Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. 13:26 - Sep 1 with 3132 viewsAsa

I was at Cheltenham a couple of seasons back when Edwards looked so good you could only laugh at how we'd manage to land him. Must have been 10 times in the first half where he left 3 or 4 defenders for dead in one go.

It got me thinking of players that, early in their Town careers, made you think they were going to be the business (whether they did or didn't).

Edwards aside, Burgess looked absolutely brilliant for the first 70 minutes that night and had a similar feeling about him.

Finidi v Derby, Steve Whitton v WBA, Grant Ward's second half debut hat-trick stand out for me. Likewise, Gio in his first few games.

Not old enough to remember Mariner's home debut but guessing plenty will list that one.

So who else has completely got your hopes up in their first few Town appearances?
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:28 - Sep 1 with 701 viewsswede

For me it has to be Finidi George in his home debut against Derby County in 2001.

I know that it is popular to mock Finidi as a waste of money etc, but I still maintain that in over 50 years of watching football at PR, that performance was the best I have ever seen. He was absolutely magnificent that evening, scoring twice.
I remember thinking at the end of the match "wow, what a player we've got there!"

Then that goal he scored in the 5-0 against Sunderland just after Christmas must have featured on TWTD dozens of times since then.
Sadly he came back from the Africa Cup of Nations a shadow of the player he was for the first half of that season.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:44 - Sep 1 with 650 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Steve Whitton was a very good player for Ipswich.

Stuart Slater is a famous mock-tease who looked like he would be class and never delivered.

Santos's debut game, he looked like he might be useful and the type of player we had missed. Turns out he was tragic for Town!
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:44 - Sep 1 with 652 viewshomer_123

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:28 - Sep 1 by swede

For me it has to be Finidi George in his home debut against Derby County in 2001.

I know that it is popular to mock Finidi as a waste of money etc, but I still maintain that in over 50 years of watching football at PR, that performance was the best I have ever seen. He was absolutely magnificent that evening, scoring twice.
I remember thinking at the end of the match "wow, what a player we've got there!"

Then that goal he scored in the 5-0 against Sunderland just after Christmas must have featured on TWTD dozens of times since then.
Sadly he came back from the Africa Cup of Nations a shadow of the player he was for the first half of that season.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:44 - Sep 1 with 650 viewsNthQldITFC

Harbey didn't put a foot wrong on his debut.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:47 - Sep 1 with 631 viewsNthQldITFC

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:44 - Sep 1 by NthQldITFC

Harbey didn't put a foot wrong on his debut.

Apologies, that should have read:

Harbey had his boots on the wrong foot on his debut.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:53 - Sep 1 with 608 viewsmrfixit426

I was there when David Gregory scored a hat-trick against Watford in the ZDS Cup, but I just can't remember if it was his debut. It was definitely a wow moment though.

The game sticks in my memory not just for that, but a goal from bullet header at the edge of the box by Ian Redford, which is still one of the best goals I've seen at Portman Road.
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 14:54 - Sep 1 with 603 viewsBlueBadger

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:37 - Sep 1 by Kievthegreat

The ultimate selection. Manages to score a hattrick on debut and yet be an instantly forgettable player.

Did we ever discover what position he played?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 15:02 - Sep 1 with 591 viewsBlueBoots

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:54 - Sep 1 by oldbeardy

Going back a bit but Alan Hunter. Also Keiron Dyer coming on as a sub at home and immediately lighting the place up

Another shout out for Keiron Dyer; saw him come off the bench away to QPR, and one of the first things he did was knock the ball around one side of Rufus Brevitt (who was no slouch), and run around the other side of him to continue his dribble; could tell he was going to be a hell of a player just from that sub appearance.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Login to get fewer ads

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 18:23 - Sep 1 with 512 viewsStu_boy

Bonne had only been on the pitch a short time when he equalised against morecombe otherwise finidi springs to mind
Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 18:34 - Sep 1 with 503 viewschicoazul

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 13:28 - Sep 1 by bluesym

Mark Stuart- Watford away in about 1988ish. Loanee winger from Charlton,think he scored twice. Told all my mates how good he was,only for that to be the pinnacle of his Town career and done absolutely nothing for the rest of his loan spell!

I was there too. He looked amazing. Did nothing else haha.
Whitton and Petta.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Early impressions of Town players where you thought 'wow'. on 18:35 - Sep 1 with 505 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Andy Drury looked world class on his debut.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024