Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Banter Police… 19:43 - Sep 16 with 7896 viewsyorkshireblue

I’m all up for a bit of ‘banter’ with the opposition fans. But today some of our fans went too far.

I can’t believe I’m here on an Ipswich forum saying this… but some of our fans were chanting pro-Sheffield United songs.

Did Tarrico mean nothing to you people?
Banter Police… on 21:36 - Sep 16 with 1797 viewsyorkshireblue

Being completely honest, I meant this thread very light heartedly harking back to the days of Sheffield United being ‘Norwich of the North’ and have appeared to missed the mark….
Banter Police… on 21:37 - Sep 16 with 1782 viewschicoazul

STOP THIS THREAD
Did you just say pro Sheff Utd songs????

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Banter Police… on 21:48 - Sep 16 with 1753 viewsSteve_M

Banter Police… on 21:36 - Sep 16 by yorkshireblue

Being completely honest, I meant this thread very light heartedly harking back to the days of Sheffield United being ‘Norwich of the North’ and have appeared to missed the mark….

It was really weird when they beat us in 2018 to almost confirm promotion. Maybe because they clearly deserved it, maybe because the buzz around the City was nearly as tangible as that the day we beat Exeter, but I couldn’t feel any resentment for them. Just a sense of wondering how long it would be before we got to have those kind of moments again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Banter Police… on 22:55 - Sep 16 with 1648 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

This whole thread has blown my mind.
Banter Police… on 23:02 - Sep 16 with 1630 viewsFrankMarshall

Banter Police… on 21:23 - Sep 16 by RKD

As a fellow ITFC fan who has lived in Sheffield, I tend to warn to Blades more than Wednesday. Any Blades fan I encounter always share a mutual respect regarding the lates 90s early 00s rivalry.

There were a few chants 90minutes+ from away end today saying “one team in Sheffield” etc, but no more than that IMO. Nothing as embarrassing as the “forever blowing bubbles” at Millwall.

If you want a real crossover chant, ask JT to forward on the Ipswich remix of Fill Up Your Senses I sent him earlier.

Hope you’re well x

Only team I warm to in Sheffield is the worlds oldest club, Sheffield FC. Marketing wise they are brilliant- have great humour even if they are in like the 10th tier of English football.

Frank Marshall

Banter Police… on 23:04 - Sep 16 with 1620 viewsFrankMarshall

Banter Police… on 21:37 - Sep 16 by chicoazul

STOP THIS THREAD
Did you just say pro Sheff Utd songs????

Could be pro Sheffield Utd songs or pro Sheffield FC songs. I take it as the latter.

Frank Marshall

Banter Police… on 23:12 - Sep 16 with 1597 viewsyorkshireblue

Banter Police… on 23:02 - Sep 16 by FrankMarshall

Only team I warm to in Sheffield is the worlds oldest club, Sheffield FC. Marketing wise they are brilliant- have great humour even if they are in like the 10th tier of English football.

Without wanting to cause more controversy than my clearly poor attempt at humour has already caused in this thread… Sheffield FC no longer play in Sheffield, but in Dronfield, Derbyshire.

Hallam FC, the second oldest club in the world, still play in Sheffield though.
Banter Police… on 23:45 - Sep 16 with 1551 viewsFrankMarshall

Banter Police… on 23:12 - Sep 16 by yorkshireblue

Without wanting to cause more controversy than my clearly poor attempt at humour has already caused in this thread… Sheffield FC no longer play in Sheffield, but in Dronfield, Derbyshire.

Hallam FC, the second oldest club in the world, still play in Sheffield though.

They do play on Sheffield Road in Dronfield though. Lots of talk about them potentially relocating back in the future:

https://liberoguide.com/sheffield-fc/

Frank Marshall

Login to get fewer ads

Banter Police… on 23:53 - Sep 16 with 1527 viewsTractor_Boy_Tommy

Our fans are a strange bunch
Banter Police… on 23:55 - Sep 16 with 1518 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Banter Police… on 20:29 - Sep 16 by ArnieM

I’m assuming these Town fans singing these songs at the home fans ( clearly aimed at winding up the home fans) it’s little wonder they get a kicking after the gave really is it! All these Town kids did was make all Town fans a bloody target after the match . Well done, you idiots!

Horrendous post, even for you.
Banter Police… on 00:18 - Sep 17 with 1490 viewspbishop1799

The fact this conversation is even happening is indicative of how well we're doing. Gotta find some trivial minutiae to moan about.

COYB.
Banter Police… on 00:42 - Sep 17 with 1477 viewsMeadowlark

Banter Police… on 20:16 - Sep 16 by textbackup

What on earth would you sing pro SUFC songs for?! And what songs would even make sense?!
Our away support when not London away games is so weird

Hahahahaha!
Banter Police… on 07:05 - Sep 17 with 1382 viewsEly_Blue

Banter Police… on 20:29 - Sep 16 by ArnieM

I’m assuming these Town fans singing these songs at the home fans ( clearly aimed at winding up the home fans) it’s little wonder they get a kicking after the gave really is it! All these Town kids did was make all Town fans a bloody target after the match . Well done, you idiots!

I bet you’re one of those people who when a woman gets raped says “bet she was looking for it” or “what did she expect going out dressed like that”

Nothing like a bit of victim shaming is there!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Banter Police… on 07:17 - Sep 17 with 1363 viewspelles321

Banter Police… on 20:26 - Sep 16 by SaleAway

There was a spell in the middle of the 1st half, the game had got really scrappy, the ref was losing control, and any time anyone challenged a Wednesday player, they went down and stayed down for ages. There was massive frustration in the away end. There was only really " There's only one team in sheffield" which isn't exactly pro SUFC.... I think just a general bit of "anit-wednesday" vibe going on. Which given the state of the game, isn't entirely surprising.

I thought the away fans were great today. Sounded good in there, anyway.

The few times this was sung, there was also some who followed it up with chants of ‘United’. Although I’d say it was only a handful.

I think most of the Wednesday abuse came from their own fans! Understand their frustrations but made our job much easier.
Banter Police… on 08:33 - Sep 17 with 1256 viewspatrickswell

Banter Police… on 20:26 - Sep 16 by SaleAway

There was a spell in the middle of the 1st half, the game had got really scrappy, the ref was losing control, and any time anyone challenged a Wednesday player, they went down and stayed down for ages. There was massive frustration in the away end. There was only really " There's only one team in sheffield" which isn't exactly pro SUFC.... I think just a general bit of "anit-wednesday" vibe going on. Which given the state of the game, isn't entirely surprising.

I thought the away fans were great today. Sounded good in there, anyway.

Fans were excellent yesterday, and given what any group of away fans could sing when they’re at Hillsborough, let’s be thankful that the repertoire went no further than “There’s only one team in Sheffield.”
Banter Police… on 08:45 - Sep 17 with 1215 viewsDJR

Banter Police… on 08:33 - Sep 17 by patrickswell

Fans were excellent yesterday, and given what any group of away fans could sing when they’re at Hillsborough, let’s be thankful that the repertoire went no further than “There’s only one team in Sheffield.”

I must have missed the "one team in Sheffield" chants, but I do really dislike the other chants I heard yesterday aimed at Wednesday fans (eg. "you're only here for the Ipswich").

It's not really banter in the sense that it's not actually funny, and surely with such an excellent display yesterday we ought to be singing only positive songs, rather than focusing on the opposition.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 8:46]
Banter Police… on 08:55 - Sep 17 with 1174 viewsPinewoodblue

Can remember, at Old Trafford, Town fans chiding Mam U fans by making reference to Liverpool, it certainly woke them up.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Banter Police… on 09:01 - Sep 17 with 1164 viewsFunge

Banter Police… on 20:52 - Sep 16 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Despite our 90s history I actually quite like the Blades, always felt like the real Sheffield club to me instead of these Derbyshire /Chesterfield types that follow Wednesday. Although the Crooks side of the city is Wednesday country and quite nice.

Anyway signing opposition songs is the most daft tinpot thing ever. There really are some thick people about. Morons singing bubbles at Millwall about 10 years ago I’ll never forget. Wouldn’t have got away with that in our end once upon a time.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 20:54]

Yeah, I remember Bubbles at the Den, actually made me angry.

Altho I despise Wham almost as much as Norfolk; well, sometimes, anyway.
Another recentish one on 09:26 - Sep 17 with 1119 viewsDyland

Banter Police… on 08:55 - Sep 17 by Pinewoodblue

Can remember, at Old Trafford, Town fans chiding Mam U fans by making reference to Liverpool, it certainly woke them up.

And showing it's not a very new phenomenon... at Stamford Bridge in 2000 when we scored first, and fans started singing "One nil to the football team"... before Chelsea proceeded to score four goals.

It was indicative of a small club mentality, crowing at the slightest bit of success however fleeting, and hubris with a healthy side of shoulder chippage. Ironically it was a Chelsea who had been as hopeless as Town for an age before the Roman financial doping.

In mitigation, and continuing the theme, it's as much because we've been starved of much to sing about for long stretches since the mid 80s as much as having a David v Goliath mindset. Nonetheless, I find a lot of it a bit embarrassing and frustrating and much prefer singing about the Town rather than the oppo, especially Nodge and Delia when we aren't even playing them.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Banter Police… on 09:46 - Sep 17 with 1100 viewsglasso

I still have a lingering hatred for Sheff United from the Warnock days. We had some right tear ups with them (on the pitch) back in the 00s. I much prefer Wednesday to United even if they've been trouble in recent games
Mid/late 90s innit? (n/t) on 09:57 - Sep 17 with 1078 viewsDyland

Banter Police… on 09:46 - Sep 17 by glasso

I still have a lingering hatred for Sheff United from the Warnock days. We had some right tear ups with them (on the pitch) back in the 00s. I much prefer Wednesday to United even if they've been trouble in recent games

Mid/late 90s innit? (n/t) on 10:44 - Sep 17 with 1045 viewsSteve_M

Mid/late 90s innit? (n/t) on 09:57 - Sep 17 by Dyland

We rarely lost to them in the Warnock days, despite the way they played. Actually the play-off semi was obviously the big one but we din't lose much to them in the late 90s - just incredibly feisty games with all sorts of sh1thousing going on.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Banter Police… on 10:59 - Sep 17 with 1023 viewsStenvict

Who's to say they weren't saying Wednesday are the only team in Sheffield?

Poll: What will be announced first?

Aye on 11:04 - Sep 17 with 1024 viewsDyland

Mid/late 90s innit? (n/t) on 10:44 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

We rarely lost to them in the Warnock days, despite the way they played. Actually the play-off semi was obviously the big one but we din't lose much to them in the late 90s - just incredibly feisty games with all sorts of sh1thousing going on.

Oh... and Ole Ole Ole... but not really! Kind of an inverse ole... actually, not an ole at all, but you know what I mean... arf.

EDIT: and that WAS of course the 2000s...
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 11:06]

Banter Police… on 11:45 - Sep 17 with 983 viewsRyorry

Banter Police… on 08:45 - Sep 17 by DJR

I must have missed the "one team in Sheffield" chants, but I do really dislike the other chants I heard yesterday aimed at Wednesday fans (eg. "you're only here for the Ipswich").

It's not really banter in the sense that it's not actually funny, and surely with such an excellent display yesterday we ought to be singing only positive songs, rather than focusing on the opposition.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 8:46]

Re the “other chants aimed at (opposition) fans generally, are you seriously suggesting that old ones like “sh1t ground, no fans” shouldn’t be sung?

Yes it’s a bit lame, but ones like that are just traditional banter and part of away games. Bet some on the thread (not saying you) have moaned about not enough vocal support from our fans in the past too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024