Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Beers 14:28 - Nov 20 with 6823 viewsford6600

If you could choose 5 Beers
or Lagers? Mine:-
Titanic 'Plum Porter'
Mauldons 'Blackberry Porter'
Elland '1872 Porter'
S&P 'BlackBerry Porter'
St Peter's 'Plum Porter'
Obviously beers would be on tap
permanently in superb condition!
Cheers...
Desert Island Beers on 08:29 - Nov 22 with 1274 viewsBloomBlue

Tolly Cobbold Dark Brown ale
Tolly Cobbold Light Bitter ale
Tolly Cobbold Export Pale ale
Tolly Cobbold Cobnut Brown ale
Tolly Cobbold Double Stout ale
Desert Island Beers on 14:48 - Nov 22 with 1228 viewssoupytwist

I have simple tastes, sadly a couple of these are no longer brewed:

Woodforde's Wherry
Bishop Nick 1555
Freeminer Speculation
Timothy Taylor Landlord
William Youngers No. 3
Desert Island Beers on 17:26 - Nov 22 with 1194 viewsDBaldy

Desert Island Beers on 22:18 - Nov 21 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Verdant are definitely up there with the UKs best for NEIPAs, along with Track, Polly's and Azvex.

There are several excellent online webshops, which often have decent intro offers. Happy to PM the best ones have found. Agree that beer 52 etc really aren't worth it - might be slightly cheaper but the quality is not great.

Indeed, big fans of all of those (although it appears I omitted Polly's from my list of breweries on my intiital reply in this thread!)

Actually had beers from Track and Pomona Island at lunchtime in Arcade Tavern, not bad at all.
Desert Island Beers on 17:31 - Nov 22 with 1185 viewsDBaldy

Desert Island Beers on 07:52 - Nov 22 by Bbmaj

Verdant also have a very fine bar in Falmouth, as I found when we “accidentally” ended up in Cornwall for a summer holiday recently. I participated in their crowdfunding, so finally had the chance to use my free beers card.

Their brewery had a taproom as well as direct sales at very good prices, main problem was availability as they couldn’t keep up with demand.

Some craft brewers will not survive in such a busy market, but I hope Verdant just go from strength to strength. Quality of product deserves it.

Indeed they do - me and a mate managed to wangle a long weekend in Cheltenham at Easter so that we could tie in a trip to the DEYA taproom with our away game in April, but so far we haven't been able to persuade our respective wives regarding a trip to Penryn to visit Verdant!

However we are planning a trip to Manchester next year, purely to visit the taprooms at Track, Sureshot and Cloudwater, so fingers crossed we get that signed off!
Desert Island Beers on 19:27 - Nov 22 with 1132 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Desert Island Beers on 17:31 - Nov 22 by DBaldy

Indeed they do - me and a mate managed to wangle a long weekend in Cheltenham at Easter so that we could tie in a trip to the DEYA taproom with our away game in April, but so far we haven't been able to persuade our respective wives regarding a trip to Penryn to visit Verdant!

However we are planning a trip to Manchester next year, purely to visit the taprooms at Track, Sureshot and Cloudwater, so fingers crossed we get that signed off!

Excellent plan, Pomona island are just in Salford too. If possible, I'd very much recommend heading across to Liverpool to go to Azvex - absolutely superb.
Desert Island Beers on 19:46 - Nov 22 with 1109 viewsDBaldy

Desert Island Beers on 19:27 - Nov 22 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Excellent plan, Pomona island are just in Salford too. If possible, I'd very much recommend heading across to Liverpool to go to Azvex - absolutely superb.

Yeah we've discussed Azvex as a possibility, would love to go there as well but think we'll run out of time.

Forgot Pomona Island were up there so might try to squeeze in a visit there as well.

I'm also starting to think it might end up being more than just a weekend trip!
Desert Island Beers on 16:58 - Dec 7 with 892 viewscatch74

Desert Island Beers on 15:05 - Nov 20 by ford6600

Old Thumper used to be 5.6%
When it really was a beast of a beer.
Marston's bought Ringwood Brewery
in 2007 and now want to close it down.
They tried making it a session beer
by bringing it down in strength.Sad

Even sadder than that!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67630739

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Desert Island Beers on 19:40 - Dec 8 with 786 viewsford6600

Desert Island Beers on 16:58 - Dec 7 by catch74

Even sadder than that!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67630739

Sad but not surprising. Went on brewery tour there in 2015. Had halves of Best bitter,
Boon Doggle, Fortyniner and Old Thumper (5.1%) at brewery shop after. Jugs of ale direct
from vats, very fresh. Staff said a local customer was boycotting Old Thumper until its
reinstated at 5.6%...they didn't. Staff proposed a lock in, l was up for it but others on tour
including my wife weren't! At Q&A l asked why name Boon Doggle chosen. They said staff
invited to evening lock in to decide on new brew name, But couldn't agree so another lock in following night(nice!). l said sounded similar to Doom Bar, was that why, they said not.
Small brewey site but no doubt will go residential, land must be worth a fortune...
Login to get fewer ads

Desert Island Beers on 09:26 - Dec 9 with 741 viewsNBVJohn

Samuel Smith’s Old Brewery Bitter
Aspall’s Draft Cider
Paulaner Pilsner
Camden Off Menu IPA
I’d crawl over broken glass for just one last pint of my Dad’s home brew in his esteemed company. Magical
Desert Island Beers on 10:03 - Dec 9 with 726 viewsflatlettuce

When in the UK....

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA (if I see it, I buy it)

And my usual drinking over here in Deutschland....

Maisels Weisse
Weihanstefaner Helles
Augustiner Helles
Almost any helles from Bamberg or Bayreuth.

Oberpfälzisch beer is extraordinary. And then of course I'll end up drinking Berliner Kindl Jubilaums as it's only 50c a bottle on offer...
Desert Island Beers on 12:43 - Dec 9 with 699 viewsFreddies_Ears

Desert Island Beers on 10:03 - Dec 9 by flatlettuce

When in the UK....

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA (if I see it, I buy it)

And my usual drinking over here in Deutschland....

Maisels Weisse
Weihanstefaner Helles
Augustiner Helles
Almost any helles from Bamberg or Bayreuth.

Oberpfälzisch beer is extraordinary. And then of course I'll end up drinking Berliner Kindl Jubilaums as it's only 50c a bottle on offer...

Helles in Bamberg?? That is a bit radical!
Desert Island Beers on 17:47 - Dec 14 with 574 viewsford6600

In conclusion, a typical Town fan would want the following on there D.I;
1. Beer Ghost Ship
2. Cider Aspall's
3. Lager Stella
4. Stout Guinness
5. (Retro) Abbot Ale (c1978 when it was rich and complex)...
Big shout out for Verdant brews, all sound excellent and recommended by several Town fans.
Cheers
Desert Island Beers on 18:08 - Dec 14 with 565 viewsCotty

Southwold
Jackhammer
Landlord
Wreckless
Probably jackhammer again
Desert Island Beers on 18:11 - Dec 14 with 559 viewsDBaldy

Desert Island Beers on 17:47 - Dec 14 by ford6600

In conclusion, a typical Town fan would want the following on there D.I;
1. Beer Ghost Ship
2. Cider Aspall's
3. Lager Stella
4. Stout Guinness
5. (Retro) Abbot Ale (c1978 when it was rich and complex)...
Big shout out for Verdant brews, all sound excellent and recommended by several Town fans.
Cheers

If you're in Ipswich, Arcade Tavern have 3 or 4 Verdant beers on tap at the moment on a rolling basis (all of which I've had several times over the years and can thoroughly recommend!)
Desert Island Beers on 18:19 - Dec 14 with 546 viewsford6600

Desert Island Beers on 18:11 - Dec 14 by DBaldy

If you're in Ipswich, Arcade Tavern have 3 or 4 Verdant beers on tap at the moment on a rolling basis (all of which I've had several times over the years and can thoroughly recommend!)

Thanks will look in soon...on match days usually go to same pubs, 'spoons, Dove and Black Horse. Amazingly never had a Verdant, soon to be remedied! 🍺🍺🍺
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024