Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blood tests 12:33 - Oct 11 with 1863 viewsitfc_bucks

I'm a colossal wimp - got to have blood tests imminently, and I'm no big fan. I used to give blood, but after a mishap there, it's gotten properly into my head.

Does anyone have hints/tips for coping?

Considering hypnosis, but open to suggestions.

Preferably serious ones.
Blood tests on 12:39 - Oct 11 with 1823 viewssoupytwist

I have experienced the same - used to give blood, had a bit of a mishap and stopped. In the past six months have had four blood tests and before the first was really dreading it.

My coping technique has just been to not look at my arm while it's being done and basically focus on something else in the room. Normally there's been a radio playing so I've sung along in my head with whatever's on the radio.

By the time the fourth one came along I had become OK with it but the first two were a bit dodgy. They generally involve a small prick (fnarr, fnarr) and it's not painful.
Blood tests on 12:41 - Oct 11 with 1800 viewsthorpedo

I too am a wimp when it comes to needles. I always ask to lie down when I have blood taken, as it is hard to faint whilst lying down! I count my fingers as I press them into my other leg - something else to focus on. It is always the thought of them that is the worst. I feel like a hero once it is done!

Thorpedo

Blood tests on 12:51 - Oct 11 with 1748 viewsDanTheMan

I don't have anything specifically for blood tests but for things that I hear a phobia of, I find that talking with someone to distract your mind helps loads.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Blood tests on 12:54 - Oct 11 with 1739 viewsjontysnut

Blood tests on 12:39 - Oct 11 by soupytwist

I have experienced the same - used to give blood, had a bit of a mishap and stopped. In the past six months have had four blood tests and before the first was really dreading it.

My coping technique has just been to not look at my arm while it's being done and basically focus on something else in the room. Normally there's been a radio playing so I've sung along in my head with whatever's on the radio.

By the time the fourth one came along I had become OK with it but the first two were a bit dodgy. They generally involve a small prick (fnarr, fnarr) and it's not painful.

Same here, look the other way and get a tune in my head. That and remembering lines from The Blood Donor. " It may be just a smear to you mate but it's life and death for some poor wretch"
Blood tests on 13:18 - Oct 11 with 1659 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

There’s a real skill to taking blood which can and should be near painless. If you go often enough, you can get to know the good nurses. But always tell them that you’re worried. See if you can identify a good location, eg the top of the mid-arm or even your hand as surprisingly pain free locations as compared to the crook of your arm.

But I agree re the distraction. Again, done well it should be near-painless and over very quickly.

Good luck!
Blood tests on 13:20 - Oct 11 with 1654 viewsEnigma_Blue

If by mishap you mean fainting. My advice to you is to advise them you fainted the last time you had a blood test and ask if you can lie down when having the blood taken. They should be happy for you to do so as they don't want someone to hurt themselves if they faint. Also take a bottle of water with you so you can drink it immediately after. While the blood is being drawn from your arm just think of something to take your mind of it. Ipswich thumping Norwich in the derby match for example (very soon to be a reality )
Blood tests on 13:28 - Oct 11 with 1617 viewsMookamoo

Suffolk Wellbeing service do CBT therapy for needle phobia. Not sure if there is something similar to where you are.
Blood tests on 13:32 - Oct 11 with 1606 viewsusm

I struggle with needles too - and I also used to give blood.
Now I make sure the nurse knows I have a bit of a phobia and I always look away. I used to have to lie down but now I sit. The thought of it is always worse than the actual event and its just a few seconds - thats what I tell myself beforehand.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

Blood tests on 13:56 - Oct 11 with 1534 viewsfactual_blue

Just don't look.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Blood tests on 14:03 - Oct 11 with 1508 viewsDJR

I have a similar anxiety. Indeed, I once fainted at a hospital appointment discussing surgery to my broken nose, and woke up on hospital trolley. Quite what the people in the waiting room thought had happened to me is another matter.

Anxiety UK have produced the leaflet on the following link which includes ways of overcoming needle phobia.

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/products/anxiety-condition/injectionneedle-phobia/n

I printed it out about 4 years ago when my mother first started going into hospital but haven't got round to reading it yet because the problem is not an imminent thing I have to overcome, shunning as I do giving blood. But as I get older, with the risk of hospital trips, I will certainly have to overcome it.

I might add that, related to my anxiety, I used to have a fear of being in a hospital because of the presence of all sorts of nasty things connected to the body. But I found out that by visiting my elderly parents in hospital on many occasions, my fear disappeared because I was able blank out all such medical devices from my vision and mind.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 14:07]
Blood tests on 14:58 - Oct 11 with 1438 viewsBent_double

I've tried to give blood a couple of times over the past few years, both times ending in failure, not getting further than the initial finger prick!

After it happened the second time and I was explaining that I wasn't great with needles, one of the nurses told me it probably wasn't for me...

I even fainted after my first covid jab....after making sure I was OK and didn't need to go to hospital, they only let me go home once a family member came to collect me....the only person available was my teenage son....I'll never live that down.

As others have said, lie down when they're doing it, legs elevated if you can, and distract yourself somehow, I just usually talk rubbish to the nurse until they're done. I'm usually a bit sweaty afterwards, but a bottle of water and brief rest and I'm good to go,

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Blood tests on 15:24 - Oct 11 with 1401 viewsBasuco

I am a regular blood donor but I can only donate from my left arm, can you remember which arm your failed blood donation was from? I would suggest talking to the phlebotomist while they take the sample, maybe recite the alphabet backwards as a distraction would help, or tell them the passing sequence of Towns second goal against Hull starting with the Hladky drag back, that should distract you long enough to not even realise it has been done. Good Luck.
Blood tests on 19:03 - Oct 11 with 1256 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Blood tests on 12:54 - Oct 11 by jontysnut

Same here, look the other way and get a tune in my head. That and remembering lines from The Blood Donor. " It may be just a smear to you mate but it's life and death for some poor wretch"

Have you given any blood before?
Given no, spilt yes. Are you familiar with the Ardennes?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Blood tests on 20:24 - Oct 11 with 1173 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Tell the nurse.

Say you used to give blood etc.

Say that you don't want to see anything. Needle, syringe, blood vial.

Look the other way. They will do it all and put it all away and tell you when you can look again.

They would rather that than have you faint, bang your head etc.

They might take the piss a bit. They might not.
Blood tests on 21:03 - Oct 11 with 1140 viewsPinewoodblue

Don't look. Greedy nurse, when had annual check up last week, took 5 phials worth.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Blood tests on 21:59 - Oct 11 with 1092 viewsjaykay

Blood tests on 21:03 - Oct 11 by Pinewoodblue

Don't look. Greedy nurse, when had annual check up last week, took 5 phials worth.

never had a problem with blood tests, maybe its because the nurses at our surgery are so good , sometimes they say all done and i never felt a thing. my last visit the nurse took 5 phials of my blood as she said you dont look good and i will get the hospital to due several tests. glad she did as i got a call that night saying you got 2 get to hospital straight away for a blood transfusion. my blood count was 64 and should be over 128. so 2 bags of blood and one of a iron mixture.
i must have got the blood from a 18 year old because at 74 i feel great

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024