Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yemen 09:06 - Jan 12 with 850 viewsunbelievablue

Complete blind-spot in my world history after the Middle Ages. Can anyone recommend books, articles, or fancy a stab at a succinct-ish summary of the area in modernish times?
[Post edited 12 Jan 9:06]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Yemen on 09:18 - Jan 12 with 789 viewsitfcjoe

My Mum was born there, when my Grandad was serving in the RAF

There was a BBC drama about it and the British Forces time in Aden called The Last Post - but not sure that will give you what you need

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Yemen on 09:29 - Jan 12 with 714 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Modern-Yemen-Paul-Dresch/dp/052179482X

This might be of some help, the book synopsis does a decent outline as well.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Yemen on 09:30 - Jan 12 with 705 viewsSteve_M

Not quite what you're after but just came across this and it's helpful on the more recent history:

https://engelsbergideas.com/essays/the-houthis-forgotten-war-goes-global/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Yemen on 09:34 - Jan 12 with 673 viewsMeadowlark

No, but I worked there for a very short time in the 80s and it was one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited in terms of natural landscapes. I drove through the mountains between the capital Sana'a and the the desert plain then on to Al Hudaydah on the coast. Also, there are numerous little desert islands like the ones you see in cartoons, you know a pile of sand with one palm tree. Glorious.
There was an edge to the place even back then. Roadblocks every hundred yards or so in the capital and we had to ask permission from the PLO to sail North up the Red Sea. I was also accused of stealing a towel from my hotel, which could have been interesting had I done so, but they were so, so apologetic when they realised they had made a mistake.
I arrived back in Suffolk to find all the trees had been blown down, if you wish to put an exact date on this little adventure.
Yemen on 10:06 - Jan 12 with 601 viewsGuthrum

Yemen on 09:30 - Jan 12 by Steve_M

Not quite what you're after but just came across this and it's helpful on the more recent history:

https://engelsbergideas.com/essays/the-houthis-forgotten-war-goes-global/

Very good article.

From the reports of the attacks overnight and the statements coming out of the US and Britain, it seems this is intended as a finely-balanced strike to degrade capability, rather than a "punishment". The very low casualties declared by the Houthis themselves (five killed, six wounded, all described as 'fighters') would suggest it was aimed at infrastructure, rather than personnel. We'll have to wait and see what further comes out.

The question is whether the Houthis now desist from attacking shipping passing through the vital straits (or no longer have the capability to do so). If they continue, then further response is very likely. However, can they afford to be seen (domestically or internationally) as backing down in the face of the USA?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Yemen on 10:11 - Jan 12 with 573 viewsElderGrizzly

They shot at me on the Saudi border back in 2013, so they either don't like me or the British...
Yemen on 10:27 - Jan 12 with 527 viewsGeoffSentence

Yemen on 10:11 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

They shot at me on the Saudi border back in 2013, so they either don't like me or the British...

Maybe they are budgie supporters down there and you suffered the wrath of the Houthis

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024