Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rwanda a safe country? 16:56 - Dec 5 with 2318 viewsMercian

I am not yet 50 but I was an adult when a third of all Rwandans were killed in perhaps the worst genocide in the post war period. Even in the unlikely event that the courts pass this latest cr*p it will be hundreds at most who are sent there for the cost of many millions of pounds. Yesteday Cleverly actually announced some real policy part of it which I actually agreed with. Today he is spending our money on the continuation of this stupid Tory culture war. £Millions of tax payers money to appeal to a few thousand far right morons, I object to that. Cleverly seems just as bad as the rest of them.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 16:59]
Rwanda a safe country? on 17:10 - Dec 5 with 2252 viewsMattinLondon

It’s safe to send some really vulnerable people to but not safe for rich people to holiday.
Rwanda a safe country? on 17:14 - Dec 5 with 2230 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"it will be hundreds at most who are sent there" This is a key part of the policy. They don't want to deal with immigration as the issue is a vote-winner for them - watch out for those dangerous immigrants, we are the party to stop them! They even specifically mentioned protecting the population from illegal immigration as well as knife crime as a key tenet of the King's Speech.

The big issue is whether enough of the electorate are gullible enough to fall for their empty rhetoric.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:20 - Dec 5 with 2213 viewsSwansea_Blue

Up to a max of 500 per year they can take, isn’t it (and that’s unlikely to be reached)? Out of a backlog of roughly 135,000 asylum applications. So it will deal with 0.37% of the immediate problem that could be fixed by improving the application process instead for a fraction of the cost.

Or in other words, using their Rwanda Plan, it’ll take 270 years to process the backlog before even looking at any new arrivals.

How thick do you have to be to believe any of this stuff? Someone mentioned earlier that the Tories actually want this problem to give them an ‘enemy’ to fight. It’s hard to argue against that assessment.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:26 - Dec 5 with 2181 viewsMercian

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:14 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

"it will be hundreds at most who are sent there" This is a key part of the policy. They don't want to deal with immigration as the issue is a vote-winner for them - watch out for those dangerous immigrants, we are the party to stop them! They even specifically mentioned protecting the population from illegal immigration as well as knife crime as a key tenet of the King's Speech.

The big issue is whether enough of the electorate are gullible enough to fall for their empty rhetoric.

"This is a key part of the policy. They don't want to deal with immigration as the issue is a vote-winner for them"
That is really insightful and something that had not crossed my mind. They really don't do they? If there was not a problem they would have to find another issue. Perhaps attacking the homeless or vilifying those on benefits. They might suggest that reducing speed limits or no drive zones are commie attacks on freedom. They might even have to resort to to attacking The NHS, the people who died in their thousands during the pandemic when the then PM was throwing parties. No, they wouldn't stoop that low.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 17:27]
Rwanda a safe country? on 17:28 - Dec 5 with 2177 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:14 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Having just checked, there’s no theoretical limit, but Rwanda are geared up to take a hundred, possibly pushing up to 500 in a year. That’ll never be reached because of all the legal challenges. So I might have been optimistic with an estimate of 270 years. Could be nearer 500 to clear the backlog.

The only ‘problem’ here is that they’ve broken the immigration service along with everything else.

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:31 - Dec 5 with 2161 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:28 - Dec 5 by Swansea_Blue

Having just checked, there’s no theoretical limit, but Rwanda are geared up to take a hundred, possibly pushing up to 500 in a year. That’ll never be reached because of all the legal challenges. So I might have been optimistic with an estimate of 270 years. Could be nearer 500 to clear the backlog.

The only ‘problem’ here is that they’ve broken the immigration service along with everything else.

If all the money they have corruptly trousered were spent on fixing public services and processing asylum seekers, we wouldn't have half the problems they claim are beyond their control.

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:37 - Dec 5 with 2133 viewsMercian

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:31 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

If all the money they have corruptly trousered were spent on fixing public services and processing asylum seekers, we wouldn't have half the problems they claim are beyond their control.

After your last post I don't think they have any intention in doing a damn thing about any of it. They know they are going to lose. They can then point out that the country is severe debt, immigration is at an all time high and public services are failing and blame Starmer during his first PMQs. "It's the governments fault, the government is Labour and they have ruined the country"
Rwanda a safe country? on 17:38 - Dec 5 with 2124 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:37 - Dec 5 by Mercian

After your last post I don't think they have any intention in doing a damn thing about any of it. They know they are going to lose. They can then point out that the country is severe debt, immigration is at an all time high and public services are failing and blame Starmer during his first PMQs. "It's the governments fault, the government is Labour and they have ruined the country"

They still blame the last Labour government for it now.

Login to get fewer ads

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:44 - Dec 5 with 2112 viewsIllinoisblue

Haven’t Arsenal been encouraging people to visit Rwanda for the last few years? That always struck me as an odd relationship.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:45 - Dec 5 with 2108 viewsBlueBadger

Rwanda a safe country? on 17:38 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

They still blame the last Labour government for it now.

The party of personal responsibility, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Rwanda a safe country? on 07:54 - Dec 6 with 1794 viewsElephantintheRoom

You’re answering your own question are you not? Rwanda sounds ghastly, so it should act as a deterrent to all those people ‘breaking into our country’. As any gorilla will tell you it’s quite a nice place to live - but reality doesn’t really matter. Perception (and votes) are all. It’s only taxpayers money.

I was in Germany in the early 60s. Just 18 years earlier it wasn’t a very safe country either with a bit of genocide going on. But it was then - and is now.

Labour are going to reverse this anyway - so it’s largely a cynical policy to make Labour appear weak on immigration.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:26 - Dec 6 with 1752 viewsGlasgowBlue

Trevor Noah believes that white Europeans commenting negatively on Rwanda is offensive.

I think it’s possible to be against the UK government’s decision to wash its hands of responsibility for desperate people seeking refuge in this country without falling into lazy stereotypes about African countries.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:28 - Dec 6 with 1743 viewsHerbivore

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:26 - Dec 6 by GlasgowBlue

Trevor Noah believes that white Europeans commenting negatively on Rwanda is offensive.

I think it’s possible to be against the UK government’s decision to wash its hands of responsibility for desperate people seeking refuge in this country without falling into lazy stereotypes about African countries.

Didn't the Supreme Court consider reams of evidence in reaching their decision that Rwanda is not currently a safe country to send migrants to? I don't think they relied on lazy stereotypes, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:45 - Dec 6 with 1716 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:28 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Didn't the Supreme Court consider reams of evidence in reaching their decision that Rwanda is not currently a safe country to send migrants to? I don't think they relied on lazy stereotypes, mate.

I just think the whole Rwanda idea is akin to putting up a “country full” sign. Which is racist and panders to the likes of Braverman and her ilk. I don’t think we should be making negative comments about developing countries that we really don’t know enough about.

Fight the policy for what it is. Not where refugees are being sent. Otherwise it’s opens up other desks with countries that are considered more palatable

Edit. Sorry, I know you hate these edits but wasn’t Rwanda ruled as not safe because there was a fear of the migrants being sent back to their country of origin, not that Rwanda itself wasn’t safe?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 8:51]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:51 - Dec 6 with 1692 viewsDanTheMan

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:45 - Dec 6 by GlasgowBlue

I just think the whole Rwanda idea is akin to putting up a “country full” sign. Which is racist and panders to the likes of Braverman and her ilk. I don’t think we should be making negative comments about developing countries that we really don’t know enough about.

Fight the policy for what it is. Not where refugees are being sent. Otherwise it’s opens up other desks with countries that are considered more palatable

Edit. Sorry, I know you hate these edits but wasn’t Rwanda ruled as not safe because there was a fear of the migrants being sent back to their country of origin, not that Rwanda itself wasn’t safe?

I think you're both right, the policy of just sending refugees to some other third country is silly and even if it wasn't, Rwanda isn't the country we should be sending them to.

Our police have had to warn Rwandan nationals living in the UK that the Rwandan Government might try and assassinate them.

EDIT: In regards to your edit, both the refoulement and safety were taken into consideration.

Good surmising here but it's worth reading the full judgment - https://ukandeu.ac.uk/unpacking-the-supreme-courts-rwanda-decision/

Judgment - https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2023-0093-press-summary.pdf
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 8:53]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:52 - Dec 6 with 1692 viewsHerbivore

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:45 - Dec 6 by GlasgowBlue

I agree the attempts to outsource the problem are abhorrent regardless of where we are looking to send them. I just think it's also important to not throw around accusations of racism when the Supreme Court has considered a lot of evidence in reaching the verdict that Rwanda isn't a safe country to send migrants to.

Rwanda a safe country? on 09:09 - Dec 6 with 1650 viewsRadlett_blue

This was an utterly insane policy that was always likely to be successfully challenged in the courts. Sunak now seems to be throwing good money after bad. Unfortunately, the small boats crossing the Channel, which account for no more than 5% of annual UK immigration, get far more attention than they deserve, thanks to the Daily Mail & the rest of the media.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Rwanda a safe country? on 09:20 - Dec 6 with 1630 viewsGuthrum

Not to mention that Rwanda is deeply involved in the nastiness in eastern D.R. Congo, providing refuge and occasional off-the-record army assistance for rebel groups. Mostly a continuation of the Hutu-Tutsi strife which sparked the massacres of 1994.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rwanda a safe country? on 18:11 - Dec 6 with 1461 viewsPerublue

From a purely selfish point, this linked article highlights the fact that I have pretty much been exiled from returning to live in my own country forever unless I leave my wife of 20 years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67630258
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 18:17]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Rwanda a safe country? on 18:31 - Dec 6 with 1423 viewsJ2BLUE

Rwanda a safe country? on 18:11 - Dec 6 by Perublue

From a purely selfish point, this linked article highlights the fact that I have pretty much been exiled from returning to live in my own country forever unless I leave my wife of 20 years.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the living wage doesn't it? I would like to see Labour really go on the attack over that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rwanda a safe country? on 18:36 - Dec 6 with 1403 viewsPerublue

Rwanda a safe country? on 18:31 - Dec 6 by J2BLUE

Makes a bit of a mockery of the living wage doesn't it? I would like to see Labour really go on the attack over that.

We had been planning to move back in a year or so, after falling foul of the previous change in the law and a huge dollop of bad luck at the same time meant she had to leave the UK with our daughter (British too)..made the most of what fate had given us over the last decade...now this.....so,the odd trip back to help my daughter if she decides to go to Uni in the UK...that in itself also with the other changes makes it even more complicated.
I actually think Labour won't change it either...sooooo..anyway...just feeling sorry for ourselves,people have it much worse than us.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Rwanda a safe country? on 20:10 - Dec 6 with 1308 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Jenrick has resigned over this. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/robert-jenrick-quits-as-immigration-minist

"Robert Jenrick was said to have quit by one of his Home Office colleagues after the Prime Minister shunned taking the more hardline option with his new emergency legislation."

Rwanda a safe country? on 20:19 - Dec 6 with 1291 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rwanda a safe country? on 18:11 - Dec 6 by Perublue

I’m sorry about that. Although on the flip side, it’s not worth coming back at the moment. We’ll do our best to get these c**** (‘scuse language but it’s the least they deserve) out and then you may have a chance of making it.

Rwanda a safe country? on 20:53 - Dec 6 with 1249 viewsHerbivore

Rwanda a safe country? on 20:10 - Dec 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

Jenrick has resigned over this. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/robert-jenrick-quits-as-immigration-minist

"Robert Jenrick was said to have quit by one of his Home Office colleagues after the Prime Minister shunned taking the more hardline option with his new emergency legislation."

Imagine looking at a bill that is effectively an attack on the judiciary and an attempt to ride rough shod over legal due process just to be awful to some of the world's most vulnerable people and saying to yourself "nah, we've not gone far enough here". I've wiped better off my shoe than Robert Jenrick.

Rwanda a safe country? on 20:59 - Dec 6 with 1236 viewsBlueschev

Rwanda a safe country? on 08:26 - Dec 6 by GlasgowBlue

I was always under the impression that Africa was a continent where nothing ever grows, and no rain or rivers flow. Was I misinformed?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024