Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Beers 14:28 - Nov 20 with 6821 viewsford6600

If you could choose 5 Beers
or Lagers? Mine:-
Titanic 'Plum Porter'
Mauldons 'Blackberry Porter'
Elland '1872 Porter'
S&P 'BlackBerry Porter'
St Peter's 'Plum Porter'
Obviously beers would be on tap
permanently in superb condition!
Cheers...
Desert Island Beers on 18:58 - Nov 20 with 2151 viewsstonojnr

Desert Island Beers on 16:51 - Nov 20 by norfsufblue

Brazilian Coffee & Vanilla Porter (Colchester Brewery)
Chocolate Truffle stout ( The Porterhouse Brewery)
Hemel & Aarde smoked beer (Brouwerij de Molen)
Two Tone MIld (Shortts Brewery ,Thorndon)
Guinness Foriegn Extra Stout

My Untappd rating history finally of some use!!!šŸ‘šŸ˜‚
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 17:47]

that would be no good to me, as all my top rated beers are the obscure rare high special abv ones, that would be no good on a desert island.

Brewers Gold - Crouch Vale
Regatta - Adnams
Old - Adnams
Summer Dream - Green Jack
Landlord - Timothy Taylors
Desert Island Beers on 19:04 - Nov 20 with 2135 viewslowhouseblue

southwold
victoria
green jack jackalope
nethergate venture
adnams mosaic

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Desert Island Beers on 19:33 - Nov 20 with 2092 viewshoppy

Skinners Cornish Knocker or Betty Stogs
St Austell Proper Job
St Austell Tribute
Fullers Honey Dew
Adnams Tally Ho

Itā€™s a really difficult one, as thereā€™s so many others I couldā€™ve included.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Desert Island Beers on 19:38 - Nov 20 with 2077 viewsbluelagos

Desert Island Beers on 19:33 - Nov 20 by hoppy

Skinners Cornish Knocker or Betty Stogs
St Austell Proper Job
St Austell Tribute
Fullers Honey Dew
Adnams Tally Ho

Itā€™s a really difficult one, as thereā€™s so many others I couldā€™ve included.

No non alcoholic choices ?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Desert Island Beers on 19:39 - Nov 20 with 2063 viewsnorfsufblue

Desert Island Beers on 18:58 - Nov 20 by stonojnr

that would be no good to me, as all my top rated beers are the obscure rare high special abv ones, that would be no good on a desert island.

Brewers Gold - Crouch Vale
Regatta - Adnams
Old - Adnams
Summer Dream - Green Jack
Landlord - Timothy Taylors

Well the Guinness foreign extra stout should be up to the job, the Brazilian wouldnā€™t be there long !šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Desert Island Beers on 19:44 - Nov 20 with 2050 viewsford6600

Desert Island Beers on 18:09 - Nov 20 by bluelagos

Assuming we are allowed Lagers/Ciders...

Aspalls
Budweiser budvar (The Czech one)
Windhoek lager
Caffreys irish ale
Gordon's Spark (Nigerian alcopop)

Yes beers, lagers or ciders...
Desert Island Beers on 21:12 - Nov 20 with 2007 viewshoppy

Desert Island Beers on 19:38 - Nov 20 by bluelagos

No non alcoholic choices ?

Nobody said Iā€™d have to be the designated driver.

Desert Island Beers on 21:26 - Nov 20 with 1988 viewsWeWereZombies

Desert Island Beers on 16:25 - Nov 20 by solemio

I probably drink more of your first two than anything else. I was surprised to find both readily available when we were in Slovenia a few years ago.

Yeah, I've seen Adnams for sale in a bar in Ljubljana.

Green Jack LGM 1
Titanic Plum Porter (from a cask)
Adnams Oyster stout
Earl Soham Gannet mild
Grain Oak bitter

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

Desert Island Beers on 21:44 - Nov 20 with 1953 viewsChurchman

Fosters
Carlsberg
London Pride
Spitfire
Directors

Used to like GK Abbott back in the day when it was the real deal. Yeah I know. No taste, but there it is.
Desert Island Beers on 00:11 - Nov 21 with 1916 viewswkj

All I would need is Ghost Ship so I could sail home and get a proper drink, like Scotch. That said I might also get my thrills from a bishop's finger for those long lonely nights at sea...

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Desert Island Beers on 00:23 - Nov 21 with 1902 viewsIPS_wich

Great thread - I would have to pick a variety of beer styles, which means it's not necessarily my top 5 beers because then they would probably all be some form of Pale Ale.

1: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - would be my choice if I was only allowed one beer

2: Little Creatures Pale Ale - quite similar to Sierra Nevada, but slightly lighter (makes the list because I only live 5 km from the brewery in Fremantle and on tap it is just divine)

3: Guinness - probably the beer I've drunk more pints of in my life than any other - that first deep sip just makes me happy every time

4: Qusquena - would need one lager for super hot days and it would be a toss up between this South American beauty, a couple of the Asian lagers (Asahi/Tsingtao) or a German Helles.

5: Electric Dry Hop Acid by The Garage Project (a New Zealand craft brewery that keeps smashing out fantastic beers) - I've been really enjoying sour beers in the height of summer and this sadly short run special edition from 2021/22 was a cracker - but my desert island so they can make it again. An instant subtle hoppiness that gets overtaken by a wickedly sour lemon/grapefruit hit. An absolute gem and I am so sad they only ran it for 12 months.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 0:24]
Desert Island Beers on 07:58 - Nov 21 with 1837 viewsBbmaj

Desert Island Beers on 17:17 - Nov 20 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Allen - Verdant
Take my Place - Track
Salted caramel choc chip cookie - Amundsen Bryggeri
King JJJulius - Tree House Brewing Co
Blackcurrant Kir Royale - Vault City

Logged in mostly to salute you and your taste.

I would find it very hard to choose as I seek variety most of all, but for a good session in UK climate if accept:

Anything from Verdant to start - maybe 7% the sweet spot for their pale ales, love the DIPAs but donā€™t want to go too big too soon.
Grind from Brewdog really surprised me, so much flavour for a low ABV coffee stout and this would perk me right up.
Next I think a Wild beer Ninkasi for the palate cleanse
Then Iā€™ll have a Northern Monk/Deya Vermont IPA from recent collaboration
To close, I would want at least one barrel aged imperial stout, perhaps a KBS Bourbon chocolate coffee number.
Desert Island Beers on 11:40 - Nov 21 with 1767 viewsredrickstuhaart

Some of you folk do drink some trash....

Pilsner urquell
Le trappe blonde
Ename blonde
Blue moon
Tanglefoot
Desert Island Beers on 12:35 - Nov 21 with 1742 viewsDBaldy

Why only 5?! I'm an absolute craft beer nut and go out of my way to try as many new beers as I possibly can, so whittling the list down to 5 proved very tricky although I tried to go for a mix of styles.....

Verdant - Quiet Charge or People Money Space Time - Verdant are my favourite brewery and these are 2 of the best beers I've ever had, remarkable for the relatively low ABV

Cloudwater - DIPA v11 - one of the first "craft" beers I had 7/8 years ago and still my highest rated beer on UnTappd. It was a one-off but oh to have the chance to try it again!

Vault City - DDH Hard Lemonade - I love a fruity sour beer in the summer and this is the best sour I've had.

Brew York - The Dream Child - this is the best dark beer I've ever had by an absolute mile. A 14% pastry stout that tasted just like a rocky road chocolate bar! Unbelievable, but unfortunately another one-off (although I managed to get 3 cans of it!)

Tree House - Julius - this had been on my UnTappd wish list for years before I got to try it, and it more than lived up to the hype

Lots of honourable mentions for beers by Verdant, DEYA, Sureshot, Track, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Azvex and others.

Great idea for a thread, surprised it hasn't been done before!
Desert Island Beers on 12:38 - Nov 21 with 1742 viewsFreddies_Ears

I suspect I know some of the contributors to this in RL...

With apologies to the hundred or so great ales that didn't quite make the list...

Theakston Old Peculier (from the wood)
Adnams Tally Ho
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Joseph Holt Bitter
Earl Soham Gannet Mild
Desert Island Beers on 12:38 - Nov 21 with 1739 viewsDBaldy

Desert Island Beers on 07:58 - Nov 21 by Bbmaj

Logged in mostly to salute you and your taste.

I would find it very hard to choose as I seek variety most of all, but for a good session in UK climate if accept:

Anything from Verdant to start - maybe 7% the sweet spot for their pale ales, love the DIPAs but donā€™t want to go too big too soon.
Grind from Brewdog really surprised me, so much flavour for a low ABV coffee stout and this would perk me right up.
Next I think a Wild beer Ninkasi for the palate cleanse
Then Iā€™ll have a Northern Monk/Deya Vermont IPA from recent collaboration
To close, I would want at least one barrel aged imperial stout, perhaps a KBS Bourbon chocolate coffee number.

I salute you too!

If you're Ipswich based I'm going to assume you know about Hopsters bottle shop on St Nicholas Street, but if not you need to pay them a visit!
Desert Island Beers on 13:23 - Nov 21 with 1715 viewshoppy

Desert Island Beers on 12:38 - Nov 21 by Freddies_Ears

I suspect I know some of the contributors to this in RL...

With apologies to the hundred or so great ales that didn't quite make the list...

Theakston Old Peculier (from the wood)
Adnams Tally Ho
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Joseph Holt Bitter
Earl Soham Gannet Mild

A mighty fine choice... I have enjoyed a very good Old Peculiar fairly recently in the Dove.

The Adnams Tally Ho also made my shortlist - I now know it's not really a session beer though.

Desert Island Beers on 18:48 - Nov 21 with 1663 viewsford6600

Desert Island Beers on 16:51 - Nov 20 by norfsufblue

Brazilian Coffee & Vanilla Porter (Colchester Brewery)
Chocolate Truffle stout ( The Porterhouse Brewery)
Hemel & Aarde smoked beer (Brouwerij de Molen)
Two Tone MIld (Shortts Brewery ,Thorndon)
Guinness Foriegn Extra Stout

My Untappd rating history finally of some use!!!šŸ‘šŸ˜‚
[Post edited 20 Nov 2023 17:47]

A connoisseurs selection!
Desert Island Beers on 18:53 - Nov 21 with 1649 viewsford6600

Desert Island Beers on 00:23 - Nov 21 by IPS_wich

Great thread - I would have to pick a variety of beer styles, which means it's not necessarily my top 5 beers because then they would probably all be some form of Pale Ale.

1: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - would be my choice if I was only allowed one beer

2: Little Creatures Pale Ale - quite similar to Sierra Nevada, but slightly lighter (makes the list because I only live 5 km from the brewery in Fremantle and on tap it is just divine)

3: Guinness - probably the beer I've drunk more pints of in my life than any other - that first deep sip just makes me happy every time

4: Qusquena - would need one lager for super hot days and it would be a toss up between this South American beauty, a couple of the Asian lagers (Asahi/Tsingtao) or a German Helles.

5: Electric Dry Hop Acid by The Garage Project (a New Zealand craft brewery that keeps smashing out fantastic beers) - I've been really enjoying sour beers in the height of summer and this sadly short run special edition from 2021/22 was a cracker - but my desert island so they can make it again. An instant subtle hoppiness that gets overtaken by a wickedly sour lemon/grapefruit hit. An absolute gem and I am so sad they only ran it for 12 months.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 0:24]

No5 sounds awesome!
Desert Island Beers on 18:56 - Nov 21 with 1638 viewsford6600

Desert Island Beers on 12:35 - Nov 21 by DBaldy

Why only 5?! I'm an absolute craft beer nut and go out of my way to try as many new beers as I possibly can, so whittling the list down to 5 proved very tricky although I tried to go for a mix of styles.....

Verdant - Quiet Charge or People Money Space Time - Verdant are my favourite brewery and these are 2 of the best beers I've ever had, remarkable for the relatively low ABV

Cloudwater - DIPA v11 - one of the first "craft" beers I had 7/8 years ago and still my highest rated beer on UnTappd. It was a one-off but oh to have the chance to try it again!

Vault City - DDH Hard Lemonade - I love a fruity sour beer in the summer and this is the best sour I've had.

Brew York - The Dream Child - this is the best dark beer I've ever had by an absolute mile. A 14% pastry stout that tasted just like a rocky road chocolate bar! Unbelievable, but unfortunately another one-off (although I managed to get 3 cans of it!)

Tree House - Julius - this had been on my UnTappd wish list for years before I got to try it, and it more than lived up to the hype

Lots of honourable mentions for beers by Verdant, DEYA, Sureshot, Track, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Azvex and others.

Great idea for a thread, surprised it hasn't been done before!

Great selection, l will have to check out for instance Verdant which comes up on many lists...
Desert Island Beers on 20:56 - Nov 21 with 1596 viewsVanSaParody

With all these "Desert Island..." threads, you'd think someone would have done a desert island...

Flares

or

Inflatable with outboard motor
Desert Island Beers on 21:42 - Nov 21 with 1554 viewsDBaldy

Desert Island Beers on 18:56 - Nov 21 by ford6600

Great selection, l will have to check out for instance Verdant which comes up on many lists...

Verdant are an absolute must if you like or want to try hazy IPA's and pale ales, arguably the best brewery in the UK for those.

I don't do the Beer52 or Brewster type deals as I'm too fussy, but I'm pretty sure you can find Verdant in some of those (or order direct from their website like me!)
Desert Island Beers on 22:18 - Nov 21 with 1540 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Desert Island Beers on 21:42 - Nov 21 by DBaldy

Verdant are an absolute must if you like or want to try hazy IPA's and pale ales, arguably the best brewery in the UK for those.

I don't do the Beer52 or Brewster type deals as I'm too fussy, but I'm pretty sure you can find Verdant in some of those (or order direct from their website like me!)

Verdant are definitely up there with the UKs best for NEIPAs, along with Track, Polly's and Azvex.

There are several excellent online webshops, which often have decent intro offers. Happy to PM the best ones have found. Agree that beer 52 etc really aren't worth it - might be slightly cheaper but the quality is not great.
Desert Island Beers on 07:43 - Nov 22 with 1456 viewsBbmaj

Desert Island Beers on 12:38 - Nov 21 by DBaldy

I salute you too!

If you're Ipswich based I'm going to assume you know about Hopsters bottle shop on St Nicholas Street, but if not you need to pay them a visit!

Thank you!

Iā€™m not Ipswich based, but stumbled across Hopsters one match day - been searching for it ever since.

Next time Iā€™m in Town Iā€™ll pay a visit.
Desert Island Beers on 07:52 - Nov 22 with 1444 viewsBbmaj

Desert Island Beers on 21:42 - Nov 21 by DBaldy

Verdant also have a very fine bar in Falmouth, as I found when we ā€œaccidentallyā€ ended up in Cornwall for a summer holiday recently. I participated in their crowdfunding, so finally had the chance to use my free beers card.

Their brewery had a taproom as well as direct sales at very good prices, main problem was availability as they couldnā€™t keep up with demand.

Some craft brewers will not survive in such a busy market, but I hope Verdant just go from strength to strength. Quality of product deserves it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024