Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our coaching is our super power 09:07 - Dec 14 with 2131 viewsGlasgowBlue

Watching Millwall last night. This is a team which missed out on the play offs on the last day of the season. They were clueless in possession. Every time one of their players received the ball they didn’t have a clue what to do with it.

Contrast that with Ipswich. Everything we do has a purpose. As soon as the ball leaves Hladky’s feet our ten outfield players know the drill and find space. When Morsy picks up the Burns and Chaplin know where to run. Harness of Broadhead know where Burns and Chaplin are going. Hirst knows when the ball will end up. It’s so fluid. Every part of our build up is like a set piece.

Every player has bought into McKenna’s philosophy. Can McKenna and his coaching staff really be that far ahead of 98%% of the other championship managers and coaches?

Or is it more complicated than that? Is the whole club from top to bottom run in such a way that we are squeezing an additional 10% from players who were in a league one last season that other clubs can’t get out if more seasoned pros at this level.

And can we keep this advantage going for another 5 and a half months?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Our coaching is our super power on 09:14 - Dec 14 with 2053 viewsMuncher

I think you're right, it's all down to the coaching. I don't see why we can't keep this level up, the players aren't suddenly going to forget how to play that way, in fact we will get better week on week.

The strength is in the system and the setup which I think makes us incredibly resilient as we can bring players in seemlessly who all totally buy into it.
Think it's pretty simple Glassers on 09:15 - Dec 14 with 2047 viewsDyland

McKenna and Ashton recruited a team that would be competitive in the Championship. We won 14 of our last 15 games and (with hindsight of course) it was demonstrably so.

Spot on about the coaching. Also got to give a lot of credit to the players as individuals, because as McKenna has said himself once on the pitch it's their job to make it work and adapt to how the opposition try and stop us.

No doubt we will continue scoring goals. Teams can't stop that. Whether we can continue outscoring the majority of the opp remains to be seen. But that's the way we play. Some very tough fixtures coming up and the mantra of one game at a time will benefit us enormously, win lose and draw.

COYFB!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Our coaching is our super power on 09:19 - Dec 14 with 1997 viewshomer_123

You've spelt 'money' wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our coaching is our super power on 09:19 - Dec 14 with 1991 viewsBlueDouglas

Millwall the worst team i've seen at PR so far this season, they looked terrible!
Our coaching is our super power on 09:24 - Dec 14 with 1957 viewsSteve_M

TBF to Millwall they're in the process of trying to change how they play having brought in a promising young coach in Joe Edwards. They may not have the right players to do that and they've only had a month or so to try and do that.

It's not surprising that they're a long way off where we are after two years of McK and a lot of continuity in style. That longevity of approach is as important as anything else.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Our coaching is our super power on 09:24 - Dec 14 with 1956 viewsfallyblue

We play a very simple game, whereas the keeper holds onto the ball until one of their players closes him down, which means we then have a spare player somewhere on the pitch, once we get the ball to him we have the overload. Other teams probably other than Leicester don’t have a keeper that is able to play that way, although many try they panic too early and hoof it at the first press. It was good the other night that when we gave away the goal we still stuck to our principles.
Our coaching is our super power on 09:31 - Dec 14 with 1853 viewstextbackup

The coaching, along with a consistent settle team. (Thanks to the medical team on the also as we are yet to have an injury crisis etc)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Our coaching is our super power on 09:35 - Dec 14 with 1812 viewssolemio

Our coaching is our super power on 09:19 - Dec 14 by homer_123

You've spelt 'money' wrong.

You've spelt 'wrongly' incorrectly.
Login to get fewer ads

Our coaching is our super power on 09:44 - Dec 14 with 1761 viewsRonFearonsHair

About half of our starting line-up each week are doing their coaching badges too. That’s a lot of additional hours of learning and practice.
Our coaching is our super power on 09:52 - Dec 14 with 1695 viewsSheffordBlue

The fact that most of the squad have been here for quite a while and have had at least one full pre-season has massively helped this. The regular two-game weeks make it really difficult for someone like Joe Edwards to get players playing differently during the season.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Our coaching is our super power on 09:54 - Dec 14 with 1664 viewsGuthrum

Our coaching is our super power on 09:24 - Dec 14 by fallyblue

We play a very simple game, whereas the keeper holds onto the ball until one of their players closes him down, which means we then have a spare player somewhere on the pitch, once we get the ball to him we have the overload. Other teams probably other than Leicester don’t have a keeper that is able to play that way, although many try they panic too early and hoof it at the first press. It was good the other night that when we gave away the goal we still stuck to our principles.

I think there's a little bit more to it than that, in the way our players have freedom to move around the pitch as play dictates (e.g. being comfortable on either side or through the middle, fullbacks way beyond the wide forward, CBs dribbling over halfway, the DM popping up to rob an opposition CB and score). Plus we're very good at rapidly switching play.

But that's style, rather than a magic formation or tactic which can be "found out" and countered. Teams which have used various forms of the press in an attempt to do so find that we still have in our locker the ability to go over the top, breaking the offside trap. And we only need the tiniest chink in their armour to exploit.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Our coaching is our super power on 10:15 - Dec 14 with 1539 viewsOldFart71

I think what amazes me the most is how the centre backs and fullbacks can be changed regularly but you don't notice the difference. I have said this before that two things I'd be concerned about. Firstly in either Morsy or Loungo were out for any length of time and also if Hirst wasn't available. But then I listened to the radio with regards to Newcastle Utd and apparently they have several out injured and it affects performance. Can you ever as a football club have two players for each position equally as good as each other ? possibly not. I suppose that is where utility players come in.
Our coaching is our super power on 10:39 - Dec 14 with 1472 viewsGuthrum

Our coaching is our super power on 09:44 - Dec 14 by RonFearonsHair

About half of our starting line-up each week are doing their coaching badges too. That’s a lot of additional hours of learning and practice.

That's quite astonishing. But will only serve to increase on-field, initiative, adaptability (the grasp of ideas) and leadership.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Our coaching is our super power on 10:49 - Dec 14 with 1414 viewshomer_123

Our coaching is our super power on 09:35 - Dec 14 by solemio

You've spelt 'wrongly' incorrectly.

Surely, I spelt wrongly, wrongly?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our coaching is our super power on 13:40 - Dec 14 with 1090 viewsSharkey

They may well be the best staff in the league, but I doubt a player moving to Blackburn, for example, would find that they’re totally clueless there. Playing with a swagger in league 1 may have been the best preparation for this assault on the Championshp .
Our coaching is our super power on 09:26 - Dec 15 with 715 viewstractorboy1978

Just seen Stoke are speaking to Lee Carsley. You are going to have most sides in the Championship trying to play the same way soon. And we seem to be miles better coached and well drilled at playing that way than most of the others. Suits us down to the ground.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024