Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna to Rangers 20:30 - Oct 1 with 7889 viewsSitfcB

Just thought I’d be the first to post it as it’ll be done soon no doubt

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

McKenna to Rangers on 22:33 - Oct 1 with 1823 viewsCoastalblue

McKenna to Rangers on 22:23 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

Give it to big Sam till the end of the season.

Mick surely?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

McKenna to Rangers on 22:34 - Oct 1 with 1820 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna to Rangers on 22:33 - Oct 1 by Coastalblue

Mick surely?

Mick's too great a man to be bothering with the comedy leagues.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

McKenna to Rangers on 22:35 - Oct 1 with 1820 viewsHipsterectomy

he is the correct nationality...

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

McKenna to Rangers on 22:36 - Oct 1 with 1820 viewsPique

McKenna to Rangers on 22:12 - Oct 1 by nodge_blue

“The championship in England can be a good watch but it’s a terrible level of football.”

Did he actually mean the Scottish premier league?

Jesus most championship sides would give Rangers a game let alone the rest of the division.

Yes, bizarre comment. Taking into account the top flights of England, France, Spain, Italy and Germany, it's arguably the sixth best league in Europe.

Whereas if you take a lower level Premier League side, a Championship team, three or four League One sides and a sprinkling of League Two/National League, you've basically got the Scottish Premiership.
McKenna to Rangers on 22:50 - Oct 1 with 1772 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna to Rangers on 21:13 - Oct 1 by Keno

I thought gerrard got the Villa job?

Still a step up from Rangers....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

McKenna to Rangers on 09:09 - Oct 2 with 1652 viewsDJR

Given his heritage, I can't see McKenna wanting to move to Rangers any more than Martin O'Neil would.

And one of the comments on the Rangers website suggests the feeling might be mutual when it comes to their (unenlightened) fans.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 9:22]
McKenna to Rangers on 09:38 - Oct 2 with 1614 viewsPowrigan

McKenna to Rangers on 09:54 - Oct 2 with 1582 viewsNthQldITFC

McKenna to Rangers on 22:12 - Oct 1 by nodge_blue

“The championship in England can be a good watch but it’s a terrible level of football.”

Did he actually mean the Scottish premier league?

Jesus most championship sides would give Rangers a game let alone the rest of the division.

They're all 'well-known members' on that forum, which I think might explain that comment.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna to Rangers on 10:02 - Oct 2 with 1546 viewsleitrimblue

McKenna to Rangers on 09:09 - Oct 2 by DJR

Given his heritage, I can't see McKenna wanting to move to Rangers any more than Martin O'Neil would.

And one of the comments on the Rangers website suggests the feeling might be mutual when it comes to their (unenlightened) fans.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 9:22]

Exactly, there is no way he would join Rangers. His family live close to me, just the other side of the border. I can't imagine for a second that he would want to put them into the middle of that sectarian nonsense.

Also Rangers absolutely suck!
McKenna to Rangers on 10:05 - Oct 2 with 1539 viewspointofblue

May have already been said but I can't see Rangers taking another risk on a manager doing well in the Championship.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

McKenna to Rangers on 10:11 - Oct 2 with 1518 viewsITFCBlues

McKenna to Rangers on 21:52 - Oct 1 by Kieran_Knows

It’s the wider picture though isn’t it?

League and 2 cups each season to win, and potentially add to your trophy cabinet/CV.
European football each season - wider audience to show case your talent.
Whilst the league is poor, the exposure you get (which can also work against you given the size of job) is a lot more than you would get at a Championship club.

Coupled by the fact it’s one of the biggest jobs in world football. I know Celtic and Rangers get a rough ride because of the league they’re in, but they’re 2 of the biggest jobs in football, and I don’t quite get why anyone would think players/managers wouldn’t be tempted by them.

But it's high risk. Rangers clearly a way behind Celtic who have CL money and also some big sales last summer to add to that. They're a way off Celtic in every aspect that's for sure.

If he's not winning or going very close to a title, his position will be questioned. I think he's sensible enough to think he could be managing in the PL next season, either with us, or another PL side. Why would he take a high risk job like that?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

McKenna to Rangers on 10:39 - Oct 2 with 1466 views_clive_baker_

Undeniably a very big club, Champions league, huge fan base etc. The problem they'll always (unless something changes) is they play in the SPL. Stating the obvious innit but I'm not sure it's that attractive, unless KM saw it as a stepping stone to a big PL side which could make some sense.

I think Potter has the perfect CV for it.
McKenna to Rangers on 10:43 - Oct 2 with 1424 viewsrattram

McKenna to Rangers on 22:29 - Oct 1 by Pique

Players/managers will of course be tempted by them, and often have been, for the reasons you outline. But I'd be amazed if McKenna was, for the same reason he won't be tempted by a Palace or a Wolves: he'll have a far bigger prize in his sights when the time comes.

He'd be taking over a very poor team at Ibrox. I think Beale got sacked because he was allowed to pick his signings and they've failed to perform. 7 points behind Celtic after 7 games. An ambitious man would be mad to go there right now. Will they win in Cyprus this week against a pub team?
McKenna to Rangers on 11:40 - Oct 2 with 1379 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

McKenna to Rangers on 21:01 - Oct 1 by LancsBlue

Rodgers, Gerrard and Postecoglou all got top jobs in the Prem as a result of doing well in Scotland. In many ways it's an easy stepping stone.

Yes indeed, but given that McKenna is Irish it’s unlikely that he’d go to Rangers, Celtic absolutely, but Rangers I’d be shocked.

Paul Lambert likes to change sides though so that’s be a top job for him, he can even get sent off against Celtic in an embarrassing PR stunt too.
McKenna to Rangers on 11:46 - Oct 2 with 1372 viewsFranzgumm

I agree that it is the kind of job that might attract him away. But less likely to now than at some time in the future.

Do we know what his religious leanings are though? As a Northern Irish lad (he was raised in County Fermanagh), that may have a bearing... Fermanagh is majority catholic, so he may lean more towards the green side of Glasgow...

RIP Sir Bobby
Blog: [Blog] Where Has It All Gone Wrong?

McKenna to Rangers on 11:58 - Oct 2 with 1339 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna to Rangers on 21:52 - Oct 1 by Kieran_Knows

It’s the wider picture though isn’t it?

League and 2 cups each season to win, and potentially add to your trophy cabinet/CV.
European football each season - wider audience to show case your talent.
Whilst the league is poor, the exposure you get (which can also work against you given the size of job) is a lot more than you would get at a Championship club.

Coupled by the fact it’s one of the biggest jobs in world football. I know Celtic and Rangers get a rough ride because of the league they’re in, but they’re 2 of the biggest jobs in football, and I don’t quite get why anyone would think players/managers wouldn’t be tempted by them.

I think he will back himself to get us promoted from this position. In which case he will be showcasing himself on the biggest domestic stage of all in 8 months.
McKenna to Rangers on 12:50 - Oct 2 with 1283 viewsGrandpa

It's my understanding that the new US owners are bending over backwards to provide every aspect of what an ambitious manager wants to fulfill both his & this club's ambitions.
I don't think KMcK will go anywhere, not even if Man U or Tottenham try their luck.

He wants to manage in the Premier League.

I'm going to stick my neck out & say he'll be doing that with us next season.

He also wants to manage in the Champions League.

Guess what, I'm going to stick my neck out again & say I think he'll have us finish high enough in our first season back in the Premier League to qualify for that, too.

There is very definitely something special happening at our club.

I absolutely don't see him getting what he has here, anywhere else.
So Premier League or Celtic/Rangers managers can keep getting sacked
I don't think we have to worry !
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 13:27]
roflcopter (n/t) on 12:51 - Oct 2 with 1275 viewsBloots

McKenna to Rangers on 12:50 - Oct 2 by Grandpa

It's my understanding that the new US owners are bending over backwards to provide every aspect of what an ambitious manager wants to fulfill both his & this club's ambitions.
I don't think KMcK will go anywhere, not even if Man U or Tottenham try their luck.

Guess what, I'm going to stick my neck out again & say I think he'll have us finish high enough in our first season back in the Premier League to qualify for that, too.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

McKenna to Rangers on 12:54 - Oct 2 with 1266 viewsBiGDonnie

Love that, gramps!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

McKenna to Rangers on 12:56 - Oct 2 with 1253 views_clive_baker_

How will we get on in the Champions League? I would love you to stick your next out and tell me Lee Evans keeps Bellingham quiet at the Bernabeu.
Bellingham will be.... on 12:58 - Oct 2 with 1244 viewsBloots

McKenna to Rangers on 12:56 - Oct 2 by _clive_baker_

How will we get on in the Champions League? I would love you to stick your next out and tell me Lee Evans keeps Bellingham quiet at the Bernabeu.

...playing for us by by then.

Obviously.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

McKenna to Rangers on 12:58 - Oct 2 with 1246 viewsGrandpa

McKenna to Rangers on 12:56 - Oct 2 by _clive_baker_

Not now, but after another 2 seasons of improvements, we may well have uncovered the next "Jude Bellingham"!!!
McKenna to Rangers on 13:05 - Oct 2 with 1236 viewsRyorry

McKenna to Rangers on 12:58 - Oct 2 by Grandpa

Not now, but after another 2 seasons of improvements, we may well have uncovered the next "Jude Bellingham"!!!

And/or “by next season we may well have signed Hutchinson”.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 13:07]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

McKenna to Rangers on 13:47 - Oct 2 with 1176 viewsKitman

McKenna to Rangers on 22:35 - Oct 1 by Hipsterectomy

he is the correct nationality...

Is he? Always had him down as Irish (N)

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

McKenna to Rangers on 14:23 - Oct 2 with 1142 viewsmonty_radio

McKenna to Rangers on 21:01 - Oct 1 by LancsBlue

Rodgers, Gerrard and Postecoglou all got top jobs in the Prem as a result of doing well in Scotland. In many ways it's an easy stepping stone.

On the other hand, currently, Celtic are so far ahead of Rangers that it would not be the quick success that their fans demand nor that the English Premiership take notice of. Finishing a close second could not be billboarded nor command due notice and attention.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2023 11:11]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024