Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Having watched Town in 5 23:27 - Nov 8 with 2710 viewsBlueStreak

It should have been three pens.

The late tackle on Jackson is a foul anywhere else on the pitch. That’s a pen. Three. Ffs.
Having watched Town in 5 on 23:34 - Nov 8 with 2670 viewsjayessess

You never get those though. It's basically a iron rule that once you've got your cross or shot off in the penalty area, it doesn't matter if you're fouled afterwards.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Having watched Town in 5 on 01:42 - Nov 9 with 2569 viewsStenvict

Prime example being the foul on Harness in the 1st half when he broke away, and played a ball that went out, but he was brought down, so got the free kick.

However, I don't think the Jackson incident was very obvious to the ref.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Having watched Town in 5 on 06:14 - Nov 9 with 2428 viewsBlueStreak

Having watched Town in 5 on 01:42 - Nov 9 by Stenvict

Prime example being the foul on Harness in the 1st half when he broke away, and played a ball that went out, but he was brought down, so got the free kick.

Exactly this. May not have been obvious to the ref but he had a lino about 5 meters away that could have said something.
Having watched Town in 5 on 07:13 - Nov 9 with 2371 viewsnorfsufblue

Having watched Town in 5 on 01:42 - Nov 9 by Stenvict

Nothing was obvious to that ref, nor the one at Huddersfield for that matter!
Having watched Town in 5 on 07:14 - Nov 9 with 2366 viewsFtnfwest

Separate incident which was in the middle of the pitch where Rotherham were starting a break and Jackson tackled from behind cleanly to start what would have been a very good opportunity and was pulled up for a foul (1st half). Ref just went with a preconceived view that you can’t tackle from behind at all.
Having watched Town in 5 on 08:32 - Nov 9 with 2224 viewsGarv

Having watched Town in 5 on 23:34 - Nov 8 by jayessess

You never get those though. It's basically a iron rule that once you've got your cross or shot off in the penalty area, it doesn't matter if you're fouled afterwards.

The only example of that I remember was Ainsley Maitland-Niles being 'fouled' for a penalty at home in front of the Sir Alf in 2015/16. Can't remember who it was against but it was one of the softest penalties I've ever seen.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Having watched Town in 5 on 08:42 - Nov 9 with 2172 viewsFrimleyBlue

Having watched Town in 5 on 07:14 - Nov 9 by Ftnfwest

Separate incident which was in the middle of the pitch where Rotherham were starting a break and Jackson tackled from behind cleanly to start what would have been a very good opportunity and was pulled up for a foul (1st half). Ref just went with a preconceived view that you can’t tackle from behind at all.

Was that the one where he played on. Saw the Rotherham player stayed down and then blew for a freekick.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Having watched Town in 5 on 09:13 - Nov 9 with 2130 viewsportmanroadblue

Having watched Town in 5 on 06:14 - Nov 9 by BlueStreak

Exactly this. May not have been obvious to the ref but he had a lino about 5 meters away that could have said something.

That linesman gave us nothing all evening
Login to get fewer ads

Having watched Town in 5 on 09:16 - Nov 9 with 2121 viewsusm

I dont think any of them were clear and obvious.
The handball and the Hirst one would probably have been given by VAR but not the Jackson one.
Just the way it goes, I'm afraid. Our time will come.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Having watched Town in 5 on 10:37 - Nov 9 with 1995 viewsLankHenners

Having watched Town in 5 on 08:32 - Nov 9 by Garv

The only example of that I remember was Ainsley Maitland-Niles being 'fouled' for a penalty at home in front of the Sir Alf in 2015/16. Can't remember who it was against but it was one of the softest penalties I've ever seen.

The one where he was running full speed before someone slid in and wiped him out as he played the ball across the box?

There'd only be 3 or 4 penalties in a whole season if the bar for a foul was any higher than that!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Having watched Town in 5 on 10:57 - Nov 9 with 1962 viewsSwansea_Blue

The force of that last push on Jackson is no different to the one given for the free kick that lead to the goal. But their player is coming from the side and Jackson got his cross away. So for me it was the weakest of the three calls. Whether it should have been given I'm not sure. Robust challenges should be part of the game, but ultimately he played the man and not the ball.

There'll be different views on that one, but the other two were clear. It was a pretty poor refereeing performance, it must be said.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Having watched Town in 5 on 11:04 - Nov 9 with 1947 viewsSwansea_Blue

Having watched Town in 5 on 06:14 - Nov 9 by BlueStreak

Believe it or not, a lot of refs instruct the linos to follow their lead on all decisions except for offsides (and they don't even do those now in the PL). It avoids potential confusion/incidents that would arise if the lino flagged for an infringement that the ref thought was ok. And bizarrely this extends to throw ins, despite the linos normally being in the best position. It's why you'll often see delays in the flag going up if the ref takes some time to make a decision. The linos pretty much just there for the offsides and to indicate the ref's decision to the players/crowd. They'll rarely volunteer up a decision of their own.

Having watched Town in 5 on 11:25 - Nov 9 with 1914 viewsStenvict

Having watched Town in 5 on 11:04 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

Believe it or not, a lot of refs instruct the linos to follow their lead on all decisions except for offsides (and they don't even do those now in the PL). It avoids potential confusion/incidents that would arise if the lino flagged for an infringement that the ref thought was ok. And bizarrely this extends to throw ins, despite the linos normally being in the best position. It's why you'll often see delays in the flag going up if the ref takes some time to make a decision. The linos pretty much just there for the offsides and to indicate the ref's decision to the players/crowd. They'll rarely volunteer up a decision of their own.

I hope that was the case for the lino to not vigorously wave his flag when Omari was sithed down by their left back, leading to a booking.

Having watched Town in 5 on 11:25 - Nov 9 with 1912 viewsStenvict

Having watched Town in 5 on 08:32 - Nov 9 by Garv

Was that Birmingham at home on a Friday night on Sky?

Having watched Town in 5 on 12:00 - Nov 9 with 1852 viewsStewart27

Having watched Town in 5 on 07:13 - Nov 9 by norfsufblue

Nothing was obvious to that ref, nor the one at Huddersfield for that matter!

That ref was everything I dislike in referees.

Box to box he had his whistle glued to his lips making himself centre of attention. In the box it was different rules. Pathetic performance.
Having watched Town in 5 on 15:20 - Nov 9 with 1675 viewsGarv

Having watched Town in 5 on 10:37 - Nov 9 by LankHenners

The one where he was running full speed before someone slid in and wiped him out as he played the ball across the box?

There'd only be 3 or 4 penalties in a whole season if the bar for a foul was any higher than that!

Have you found a clip of it? No one expected it to be given, it was hilariously harsh. His momentum was taking him off the pitch already and he'd comfortably crossed it into the box.

Like someone said earlier, they don't get given. It's basically an un-written rule. Not exactly the same but similar to when a keeper comes flying out to punch and misses, instead connecting with a player (e.g Onana against Wolves and the Soton one at home to Brum this season).

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Having watched Town in 5 on 15:36 - Nov 9 with 1655 viewsLankHenners

Having watched Town in 5 on 15:20 - Nov 9 by Garv

Have you found a clip of it? No one expected it to be given, it was hilariously harsh. His momentum was taking him off the pitch already and he'd comfortably crossed it into the box.

Like someone said earlier, they don't get given. It's basically an un-written rule. Not exactly the same but similar to when a keeper comes flying out to punch and misses, instead connecting with a player (e.g Onana against Wolves and the Soton one at home to Brum this season).

Move starts from about 1.50 here. Not really comparable to the aforementioned challenges in the box as rather than being bundled into AMN is completely taken out by a mistimed slide tackle which is always a pen.

GKs generally get a bit overprotected from refs but your examples don't back you up at all as for the Onana one the PGMOL apologised to Wolves after the incident and said they should have been awarded a penalty for it.

Having watched Town in 5 on 19:12 - Nov 9 with 1484 viewsjayessess

Having watched Town in 5 on 15:36 - Nov 9 by LankHenners

Move starts from about 1.50 here. Not really comparable to the aforementioned challenges in the box as rather than being bundled into AMN is completely taken out by a mistimed slide tackle which is always a pen.

GKs generally get a bit overprotected from refs but your examples don't back you up at all as for the Onana one the PGMOL apologised to Wolves after the incident and said they should have been awarded a penalty for it.

Despite that one being given, you still really see how much protection defenders get for late tackles in the box. AMN barely appeals, the defender is confused, the commentator talks about "bemusement".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Having watched Town in 5 on 19:23 - Nov 9 with 1460 viewsSwansea_Blue

Having watched Town in 5 on 19:12 - Nov 9 by jayessess

Despite that one being given, you still really see how much protection defenders get for late tackles in the box. AMN barely appeals, the defender is confused, the commentator talks about "bemusement".

Yep. Anywhere else on the pitch, a tackle that takes out a player after the ball has been played would be a foul. They’re late or mistimed tackles. It’s probably one of the most common fouls given! It should really matter whether the striker was able to get a shot off or cross the ball (although play the advantage, obviously).

Having watched Town in 5 on 19:24 - Nov 9 with 1454 viewsLankHenners

Having watched Town in 5 on 19:12 - Nov 9 by jayessess

No I agree with the original point, never argued against it, just thought the AMN one was a strange example to give seeing as it's quite different to the incident with Jackson the other night.

Not sure the Birmingham commentator saying 'to the bemusement of some' as the defenders appeal against it counts as a lot of surprise about the decision to be honest!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024