Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Banter Police… 19:43 - Sep 16 with 7822 viewsyorkshireblue

I’m all up for a bit of ‘banter’ with the opposition fans. But today some of our fans went too far.

I can’t believe I’m here on an Ipswich forum saying this… but some of our fans were chanting pro-Sheffield United songs.

Did Tarrico mean nothing to you people?
Banter Police… on 19:47 - Sep 16 with 5270 viewsEastTownBlue

Agree about the Tarrico years but that was 1995-98. You would have to be at least 30 to understand that one. That certainly ages me.
Banter Police… on 19:58 - Sep 16 with 5122 viewsthatbdude

Singing rival chants to the opposition team is so tinpot. You wouldn't sing a rangers chant towards celtic and vice versa so why do it towards wednesday.

Poll: Who going down?

Banter Police… on 20:16 - Sep 16 with 4945 viewstextbackup

What on earth would you sing pro SUFC songs for?! And what songs would even make sense?!
Our away support when not London away games is so weird

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Banter Police… on 20:24 - Sep 16 with 4871 viewsHerbivore

Banter Police… on 20:16 - Sep 16 by textbackup

What on earth would you sing pro SUFC songs for?! And what songs would even make sense?!

Our away support at London games is even weirder.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Banter Police… on 20:26 - Sep 16 with 4863 viewsSaleAway

Banter Police… on 20:16 - Sep 16 by textbackup

There was a spell in the middle of the 1st half, the game had got really scrappy, the ref was losing control, and any time anyone challenged a Wednesday player, they went down and stayed down for ages. There was massive frustration in the away end. There was only really " There's only one team in sheffield" which isn't exactly pro SUFC.... I think just a general bit of "anit-wednesday" vibe going on. Which given the state of the game, isn't entirely surprising.

I thought the away fans were great today. Sounded good in there, anyway.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Was about to say the same on 20:27 - Sep 16 with 4847 viewsDyland

Banter Police… on 20:24 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Though tragic, annoying or embarrassing, rather than weird. And again for the record, it is a minority, but I always seem to be near them.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Banter Police… on 20:27 - Sep 16 with 4837 viewstextbackup

Banter Police… on 20:24 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

I mean, loads of Ipswich blokes, school mates, work mates, having a beer and a laugh. If you find that weird it’s on you.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Banter Police… on 20:29 - Sep 16 with 4818 viewsArnieM

I’m assuming these Town fans singing these songs at the home fans ( clearly aimed at winding up the home fans) it’s little wonder they get a kicking after the gave really is it! All these Town kids did was make all Town fans a bloody target after the match . Well done, you idiots!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Banter Police… on 20:33 - Sep 16 with 4761 viewsMullet

One team in Sheffield was quite funny given when it started, but not twice or more. The whole away end was a bit odd, loads of people I've never seen before. Felt like a lot of season ticket holders who don't usually go away maybe? Quite a few kids etc too.

Was generally great support though don't think that can be denied.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Oh come off it (n/t) on 20:34 - Sep 16 with 4741 viewsDyland

Banter Police… on 20:29 - Sep 16 by ArnieM

I’m assuming these Town fans singing these songs at the home fans ( clearly aimed at winding up the home fans) it’s little wonder they get a kicking after the gave really is it! All these Town kids did was make all Town fans a bloody target after the match . Well done, you idiots!

Banter Police… on 20:37 - Sep 16 with 4666 viewsMullet

There was nothing beyond mild being sung, you're talking absolute sh1te here.

Banter Police… on 20:38 - Sep 16 with 4650 viewsHerbivore

Banter Police… on 20:27 - Sep 16 by textbackup

I mean, loads of Ipswich blokes, school mates, work mates, having a beer and a laugh. If you find that weird it’s on you.

That's a rather one-sided view.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Banter Police… on 20:39 - Sep 16 with 4616 viewsRyorry

That's an incredibly poor comment.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Banter Police… on 20:39 - Sep 16 with 4618 viewsDyland

Banter Police… on 20:37 - Sep 16 by Mullet

Aye, singing "One team in Sheffield" is hardly giving it large is it. It's pretty tragic though, but whatever, I wasn't there and the way you describe it gives some good context Mullers.

Banter Police… on 20:43 - Sep 16 with 4546 viewsMullet

Banter Police… on 20:39 - Sep 16 by Dyland

Aye, singing "One team in Sheffield" is hardly giving it large is it. It's pretty tragic though, but whatever, I wasn't there and the way you describe it gives some good context Mullers.

Really weird hearing anyone not there trying to slate what was a decent showing all things considered, cost, been there loads recently including last season etc.

Wasn't exactly Galatasaray or anything, but apart from that sh1te Delia chant being a bit half-hearted it was better than most clubs will manage.

Banter Police… on 20:44 - Sep 16 with 4540 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Did you really say that? Shame on you. No-one deserves a kicking for attending a football game
Banter Police… on 20:52 - Sep 16 with 4416 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Despite our 90s history I actually quite like the Blades, always felt like the real Sheffield club to me instead of these Derbyshire /Chesterfield types that follow Wednesday. Although the Crooks side of the city is Wednesday country and quite nice.

Anyway signing opposition songs is the most daft tinpot thing ever. There really are some thick people about. Morons singing bubbles at Millwall about 10 years ago I’ll never forget. Wouldn’t have got away with that in our end once upon a time.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 20:54]
Banter Police… on 20:56 - Sep 16 with 4362 viewseddiespearitt03

It's a typical thing and a trade-mark of a small minority of childish young wanna-be thugs who leave the ground under cover after an away game . Vocal hooligans who would soon be on their toes outside the ground without police protection. Seen some of these kids on the ITFC club coaches making gestures at the bus window . Sign language to opposition supporters. And i bet there are many supporters who have used the club coaches will echo what I have said.
Banter Police… on 20:58 - Sep 16 with 4321 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

This place is just full of contrarians though.

No particular views on the Sheff Utd songs, but it follows a tedious pattern of people complaining people don’t sing or there’s no atmosphere (or hostility at at FPR). Then the permanently disgruntled on here complain about all the songs.

I mean ffs it’s not even offensive, just a bit of fun. If all you like is ‘come on you Blues’ maybe you’d prefer NFL/another cheesey American sport.
Banter Police… on 21:08 - Sep 16 with 4167 viewsBiGDonnie

Banter Police… on 20:37 - Sep 16 by Mullet

Arnie posts non stop sh&te.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Banter Police… on 21:12 - Sep 16 with 4111 viewseddiespearitt03

One team in Sheffield song is not even funny. Banter is ok if it is funny....
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 21:16]
Banter Police… on 21:13 - Sep 16 with 4078 viewsBiGDonnie

Banter Police… on 21:12 - Sep 16 by eddiespearitt03

One team in Sheffield song is not even funny. Banter is ok if it is funny....
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 21:16]

You've echoed what you've said

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Banter Police… on 21:23 - Sep 16 with 3954 viewsRKD

Banter Police… on 20:52 - Sep 16 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Despite our 90s history I actually quite like the Blades, always felt like the real Sheffield club to me instead of these Derbyshire /Chesterfield types that follow Wednesday. Although the Crooks side of the city is Wednesday country and quite nice.

Anyway signing opposition songs is the most daft tinpot thing ever. There really are some thick people about. Morons singing bubbles at Millwall about 10 years ago I’ll never forget. Wouldn’t have got away with that in our end once upon a time.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 20:54]

As a fellow ITFC fan who has lived in Sheffield, I tend to warn to Blades more than Wednesday. Any Blades fan I encounter always share a mutual respect regarding the lates 90s early 00s rivalry.

There were a few chants 90minutes+ from away end today saying “one team in Sheffield” etc, but no more than that IMO. Nothing as embarrassing as the “forever blowing bubbles” at Millwall.

If you want a real crossover chant, ask JT to forward on the Ipswich remix of Fill Up Your Senses I sent him earlier.

Hope you’re well x

Poll: Edwards goal - shot or cross?

Banter Police… on 21:28 - Sep 16 with 3897 viewsTheBoyBlue

Banter Police… on 20:58 - Sep 16 by SuperKieranMcKenna

This place is just full of contrarians though.

No particular views on the Sheff Utd songs, but it follows a tedious pattern of people complaining people don’t sing or there’s no atmosphere (or hostility at at FPR). Then the permanently disgruntled on here complain about all the songs.

I mean ffs it’s not even offensive, just a bit of fun. If all you like is ‘come on you Blues’ maybe you’d prefer NFL/another cheesey American sport.

Spot on.

Most chants are made almost unthinking, a spontaneous thing. Short of them criticising our own team or being racist, homophobic, etc, I don't see anything wrong with any chant.Perhaps if we did a tick-box exercise to check their appropriateness first then we might avoid our fellow fans getting embarrassed, but I think the atmosphere might suffer a bit...

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Banter Police… on 21:34 - Sep 16 with 3826 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Banter Police… on 21:28 - Sep 16 by TheBoyBlue

Spot on.

Most chants are made almost unthinking, a spontaneous thing. Short of them criticising our own team or being racist, homophobic, etc, I don't see anything wrong with any chant.Perhaps if we did a tick-box exercise to check their appropriateness first then we might avoid our fellow fans getting embarrassed, but I think the atmosphere might suffer a bit...

Maybe just sing songs backing your own team. Also bring back some decent retro ones like other clubs do. Whatever happened to the likes of Ipswich to amazing grace etc. So much better than that happy clappy soccer AM crap. Football in a library is awful but seems to be a favorite.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024