Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The problem with this transfer window... 13:46 - Jan 24 with 2085 viewsNutkins_Return

...is we got off to an absolute flyer. Sarmiento and Travis appear great pieces of business especially if we can make Travis perm if he continues as he has. Perfect longer term replace for Mass really (he's got another season him though!).

The gap now makes it feel like we are struggling. If we get 1-2 quality strikers in and a full back it's a quality window. Brandon situation is one disappointing part but seems nothing we could do.
The problem with this transfer window... on 13:49 - Jan 24 with 2048 viewstractorboy1978

That's normal in the January window though. Most business either happens in the first week or the last week.
The problem with this transfer window... on 13:50 - Jan 24 with 2028 viewsFrimleyBlue

Don't think those signings really make a difference with the feeling around a striker.

We've needed a striker since August and now even more importantly so and we're 7 days away from the end of the window.

Still time, so no panic, but I don't think the signings so far have any part in the frustration of not having a striker yet.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The problem with this transfer window... on 14:19 - Jan 24 with 1929 viewsLankHenners

Wouldn't say that has any bearing on it - mood would be even worse if we hadn't got anybody in at all!
[Post edited 24 Jan 14:19]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The problem with this transfer window... on 14:22 - Jan 24 with 1880 viewsitfcsuth

We aren't privy to the finer details of course.

On paper, Travis, Sarmiento, 2 good level strikers would be a real solid window.

But of course, as times ticks on, nothing seeming imminent, the fans are naturally getting edgy.

I do understand, it's disappointing, we need 2 strikers undoubtedly, but I absolutely trust the club & management to get the right player and the right price - both have to line up.
The problem with this transfer window... on 19:31 - Jan 24 with 1643 viewsNutkins_Return

Can I now claim credit for some defo info on the Luongo extra year?
The problem with this transfer window... on 09:49 - Jan 25 with 1204 viewsMediocre_Quick

There's still a week left, what's with the doom and gloom?
The problem with this transfer window... on 09:51 - Jan 25 with 1188 viewsportmanking

No, the real problem is that we're closer to the FFP limits than we'd like to be. Our significant investment in League 1 is kinda biting us on the backside.
The problem with this transfer window... on 10:18 - Jan 25 with 1106 viewssurreyblue

The other challenge, if we are being realistic, is that the aim for the summer was yo build a squad that would be in the mix for the playoffs - an aim that we are currently beating by 9 places and 19 points. In that context, particularly given how well he played for much of last season, having Ladapo as our backup striker wasn't the problem many people think it is.

Now we have the aim to have a transfer window that keeps us highly competitive in the automatic promotion race against three teams flush with 10's of millions of pounds of parachute payments. Arguably Ashton and the recruitment team have been a victim of the team's success this season.

We still need two strikers and a full back if Williams doesn't come back...
Login to get fewer ads

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:22 - Jan 25 with 1089 viewsportmanking

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:18 - Jan 25 by surreyblue

The other challenge, if we are being realistic, is that the aim for the summer was yo build a squad that would be in the mix for the playoffs - an aim that we are currently beating by 9 places and 19 points. In that context, particularly given how well he played for much of last season, having Ladapo as our backup striker wasn't the problem many people think it is.

Now we have the aim to have a transfer window that keeps us highly competitive in the automatic promotion race against three teams flush with 10's of millions of pounds of parachute payments. Arguably Ashton and the recruitment team have been a victim of the team's success this season.

We still need two strikers and a full back if Williams doesn't come back...

Yep, a victim of our success is a nice way to sum it up.

If we weren't sailing close to our FFP limits there's no way we'd be sniffing around Sam Gallagher. Our sights would be set much higher.
[Post edited 25 Jan 10:23]
The problem with this transfer window... on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 1037 viewstractorboy1978

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:22 - Jan 25 by portmanking

Yep, a victim of our success is a nice way to sum it up.

If we weren't sailing close to our FFP limits there's no way we'd be sniffing around Sam Gallagher. Our sights would be set much higher.
[Post edited 25 Jan 10:23]

True, but then there seems to be a dearth of higher level options too. You look around the Premier League squads and you can count on a couple of fingers the players that look to possibly be available.
[Post edited 25 Jan 10:33]
The problem with this transfer window... on 10:35 - Jan 25 with 1012 viewsportmanking

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:32 - Jan 25 by tractorboy1978

True, but then there seems to be a dearth of higher level options too. You look around the Premier League squads and you can count on a couple of fingers the players that look to possibly be available.

I think the fiscal disparity between the top two leagues is showing its teeth more than ever.

The market is almost grinding to a halt, simply because top flight teams can't offload their fringe players as they're earning too much with their parent clubs.

It's almost becoming a closed shop by proxy.
The problem with this transfer window... on 10:37 - Jan 25 with 987 viewsFrimleyBlue

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:35 - Jan 25 by portmanking

I think the fiscal disparity between the top two leagues is showing its teeth more than ever.

The market is almost grinding to a halt, simply because top flight teams can't offload their fringe players as they're earning too much with their parent clubs.

Might we finally have got to the 'Broken football' point where it needs a reset....

Waka waka eh eh

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:44 - Jan 25 with 967 viewstractorboy1978

I think the biggest problem is that out and out, focal point strikers are a bit of a dying breed by virtue of the way football has gone with 4-2-3-1 and false 9s etc. The days of teams having 3/4 'strikers' on their books are gone. Brentford have been operating all season without a proper replacement for Toney.
The problem with this transfer window... on 10:48 - Jan 25 with 923 viewsFrimleyBlue

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:44 - Jan 25 by tractorboy1978

I think the biggest problem is that out and out, focal point strikers are a bit of a dying breed by virtue of the way football has gone with 4-2-3-1 and false 9s etc. The days of teams having 3/4 'strikers' on their books are gone. Brentford have been operating all season without a proper replacement for Toney.

It'll be interesting how football continues to move forwards with the changes in modern styles
Wingers aren't really wingers any longer,
Defenders must be able to play football so do keepers
Midfielders can't just be hard working ankle biting defensive blockers.

Waka waka eh eh

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:50 - Jan 25 with 911 viewsLankHenners

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:32 - Jan 25 by tractorboy1978

Another strange quirk this year is that a lot of the in-demand names around Europe happen to be African strikers who aren't available immediately due to AFCON. So for a top Prem club it's probably not worth shelling out the £90m+ Napoli will want for Victor Osimhen when he might not be available to play until mid-February then he has to be trained into their style by which point there are only a handful of games left to make an impact. Better off waiting until the summer for that kind of deal.

Obviously means if the dominos right at the top aren't falling then the ones underneath won't topple. For another example West Ham were supposedly after Victor Boniface but he was about to go to AFCON then was injured so isn't a viable transfer option. Had they successfully signed him then someone like Divin Mubama might be more attainable. Not saying Mubama is the top target to go for but would certainly be an option you'd think.

Hope I'm wrong as the earlier someone's in the building the better (and we don't want to be scrounging around trying to get anyone we can) but I can't see anything other than this going until very late in the day with clubs waiting to see who blinks first in negotiations.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:56 - Jan 25 with 883 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

The problem with this transfer window... on 13:49 - Jan 24 by tractorboy1978

That's normal in the January window though. Most business either happens in the first week or the last week.

Indeed, we won't have been the only clubs in for our main targets, so far the business has been good. We know we have been trying for another full back and two strikers. I expect we will get those in, whether they were the original targets or others remains to be seen.
The problem with this transfer window... on 10:59 - Jan 25 with 860 viewsBseaBlue

Quite right and the parachute payments make this even worse. The big question is, if parachute payments were removed, would it encourage teams to spend more wisely on wages or end up with more clubs taking risks and either failing FFP or going bust?

Whatever the outcome is, something needs to change.
The problem with this transfer window... on 11:05 - Jan 25 with 823 viewsFrimleyBlue

The problem with this transfer window... on 10:59 - Jan 25 by BseaBlue

Quite right and the parachute payments make this even worse. The big question is, if parachute payments were removed, would it encourage teams to spend more wisely on wages or end up with more clubs taking risks and either failing FFP or going bust?

Whatever the outcome is, something needs to change.

The problem is you need parachute payments to get teams to spend when they go up otherwise they just finish bottom and that's that

What Should happen however is that any incomings you make when you get relegated should be deducted from the parachute payments.

In no way should you be able to sell a player for £30 mill and then go and buy a player for £10 Mill.

Waka waka eh eh

The problem with this transfer window... on 11:15 - Jan 25 with 795 viewsNthQldITFC

The problem with this transfer window... on 11:05 - Jan 25 by FrimleyBlue

The problem is you need parachute payments to get teams to spend when they go up otherwise they just finish bottom and that's that

What Should happen however is that any incomings you make when you get relegated should be deducted from the parachute payments.

In no way should you be able to sell a player for £30 mill and then go and buy a player for £10 Mill.

What would be a great idea would be a unified league structure with something like Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, Division 4, and 'prize money' (TV money etc.) shared out in a linear fashion right through the league.

It's kind of how society should work too, with reasonable parity but a bit more for those who 'do a bit better'.

The kind of increasingly skewed, elite-driven, money-focussed-w@nk-fest, destroys the very thing that it lives on in pursuit of shallow and ultimately unsatisfactory glitz.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The problem with this transfer window... on 13:30 - Jan 25 with 618 viewsOldFart71

What's best ? to get some geezer in that in truth is no better than what we have or wait and hope and if not make do with what we have. I personally believe we are around half a dozen players short of what we need to should we attain that status remain in the Premier League. I would rather we missed out this season and built further so that we aren't up and then down again. If it happens and we get to the Prem this year then so be it, but unless we get in very decent players in this window x 2 and then 4 others August time I think we will struggle in the Prem.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024