Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. 14:44 - Aug 30 with 2955 viewshoppy

But what was with the number of goal kicks Slicker wasn’t taking last night, and just being tapped to him, rather than just taking it himself to get it further up the pitch?

A couple of times looked like it put us a little under pressure from the Reading forwards then pressing?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 14:46 - Aug 30 with 2913 viewsFrimleyBlue

Think it was all planned tbh. Many times the reading players stood there and didn't know what to do. They then moved. It went slicker to Baggott to williams inside to Baggott to taylor to williams to Baggott. Diag to hutchinson and we got forward.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 14:53 - Aug 30 with 2852 viewsHullblue

Lots of teams do this and I'm not 100% sure of the reasoning but I think it's something like:

If you pass to the goalkeeper he then has 10 players in front of him to pass to. Or he can take a few touches and draw the press, opening up space elsewhere.

If the goalkeeper passes to the defender from the goal kick, then the defender only has 9 players in front of him to pass to.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:02 - Aug 30 with 2818 viewsBlueRaider

It prevents a team knowing which side of the pitch to focus their press on, I saw a video on it last year because I was baffled by it too. The keeper receiving the ball means its live and so can go either way easily

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:16 - Aug 30 with 2723 viewsMetal_Hacker

Modern day football Hoppy - confuses me too

Poll: If it were one or the other

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:26 - Aug 30 with 2644 viewsGuthrum

Also allows the 'keeper to stand on the ball as long as he wants, because it is in play.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:36 - Aug 30 with 2600 viewsblue_curacao

I saw a good explainer about this but I can't find it now :(

This one is very informative but doesn't cover the variation where the defender initially passes to the keeper
https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/variation-of-goal-kick-setups/

It's all a long way from when keepers used to boot it as far as they could and the centre forward would try to get on the end of it after the first bounce!
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:39 - Aug 30 with 2567 viewsRyorry

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:26 - Aug 30 by Guthrum

Also allows the 'keeper to stand on the ball as long as he wants, because it is in play.

That's the only explan that makes sense to me, but as others have said, the finer details of thinking on contemporary football tactics often escape me too!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:07 - Aug 30 with 2448 viewshoppy

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:02 - Aug 30 by BlueRaider

It prevents a team knowing which side of the pitch to focus their press on, I saw a video on it last year because I was baffled by it too. The keeper receiving the ball means its live and so can go either way easily

But do we do that with Walton/Hladky? I’ve not noticed it with either of them?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:09 - Aug 30 with 2430 viewsSheffordBlue

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 15:39 - Aug 30 by Ryorry

That's the only explan that makes sense to me, but as others have said, the finer details of thinking on contemporary football tactics often escape me too!

There's a good video explanation of it here from the Tifo analysis Youtube channel:

All of our keepers have done this on occasions this season.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:34 - Aug 30 with 2324 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I agree, it's too much, we are risking ourselves at the back a lot with this style of play, especially when we really don't have the players to do much of it atm.
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:42 - Aug 30 with 2305 viewsSheffordBlue

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:34 - Aug 30 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I agree, it's too much, we are risking ourselves at the back a lot with this style of play, especially when we really don't have the players to do much of it atm.

How many goals have we conceded playing out from the back since McKenna came in?

As he said in a recent press conference fans don't remember the long punts down field that turnover possession which leads to goals - they only remember the playing out from the back ones!

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:44 - Aug 30 with 2298 viewsSitfcB

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:07 - Aug 30 by hoppy

But do we do that with Walton/Hladky? I’ve not noticed it with either of them?

It happened the whole game at Sunderland, can’t remember seeing it as much in the other games, but sure it was just not noticeable after a few times.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:54 - Aug 30 with 2249 viewsHullblue

We've. Lost. One. Game. Since. February.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 19:22 - Aug 30 with 2039 viewsCoastalblue

Undecided, Budgie or Mick?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 19:24 - Aug 30 with 2019 viewsKieran_Knows

All about drawing teams in to press us and ‘hopefully’* us beating that press giving us more room to play in.

*it’s worked considerably well so far.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 20:05 - Aug 30 with 1893 viewsCrawfordsboot

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 19:24 - Aug 30 by Kieran_Knows

All about drawing teams in to press us and ‘hopefully’* us beating that press giving us more room to play in.

*it’s worked considerably well so far.

It’s quite simple really. The ball is not in play until the keeper touches it.

So if the defender takes the goal kick playing it to the keeper the opposition forwards cannot enter the box and try to press until he (the keeper)touches the ball. The keeper therefore has more time to set himself and play the ball. If the keeper played the ball to the defender the opposition could move into the box and press the defender whilst the ball is travelling. In other words the receiving defender would have much less time to set and play the ball than the keeper would have in the first example.
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 20:45 - Aug 30 with 1780 viewsVegtablue

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 16:44 - Aug 30 by SitfcB

It happened the whole game at Sunderland, can’t remember seeing it as much in the other games, but sure it was just not noticeable after a few times.

At least once against Leeds but I wasn't counting aha.
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 20:59 - Aug 30 with 1703 viewsBlueBadger

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 19:22 - Aug 30 by Coastalblue

Undecided, Budgie or Mick?

A username based around a minor triumph in Europe SCREAMS 'budgie'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 21:13 - Aug 30 with 1653 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 20:05 - Aug 30 by Crawfordsboot

It’s quite simple really. The ball is not in play until the keeper touches it.

So if the defender takes the goal kick playing it to the keeper the opposition forwards cannot enter the box and try to press until he (the keeper)touches the ball. The keeper therefore has more time to set himself and play the ball. If the keeper played the ball to the defender the opposition could move into the box and press the defender whilst the ball is travelling. In other words the receiving defender would have much less time to set and play the ball than the keeper would have in the first example.

The ball is in play as soon as it’s kicked, not when the keeper touches it.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 21:28 - Aug 30 with 1605 viewsCrawfordsboot

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 21:13 - Aug 30 by WestStanderLaLaLa

The ball is in play as soon as it’s kicked, not when the keeper touches it.

I took this from the link provided above by blue curaçao

“The new adjustment to the rule allows players from the team that have possession to enter, and receive the ball inside the box, rather than having to wait for it to leave the penalty area before touching it. Yet, opposing players must remain outside the box until the ball is in play (when the goalkeeper first kicks it).”

This may be badly worded of course
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 21:29]
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 21:40 - Aug 30 with 1529 viewsvilanovablue

The modern press, you draw them in to create overloads. Ideally you pass forwards to a moving man creating pace and space and the game changes. The Dutch invented it really, using space effectively.
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 21:53 - Aug 30 with 1484 viewsStewart27

All part of our style now. I love it.

We still haven’t conceded any goals as a result of this.

I still soil my pants though!
Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 22:44 - Aug 30 with 1345 viewsvilanovablue

Not sure if it’s been mentioned.. on 21:53 - Aug 30 by Stewart27

All part of our style now. I love it.

We still haven’t conceded any goals as a result of this.

I still soil my pants though!

The fact we're not conceding should quell those fears. Similar stats in the championship.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024