Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion 11:05 - Jan 11 with 4594 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67935464

I fact, I wish someone was saying the same here.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:15 - Jan 11 with 2865 viewsJ2BLUE

We badly need Trump to run for president and be completely trounced.

It will be a disaster if he gets in and his supporters will go full tilt if it's a close contest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:19 - Jan 11 with 2823 viewsStokieBlue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:15 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

It will be a disaster if he gets in and his supporters will go full tilt if it's a close contest.

He's going to run and he's probably going to win.

The democrats have screwed themselves by following tradition and thus supporting the incumbent. Biden seems unlikely to win and the problem is that the democrats seem unable to get across the fact that not voting for Biden is in fact enabling a Trump victory.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:31 - Jan 11 with 2767 viewsgiant_stow

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:15 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

Exactly - if Trump gets in, an already conflict-ravaged world could go over the edge. Even without him, we seem to be leaving Ukraine short of what they need. Who does Russia fancy next? When will China decide to take on Taiwan? The middle east seems to be a small step from regional war already. How thin can US forces be spread before they break?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:36 - Jan 11 with 2748 viewsBlueschev

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:31 - Jan 11 by giant_stow

Exactly - if Trump gets in, an already conflict-ravaged world could go over the edge. Even without him, we seem to be leaving Ukraine short of what they need. Who does Russia fancy next? When will China decide to take on Taiwan? The middle east seems to be a small step from regional war already. How thin can US forces be spread before they break?

I'm in no way looking to defend Trump here, but I'd say his presidency is less blood soaked than his two predecessors, certainly when it comes to foreign policy.
[Post edited 11 Jan 11:38]
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:36 - Jan 11 with 2745 viewsNthQldITFC

A strong, mature western Europe-led NATO including the UK would be far too much for Russia to face up to wouldn't it? I don't know, just asking.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:41 - Jan 11 with 2713 viewsJ2BLUE

I do think if one domino falls then all hell will break loose.

The trouble with arming Ukraine is that the weapons come from stockpiles and are hard to replace.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:48 - Jan 11 with 2658 viewsgiant_stow

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:36 - Jan 11 by Blueschev

I'm in no way looking to defend Trump here, but I'd say his presidency is less blood soaked than his two predecessors, certainly when it comes to foreign policy.

Tricky to argue with that, but perhaps it just comes down to the circumstances each faced? Don't know... I guess my big fear is that Trump effectively (if not literally) pulls out of NATO, leaving Urope on its own.

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:52 - Jan 11 with 2632 viewsgiant_stow

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:36 - Jan 11 by NthQldITFC

A strong, mature western Europe-led NATO including the UK would be far too much for Russia to face up to wouldn't it? I don't know, just asking.

I'm no expert, so no idea how it would pan out, but a NATO without American backing, reliant on European armies sounds dangerously tempting to me. The little stat about the number of brigades in Ukraine and Sweden is a little scary though.

Login to get fewer ads

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:52 - Jan 11 with 2624 viewslowhouseblue

jeez i thought the global warming thread was depressing.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:04 - Jan 11 with 2528 viewsIllinoisblue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:19 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

He's going to run and he's probably going to win.

The democrats have screwed themselves by following tradition and thus supporting the incumbent. Biden seems unlikely to win and the problem is that the democrats seem unable to get across the fact that not voting for Biden is in fact enabling a Trump victory.

SB

The hope is there’ll be enough fallout from Trump’s numerous court cases to at least make people think twice about voting for him. The idea of Trump getting back in will be a disaster for America. Not sure a lot of undecided voters grasp how insane he is and how focused he’ll be on retaliation.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:08 - Jan 11 with 2500 viewsBlueschev

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:48 - Jan 11 by giant_stow

Tricky to argue with that, but perhaps it just comes down to the circumstances each faced? Don't know... I guess my big fear is that Trump effectively (if not literally) pulls out of NATO, leaving Urope on its own.

It's not something that would be allowed to happen. NATO is is pivotal to maintaining the US' military dominance across the Globe.
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:10 - Jan 11 with 2488 viewsBlueschev

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:04 - Jan 11 by Illinoisblue

The hope is there’ll be enough fallout from Trump’s numerous court cases to at least make people think twice about voting for him. The idea of Trump getting back in will be a disaster for America. Not sure a lot of undecided voters grasp how insane he is and how focused he’ll be on retaliation.

Do you think he could attract enough swing voters to pull it off?
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:11 - Jan 11 with 2481 viewsStokieBlue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:04 - Jan 11 by Illinoisblue

Unfortunately I think that's a bit of a forlorn hope, as it stands the polls certainly don't reflect that happening.

Trump could do literally anything and there is a core subset of people who will vote for him. Combined with a "I'm not voting Biden" stance means he probably won't need as many votes to win this time around.

It's impossible to say how a second term would end up, it could be anything from simple retaliation against people he deems have wronged him to the destruction of the union and anywhere in between.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:13 - Jan 11 with 2467 viewsIllinoisblue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:10 - Jan 11 by Blueschev

Do you think he could attract enough swing voters to pull it off?

I actually don’t think he’ll do it. It’s foolish to write him off but I genuinely believe Biden will win, especially if the economy keeps improving as it has been. Biden is FAR from ideal not least that he’s clearly in the early stages of mental decline but still better than Trump.

62 - 78 - 81

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:18 - Jan 11 with 2438 viewshype313

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:13 - Jan 11 by Illinoisblue

I actually don’t think he’ll do it. It’s foolish to write him off but I genuinely believe Biden will win, especially if the economy keeps improving as it has been. Biden is FAR from ideal not least that he’s clearly in the early stages of mental decline but still better than Trump.

Trump's got more chance of going to prison than becoming POTUS again.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:29 - Jan 11 with 2394 viewsGuthrum

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:36 - Jan 11 by Blueschev

I would argue that some of that is masked by events where Trump bears some responsibility only coming to fruition after he left office.

That includes Afghanistan, where his administration negotiated the precipitate withdrawal agreement which Biden's team then had to carry out. Israel, where he encouraged the regime in every way, such as by moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Arguably even Ukraine, by encouraging Putin and by undermining Kyiv (because they wouldn't cooperate over Hunter Biden).

Trump may not have directly ordered troops into anywhere, but his incompetence has contributed to a lot of blood being shed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:38 - Jan 11 with 2348 viewsGuthrum

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:41 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

The trouble with arming Ukraine is that the weapons come from stockpiles and are hard to replace.

Tho some of it is older kit which is being or already has been replaced. Leopard and Challenger 2 tanks; F16s, not Typhoons, Rafales, Gripen or F35s. Artillery shells are the big one, but they are not hard to manufacture.

On the other hand, Russia is using up its own reserves of the good stuff, which are much harder to replace under sanctions.
[Post edited 11 Jan 12:39]

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:45 - Jan 11 with 2312 viewsGuthrum

That's mainly a psychological thing, because Sweden has (despite its older warlike traditions up to the early 19th century) been consistently neutral for nearly two hundred years. There is a degree of mental preparation needed for abandoning that position, which most of Europe - only a generation or two removed from a major war, having lived for decades under the shadow of superpower confrontation, involved in various conflicts and insurgencies in very recent, or even current, times - does not require.

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:47 - Jan 11 with 2298 viewsIllinoisblue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:18 - Jan 11 by hype313

Trump's got more chance of going to prison than becoming POTUS again.

He could do both such is the absurdity of this country!

62 - 78 - 81

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:53 - Jan 11 with 2260 viewsBuhrer

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 11:41 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

Agreed, and before you know it communists will have overrun all Vietnam....

The trouble is in being fed justifications for constant public expenditure on 'defence'.
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:56 - Jan 11 with 2234 viewsIllinoisblue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:11 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

Unfortunately I think that's a bit of a forlorn hope, as it stands the polls certainly don't reflect that happening.

Trump could do literally anything and there is a core subset of people who will vote for him. Combined with a "I'm not voting Biden" stance means he probably won't need as many votes to win this time around.

It's impossible to say how a second term would end up, it could be anything from simple retaliation against people he deems have wronged him to the destruction of the union and anywhere in between.

SB

Trump can pretty much say and do anything and there’s large number of people who just shrug. Just this week he called for mass deportation of illegal immigrants and mocked a Vietnam POW for getting injured. He stays in his social media and Fox bubble restating his lies and is never called out on them. The mainstream media - what’s left of it - need to step up and push back on his countless lies. I’m not sure that will move the needle much but it would be a start.

62 - 78 - 81

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 13:39 - Jan 11 with 2033 viewsBlueschev

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:29 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

I would argue that some of that is masked by events where Trump bears some responsibility only coming to fruition after he left office.

That includes Afghanistan, where his administration negotiated the precipitate withdrawal agreement which Biden's team then had to carry out. Israel, where he encouraged the regime in every way, such as by moving the embassy to Jerusalem. Arguably even Ukraine, by encouraging Putin and by undermining Kyiv (because they wouldn't cooperate over Hunter Biden).

Trump may not have directly ordered troops into anywhere, but his incompetence has contributed to a lot of blood being shed.

All fair points, he's completely inept and dangerous. But I think there's an assumption that if Trump loses then US foreign policy will be drastically different or more ethical, which to me doesn't add up. Hilary Clinton was far more hawkish, for example.
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 15:12 - Jan 11 with 1889 viewsgordon

Personal view is that if Trump wins, and removes all support to Ukraine and says the US won't be getting involved in anything, then a China-Russia-North Korea-Hezbollah etc. alliance could definitely make things a bit hairy.
Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 15:18 - Jan 11 with 1872 viewsgiant_stow

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 15:12 - Jan 11 by gordon

Personal view is that if Trump wins, and removes all support to Ukraine and says the US won't be getting involved in anything, then a China-Russia-North Korea-Hezbollah etc. alliance could definitely make things a bit hairy.

Yeah the sides are pretty clear, which is pretty scary.

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 15:22 - Jan 11 with 1863 viewsgiant_stow

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion on 12:53 - Jan 11 by Buhrer

Agreed, and before you know it communists will have overrun all Vietnam....

The trouble is in being fed justifications for constant public expenditure on 'defence'.

While I get your what you're saying, according to this, defense spending has dropped from 7% of gdp in 1960 to 2.2% today: https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/military-spending-defen

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024