Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Maguire 08:46 - Sep 13 with 3035 viewsWickets

Has there ever been a better example of how media can destroy a player by undermining his confidence ? He now looks a pathetic shadow of the player Man U signed a few years ago . I really feel for him .
Harry Maguire on 08:52 - Sep 13 with 2479 viewsbelgablue

With all the talk of mental well-being these days I think it's pretty outrageous. His performances have clearly dropped but the witch hunt has been ridiculous

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Harry Maguire on 09:18 - Sep 13 with 2370 viewsMookamoo

Had the opportunity to move in the summer and do something about it. Chose not to.
Harry Maguire on 09:28 - Sep 13 with 2337 views_clive_baker_

I thought he was fine when he came on last night. Didn't have a huge amount to do but didn't give Dykes any change at all, used the ball pretty well. He's got thick skin and never hides. 60 odd caps and he's very rarely let us down in an England shirt to be fair to him.
Harry Maguire on 09:31 - Sep 13 with 2330 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

He should have made a move to West Ham, where his battling aspect would have made him a cult hero, but he decided to stay on Manures bench for more money instead. I would be surprised if he played for another big club again once they get shot of him.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 9:32]
Harry Maguire on 09:37 - Sep 13 with 2282 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, he's still a good defender - maybe wasn't quite up to the levels of a Big 6 club when it really mattered but the way he is treated by the media/social media is pretty terrible. It's like any potential England problem is down to him, and it is the biggest issue ever when he is one of the 26 in the squad and all our problems (which we don't really have) are because we don't have someone like Fikayo Tomori there for a few training sessions every other month.

I think he should have gone to West Ham, but then Man U should have made that deal work financially for him as him staying there is no good to man nor beast

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harry Maguire on 09:53 - Sep 13 with 2213 viewsJakeITFC

An almost ever-present in our best England team for generations, team of the tournament in the last Euros (and must have been close to it in the World Cup in 2018 and was my MOTM in at least one game in Qatar too) and not long ago an £80m purchase.

That he’s been mismanaged and left out to dry by a series of Manchester United managers is not his fault at all. He’s clearly in our best group of centre backs and deserves his place in the squad. I hope for his benefit that he is able to get a move in January ahead of next summers tournament.
Harry Maguire on 09:59 - Sep 13 with 2177 viewsgiant_stow

Harry Maguire on 09:53 - Sep 13 by JakeITFC

An almost ever-present in our best England team for generations, team of the tournament in the last Euros (and must have been close to it in the World Cup in 2018 and was my MOTM in at least one game in Qatar too) and not long ago an £80m purchase.

That he’s been mismanaged and left out to dry by a series of Manchester United managers is not his fault at all. He’s clearly in our best group of centre backs and deserves his place in the squad. I hope for his benefit that he is able to get a move in January ahead of next summers tournament.

He didn't help himself by apparently refusing that West Ham move, but then again, it was very sad to see him head-fcked by the crowd last night.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Harry Maguire on 10:02 - Sep 13 with 2157 viewsKieran_Knows

Harry Maguire on 09:37 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

Yep, he's still a good defender - maybe wasn't quite up to the levels of a Big 6 club when it really mattered but the way he is treated by the media/social media is pretty terrible. It's like any potential England problem is down to him, and it is the biggest issue ever when he is one of the 26 in the squad and all our problems (which we don't really have) are because we don't have someone like Fikayo Tomori there for a few training sessions every other month.

I think he should have gone to West Ham, but then Man U should have made that deal work financially for him as him staying there is no good to man nor beast

I did wonder if these 2 fixtures would've been a good opportunity to just take him out the limelight a little? No matter what centre backs we played against Ukraine, we still should've had enough to win, and last night was simply a friendly in which he didn't start anyway.

That said, it has all gone a bit OTT with him.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Harry Maguire on 10:07 - Sep 13 with 2131 viewsArnieM

I think the England fans did a pretty good job of destroying his confidence last night. Bloody disgrace from so called “ fans” !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Harry Maguire on 10:13 - Sep 13 with 2091 views_clive_baker_

Harry Maguire on 10:07 - Sep 13 by ArnieM

I think the England fans did a pretty good job of destroying his confidence last night. Bloody disgrace from so called “ fans” !

It was the Scotland fans sarcastically cheering every pass he made.
Harry Maguire on 10:16 - Sep 13 with 2077 viewsDeano69

Quite honestly, appalling treatment of a human being.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Harry Maguire on 10:18 - Sep 13 with 2074 viewsitfcjoe

Harry Maguire on 10:02 - Sep 13 by Kieran_Knows

I did wonder if these 2 fixtures would've been a good opportunity to just take him out the limelight a little? No matter what centre backs we played against Ukraine, we still should've had enough to win, and last night was simply a friendly in which he didn't start anyway.

That said, it has all gone a bit OTT with him.

It's so OTT, and ultimately if he doesn't start all season and Colwill does he won't start at the Euro's.

It's been a good international break for Marc Guéhi though, ad feels for the first time with Colwill and Guéhi there is someone putting actual pressure on him now as likes of Coady, Mings, Dier, Tomori, etc have all been decent enough and not let England down but not been close to where Maguire has been performance wise for England [bar Mings for a brief period in Euro 2020 but then HM looked better when back]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Harry Maguire on 10:18 - Sep 13 with 2070 views_clive_baker_

Harry Maguire on 09:53 - Sep 13 by JakeITFC

Yep, I can't think of many times where he's let England down in his 60 odd appearances, including some big, big games against the worlds best opposition.

I don't think he's become a bad player overnight, but he's certainly been made a scape goat at Manchester United, which has been a circus of a club for the 4 years he's been there. I'm shocked he didn't jump at the chance to leave in the summer to be honest, regardless of the finances.
Harry Maguire on 10:21 - Sep 13 with 2047 viewsSharkey

Harry Maguire on 09:31 - Sep 13 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

He should have made a move to West Ham, where his battling aspect would have made him a cult hero, but he decided to stay on Manures bench for more money instead. I would be surprised if he played for another big club again once they get shot of him.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 9:32]

Of course it's possible it was solely for more money, but I guess it could also have been for geographical reasons. I think he has always lived in the same part of south Yorkshire, whoever he's played for. I know nothing about him, but possibly he feels committed to something he does in his free time close to home, or his partner has a fulfilling career in that part of the world. Maybe he'd be more inclined to go (back) to Sheffield Utd or to Forest than to move to sunny Essex.
Harry Maguire on 10:25 - Sep 13 with 1997 viewsWickets

What on earth makes you think it was the England fans !
Harry Maguire on 11:01 - Sep 13 with 1833 viewsMancBlue86

It’s a disgusting thing to put a person through, it’s bad enough the fans do it but the media have a lot to answer for. If I was Harry I would ask not to be played at all and take until January away, keeps himself fit and in agreement that he will leave United. He needs a recharge and to not see all the hate for a while. Theres still a bloody good centre back in there.

Poll: Who should be in goal tommorow?

Harry Maguire on 11:07 - Sep 13 with 1787 viewsArnieM

Harry Maguire on 10:13 - Sep 13 by _clive_baker_

It was the Scotland fans sarcastically cheering every pass he made.

Was it ? Oh well I’m sorry to have misjudged the England fans then.
I was convinced snd very confused as to why the England fans would do this. I thought it was our fans because there’s been a lot of criticism regarding certain players being selected.

Harry Maguire on 11:13 - Sep 13 with 1766 viewsSteve_M

Harry Maguire on 11:07 - Sep 13 by ArnieM

Was it ? Oh well I’m sorry to have misjudged the England fans then.
I was convinced snd very confused as to why the England fans would do this. I thought it was our fans because there’s been a lot of criticism regarding certain players being selected.

I did read that those England fans in the ground made a particular point of supporting Maguire.

And FWIW, I agree with the general reflective tone of this thread - the overreaction and scapegoating of Maguire for his loss of form is spectacular and miserable at the same time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Harry Maguire on 11:17 - Sep 13 with 1756 viewsrickw

Harry Maguire on 10:18 - Sep 13 by _clive_baker_

Yep, I can't think of many times where he's let England down in his 60 odd appearances, including some big, big games against the worlds best opposition.

I don't think he's become a bad player overnight, but he's certainly been made a scape goat at Manchester United, which has been a circus of a club for the 4 years he's been there. I'm shocked he didn't jump at the chance to leave in the summer to be honest, regardless of the finances.

He's also England's all time top scoring defender and deserves a lot more respect than he's been getting, I would guess he'll leave Man Utd before next season then start to remind people he's actually a decent player

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Harry Maguire on 11:35 - Sep 13 with 1695 viewsArnieM

Harry Maguire on 11:13 - Sep 13 by Steve_M

I did read that those England fans in the ground made a particular point of supporting Maguire.

And FWIW, I agree with the general reflective tone of this thread - the overreaction and scapegoating of Maguire for his loss of form is spectacular and miserable at the same time.

Yes I agree with you, and I do feel so sorry for him. There’s no hiding place out there is there.

Harry Maguire on 11:37 - Sep 13 with 1693 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I agree, it's deplorable the way he is treated. But the general public on social media are just as bad.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Harry Maguire on 11:42 - Sep 13 with 1682 viewsipswichtillidie

The reality is the social media outlets post mick takes and Harry Maguire post because it sadly gets clicks. I delete and block them on my Twitter feed for the same reason as I’d never turn a page of the Sun newspaper. I would guess knowing the media and how they work a villain turned hero would make a good story so wouldn’t be surprising if at some point it flips when they realise that their behaviour is offensive rather than just click bait.

Gav

Harry Maguire on 11:51 - Sep 13 with 1628 viewsNutkins_Return

The treatment is disgusting. Fans jumping on the bandwagon and just believing everything they read also blows my mind. His performances hvlave never been as bad as made out for Man Utd albeit his level has dropped with all of this.

For England he has never let us down. Even last night that OG could happen to anyone and he was fine. He's a top Centre Back. Lacks a little pace so needs pace alongside him. He could play for a lot of top teams abroad and be respected. Big shame. As a nation this sort of thing shames is really.

Yes going to West Ham would have been a decent move. But he should be playing higher than them still. And after first year he would be taking about £100k a year drop. Why should he really.
Harry Maguire on 11:52 - Sep 13 with 1627 viewsBiGDonnie

The irony of this post with your views and comments on our defenders is insane...

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Harry Maguire on 12:09 - Sep 13 with 1515 viewsDeano69

As much as I detest the whole Saudi 'situation', I wouldn't at all blame him if he said sod this, 2 years over there, make half a billion and get away from all the nonsense.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024