Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? 04:57 - Nov 1 with 4556 viewsIPS_wich

I was listening to the KOA podcast this morning and it was mentioned that following the recent managerial sackings KMac is now the fourth longest serving manager in the Championship (and the second and third longest serving managers have only been in their roles a couple of weeks longer than him).

It got me thinking, that from our current position, with the huge backing of the fans and credits he has in the bank, what would it take for him to lose the fans and the backing of the Board?

Would we have the patience of the late-90s fans if he had us in and around the Top 6 of the Championship for the next five years without getting promoted? Or has he achieved so much in such a short space of time that it's inconceivable that he would lose your support?

I think for me, he has my absolute trust and it would probably take 2-3 consecutive bottom eight finishes in the Championship for me to lose faith in him - and for what it's worth I just don't see that happening.

I just hope that if we do get promoted and end up as a yo-yo club for a few years (which realistically is where we probably should be in the football pyramid) that he retains the backing of the fans.

Not intended as a negative post - he's almost unsackable in my eyes - but us fans can be a fickle lot.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 12:50 - Nov 1 with 953 viewssjg

I was one of the (with hindsight...) idiots questioning his ability after Bristol Rovers and Cambridge in particular (I am dreading the day that I praise McKenna and someone references some threads I started... ). I still think we were lucky last season (although on balance, deserved it) with Wednesday's fall off and keeping Luongo fit - while Humphreys may well go on to be an important player for us in years to come, he wasn't suitable for what McKenna needs from a 2 in midfield. It was this that I became frustrated with, mainly - we kept trying the same thing over and over again, despite it failing several times. Rather than address this by changing the system, he chose to drop certain players at Cambridge who I felt were at no fault for the poor run. At that point, it felt to me as though he had effectively said 'well what I'm doing is fine, but if the players can't do it that's up to them'.

Obviously with hindsight the above reads like complete nonsense, and to answer the question in the original post with the rapport he has built up with players and supporters alike it would take something extreme for me to call for his head again. Lessons learned!
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 13:00 - Nov 1 with 923 viewsKeno

starts wearing green and yellow, listens to the smiths while eating Battenberg, declares he is Delia smith and Grant Holts long lost love child and then calls Phil a 'naughty word'

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 13:36 - Nov 1 with 891 viewsStu_Magoo

I think he could shag my missus and I'd still be happy to see him in the dugout come Saturday.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 14:41 - Nov 1 with 872 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If he doesn't carry on at this current rate he should get sacked. I want 120 points, anything else is a monumental failure.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

If McKenna ever started speaking like this about away games... on 15:27 - Nov 1 with 841 viewsunstableblue

... perhaps I'd start to question his management

“If you’d have offered me a point before the game I wouldn’t have even got on the bus. I’d have stayed down in Ipswich and not bothered travelling four-and-a-half hours and nearly having a bleeding heart attack in the last minute.

“I apologise for the **** standard of game that you’ve just all watched, but I’m not going to apologise for getting a point away from home – no way!

“It was pretty poor, but it’s a point"

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 15:32 - Nov 1 with 830 viewsKeno

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 13:36 - Nov 1 by Stu_Magoo

I think he could shag my missus and I'd still be happy to see him in the dugout come Saturday.

what about if he did that in the dugout come Saturday?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If McKenna ever started speaking like this about away games... on 16:01 - Nov 1 with 817 viewspositivity

If McKenna ever started speaking like this about away games... on 15:27 - Nov 1 by unstableblue

... perhaps I'd start to question his management

“If you’d have offered me a point before the game I wouldn’t have even got on the bus. I’d have stayed down in Ipswich and not bothered travelling four-and-a-half hours and nearly having a bleeding heart attack in the last minute.

“I apologise for the **** standard of game that you’ve just all watched, but I’m not going to apologise for getting a point away from home – no way!

“It was pretty poor, but it’s a point"

depends who we're playing. if it's man city away i'd have more sympathy than, say, a rotherham team who hadn't won in dozens!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 17:18 - Nov 1 with 795 viewsVic

Just think George Burley!

Promotion to the prem, a season beyond our wildest dreams then it all went pear shaped.

Or SBR - those of us around in the 70's will remember that many were calling for his head when we flirted with relegation in the 77/78 season - the year we won the FA Cup!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:26 - Nov 2 with 743 viewsBloomBlue

Well if you take at half time in the Cardiff game when losing a few fans booed as the players left the pitch. Plus some bedwetting after last night's defeat in a cup game. I will predict if we lose 2 league games in a row, some fans will start to turn against him.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 16:18 - Nov 2 with 692 viewsBlueBlueBlood

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:26 - Nov 2 by BloomBlue

Well if you take at half time in the Cardiff game when losing a few fans booed as the players left the pitch. Plus some bedwetting after last night's defeat in a cup game. I will predict if we lose 2 league games in a row, some fans will start to turn against him.

Start using Mark Ashton's oil
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 16:18]
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 16:20 - Nov 2 with 685 viewsTractorCam

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:20 - Nov 1 by TractorCam

Lose tonight

Some have taken this quite seriously.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 20:14 - Nov 2 with 645 viewsN2_Blue

Make 11 changes and play a 2nd string in the league cup

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 21:27 - Nov 2 with 627 viewsHelp

point 1 leave ITFC
point 2 ask MA
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024