Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football 20:33 - Oct 7 with 6722 viewstomo

Took hours to get through Marks Tey today. Dumped the motor at Sainsburys and pegged it to the ground. Banged on the door and persuaded the stadium Manager to let the sweaty mess I was in on 50 minutes. Just home. Worth every second!
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 20:34 - Oct 7 with 5020 viewshomer_123

Don't worry. You didn't miss much.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 21:53 - Oct 7 with 4720 viewsPendejo

Where from?

I set out 10:00 from Surrey Quays, that usually guarantees an arrival no later than midday.

There had been an accident at Kelvedon that had closed A12 both ways, then that debacle that is Mark's Tey, we were at Stanway at 14:10 and readying ourselves to miss the start.
Liberal use of accelerator when back on A12, and we parked up next to Gyppeswyck Park just after 14:30, in the ground and to seat before players came out. But a bit sweaty.

After game, visited my father before hitting the road, arriving at Limehouse at 20:00 to discover a monster traffic jam, so big ragged thru city to drop my passenger at London Bridge for jubilee line, just got home via corner shop as desperately wanted to celebrate that with a beer.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 23:04 - Oct 7 with 4477 viewsStevieH

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 21:53 - Oct 7 by Pendejo

Where from?

I set out 10:00 from Surrey Quays, that usually guarantees an arrival no later than midday.

There had been an accident at Kelvedon that had closed A12 both ways, then that debacle that is Mark's Tey, we were at Stanway at 14:10 and readying ourselves to miss the start.
Liberal use of accelerator when back on A12, and we parked up next to Gyppeswyck Park just after 14:30, in the ground and to seat before players came out. But a bit sweaty.

After game, visited my father before hitting the road, arriving at Limehouse at 20:00 to discover a monster traffic jam, so big ragged thru city to drop my passenger at London Bridge for jubilee line, just got home via corner shop as desperately wanted to celebrate that with a beer.

We got home at similar time mate. Only difference being that my journey was about 190 miles šŸ˜Ž
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 23:35 - Oct 7 with 4380 viewstomo

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 21:53 - Oct 7 by Pendejo

Where from?

Set off from Brighton at 10am which usually means I have time to see the folks in Hadleigh for an hour and still get to the ground for 2:30. Hit traffic at around 12:45pm, A12 was closed at Marks Tey and I think the temp lights on diversion had packed up. Was bumper to bumper all through Stanway etc for 3 hours.

I donā€™t think I was the only one as there was some rapid moving cars in the fast lane when I finally got back on the A12.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 00:24 - Oct 8 with 4257 viewsBluemer

it's posts like this that make me forget how lucky I am to live close to town. Hats off to all you exiles.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 05:46 - Oct 8 with 4095 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

Sunday morning and I'm still fuming.

Left Worthing at 10am and didn't arrive at the P&R until 4pm (didn't know where else I could park at that time).

P&R buses didn't align, so ended up listening to the whole match on Radio Suffolk.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 5:47]
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:39 - Oct 8 with 3707 viewsAlanG296

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 05:46 - Oct 8 by LA_Tractor_Boy

Sunday morning and I'm still fuming.

Left Worthing at 10am and didn't arrive at the P&R until 4pm (didn't know where else I could park at that time).

P&R buses didn't align, so ended up listening to the whole match on Radio Suffolk.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 5:47]

The Marks Tey to Stanway project has been going on nearly a year now and wouldn't be surprised if it was still going on this time next year. To be fair to them they do have a page on the national highways website where you can see what they're planning and when it's going to be really bad on the A12. I normally drive from Chelmsford but didn't even try, got the train which fortunately was actually running the normal service.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:54 - Oct 8 with 3673 viewsHerbivore

Find it odd that people choose to drive to football rather than get the train. Few beers before the game, not damaging the environment so much, it's a win/win.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

It's 2023 Herbers on 10:58 - Oct 8 with 3657 viewsDyland

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:54 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Find it odd that people choose to drive to football rather than get the train. Few beers before the game, not damaging the environment so much, it's a win/win.

Some don't have a train station anywhere near them, and if you can be arsed to get a bus or cab to one then good luck at the moment actually getting a train :)

Us lot take it in turns to drive these days. But we're not coming from south of Ipswich on the A12, and tbh I'm not sure I'd bother most games if I was still coming from London and there were rail replacements. Sh1te.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:25 - Oct 8 with 3587 viewsAlanG296

If I wanted "to have a few beers" then I wouldn't drive but I just go to see the game so don't end up disturbing others watching with trips to the toilet during it. Also depends on how much disposable income you have whether you can afford more than the match ticket and the travel and if you have a car, for me it's always cheaper and more convenient.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:27 - Oct 8 with 3583 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:25 - Oct 8 by AlanG296

If I wanted "to have a few beers" then I wouldn't drive but I just go to see the game so don't end up disturbing others watching with trips to the toilet during it. Also depends on how much disposable income you have whether you can afford more than the match ticket and the travel and if you have a car, for me it's always cheaper and more convenient.

Return train from Norwich was a tenner yesterday and Tuesday for me, cheaper than cost of fuel and parking. Think the 'more convenient' bit is what's really key, people are addicted to car travel.

It's 2023 Herbers on 11:29 - Oct 8 with 3569 viewsHerbivore

It's 2023 Herbers on 10:58 - Oct 8 by Dyland

Some don't have a train station anywhere near them, and if you can be arsed to get a bus or cab to one then good luck at the moment actually getting a train :)

Us lot take it in turns to drive these days. But we're not coming from south of Ipswich on the A12, and tbh I'm not sure I'd bother most games if I was still coming from London and there were rail replacements. Sh1te.

There's people on here saying they drive from London and Chelmsford, both of which have direct trains to Ipswich. If you're in the sticks and nowhere near a station then fair enough.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:43 - Oct 8 with 3517 viewsAlanG296

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:27 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Return train from Norwich was a tenner yesterday and Tuesday for me, cheaper than cost of fuel and parking. Think the 'more convenient' bit is what's really key, people are addicted to car travel.

The environmental impact is a simplistic argument, we all have very different environmental impacts of which car use can be one element, foreign travel, how much you buy that is produced in polluting far east factories using materials mined by african children and shipped on polluting mega container ships, how much you put in the sewers, how much energy you use in your home. And train for me costs twice what you pay for the same distance. Makes a big difference.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:54 - Oct 8 with 3482 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:43 - Oct 8 by AlanG296

The environmental impact is a simplistic argument, we all have very different environmental impacts of which car use can be one element, foreign travel, how much you buy that is produced in polluting far east factories using materials mined by african children and shipped on polluting mega container ships, how much you put in the sewers, how much energy you use in your home. And train for me costs twice what you pay for the same distance. Makes a big difference.

It's not a simplistic argument. We need to cut down on car use if we're going to cut emissions, both those produced directly by cars burning fuel and those from the production process as well. Taking trips by public transport that are easy to take by public transport is one of the quick wins we can make as a society but lots of people go straight to the car by default.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:11 - Oct 8 with 3358 viewsAlanG296

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:54 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

It's not a simplistic argument. We need to cut down on car use if we're going to cut emissions, both those produced directly by cars burning fuel and those from the production process as well. Taking trips by public transport that are easy to take by public transport is one of the quick wins we can make as a society but lots of people go straight to the car by default.

Focusing on the car and car emissions is a simplistic Khanesq argument. It ignores all the other emissions, for example. just because the emissions are produced in China doesn't mean they don't affect climate. It is global you know. As for using trains why does the same train operator charge double the price for a 40 mile journey to Ipswich than from the south than one from the north. If they really wanted people to choose the train over the car that would not be the case. And considering the use of precious water resources, the impact of the brewing process and transportation, glass making to serve it in, glass washing, energy use in the pub or wherever, energy use in the sewage processing, etc. for an unnecessary consumer item that goes in one end and comes out the other in a few hours perhaps you could reconsider whether you can do without the few pints before the game. It's not just cars that have an environmental impact.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:17 - Oct 8 with 3330 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:11 - Oct 8 by AlanG296

Focusing on the car and car emissions is a simplistic Khanesq argument. It ignores all the other emissions, for example. just because the emissions are produced in China doesn't mean they don't affect climate. It is global you know. As for using trains why does the same train operator charge double the price for a 40 mile journey to Ipswich than from the south than one from the north. If they really wanted people to choose the train over the car that would not be the case. And considering the use of precious water resources, the impact of the brewing process and transportation, glass making to serve it in, glass washing, energy use in the pub or wherever, energy use in the sewage processing, etc. for an unnecessary consumer item that goes in one end and comes out the other in a few hours perhaps you could reconsider whether you can do without the few pints before the game. It's not just cars that have an environmental impact.

Cars are one of the biggest sources of emissions in the UK, as far as I'm aware locally brewed craft beer isn't but if you can find me stats to the contrary then I'll be interested to see them. Otherwise it's a nonsense argument you're making. People get so defensive when challenged on choosing to use their car for journeys they could easily make by public transport, I wish they'd reflect on why they feel the need to get so defensive. Think it's the same mechanism that causes people to get defensive when it's suggested they need to eat less meat and dairy.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:40 - Oct 8 with 3295 viewsGlasgowBlue

Imtook the train to the Sunderland game and did exactly what you described. Great day.

Tried the same for Huddersfield. Bus replacement from Carlisle meant we would have missed the kick off. Return journey would have seen me arrive at home lunchtime the next day. Ridiculous.

Currently on holiday in Bol in the Island of Brač. Flew from Manchester but had trains booked from Glasgow to Manchester at 8.30 am. Got up yesterday to find the train had been cancelled.

I wonā€™t be looking at travelling any long distances by train again in the near future.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:49 - Oct 8 with 3268 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:54 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

For me itā€™s 80 quid for two people on the train plus a bus part of the way. Itā€™s probably 20/30 quid to drive (15 each). If the cost was even remotely comparable then Iā€™d consider the train. But the prices are comical and thereā€™s constant engineering works.

Give us a reliable, sensibly priced trains and weā€™ll gladly leave our cars at home.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:52 - Oct 8 with 3259 viewsUnhinged_dynamo

I would love to use public transport to get to PR but to get from Frome in Somerset is a 5 hour (nearly) Ā£267 train journey with about 5 changes for me and the wife where i would have to leave at 7am and not back till midnight. Itā€™s different for everyone but I couldnā€™t justify not using the car at Ā£50 fuel max + parking and snacky snack money

Poll: Who do you think will win the league?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:02 - Oct 8 with 3236 viewstomo

Easier said than done when your folks live in a rural village an hours walk to the nearest bus stop. I tend to use the train for away games or when not calling in at the parents.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 18:54]
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:08 - Oct 8 with 3217 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:49 - Oct 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

For me itā€™s 80 quid for two people on the train plus a bus part of the way. Itā€™s probably 20/30 quid to drive (15 each). If the cost was even remotely comparable then Iā€™d consider the train. But the prices are comical and thereā€™s constant engineering works.

Give us a reliable, sensibly priced trains and weā€™ll gladly leave our cars at home.

That many people continue voting for parties who have no interest in improving public transport and reducing car usage suggests that many people would prefer to just carry on using their cars. That you'd "consider the train" says it all, most people see public transport as an alternative they'd rather not use and view the car as their default mode of transport.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:10 - Oct 8 with 3216 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:40 - Oct 8 by GlasgowBlue

Imtook the train to the Sunderland game and did exactly what you described. Great day.

Tried the same for Huddersfield. Bus replacement from Carlisle meant we would have missed the kick off. Return journey would have seen me arrive at home lunchtime the next day. Ridiculous.

Currently on holiday in Bol in the Island of Brač. Flew from Manchester but had trains booked from Glasgow to Manchester at 8.30 am. Got up yesterday to find the train had been cancelled.

I wonā€™t be looking at travelling any long distances by train again in the near future.

The result of piss poor infrastructure in this country after 13 years of Tory mismanagement.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:48 - Oct 8 with 3076 viewsAlanG296

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:17 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Cars are one of the biggest sources of emissions in the UK, as far as I'm aware locally brewed craft beer isn't but if you can find me stats to the contrary then I'll be interested to see them. Otherwise it's a nonsense argument you're making. People get so defensive when challenged on choosing to use their car for journeys they could easily make by public transport, I wish they'd reflect on why they feel the need to get so defensive. Think it's the same mechanism that causes people to get defensive when it's suggested they need to eat less meat and dairy.

We all have varying contributions to emissions, I'm more than satisfied that mine are very much below average in this country. Amongst other things it depends on how much we travel, how far and where to, what modes we use, what we eat and drink(a few pints of beer is unnecessary consumer consumption not needed to maintain the body and has an environmental impact wherever it is made) , what consumer goods we buy and how often, what clothes we buy and how often, do we know only buy things we really need, (who really needs the latest iPhone, tv, Football shirt anyway) how we live, how we work, how we spend our Leisure time and to focus on the effects of the car alone is extremely simplistic. It all matters, but it's easy to blame the car. Get down to Felixstowe sometime and see the number of containers on the heavily polluting ships, or go to the A14 to see the lorries with containers many filled with consumer trivia that people can usually do without. My "sin" is that I occasionally use an old car where a train is a more expensive and less convenient option.
And there was still an environmental impact from building your train and getting it to six digit hand land but that was in Switzerland so I suppose that doesn't matter.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:52 - Oct 8 with 3064 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:48 - Oct 8 by AlanG296

We all have varying contributions to emissions, I'm more than satisfied that mine are very much below average in this country. Amongst other things it depends on how much we travel, how far and where to, what modes we use, what we eat and drink(a few pints of beer is unnecessary consumer consumption not needed to maintain the body and has an environmental impact wherever it is made) , what consumer goods we buy and how often, what clothes we buy and how often, do we know only buy things we really need, (who really needs the latest iPhone, tv, Football shirt anyway) how we live, how we work, how we spend our Leisure time and to focus on the effects of the car alone is extremely simplistic. It all matters, but it's easy to blame the car. Get down to Felixstowe sometime and see the number of containers on the heavily polluting ships, or go to the A14 to see the lorries with containers many filled with consumer trivia that people can usually do without. My "sin" is that I occasionally use an old car where a train is a more expensive and less convenient option.
And there was still an environmental impact from building your train and getting it to six digit hand land but that was in Switzerland so I suppose that doesn't matter.

So I'm guessing you couldn't find any evidence that locally brewed craft beer causes comparable emissions to using a car? I'm not surprised. The rest is just noise to be honest but if that helps you to justify your decision then good for you, I didn't ask you to justify it I just expressed my surprise and explained why I am not a fan of people using cars when they have public transport options available.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:56 - Oct 8 with 3045 viewsMullet

Northern rail to anywhere is a massive gamble over the past few years. I took the train to Sheffield, (probably a shorter journey than your between two big cities) booked it well in advance it cost loads.

Plus my emissions go up massively after a few beers these days.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024