Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup 11:47 - Nov 1 with 2459 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I know I got absolute pelters the last time I said that, but Ipswich is absolutely a big enough club to win the League Cup (and complete the domestic treble). We have been Quarter and Semi-Finalists numerous times and it would be nice to see Ipswich finally lift it, and win a trophy in Wembley again (along with the European qualification it comes with).

I look at what Leicester did in the 90's, making three finals and winning two, it was a big stepping stone in the progress of that club to where they are now and we should absolutely aim to emulate that.

I really hope we win tonight!
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:49 - Nov 1 with 2075 viewswkj

I respect the league cup and the FA cup. I would love to see it too.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:52 - Nov 1 with 2036 viewsGeoffSentence

For all that as Town fans we claim that it is a mickey mouse cup, surely we'd all like to win it.

Certainly be nice to complete the domestic set.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:57 - Nov 1 with 1997 viewsJ2BLUE

Where did you get pelters for saying you wanted to see Town win something?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:58 - Nov 1 with 1992 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:52 - Nov 1 by GeoffSentence

For all that as Town fans we claim that it is a mickey mouse cup, surely we'd all like to win it.

You could argue that the Texaco Cup was "mickey mouse" yet it launched Ipswich and Robson onto bigger and better things. We've not won a major trophy for 40 something years, that's generations of fans who have never seen it now, it would be nice to get back to competing for trophy's again. We've also never won at the new Wembley, it would be amazing to see us lift some silverware there and I'd rather the League Cup than the Playoffs because f' the playoffs haha!
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:58 - Nov 1 with 1985 viewsVegtablue

It would be amazing to win the lesser cup as a team outside the top 20 but, once again, we won't be taking it seriously with our selection tonight. 2nd XI incoming and 100% the right decision.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:59 - Nov 1 with 1976 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'd like to stay in it as long as possible to give our second string game time. If we were to reach the final, it means they get more. That's all it really means to me.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:59 - Nov 1 with 1970 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:57 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

Where did you get pelters for saying you wanted to see Town win something?

The League Cup and Ipswich Town by ChampionsofInnsbruck 26 Sep 2023 14:34
I thought I would open up a debate on why so many of our fans deride the League Cup (and other cup competitions as a whole) when it is the third most important club competition in the country and one, we’ve never won?

The last non-super club to win it was Swansea way back in 2013, and then before that Birmingham in 2011. It’s a competition that Ipswich as a club is historically big enough to win, Leicester have won it three times, Norwich have won it twice, as have Birmingham, Middlesborough have won it once as have Luton and Oxford. Why couldn’t Ipswich win the competition? Of course, the big clubs have monopolised it in recent years, which shows you it does actually have some worth in their eyes, but not ours? Every time we play in the League Cup, we see comments about it being mickey mouse, a waste of time, focus on the league and so on. It’s not true, is it? There is a trophy, prize money and importantly European football for the winner.

I may be unpopular in saying this, but we have no room to be arrogant about Cups these days, we’ve not won one for 45 years (domestic) and we’ve only won one other (the Texaco Cup, which evolved into the much-mocked EFL Trophy which most call the “Pizza Cup”). I just wonder where this dismissal of cups has come from. I don’t understand it, I am happy to see us finally start progressing in the FA and League Cups again. I hated losing year on year or being dumped out by clubs with players earning a 5ver a week. A particular low point was sending a second string to Old Trafford to lose to protect a non-existent league challenge.

I am glad we are no longer just participants, of course I am realistic, we wouldn’t likely beat Manchester City if we played them, but I would like to see us try.

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:00 - Nov 1 with 1961 viewsbluelagos

Last night I looked at the teams left and did allow myself a "Could we?" moment. A sure sign we will get royally fcked tonight.

Be a pessimist - then everything that isn't sh1t is a bonus - much easier way of living life than being constantly let down :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:01 - Nov 1 with 1959 viewsHullblue

It would be funny to win the only thing Norwich have ever won, too. Participation trophies not withstanding.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:05 - Nov 1 with 1927 viewsPinewoodblue

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:59 - Nov 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'd like to stay in it as long as possible to give our second string game time. If we were to reach the final, it means they get more. That's all it really means to me.

Have your considered the possibility of 2 FA cup games, and home & away league Cup Semi finals, in January?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:07 - Nov 1 with 1902 viewsJ2BLUE

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:59 - Nov 1 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I thought I would open up a debate on why so many of our fans deride the League Cup (and other cup competitions as a whole) when it is the third most important club competition in the country and one, we’ve never won?

The last non-super club to win it was Swansea way back in 2013, and then before that Birmingham in 2011. It’s a competition that Ipswich as a club is historically big enough to win, Leicester have won it three times, Norwich have won it twice, as have Birmingham, Middlesborough have won it once as have Luton and Oxford. Why couldn’t Ipswich win the competition? Of course, the big clubs have monopolised it in recent years, which shows you it does actually have some worth in their eyes, but not ours? Every time we play in the League Cup, we see comments about it being mickey mouse, a waste of time, focus on the league and so on. It’s not true, is it? There is a trophy, prize money and importantly European football for the winner.

I may be unpopular in saying this, but we have no room to be arrogant about Cups these days, we’ve not won one for 45 years (domestic) and we’ve only won one other (the Texaco Cup, which evolved into the much-mocked EFL Trophy which most call the “Pizza Cup”). I just wonder where this dismissal of cups has come from. I don’t understand it, I am happy to see us finally start progressing in the FA and League Cups again. I hated losing year on year or being dumped out by clubs with players earning a 5ver a week. A particular low point was sending a second string to Old Trafford to lose to protect a non-existent league challenge.

I am glad we are no longer just participants, of course I am realistic, we wouldn’t likely beat Manchester City if we played them, but I would like to see us try.

Hardly pelters mate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:08 - Nov 1 with 1896 viewshatch

Expecting my first child the weekend of the final so my wife has put money on Ipswich to make the final so if we do then at least we're financially sound when I miss it.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:12 - Nov 1 with 1876 views_clive_baker_

The only competition I have zero respect for is the stuffed crust trophy. I said last season I wouldn't have even gone to the final had we got there. Yes it's a chance to go to Wembley, but frankly I would rather wait and it not be in such a tin pot competition.

The League Cup clearly has more prestige than that, but it's the 3rd priority this season after the league and FA Cup, as it probably is for every club. The approach of making wholesale changes is the right one for me to a) protect those playing a lot of league games and minimise their exposure to injury, while b) keeping the wider squad match fit and engaged.

Hopefully a much changed side can still give Fulham a test, but if we go out tonight I would still maintain it's the right thing to do. If we could win 1 of the next 2 I'm choosing Birmingham every day of the week.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:14 - Nov 1 with 1862 viewsBigCommon

Seriously think that if we get to the Prem' , and are looking safe, then KM would have a real proper go at winning The League Cup..
I don't want to belittle the competition, but with our current resources, and incredible start to the season. Promotion has to be the main priority, imo. With that said, I wont be too disappointed if we go down fighting tonight..
When I look at who's left in the competition, I'd say that Newcastle and Man U, will be more desperate than any of the rest, to win this..
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:14 - Nov 1 with 1851 viewsBondiBlue

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:08 - Nov 1 by hatch

Expecting my first child the weekend of the final so my wife has put money on Ipswich to make the final so if we do then at least we're financially sound when I miss it.

Children never turn up on time though

Poll: Which would you accept?

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:16 - Nov 1 with 1831 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:05 - Nov 1 by Pinewoodblue

Have your considered the possibility of 2 FA cup games, and home & away league Cup Semi finals, in January?

No, should I?

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:19 - Nov 1 with 1801 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:58 - Nov 1 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

You could argue that the Texaco Cup was "mickey mouse" yet it launched Ipswich and Robson onto bigger and better things. We've not won a major trophy for 40 something years, that's generations of fans who have never seen it now, it would be nice to get back to competing for trophy's again. We've also never won at the new Wembley, it would be amazing to see us lift some silverware there and I'd rather the League Cup than the Playoffs because f' the playoffs haha!

You'd rather win the League Cup than get promoted to the Prem?!

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:20 - Nov 1 with 1790 views_clive_baker_

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:05 - Nov 1 by Pinewoodblue

That's a nice problem to have though. There would be nothing stopping us making even more severe changes in that situation should we so wish, with the likes of Slicker, Baggott, Humphreys, Carr, Valentine etc who are some way off the 1st XI. Scarlett will also benefit from the FA Cup games, Tuanzebe too if he needs match sharpness ahead of potentially replacing Burgess when he goes off on international duty. It's also a good opportunity to introduce any new January additions, if eligible.

I would rather have that scenario and use it to our advantage to get competitive games into the whole squad. I trust KM and co that the league would always remain the priority.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:27 - Nov 1 with 1735 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:19 - Nov 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

You'd rather win the League Cup than get promoted to the Prem?!

That's not exactly what I was getting at, I was saying my preference would be for us to win one of the big Cups at Wembley rather than the Playoffs. I hate the Playoffs generally, sure they are route up and wouldn't complain if we got up that way, but by the same token, if we managed to avoid them forever, I'd be a happy man as I have had my fill of that misery for a lifetime!

In terms of significance, the League Cup is a bigger honour than the Championship Playoffs are, even if there is less money than promotion. It's one of England's big 3 and is a route to Europe which is not to be sniffed at.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:39 - Nov 1 with 1687 viewsRadlett_blue

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:52 - Nov 1 by GeoffSentence

Hmm...we deride the Pizza Cup, or whatever it is, as tin pot. Given that Town haven't won a trophy (excluding the 2nd tier league) for over 40 years, it might be fun to win a League Cup (or even reach a final). Yes, I know it's unlikely, given that the squads of the PL big boys are so strong these days that the last 10 League Cups have been won by Man City (6), Man U (2), Chelsea & Liverpool.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 14:10 - Nov 1 with 1591 viewsVegtablue

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:59 - Nov 1 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

That was a very unsubtle post in my opinion.

You attempted to rebound the 'participants' charge and elevate Norwich's greatest moments, which were interesting inclusions given the number of League Cup winners and descriptions available to you. You also highlighted a perceived absence of success, when there aren't heaps of clubs with more than one FA Cup to their name. We have stumbled into two League Cup SFs this century as it happens, while fielding weaker sides. I'm guessing you'd have to travel further back for Norwich's last run to the last four of a cup.

You argued the success of big clubs was evidence of its prestige, rather than the natural consequence of their extended squads being stronger than everyone else's. It is hard to compete first XI Vs first XI against the 'super clubs' that hoard talent, let alone second XI vs second XI. Ours outplaying Wolves' was a great achievement and showed we have better squad depth than many of us thought.

You attempted to suggest the denigration of the Mickey Mouse cup is an Ipswich-specific issue and argued it isn't true, when it's the prevalent sentiment nationwide and has been since the tournament's creation. Type "Mickey Mouse cup" into Google and the first available link is to a Wikipedia page referencing the League Cup. It is true and it's the reason we'll play our second string again tonight when we are one win away from the QFs, in solidarity with almost all other clubs that will do the same. Norwich are outliers if they regard it differently, but I don't know they do in fairness to them.

The only part I strongly agreed with is that it isn't a waste of time. It's important for squad morale and sharpness to get minutes into players on the periphery of the starting lineup. In this respect the League Cup serves a useful purpose and nearly every club uses the tournament this way. It's a pizza cup for the top two divisions and we're disappointed Scarlett is ineligible. Would we put out our league starters if we made the QFs? Only if it's a glamour tie IMO and even then I wouldn't be surprised either way.

All the above being true, winning a tournament that is now compulsory for the 92 would still be great fun for all Town fans. Nobody goes out of their way to do it but nonetheless it would be an excellent achievement for any Championship club, given the chasm between resources now. Man City's second string are something to behold.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 14:20 - Nov 1 with 1567 viewsBiGDonnie

Don't worry if you miss it, you'll be around for his/her first birthday

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 14:21 - Nov 1 with 1551 views_clive_baker_

Congratulations Hatch
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 15:10 - Nov 1 with 1460 viewshatch

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 12:14 - Nov 1 by BondiBlue

Children never turn up on time though

Well it's due one week before, so I'm expecting it that weekend!

Thanks Clive.
I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 15:39 - Nov 1 with 1398 viewsJon_456

I would love to see Ipswich win the League Cup on 11:58 - Nov 1 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

“We’ve also never won at the new Wembley”. We’ve not even played there yet!

Shows how depressing it’s been supporting this club for the last 15years or so until GC came along.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024