Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. 14:11 - Dec 23 with 4918 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

70 odd million pounds worth of strikeforce against us doesn't help, but bloody hell, we haven't been able to lay a glove on them.
Re group for boxing day and hopefuuly show up for that.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:18 - Dec 23 with 3743 viewsRyorry

One big positive for me - if we do go up, we'll know what to expect & what improvements to the squad we need to make.

Very valuable lesson - who knows, maybe even a blessing in disguise.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I’d say it was more 4 or 5 of our players didn’t turn up and were.. on 14:19 - Dec 23 with 3722 viewsunstableblue

… error strewn

We never ever give that amount of cheap possession

We have given the ball away with poor passing 10s of time today

You simply can’t do that against opposition of this quality

Morsy, Luongo, Davis, Broadhead all had poor games

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:20 - Dec 23 with 3680 viewsArnieM

Outmuscled and outpaced all over the pitch. Leeds on today’s form would roll over sny team in this division.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I’d say it was more 4 or 5 of our players didn’t turn up and were.. on 14:20 - Dec 23 with 3681 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I’d say it was more 4 or 5 of our players didn’t turn up and were.. on 14:19 - Dec 23 by unstableblue

… error strewn

Yep, and they have been very good.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:21 - Dec 23 with 3681 viewsChrisd

Yep, beaten by the better side, the fact their keeper hasn’t had to make save speaks volumes. We are still too easy to score against in my view.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:22 - Dec 23 with 3641 viewsHerbivore

Goals change games and that early goal has let them play on their terms, staying very organised at the back and taking no real risks and looking to pick us off on the break, which they've done clinically. Chalk it up as a bad day, learn from it, and move on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I’d say it was more 4 or 5 of our players didn’t turn up and were.. on 14:23 - Dec 23 with 3629 viewsbournemouthblue

I’d say it was more 4 or 5 of our players didn’t turn up and were.. on 14:19 - Dec 23 by unstableblue

… error strewn

It really has, it's like you have packed all our mistakes across the season, all into one performance

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:25 - Dec 23 with 3608 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Even the text feed on BBC Sport is infuriating to watch, saying we've won 4-1 in yellow cards today.
Login to get fewer ads

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:28 - Dec 23 with 3569 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poor performance and Leeds totally bossed it. Which makes it stranger still how poor they must be against the teams that come to play on the break against them and they have taken 7 fewer points than us against.

We can afford that today as long as we get back to our usual standards against everyone else.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:33 - Dec 23 with 3509 viewsPlums

Yes, let's not forget the cost of their front line would have bought our entire club at least a couple of times over in the very recent past.
A bad day at the ofice but we're still seven points clear of them.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:38 - Dec 23 with 3431 viewsKievthegreat

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:20 - Dec 23 by ArnieM

Outmuscled and outpaced all over the pitch. Leeds on today’s form would roll over sny team in this division.

The one thing we have in our pocket is that we know they don't do this every week to every team in the league. Teams are able to lock them out and frustrate them rather than playing into them and exposing themselves like we did today.

Key to winning promotion is consistency and we've shown more over the season thus far. There is another 23 games against 22 teams to gain points from and Leeds no longer get to play us. In the other 21 games this year, Leeds have dropped 24 points, we dropped 11. Keep up our consistency against teams lower in the league and we still have the advantage.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 14:55]
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:05 - Dec 23 with 3150 viewsITFCSG

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:38 - Dec 23 by Kievthegreat

The one thing we have in our pocket is that we know they don't do this every week to every team in the league. Teams are able to lock them out and frustrate them rather than playing into them and exposing themselves like we did today.

Key to winning promotion is consistency and we've shown more over the season thus far. There is another 23 games against 22 teams to gain points from and Leeds no longer get to play us. In the other 21 games this year, Leeds have dropped 24 points, we dropped 11. Keep up our consistency against teams lower in the league and we still have the advantage.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 14:55]

Leeds are pretty similar to us in the sense they struggle against teams in a low block. They dropped points to Coventry just last week with the exact same starting XI. They also drew with Sheff Wed and Rotherham. By playing our usual attacking and open game we were there for the taking with their vastly superior (at least individually) players. Why go to Leeds and attack their de facto Prem wingers with our attacking fullbacks? It is a kamikaze mission in a game which we didn't have to win. A draw would do.

I thought McK would have learnt from the 3-4 loss at home but apparently not. Sometimes we have to play "smart" rather than stick to our usual style. The best teams change their formation and style according to the occasion. Would you rather play ugly and get 1 point or try to play as usual and get a trashing with 0 points? We need a Plan B which we don't seem to have at the moment.

Continue to play kamikaze v Leicester on Boxing Day and I am afraid it will be another footballing lesson from Mavididi, Dewsbury-Hall, Vardy & Co.
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:31 - Dec 23 with 3051 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:22 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

Goals change games and that early goal has let them play on their terms, staying very organised at the back and taking no real risks and looking to pick us off on the break, which they've done clinically. Chalk it up as a bad day, learn from it, and move on.

Agree but not sure it would have made much of a difference today. We’ve got the most points from losing positions I think. We were just got battered simple as that. Leeds tactically wouldn’t have changed that much.
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:45 - Dec 23 with 2964 viewsmr_bean

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:05 - Dec 23 by ITFCSG

Leeds are pretty similar to us in the sense they struggle against teams in a low block. They dropped points to Coventry just last week with the exact same starting XI. They also drew with Sheff Wed and Rotherham. By playing our usual attacking and open game we were there for the taking with their vastly superior (at least individually) players. Why go to Leeds and attack their de facto Prem wingers with our attacking fullbacks? It is a kamikaze mission in a game which we didn't have to win. A draw would do.

I thought McK would have learnt from the 3-4 loss at home but apparently not. Sometimes we have to play "smart" rather than stick to our usual style. The best teams change their formation and style according to the occasion. Would you rather play ugly and get 1 point or try to play as usual and get a trashing with 0 points? We need a Plan B which we don't seem to have at the moment.

Continue to play kamikaze v Leicester on Boxing Day and I am afraid it will be another footballing lesson from Mavididi, Dewsbury-Hall, Vardy & Co.

Absolutely agree. McKenna is usually faultless from a tactical point of view, but I feel that he got it wrong today.

If we had gone with the low block and tried to frustrate them, we might just have come away with a valuable point (and the 10-point gap intact).

Still, I'm hesitant to criticise McKenna too much. He's been excellent for us. I also firmly believe that he'll learn from today.
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:46 - Dec 23 with 2945 viewsHerbivore

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:31 - Dec 23 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Agree but not sure it would have made much of a difference today. We’ve got the most points from losing positions I think. We were just got battered simple as that. Leeds tactically wouldn’t have changed that much.

It's hard to say to be honest but no doubt that early goal had a big impact. When we've lost four nil it's very easy to say they were just better and would always have won but we've gone to other tough places and won. They're a very good side but life was made easier for them by that early goal, there wasn't much in it up until then, or really up until we scored the second for them.

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:48 - Dec 23 with 2914 viewsArnieM

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:31 - Dec 23 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Do you think WE should have changed our game today from being our usual open attacking style to a more defensive minded approach?

They caught us on the break for most of their goals with our forwards losing possession. Leeds pace in transition simply blasted through our midfield and had our defence back peddling. We can’t play chess type football all the time surely?

Scum parked the bus snd stole a point last week. Now I’m not advocating playing like that, I do wonder if we played right into Leeds hands today ….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:48 - Dec 23 with 2916 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:46 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

It's hard to say to be honest but no doubt that early goal had a big impact. When we've lost four nil it's very easy to say they were just better and would always have won but we've gone to other tough places and won. They're a very good side but life was made easier for them by that early goal, there wasn't much in it up until then, or really up until we scored the second for them.

The goal was on 7 minutes, they got behind was within 90 seconds with Davis pushing high. It was there all day for them I thought.
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:55 - Dec 23 with 2878 viewsITFCSG

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:48 - Dec 23 by ArnieM

Do you think WE should have changed our game today from being our usual open attacking style to a more defensive minded approach?

They caught us on the break for most of their goals with our forwards losing possession. Leeds pace in transition simply blasted through our midfield and had our defence back peddling. We can’t play chess type football all the time surely?

Scum parked the bus snd stole a point last week. Now I’m not advocating playing like that, I do wonder if we played right into Leeds hands today ….

We did play into Leeds' hands. Just like we preferred to play Bolton and Barnsley last season because they came right at us and allowed us to pick them off rather than Cheltenham or Lincoln who set up to frustrate. Leeds did to us what we did to Barnsley last season at Oakwell. As mentioned above, today was a kamikaze mission for us at Elland Road.

Style is one thing, but in the end it is the POINTS that really matter.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 17:00]
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:57 - Dec 23 with 2859 viewsHerbivore

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:55 - Dec 23 by ITFCSG

We did play into Leeds' hands. Just like we preferred to play Bolton and Barnsley last season because they came right at us and allowed us to pick them off rather than Cheltenham or Lincoln who set up to frustrate. Leeds did to us what we did to Barnsley last season at Oakwell. As mentioned above, today was a kamikaze mission for us at Elland Road.

Style is one thing, but in the end it is the POINTS that really matter.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 17:00]

And we've got 50 odd points in half a season. Clearly we're doing something very right.

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:58 - Dec 23 with 2847 viewsDJR

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 14:22 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

And just remember all the doom and gloom on here after the West Brom match which we followed with four straight wins.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 16:59]
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:58 - Dec 23 with 2830 viewspointofblue

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:57 - Dec 23 by Herbivore

And we've got 50 odd points in half a season. Clearly we're doing something very right.

But sometimes it's good to show respect to an opponent. It's been a great approach overall but naive today. Having Davis so high and leaving James in so much space, for example, was Christmas coming slightly early for Leeds.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 17:07 - Dec 23 with 2742 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:48 - Dec 23 by ArnieM

Probably but that’s hindsight. KM said he wanted to stick to the philosophy that has served us so well all season with being only at half way point I guess not in the business of trying to defend a 10 point lead. There might have a couple of away games that could/should be the exception and today was possibly one. There was a lot of pressure on Leeds to win and keeping it close as long as possible should have been the goal. Cov second half last week showed the crowd can get a bit restless and Leeds had to commit a lot to try and break them down.

Extremely hard to criticize though.
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 17:10 - Dec 23 with 2718 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It was a game we didn’t need to win. There would have been no shame in going there and sitting back. Coventry went there to get a point, and did so, I think there are a few occasions where it would be useful to be a bit streetwise. We also liked a bite to our tackles and despite getting a few yellows we were too nice. A few more niggly fouls and making them less comfortable, as I’m sure most Championship teams will do when they go to Elland Rd.

But context is everything, and we are in a place I couldn’t have dreamed about at the start of the season. Hopefully they can dust themselves down and go again as we have on the few occasions we’ve been beaten.
Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 17:12 - Dec 23 with 2681 viewspointofblue

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 17:10 - Dec 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It was a game we didn’t need to win. There would have been no shame in going there and sitting back. Coventry went there to get a point, and did so, I think there are a few occasions where it would be useful to be a bit streetwise. We also liked a bite to our tackles and despite getting a few yellows we were too nice. A few more niggly fouls and making them less comfortable, as I’m sure most Championship teams will do when they go to Elland Rd.

But context is everything, and we are in a place I couldn’t have dreamed about at the start of the season. Hopefully they can dust themselves down and go again as we have on the few occasions we’ve been beaten.

Two home games coming up. If we can get 4/6 that's a decent return.

The defeat isn't really the issue today; it's the manner of it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 17:13 - Dec 23 with 2671 viewsHerbivore

Totally Outplayed and Outclassed Today. on 16:58 - Dec 23 by pointofblue

But sometimes it's good to show respect to an opponent. It's been a great approach overall but naive today. Having Davis so high and leaving James in so much space, for example, was Christmas coming slightly early for Leeds.

We always show the opponent respect. That's part of the reason we're so successful.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024