Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for PJH? 13:05 - Aug 25 with 2383 viewsSitfcB

Who and what was Swede all about?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

One for PJH? on 13:07 - Aug 25 with 2331 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our very own version of Where’s Wally by the looks of it. Maybe half time entertainment was trying to find him in the crowd.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One for PJH? on 13:14 - Aug 25 with 2239 viewsIllinoisblue

I often think of the logistics of those early European games. How a small Maltese club would have traveled to Ipswich, how they made the arrangements. And presumably there was no significant prize money per round back then.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

One for PJH? on 13:22 - Aug 25 with 2142 viewsPJH

One for PJH? on 13:07 - Aug 25 by Swansea_Blue

Our very own version of Where’s Wally by the looks of it. Maybe half time entertainment was trying to find him in the crowd.

Swede Herring (I think that is correct spelling) was a local bus conductor who walked around the pitch at Portman `Road pre-game in the early 1960’s whipping the crowd up.
One of his chants was 1, 2, 3, 4 who are we for I P S W I C H not sure if give us an I was part of his repertoire, it might have been.
I don’t know which season he started or when he stopped, but he was certainly a part of 1961/62.
One for PJH? on 13:24 - Aug 25 with 2125 viewsfarkenhell

One for PJH? on 13:14 - Aug 25 by Illinoisblue

I often think of the logistics of those early European games. How a small Maltese club would have traveled to Ipswich, how they made the arrangements. And presumably there was no significant prize money per round back then.

And having made it to Portman Road, they were then thrashed 10-0!
One for PJH? on 13:41 - Aug 25 with 2006 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Mascot has a V neck kit as opposed to the round neck Ken Malcolm is wearing.

Previous seasons kit or homemade replica? Can't imagine replica kits were a thing back then.
One for PJH? on 13:45 - Aug 25 with 1979 viewsbobwya

One for PJH? on 13:22 - Aug 25 by PJH

Swede Herring (I think that is correct spelling) was a local bus conductor who walked around the pitch at Portman `Road pre-game in the early 1960’s whipping the crowd up.
One of his chants was 1, 2, 3, 4 who are we for I P S W I C H not sure if give us an I was part of his repertoire, it might have been.
I don’t know which season he started or when he stopped, but he was certainly a part of 1961/62.

I was one of the ball boys in 56/57 and I Know Swede was about then and I seem to remember him even before that (but memories are becoming a bit foggy!)
One for PJH? on 14:09 - Aug 25 with 1818 viewsblueislander

One for PJH? on 13:41 - Aug 25 by burnbudgiesburn

Previous seasons kit or homemade replica? Can't imagine replica kits were a thing back then.

I was there for the Floriana match , and it passed me by that Kenny Malcolm was captain that night. He wasn’t captain for many matches.

If you ever got on a bus on which Swede was conductor you could have been in for an eventful ride. The stops at the termini could get very extended.

He certainly did do the “Give us an I “ chant, and if he didn’t get the required response he would shout “wake up you dozy b-ggers or words to that effect.
One for PJH? (n/t) on 14:14 - Aug 25 with 1784 viewsPJH

One for PJH? on 14:09 - Aug 25 by blueislander

I was there for the Floriana match , and it passed me by that Kenny Malcolm was captain that night. He wasn’t captain for many matches.

If you ever got on a bus on which Swede was conductor you could have been in for an eventful ride. The stops at the termini could get very extended.

He certainly did do the “Give us an I “ chant, and if he didn’t get the required response he would shout “wake up you dozy b-ggers or words to that effect.

I thought I remembered him doing it but strangely remember the 1, 2, 3, 4 one more.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 14:16]
Login to get fewer ads

One for PJH? on 14:28 - Aug 25 with 1726 viewsSwansea_Blue

TWTD!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One for PJH? on 14:39 - Aug 25 with 1660 viewsblueislander

One for PJH? on 14:28 - Aug 25 by Swansea_Blue

TWTD!

He was certainly doing his thing in the late 50s, don’t remember when he stopped.
One for PJH? on 14:49 - Aug 25 with 1607 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Love the fact he even has shin pads. Match ready.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

One for PJH? on 15:34 - Aug 25 with 1490 viewswoodbridge_blue

I started going to matches in 1971 and Swede was certainly still going strong then.

He used to get a fair bit of stick from the opposition fans in the North Stand but it never seemed to bother him....in fact it got him going even more!

Not sure when he called it a day, I'm guessing mid to late 70s ?
One for PJH? on 15:50 - Aug 25 with 1441 viewsWeWereZombies

I think if you turned up in the crowd wearing the same shirt as the players on the pitch in 1972 you might just have been laughed out of the ground...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

One for PJH? on 16:15 - Aug 25 with 1365 viewsburnbudgiesburn

One for PJH? on 15:50 - Aug 25 by WeWereZombies

I think if you turned up in the crowd wearing the same shirt as the players on the pitch in 1972 you might just have been laughed out of the ground...

Yes, I don't even remember it as a thing when I first started going early 80's. Infact not even during the 1991-2 champ season.

Standard uniform for the crowd in 1962 seems to have been the grey overcoat!
One for PJH? on 17:19 - Aug 25 with 1262 viewsgainsboroughblue

One for PJH? on 16:15 - Aug 25 by burnbudgiesburn

Yes, I don't even remember it as a thing when I first started going early 80's. Infact not even during the 1991-2 champ season.

Standard uniform for the crowd in 1962 seems to have been the grey overcoat!

The umbro shirt we got promoted in but started wearing in 89. That was the first Town shirt I can remember being seen in swathes at an away game. Norwich away at the Hospital Cup, I went up on a travel club coach and was practically the only person not wearing one.

But yeah, before that, replica shirts were seldom seen.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 17:20]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

One for PJH? on 17:19 - Aug 25 with 1260 viewsmonty_radio

One for PJH? on 14:09 - Aug 25 by blueislander

He also kept his ticket machine so that it gleamed. He carried on in much the same way on a trolley bus that he did at Portman Rd, bellowing in a gruffish but friendly manner.

I don't think he was still going towards the end of the seventies. His role of walking around the pitch was taken over by a bloke in sort of silk blue and white top hat and tails. If he had a name, I don't recall it.

And though it's certainly true that Swede took stick from the opposition, he revelled in it. And it was no more than the respect shown by Town fans to the guy in green and yellow top hat and tails that used to carry around some sort of small trapeze or cage with suitably coloured canaries attached which, I don't remember as real, although perhaps they were.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 18:12]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

One for PJH? on 17:39 - Aug 25 with 1207 viewsnorfsufblue

One for PJH? on 17:19 - Aug 25 by monty_radio

He also kept his ticket machine so that it gleamed. He carried on in much the same way on a trolley bus that he did at Portman Rd, bellowing in a gruffish but friendly manner.

I don't think he was still going towards the end of the seventies. His role of walking around the pitch was taken over by a bloke in sort of silk blue and white top hat and tails. If he had a name, I don't recall it.

And though it's certainly true that Swede took stick from the opposition, he revelled in it. And it was no more than the respect shown by Town fans to the guy in green and yellow top hat and tails that used to carry around some sort of small trapeze or cage with suitably coloured canaries attached which, I don't remember as real, although perhaps they were.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 18:12]

When I started going in 1973 he was still doing the rounds and as I recall by then was accompanied by the merchandise dolly girls who carried all sort of Town nick naks scarfs hats badges to flog , programmes too obviously
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024