Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antisemitism yesterday 13:10 - Oct 29 with 7585 viewsZx1988

Chap in my vicinity decided to direct some antisemitic invective towards the referee during the first half yesterday, at the point when he was endearing himself to precisely none of the home crowd.

Reported it to the text number, as requested, and was wholly disappointed with the response. Having to explain precisely why "you're f**king ___ing us, ref" was offensive, was a particular low-light of the exchange which resulted in precisely no action being taken.

Is this level of inaction par for the course from the text number? I assume it's a central league-run line rather than being club-run?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:15 - Oct 29 with 4654 viewsDJR

That's a real shame.

Maybe in future reporting it to a steward might be the best way, because even if it is difficult to prove the commission of an offence, they presumably would be able to eject him, which at least might teach him a lesson. And the club would then be able to identify him by virtue of his seat, and might take some action.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:16]
Antisemitism yesterday on 13:18 - Oct 29 with 4611 viewsZx1988

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:15 - Oct 29 by DJR

That's a real shame.

Maybe in future reporting it to a steward might be the best way, because even if it is difficult to prove the commission of an offence, they presumably would be able to eject him, which at least might teach him a lesson. And the club would then be able to identify him by virtue of his seat, and might take some action.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:16]

That was what was particularly disappointing from the text line - gave them the seat location (block, Row, number), description of the gent, and description of those around him, including that he was directly in front of a chap in a red coat.

Response: "is it true red, or burgundy?".

The entire tenor of the conversation was that if they could draw it out until full time they could get away with doing nothing.

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:23 - Oct 29 with 4538 viewsDJR

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:18 - Oct 29 by Zx1988

That was what was particularly disappointing from the text line - gave them the seat location (block, Row, number), description of the gent, and description of those around him, including that he was directly in front of a chap in a red coat.

Response: "is it true red, or burgundy?".

The entire tenor of the conversation was that if they could draw it out until full time they could get away with doing nothing.

I am not sure if you've already done this, but Kick It Out could be an alternative.

https://www.kickitout.org/report

EDIT: if you used the following, it suggests it goes through to the Match Control Room, but maybe that is run by the matchday security firm rather than the club, and they may have less interest in pursuing this sort of thing, being more concerned with violence and the like.

https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/gc-media-assets.gc.ipswichtownfcservices.co.u

Another alternative would be to contact the club, who might not know of the inadequacy in the system. Or maybe contact a group such as Rainbow Tractors, which is concerned with discrimination of a different sort, but might have close contact with the club and know how best to approach it.

[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 17:41]
Antisemitism yesterday on 13:25 - Oct 29 with 4506 viewsAlexMathie

How did you report it?

www.turfgame.com

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:31 - Oct 29 with 4452 viewsAlexMathie

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:25 - Oct 29 by AlexMathie

How did you report it?

Sorry, I see you said text in the OP. There was a bit on the Town TV coverage pre-game that if you witness any discrimination to text ITFC and your message to 60650. I guess this was probably what you did. May be still worth bringing it to the clubs attention via another avenue.

www.turfgame.com

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:39 - Oct 29 with 4383 viewsSitfcB

I’m probably being thick but what was the word used?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:41 - Oct 29 with 4377 viewsZx1988

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:39 - Oct 29 by SitfcB

I’m probably being thick but what was the word used?

A couple of instances of calling the referee a Jew (preceded by various adjectives), and the phrase in question was "you're effing Jewing us".

Essentially the usual antisemitic tropes of corruption/dishonesty etc.,
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:43]

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:44 - Oct 29 with 4310 viewsbluelagos

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:41 - Oct 29 by Zx1988

A couple of instances of calling the referee a Jew (preceded by various adjectives), and the phrase in question was "you're effing Jewing us".

U 100% sure it wasn't "You're screwing us"?

Only say that as "You're Jewing us" doesn't make any sense to me.

(Not for a minute calling you a liar - and absolutely any racism should always be called out - no problem with that at all)
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:46]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:47 - Oct 29 with 4269 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:41 - Oct 29 by Zx1988

Wow! Never ever heard that expression and still unsure what it even means! Clearly abusing the ref on an assumption (or knowledge) that he is a Jew is bang out of order and it is disappointing that nothing was done about it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:49 - Oct 29 with 4246 viewsDJR

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:44 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

U 100% sure it wasn't "You're screwing us"?

Only say that as "You're Jewing us" doesn't make any sense to me.

(Not for a minute calling you a liar - and absolutely any racism should always be called out - no problem with that at all)
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:46]

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Jewing+us

EDIT: this, also concerning Jew used as a verb, is even more authoritative.

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/jew_v?tl=true

[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:55]
Antisemitism yesterday on 13:51 - Oct 29 with 4187 viewsbluelagos

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:49 - Oct 29 by DJR

Well, have learned something new, thx for the info.

(shame it's real - disgusting to use the term Jew as an insult in that manner)

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:52 - Oct 29 with 4155 viewsPlums

Haven't heard it used since the mid-80's. What a sad sign of regression if it's returning.
Well done to the OP for reporting it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:52 - Oct 29 with 4153 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Thanks for enlightening us. I was unaware of that until now. Glad to say I have never heard it used and hope I never do.

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:55 - Oct 29 with 4103 viewsMullet

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:52 - Oct 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Thanks for enlightening us. I was unaware of that until now. Glad to say I have never heard it used and hope I never do.

I heard it in America nearly 20 years ago, but didn't realise it was used over here.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:56 - Oct 29 with 4077 viewsDJR

Antisemitism yesterday on 13:52 - Oct 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

To be honest, I hadn't heard it used that way either, but assumed the missing letters in the OP and its likely meaning, and did a bit of digging to confirm.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 13:58]
Antisemitism yesterday on 16:49 - Oct 29 with 3649 viewsRyorry

Well done reporting it, and please do persist in following it up if the report you made continues to be ignored.

Had never heard of that particular abusive phrase before - absolutely disgusting, what a sickener for it to oame out at PR.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Antisemitism yesterday on 17:32 - Oct 29 with 3504 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m late to this thread. But firstly, thanks for noticing and reporting the incident. All credit to you.

Secondly, I’ve noticed a few comments saying that they haven’t heard this expression for several decades. Unfortunately, with people like Kanye West, with his enormous reach, normalising antisemtism, these types of expressions are being used more and more.

Another phrase that is often used by younger people is “Jew Goal”, which originated from the FIFA computer game. There is a bloke called Marlon Solomon, who Cotty turned me into a few years ago on here, who tours the country with his show “How to be an Anti Semite”, which covers a lot of these phrases and how they are being more commonly used.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Antisemitism yesterday on 17:33 - Oct 29 with 3510 viewsblueasfook

Oh, I thought you were going to refer to the incidents of anti-semitism and assaults on police officers at the march yesterday. Silly me.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Antisemitism yesterday on 18:04 - Oct 29 with 3358 viewsRyorry

Antisemitism yesterday on 17:33 - Oct 29 by blueasfook

Oh, I thought you were going to refer to the incidents of anti-semitism and assaults on police officers at the march yesterday. Silly me.

It’s appalling wherever it occurs surely.

No need to have a go for something the OP may be unaware of (as I was).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Antisemitism yesterday on 18:25 - Oct 29 with 3239 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another learning experience on TWTD. I’be never heard that and didn’t realise it was a thing, and would have initially assumed the OP misheard. But most probably not (and I’ve no reason to doubt the OP of course). So in that case, it’s a disappointing response by the club. We should have a 100% non-tolerance to discriminatory chanting of any type. That doesn’t just mean saying it, it means taking complaints seriously too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

[Redacted] on 18:25 - Oct 29 with 3255 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Antisemitism yesterday on 20:29 - Oct 29 with 2924 viewsZx1988

Antisemitism yesterday on 16:49 - Oct 29 by Ryorry

Well done reporting it, and please do persist in following it up if the report you made continues to be ignored.

Had never heard of that particular abusive phrase before - absolutely disgusting, what a sickener for it to oame out at PR.

I've emailed the club with the details and my thoughts, copying in Kick It Out and the Community Safety Trust. It'll be interesting to hear their response.

There is, sadly, a nagging feeling that it would have been dealt with more swiftly and decisively had it involved, say, racial abuse of a player.

Antisemitism yesterday on 20:31 - Oct 29 with 2907 viewsSwansea_Blue

[Redacted] on 18:25 - Oct 29 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

That’s some accusation. I don’t believe for a minute that Phil’s hosting a site harbouring antisemites. If you think he is, I suggest you report the relevant posts to admin.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Antisemitism yesterday on 20:38 - Oct 29 with 2846 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Antisemitism yesterday on 17:32 - Oct 29 by GlasgowBlue

I’m late to this thread. But firstly, thanks for noticing and reporting the incident. All credit to you.

Secondly, I’ve noticed a few comments saying that they haven’t heard this expression for several decades. Unfortunately, with people like Kanye West, with his enormous reach, normalising antisemtism, these types of expressions are being used more and more.

Another phrase that is often used by younger people is “Jew Goal”, which originated from the FIFA computer game. There is a bloke called Marlon Solomon, who Cotty turned me into a few years ago on here, who tours the country with his show “How to be an Anti Semite”, which covers a lot of these phrases and how they are being more commonly used.

It is helpful to be aware of these phrases so we can do something about them if we hear them. It is also disgraceful that there are people like those you mention and Andrew Tate not just normalising but even pushing horrific behaviour on impressionable followers.

Antisemitism yesterday on 20:43 - Oct 29 with 2824 viewsbluelagos

Antisemitism yesterday on 20:29 - Oct 29 by Zx1988

I've emailed the club with the details and my thoughts, copying in Kick It Out and the Community Safety Trust. It'll be interesting to hear their response.

There is, sadly, a nagging feeling that it would have been dealt with more swiftly and decisively had it involved, say, racial abuse of a player.

Good on you for following up. Lets hope it gets properly investigated, should be very easy to work out who the guy is, or at least who the seat was sold to.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024