Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. 13:26 - Sep 1 with 3095 viewsAsa

I was at Cheltenham a couple of seasons back when Edwards looked so good you could only laugh at how we'd manage to land him. Must have been 10 times in the first half where he left 3 or 4 defenders for dead in one go.

It got me thinking of players that, early in their Town careers, made you think they were going to be the business (whether they did or didn't).

Edwards aside, Burgess looked absolutely brilliant for the first 70 minutes that night and had a similar feeling about him.

Finidi v Derby, Steve Whitton v WBA, Grant Ward's second half debut hat-trick stand out for me. Likewise, Gio in his first few games.

Not old enough to remember Mariner's home debut but guessing plenty will list that one.

So who else has completely got your hopes up in their first few Town appearances?
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:28 - Sep 1 with 2363 viewsbluesym

Mark Stuart- Watford away in about 1988ish. Loanee winger from Charlton,think he scored twice. Told all my mates how good he was,only for that to be the pinnacle of his Town career and done absolutely nothing for the rest of his loan spell!

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:30 - Sep 1 with 2328 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Ryan Fraser and Jonny Williams, before opposition players realised that all they had to do to stop us in successive seasons was dismember our speedy loan Winger.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:30 - Sep 1 with 2311 viewsWeirdFishes

First impressions of Paul Taylor were very good.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:33 - Sep 1 with 2260 viewshomer_123

Grant Ward anyone....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:35 - Sep 1 with 2233 viewsVic

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:30 - Sep 1 by WeirdFishes

First impressions of Paul Taylor were very good.

That flick, turn and run down the right wing was about all he ever did in his town 'career'. Such a disappointment.

Seeing Mariner on his debut was when i really knew we were building something very, very special in those days. He was a Rolls Royce - smooth yet incredibly strong. Yes, that was a wow moment.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:36 - Sep 1 with 2219 viewsAsa

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:35 - Sep 1 by Vic

That flick, turn and run down the right wing was about all he ever did in his town 'career'. Such a disappointment.

Seeing Mariner on his debut was when i really knew we were building something very, very special in those days. He was a Rolls Royce - smooth yet incredibly strong. Yes, that was a wow moment.

See also the unreal flick and turn from Gwiondinho versus Blackburn. Looked like we had an absolute baller.

Also remember Larsen Toure connecting with his first corner, keeping it on the pitch and thinking that lad knows how to take a set piece.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:37 - Sep 1 with 2203 viewsKievthegreat

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:33 - Sep 1 by homer_123

Grant Ward anyone....

The ultimate selection. Manages to score a hattrick on debut and yet be an instantly forgettable player.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:37 - Sep 1 with 2192 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Bit of a left field one but Alan Sunderland, as a replacement for Paul Mariner

Stats were nothing special but gave us a bit of oomph up top. Helped us avoid relegation a couple of times.

Career was obviously in decline when he signed, but so indeed was Paul Mariners.
Login to get fewer ads

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:39 - Sep 1 with 2159 viewsgainsboroughblue

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:28 - Sep 1 by bluesym

Mark Stuart- Watford away in about 1988ish. Loanee winger from Charlton,think he scored twice. Told all my mates how good he was,only for that to be the pinnacle of his Town career and done absolutely nothing for the rest of his loan spell!

That was an insane performance against Watford. I was at work for his home debut v Pompey ( I think) and recall his 5/10 rating from Dave Allard in the Star the next night.

Didn't get any better from that point.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:41 - Sep 1 with 2127 viewsChurchman

Great question.

Yes, Mariner is the obvious one so I’ll leave that aside. I will say from a few years later Frans Thijssen. Muhren had joined and made a slow start to his Ipswich career thanks to how we we playing. The team began to evolve and it was clear what a smashing player Muhren really was.

Then Frans arrived. I had no real idea what to expect. He was unplayable, simple as that. What a footballer. He won footballer of the year in 1981. Says it all really.

At the other end of the scale I offer you Jonas Knudson. Watched him in a pre season friendly v Gillingham or somebody. He was brave, good in the tackle, combative, mobile, heck of a shot and a launcher of a long throw. What’s not to like thought I. Yet while he was never as bad as some painted, it somehow never really happened.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 13:42]
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:42 - Sep 1 with 2122 viewsMookamoo

Used to go and watch the U21s when Kiwomya played for them. He was something else at that age.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:42 - Sep 1 with 2120 views_clive_baker_

Speaking of Ward's, Stephen's was impressive. A 3-0 cup win over Bristol Rovers, and just looked so much better then those around him. He had played in the Premier League 2 seasons prior and Championship before us, so I wasn't overly surprised, but I remember watching him and thinking he was a huge step up and finally having a dependable left back again. Positionally, vocally, technically, just looked so superior.

Shame it all went to sh1t that season, and probably just about the worst environment imaginable for a 35 year old.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:42 - Sep 1 with 2110 viewsHorsham

Scott Houghton on loan from Spurs against Charlton or Palace at Selhurst Park.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:44 - Sep 1 with 2082 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:41 - Sep 1 by Churchman

Great question.

Yes, Mariner is the obvious one so I’ll leave that aside. I will say from a few years later Frans Thijssen. Muhren had joined and made a slow start to his Ipswich career thanks to how we we playing. The team began to evolve and it was clear what a smashing player Muhren really was.

Then Frans arrived. I had no real idea what to expect. He was unplayable, simple as that. What a footballer. He won footballer of the year in 1981. Says it all really.

At the other end of the scale I offer you Jonas Knudson. Watched him in a pre season friendly v Gillingham or somebody. He was brave, good in the tackle, combative, mobile, heck of a shot and a launcher of a long throw. What’s not to like thought I. Yet while he was never as bad as some painted, it somehow never really happened.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 13:42]

Knudsen did ok for us really though didn't he.

Dean McDonald could have been so much more I think. Looked great for a short period under (I think) Royle.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:44 - Sep 1 with 2064 viewsNedPlimpton

Barry Cotter!
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:46 - Sep 1 with 2041 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:44 - Sep 1 by NedPlimpton

Barry Cotter!

Nice to see him doing well at Barnsley - he's assisted a couple and scored one already this season I think
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:47 - Sep 1 with 2008 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

That time that Jonathan Douglas made a forward pass…
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:54 - Sep 1 with 1937 viewsoldbeardy

Going back a bit but Alan Hunter. Also Keiron Dyer coming on as a sub at home and immediately lighting the place up
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:55 - Sep 1 with 1924 viewsVaughan8

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:44 - Sep 1 by PrideOfTheEast

Dean McDonald could have been so much more I think. Looked great for a short period under (I think) Royle.

Knudsen Played for Denmark at the 2018 world cup and set up the goal (a long throw!!) against Croatia I think it was.

He was nowhere near as bad as people said he was.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:57 - Sep 1 with 1874 viewsChurchman

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:44 - Sep 1 by PrideOfTheEast

I think he did ok. Just not as well as I thought he might - but then look at where the club was heading when he joined.

Forgot about McDonald. Promise was about all there was.

Another real star was David McGoldrick. The first time I saw him play it was a ‘wow, he’s the best player in the team by a mile’. And he didn’t disappoint. Top player.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:59 - Sep 1 with 1855 viewsGarv

That Cheltenham game sums Edwards up perfectly.

For all that he looked silky and able to beat a man at will, and that it seemed silly we'd been able to get him, he still didn't produce anything of note.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:04 - Sep 1 with 1797 viewsRobTheMonk

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:33 - Sep 1 by homer_123

Grant Ward anyone....

Haha, I remember being at Craven Cottage when Fulham battered Ipswich 4-1 with us somehow taking the lead. I was sat near Grant Ward on the right wing and thinking 'How did this guy score a hat trick on his debut?'.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:11 - Sep 1 with 1717 viewssjg

An easily forgotten one - James Collins vs Rotherham. Looked an absolute titan.

I bumped into him at Go Ape about this time last year, and told him I had one of the best games I'd seen an Ipswich player have (I'm 23...). He instantly said back to me 'Rotherham'.

That day was the last time that I thought we had a slither of hope of staying up that year
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:19 - Sep 1 with 1630 viewsportmanpensioner

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:47 - Sep 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

That time that Jonathan Douglas made a forward pass…

Did he?

must have missed that one
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:28 - Sep 1 with 1566 viewsgernon

Adam Tanner's debut (I think) v Leicester was decent. Think he got subbed to a standing ovation, which felt more than just debut recognition. He looked impressive that day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024