Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football 20:33 - Oct 7 with 6771 viewstomo

Took hours to get through Marks Tey today. Dumped the motor at Sainsburys and pegged it to the ground. Banged on the door and persuaded the stadium Manager to let the sweaty mess I was in on 50 minutes. Just home. Worth every second!
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:58 - Oct 8 with 1684 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:56 - Oct 8 by Mullet

Northern rail to anywhere is a massive gamble over the past few years. I took the train to Sheffield, (probably a shorter journey than your between two big cities) booked it well in advance it cost loads.

Plus my emissions go up massively after a few beers these days.

Under investment in infrastructure in the UK is a shocker, especially in the North of England. And yet lots of the North decided to vote Tory in 2019. No wonder the country is falling to bits.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 17:21 - Oct 8 with 1642 viewsbenrhyddingblue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 13:40 - Oct 8 by GlasgowBlue

Imtook the train to the Sunderland game and did exactly what you described. Great day.

Tried the same for Huddersfield. Bus replacement from Carlisle meant we would have missed the kick off. Return journey would have seen me arrive at home lunchtime the next day. Ridiculous.

Currently on holiday in Bol in the Island of Brač. Flew from Manchester but had trains booked from Glasgow to Manchester at 8.30 am. Got up yesterday to find the train had been cancelled.

I won’t be looking at travelling any long distances by train again in the near future.

I did the train once from Ilkley to Ipswich and decided when i got home at 11pm ‘never again’. Factor in now the ticket cost of taking my two sons too and so unless I suddenly won the lottery (which is unlikely mainly because I don’t do it) I could probably afford to go to four or five home games a season. I don’t need a beer to enjoy the football at the moment, but do indulge when we get home (by car) about 9pm on a Saturday after a game. I did plan to go to Huddersfield on the train but train strike scuppered that - and it would have cost me more than petrol plus parking. When I lived in London I always got the train to games - home and away - but that’s a benefit of living in London and trains going to all corners of the country. Until there is a public transport system that could really incentivise people not to drive, they will drive, and sadly as far as trains are concerned that is never going to happen with the weird ‘private’ rail services we have.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 18:24 - Oct 8 with 1598 viewsbackwaywhen

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 05:46 - Oct 8 by LA_Tractor_Boy

Sunday morning and I'm still fuming.

Left Worthing at 10am and didn't arrive at the P&R until 4pm (didn't know where else I could park at that time).

P&R buses didn't align, so ended up listening to the whole match on Radio Suffolk.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 5:47]

Jesus that’s bl@@dy disappointing , just as well we won , you will be well rewarded come the end of the season …….In McKenna we trust .
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 18:24 - Oct 8 with 1600 viewsSkip_Intro

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:52 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

So I'm guessing you couldn't find any evidence that locally brewed craft beer causes comparable emissions to using a car? I'm not surprised. The rest is just noise to be honest but if that helps you to justify your decision then good for you, I didn't ask you to justify it I just expressed my surprise and explained why I am not a fan of people using cars when they have public transport options available.

I think that the challenge is that viable public transport options simply don't exist for many - I live in the sticks and would much rather use public transport but it's simply not an option. And then when you factor in the exorbitant cost of the train (not even mentioning their reliability with strikes, engineering works etc.) it's just not viable for a lot of people...I think many like me would happily use public transport - but it's simply not a genuine option for many of us sadly...
It's 2023 Herbers on 18:32 - Oct 8 with 1595 viewsCheltenham_Blue

It's 2023 Herbers on 11:29 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

There's people on here saying they drive from London and Chelmsford, both of which have direct trains to Ipswich. If you're in the sticks and nowhere near a station then fair enough.

£80 with split ticketing from here. 5 changes each way, five and a half hours each way.
I'm driving.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 18:33 - Oct 8 with 1591 viewsTresBonne

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:54 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Find it odd that people choose to drive to football rather than get the train. Few beers before the game, not damaging the environment so much, it's a win/win.

Mate, who cares how other people get to the game? How is it 'odd'
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 18:36 - Oct 8 with 1593 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 18:33 - Oct 8 by TresBonne

Mate, who cares how other people get to the game? How is it 'odd'

It's odd to me when people have viable public transport options that they choose to drive instead, probably because whenever I plan a journey my first thought is to avoid driving wherever possible. In case you hadn't noticed, there's something of a climate emergency taking place and we all need to reduce our reliance on cars as a major source of personal emissions. I appreciate people have their reasons and for some public transport isn't an option but I guess we all have different priorities.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 18:43]

It's 2023 Herbers on 18:55 - Oct 8 with 1570 viewsFoD_Blue

It's 2023 Herbers on 18:32 - Oct 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

£80 with split ticketing from here. 5 changes each way, five and a half hours each way.
I'm driving.

That's about the same as it woulod cost me to get the train from my Gloucestershire home to the match. It costs me around £50 to do the same journey in the car. I am also about 10 miles from my local rail station.

Yesterday there were four of us in the car, so the journey via train would have cost in the region of £320. Ths car is still around £50 in fuel regardless of the number of passengers.

If you want to encourage people to use publc transport, then make it affordable. As long as it is chepaer (by far) to drive than take the train, then I'm sticking to using the car.
Login to get fewer ads

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 19:13 - Oct 8 with 1549 viewsyorkshireblue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 17:21 - Oct 8 by benrhyddingblue

I did the train once from Ilkley to Ipswich and decided when i got home at 11pm ‘never again’. Factor in now the ticket cost of taking my two sons too and so unless I suddenly won the lottery (which is unlikely mainly because I don’t do it) I could probably afford to go to four or five home games a season. I don’t need a beer to enjoy the football at the moment, but do indulge when we get home (by car) about 9pm on a Saturday after a game. I did plan to go to Huddersfield on the train but train strike scuppered that - and it would have cost me more than petrol plus parking. When I lived in London I always got the train to games - home and away - but that’s a benefit of living in London and trains going to all corners of the country. Until there is a public transport system that could really incentivise people not to drive, they will drive, and sadly as far as trains are concerned that is never going to happen with the weird ‘private’ rail services we have.

Lovely part of the world mind.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 19:43 - Oct 8 with 1526 viewsbenrhyddingblue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 19:13 - Oct 8 by yorkshireblue

Lovely part of the world mind.

Sorry, didn’t realise I’d written so much and no paragraph breaks!
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 20:24 - Oct 8 with 1504 viewsCheltenham_Blue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 18:36 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

It's odd to me when people have viable public transport options that they choose to drive instead, probably because whenever I plan a journey my first thought is to avoid driving wherever possible. In case you hadn't noticed, there's something of a climate emergency taking place and we all need to reduce our reliance on cars as a major source of personal emissions. I appreciate people have their reasons and for some public transport isn't an option but I guess we all have different priorities.

Herbs.

Unless living within 30 miles of Ipswich or along the Liverpool St to Ipswich line, theres really no such thing as 'viable public transport options' in this country anymore.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 20:56 - Oct 8 with 1484 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“whenever I plan a journey my first thought is to avoid driving wherever possible”

I’m pleased for you that you are in such a financial position that the cost of travel is not a concern.

Until there is a major overhaul of rail ownership (which let’s be honest looks pretty unlikely), people are going to pick the option which is usually less than half the cost. I always use park and ride systems if they are available (Cambridge/Oxford/Bristol to name a few), but the one in Ipswich is the worst in the country by a considerable margin in my opinion.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 22:04 - Oct 8 with 1428 viewsbaxterbasics

Oh the joy of condescending self-righteous people lecturing the rest of us for being selfish enough to use our cars. With no understanding of the individuals situation. Often public transport is not fit for purpose. Or just ridiculously expensive.

Please feel free to advocate for improved/cheaper/more efficient options. But maybe think twice before telling the rest of us what to do when perhaps most of us don’t have a genuine choice here.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 22:48 - Oct 8 with 1403 viewsjonbull88

When it comes to the brewing of the beer, is how and where all the ingredients are sourced taken into account? For example I’m a farmer, I grow barley for malting, in 1 hour I can harvest 50t of barley, yet to harvest that 50t I use 100-200L of diesel.

As others have stated other stuff needs to be taken in to account other than the simplistic approach of “not using a car”. Like how are you accessing twtd? Through a smart phone or tablet? Where precious metals are extracted, shipped or flown across the world to be built in china, to be shipped or flown back to the uk

I live 20 mins from the train station, I can be in Ipswich in 30 mins from home. I get fuel as a perk of the job, I park on a road edge, so getting to a game is virtually free. In my day to day life my 5L of fuel to get to and from Ipswich isn’t going to stop global warming. For that we need to forgo a lot more than cars, but that’s for another debate
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 22:50 - Oct 8 with 1401 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 22:04 - Oct 8 by baxterbasics

Oh the joy of condescending self-righteous people lecturing the rest of us for being selfish enough to use our cars. With no understanding of the individuals situation. Often public transport is not fit for purpose. Or just ridiculously expensive.

Please feel free to advocate for improved/cheaper/more efficient options. But maybe think twice before telling the rest of us what to do when perhaps most of us don’t have a genuine choice here.

Given you proudly vote for a party that systematically under funds vital services like public transport you might want to pipe down.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 09:28 - Oct 9 with 1293 viewsTresBonne

Well done to you mate, such an eco warrior and you're saving the planet, congrats.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:23 - Oct 9 with 1258 viewsEly_Blue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:54 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Find it odd that people choose to drive to football rather than get the train. Few beers before the game, not damaging the environment so much, it's a win/win.

Well I live 200 miles away on the south coast near Bournemouth, on the rare occasion in the last 2 seasons where there hasn’t been either a strike or engineering works on a weekend match day then I have taken the train, however it can cost me anywhere between £50-£100 for a return train journey, given I now have an EV that can get me 3/4 of the journey for less than a tenner & the other part for maybe £20 why pay those train prices? Not everyone who goes to the game wants a skinful and to spend half the game up and down to the loo, plus not everyone has just that single journey from Colchester or stowmarket!

Who are you to judge that it is odd that people don’t take the train?

I think the real issue here is lack of planning by those who missed the game or large portions of it by getting caught in traffic when the A12 roadwork closures have been publicised for weeks, had I have gone on Saturday it would have been M11/A14 for me, even with the extra 40 miles it would have been much less stressful

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:28 - Oct 9 with 1242 viewsEly_Blue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 16:52 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

So I'm guessing you couldn't find any evidence that locally brewed craft beer causes comparable emissions to using a car? I'm not surprised. The rest is just noise to be honest but if that helps you to justify your decision then good for you, I didn't ask you to justify it I just expressed my surprise and explained why I am not a fan of people using cars when they have public transport options available.

Does said local craft beer use local hops that are grown on the brewery land, farmed by hand without water? No I didn’t think so!

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 12:33 - Oct 9 with 1193 viewsportmanroadblue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 11:54 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

It's not a simplistic argument. We need to cut down on car use if we're going to cut emissions, both those produced directly by cars burning fuel and those from the production process as well. Taking trips by public transport that are easy to take by public transport is one of the quick wins we can make as a society but lots of people go straight to the car by default.

Cost/line closures/reliability of public transport gets sorted, I am sure more people would use it.
9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:36 - Oct 9 with 1147 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 09:28 - Oct 9 by TresBonne

Well done to you mate, such an eco warrior and you're saving the planet, congrats.

Some of us have to try at least, mate.

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:36 - Oct 9 with 1142 viewsHerbivore

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:23 - Oct 9 by Ely_Blue

Well I live 200 miles away on the south coast near Bournemouth, on the rare occasion in the last 2 seasons where there hasn’t been either a strike or engineering works on a weekend match day then I have taken the train, however it can cost me anywhere between £50-£100 for a return train journey, given I now have an EV that can get me 3/4 of the journey for less than a tenner & the other part for maybe £20 why pay those train prices? Not everyone who goes to the game wants a skinful and to spend half the game up and down to the loo, plus not everyone has just that single journey from Colchester or stowmarket!

Who are you to judge that it is odd that people don’t take the train?

I think the real issue here is lack of planning by those who missed the game or large portions of it by getting caught in traffic when the A12 roadwork closures have been publicised for weeks, had I have gone on Saturday it would have been M11/A14 for me, even with the extra 40 miles it would have been much less stressful

Who are you to judge people who choose to use the A12?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:53 - Oct 9 with 1127 viewsN2_Blue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 10:39 - Oct 8 by AlanG296

The Marks Tey to Stanway project has been going on nearly a year now and wouldn't be surprised if it was still going on this time next year. To be fair to them they do have a page on the national highways website where you can see what they're planning and when it's going to be really bad on the A12. I normally drive from Chelmsford but didn't even try, got the train which fortunately was actually running the normal service.

I used to drive from West of London to nearly all home games. However now that bus replacement for rail has stopped i've been getting the train and services have been excellent for me this season.

Saturday when i heard of all the A12 issues i was so happy i'd got the train.

I can't see much improving with the A12 for a while, it's painful so train for me for the foreseeable

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 17:14 - Oct 9 with 1092 viewsEly_Blue

9 hours in the car car for 40 minutes of football on 14:36 - Oct 9 by Herbivore

Who are you to judge people who choose to use the A12?

I’m not, I merely suggested that as I’m sure you as an avid train riding fan would check the timetable, that people using a road which currently has 3 major sets of roadworks might check to see if there are any extended weekend/evening closures.

Nice deflection away from yourself there d1ck

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024