22 - Feb 13 with 1404 viewsBlueRaider

This still doesn't really address the issue of taking one for the team

As it stands it has to be a good thing to pull a player back and stop a breakaway attack at the cost of a free kick in a non-dangerous place and yellow card, allowing your team to get back into shape.

I don't see how a blue card changes this, teams are quite adept at defending with 10 men

Football focuses too much on punishing the offender rather than compensating the team that was fouled, contrast it with Rugby where you have a sliding scale (Scrum, free kick, penalty, penalty try) depending on severity of offence.

In football it is all about the geography of the pitch, so a serious foul outside the box gives the team a much lower likelihood of scoring than a ball being hammered at a defenders arm inside the box

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Blue cards on 08:28 - Feb 13 with 1377 viewstonybied

Blue cards on 08:20 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

Assuming refs uses them as intended, I don't think Morsy would be too badly affected by them. They will be applied for dissent or cynical fouls. I can't recall him being booked for either type of offence.

He got booked for a cynical foul on Saturday. He pulled one of the West Brom players when they were about to break free and run through on goal.
Blue cards on 08:48 - Feb 13 with 1315 viewsredrickstuhaart

Blue cards on 08:22 - Feb 13 by BlueRaider

This still doesn't really address the issue of taking one for the team

As it stands it has to be a good thing to pull a player back and stop a breakaway attack at the cost of a free kick in a non-dangerous place and yellow card, allowing your team to get back into shape.

I don't see how a blue card changes this, teams are quite adept at defending with 10 men

Football focuses too much on punishing the offender rather than compensating the team that was fouled, contrast it with Rugby where you have a sliding scale (Scrum, free kick, penalty, penalty try) depending on severity of offence.

In football it is all about the geography of the pitch, so a serious foul outside the box gives the team a much lower likelihood of scoring than a ball being hammered at a defenders arm inside the box

Just imagine a game with two or three 10 minute periods of low block and time wasting, whilst they wait for the blue card to expire....
Blue cards on 09:35 - Feb 13 with 1242 viewstextbackup

Blue cards on 08:20 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

‘Kicking’ the ball away at Southampton?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Blue cards on 09:46 - Feb 13 with 1211 viewsbobbyramsey

Blue cards on 07:58 - Feb 13 by NBVJohn

A yellow is not enough for pulling a player back by his shirt when he's got a clear run on goal.

I'm all for it in certain circumstances only.
Blue cards on 09:56 - Feb 13 with 1184 viewsChrisd

The officials have enough trouble with yellow and red cards, why throw in an extra colour to confuse matters?! I feel the concept is a good one, however the practicality of it I'm not so convinced.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Blue cards on 10:02 - Feb 13 with 1174 viewsFifeITFC

The game will get tactical and even more boring. Teams that go down to 10 men will just sit everyone behind the ball trying to kill time. They'll time waste even more until they can return to a full compliment, they'll take an age with goal kicks, free kicks, throw ins etc in an attempt to restrict 'power play' time.

I think it is a terrible idea.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Blue cards on 10:20 - Feb 13 with 1118 viewsDeano69

There's enough controversy and confusion with two cards and the 'two yellows made a red' combo. If you warrant being sent to the sin bin you warrant a yellow card?? I am sure teams will park the bus and time waste while waiting for a team mate(s) to return.

Initially I thought a sin bin would be a good idea, definitely going off it thinking about how it would work in practice. My thoughts were for things like taking your shirt off to celebrate, kicking the ball away (or walking away with the ball and dropping it yards from the where the free kick is to be taken) or time wasting, but think its all a bit over engineered now.

And why blue? Blue is a great colour!!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Blue cards on 10:23 - Feb 13 with 1110 viewsbobbyramsey

Blue cards on 10:02 - Feb 13 by FifeITFC

The game will get tactical and even more boring. Teams that go down to 10 men will just sit everyone behind the ball trying to kill time. They'll time waste even more until they can return to a full compliment, they'll take an age with goal kicks, free kicks, throw ins etc in an attempt to restrict 'power play' time.

I think it is a terrible idea.

But if applied properly another "Blue" would then be dished out for time-wasting, which should solve that problem.....

The operative words being "if applied properly" lol.
Blue cards on 10:24 - Feb 13 with 1099 viewsGeoffSentence

Blue cards on 09:35 - Feb 13 by textbackup

‘Kicking’ the ball away at Southampton?

That is neither dissent nor a cynical foul

Blue cards on 10:25 - Feb 13 with 1100 viewsFifeITFC

Blue cards on 10:23 - Feb 13 by bobbyramsey

But if applied properly another "Blue" would then be dished out for time-wasting, which should solve that problem.....

The operative words being "if applied properly" lol.

But you see the limits players go to with time wasting before getting a yellow now. They often do just enough to avoid getting one, it will be the same with the blue.

And once they go down to ten men (or less) the game as a spectacle will become boring and frustrating as they'll put all the remaining players behind the ball, defend for their lives until returning to a full team. As a spectator, it will be awful.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Blue cards on 10:26 - Feb 13 with 1096 viewsGeoffSentence

Blue cards on 08:28 - Feb 13 by tonybied

He got booked for a cynical foul on Saturday. He pulled one of the West Brom players when they were about to break free and run through on goal.

I missed that he'd been booked at all on Saturday, let alone for that.

Blue cards on 10:32 - Feb 13 with 1064 viewsbobbyramsey

Blue cards on 10:25 - Feb 13 by FifeITFC

But you see the limits players go to with time wasting before getting a yellow now. They often do just enough to avoid getting one, it will be the same with the blue.

And once they go down to ten men (or less) the game as a spectacle will become boring and frustrating as they'll put all the remaining players behind the ball, defend for their lives until returning to a full team. As a spectator, it will be awful.

You're right of course, refs don't use their cards properly in the first place.

Maybe the 4th official could have a blue card that he could issue to the refs lol....
Blue cards on 12:46 - Feb 13 with 969 viewsIllinoisblue

Unnecessary and unwanted. Whoever thought of the idea should be thrown in a canal.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Blue cards on 13:34 - Feb 13 with 879 viewstextbackup

Blue cards on 10:24 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

That is neither dissent nor a cynical foul

‘Dissent: An audible or visible disagreement with the referee's decision’

If the ref thought he kicked the ball away in a rage as he disagreed with his decision, is that not then dissent?

Blue cards on 13:48 - Feb 13 with 849 viewsGeoffSentence

Blue cards on 13:34 - Feb 13 by textbackup

‘Dissent: An audible or visible disagreement with the referee's decision’

If the ref thought he kicked the ball away in a rage as he disagreed with his decision, is that not then dissent?

I suppose it could be, but would normally be a booking for delaying the restart of play.

These are the examples given in the FA Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct

dissent by word or action including:

throwing/kicking drinks bottles or other objects
action(s) which show(s) a clear lack of respect for the match official(s) e.g.sarcastic clapping

entering the referee review area (RRA)
excessively/persistently gesturing for a red or yellow card
excessively showing the TV signal for a VAR ‘review’
gesturing or acting in a provocative or inflammatory manner
persistent unacceptable behaviour (including repeated warning offences)
showing a lack of respect for the game

But I found this referess chat from a few years ago which is quite interesting and some are saying that kicking the ball away can be dissent

https://refchat.co.uk/threads/kicking-the-ball-away.14076/

Blue cards on 13:54 - Feb 13 with 834 viewstextbackup

Blue cards on 13:48 - Feb 13 by GeoffSentence

I suppose it could be, but would normally be a booking for delaying the restart of play.

These are the examples given in the FA Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct

dissent by word or action including:

throwing/kicking drinks bottles or other objects
action(s) which show(s) a clear lack of respect for the match official(s) e.g.sarcastic clapping

entering the referee review area (RRA)
excessively/persistently gesturing for a red or yellow card
excessively showing the TV signal for a VAR ‘review’
gesturing or acting in a provocative or inflammatory manner
persistent unacceptable behaviour (including repeated warning offences)
showing a lack of respect for the game

But I found this referess chat from a few years ago which is quite interesting and some are saying that kicking the ball away can be dissent

https://refchat.co.uk/threads/kicking-the-ball-away.14076/

Furry muff 👍

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024