Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All Quiet on the Eastern Front 11:33 - Aug 22 with 6884 viewsLeistonBlue

Does anyone else think Ashton might be quietly regretting publicly stating that we can expect 2/3 more signings before the end of the window? Feels like it put unnecessary pressure on the situation and leaves him in a bit of a tight spot if things do go to plan and that doesn’t happen…

Also before anyone gets their knickers in a twist that wasn’t a moan!! I actually think that our squad is absolutely fine as it is, though could do with adding some strength in depth in some areas, whether that’s in the next week or in Jan.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:23 - Aug 22 with 1254 viewsGuthrum

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:13 - Aug 22 by textbackup

I hope it’s a case of waiting on other deals to be complete, other than us now going all panic mode and wasting valuable funds on players just to get bodies in.

Can't see that happening as we have no need to gratuitously 'get bodies in'. Last summer we only had the one CF, so Ahadme filled a need (we'll never know how well, as he got injured). Now we don't have any real gaps.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:26 - Aug 22 with 1215 viewsNaylorsrightboot

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 12:27 - Aug 22 by chicoazul

Of course he is. I hate this boot licking cr@p.

There he is…….Where are these 3 massive signings you said were happening then ? One of which would break our record transfer fee……Or are you really Ashton and have now changed your mind on that ?
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:28 - Aug 22 with 1211 viewstractorboy1978

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:23 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

Can't see that happening as we have no need to gratuitously 'get bodies in'. Last summer we only had the one CF, so Ahadme filled a need (we'll never know how well, as he got injured). Now we don't have any real gaps.

If Hirst got an injury and we had to go with Ladapo (with no other backup) for two months that is a gaping gap in the squad to be honest.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:31 - Aug 22 with 1173 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:21 - Aug 22 by Churchman

Nah, Clegg’s the man. Who else can bring in repainting the turnstiles at such a low cost.

People like a target. One poster was hammering Burgess before the season started but seems to have gone quiet on that. Another wangs on about the good ole days even though for many they really weren’t. Others prefer Ashton as their favourite pantomime villain, not least because they quietly believe the babblings of the Bristol City lobotomised crew.

I too believe the transfer window has been alright especially in the context of who’s been brought in during previous windows and the progress Woolfenden, Humphries and Baggott have made. Still think a couple more would be good, obviously.

As for the question of whether people would be saying this if we had three points from nine the answer is yes. I actually thought three or four points would be a solid start in the context of the fixtures.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 14:26]

Clegg another good choice. But I enjoyed how Milne used to say a player definitely wasn't for sale, and then said player would leave like 6 hours later. At least I seem to remember something like that happening.

I'm definitely someone whose been increasingly sceptical the longer this transfer window has gone on. A bed wetter as some would say. I don't think its about necessarily about having a target, or its not for me anyway. I just think its pretty clear that the expectations were set high at the start of the window by the club and people have clearly bought in to that and set their expectations accordingly. I suppose naively in some peoples eyes. We have some very significant drop offs from starting 11 to bench which would be an issue imo. But I would be delighted for the club to add a couple more quality additions and all these posts be irrelevant.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 14:33]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:32 - Aug 22 with 1154 viewsChurchman

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:28 - Aug 22 by tractorboy1978

If Hirst got an injury and we had to go with Ladapo (with no other backup) for two months that is a gaping gap in the squad to be honest.

Agreed. That’s actually my biggest concern, squad wise.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:33 - Aug 22 with 1141 viewsNaylorsrightboot

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:05 - Aug 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

He said it, I believe he also said they were down the line. So if we don't get 2/3 players in, then Ashton has fell short of the expectations that he set himself and told us would be met. With the caveat of course that he is clearly working hard.

I'm genuinely baffled at how many people are happy to go with the squad we have got when its clear that McKenna and Ashton both want players in the door, we are in a great position which is, in my eyes anyway, the time you should strengthen (always strengthen in a position of strength) and we are an injury away in a few positions (right wing, Striker, and centre half, from having a massive downgrade in terms of personnel but also in how the player would fit in to our system which is our biggest strength.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 13:08]

This 100%. Couldn’t have put it any better myself.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 14:38 - Aug 22 with 1124 viewsblueasfook

Still 10 days until the transfer window closes. Plenty of time to do some business. I hope we might see a decent loanee or two come in if we are not going to be splashing any transfer cash.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 15:22 - Aug 22 with 1022 viewsBrads

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:51 - Aug 22 by Kieran_Knows

With the greatest respect in the world, he's been the CEO of a club with one of the biggest transfer/wage budgets that the Dog and Duck League (League 1) has seen, which was reflected in the signings he made and lapped it up since.

Yet were in a totally different universe now where were not quite the big fish anymore - but you wouldn't think that with the way he's made comments/statements this summer.

Look, there's just over a week left of the market and things can clearly change (we all want that, who wouldn't), but lets not pretend that everything is rosy and this summer has gone completely as we had hoped (to date).
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 13:51]

Agree. Things are obviously very good in general but that doesn’t mean that any observations that don’t fit the main narrative shouldn’t be mentioned. It’s just having a balanced perspective.

Whilst there’s still time for this window to be a success, let’s not forget that we didn’t land our main or secondary striker targets last summer and ended up with a desperate late signing (which KMc obviously didn’t rate). The club had identified that area as an obvious one to improve on from the second half of the season before and we didn’t. The same theme of not being clinical enough in certain games then continued until an excellent January window arguably saved the season.

Let’s hope Ashton and team achieve the objectives that they’ve set themselves because our recruitment will make a huge difference to where we finish and we don’t want to be short until January again.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 15:34]
Login to get fewer ads

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 15:27 - Aug 22 with 1002 viewsBABLUE

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 15:22 - Aug 22 by Brads

Agree. Things are obviously very good in general but that doesn’t mean that any observations that don’t fit the main narrative shouldn’t be mentioned. It’s just having a balanced perspective.

Whilst there’s still time for this window to be a success, let’s not forget that we didn’t land our main or secondary striker targets last summer and ended up with a desperate late signing (which KMc obviously didn’t rate). The club had identified that area as an obvious one to improve on from the second half of the season before and we didn’t. The same theme of not being clinical enough in certain games then continued until an excellent January window arguably saved the season.

Let’s hope Ashton and team achieve the objectives that they’ve set themselves because our recruitment will make a huge difference to where we finish and we don’t want to be short until January again.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 15:34]

I assume McNally was one that they thought was coming here, maybe Rak-Sakai too.

I’m happy to wait and see what happens
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 15:46 - Aug 22 with 945 viewsKropotkin123

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 13:04 - Aug 22 by Hipsterectomy

This window has been pretty terrible for all of the hype and build up and promises before it opened.

If we were sat on 3/9 points or worse I'm sure most fans would no longer be 'just be patient/the club know who they want'

Bit of a dud point. I have us down for a top 6 finish because I believe the current squad + additions in January will be good enough to achieve that. So far we are seeing that the current team is good enough for this division, which is why we are 9 for 9. I also think the team is still settling into the standards of the division and will improve.

So we don't have 3 or worse from 9, and we can take our time on transfers. The LCB position does not look vulnerable. The CM are controlling games. Hirst doesn't look out of place up front.

But, there are better individual players in this division and just like last season, we won't be faultless. This division will be a struggle at time, regardless of any additions we bring in.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 16:05 - Aug 22 with 903 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

We need 3 good players if we are serious about top 10. An experienced keeper as cover on loan, a new centre back and a forward.

No more midfielders.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 16:06 - Aug 22 with 905 viewsVegtablue

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:37 - Aug 22 by jp_itfc

I feel really relaxed about it all, whatever will be will be. If we do miss out on targets it won't be through the lack of trying.

Well said. It's fair to acknowledge the window has been disappointing so far from the club's standpoint, given media releases and stated aims, but our failure to land targets isn't through lack of investment or trying. My only concern is how McKenna will reflect if we can't provide him with most of his wishlist.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 16:16 - Aug 22 with 857 viewsMookamoo

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 16:05 - Aug 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We need 3 good players if we are serious about top 10. An experienced keeper as cover on loan, a new centre back and a forward.

No more midfielders.

Would this keeper be a replacement for 'Team of the Week' Hladky?
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 16:29 - Aug 22 with 811 viewstextbackup

No more midfielders.

CB and CF yes, keeper no.

We need another Hirst, like REALLY need another Hirst. He can’t physically run the amount he is for 46 games, can he?!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 16:36 - Aug 22 with 781 viewsWickets

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 11:47 - Aug 22 by TootingTown

Results have certainly helped the situation. I think if things hadn't gone so well, the pressure would be mounting a bit more.
I still expect a couple more to come in, but I think the market is a bit more inflated than maybe we thought it would be.

I think you have likely hit the nail on the head "Inflated market" more cash flying around that we expected . i would not rule out a couple of deals being done but as others have said no biggie if we have to wait for the next window .
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 17:35 - Aug 22 with 668 viewsSouthPoleBlue

Let’s be clear:
1. The club is in a much better position in terms of how it’s run but fans are allowed to criticise Ashton when something does go well just as not everything marcus evans did was poor. Ashton demands performance from everyone including himself and they’ve clearly not achieved what they’d expected.
2. Ashton clearly stated several weeks ago that they were looking to add 2 to 3 more players and were advanced on 2 of them. These potential deals have clearly fallen through a long time ago now and they’ve been unsuccessful up to start of this week in terms of anyone else they’ve bid for. Those quotes clearly show that anyone who thinks we’re still waiting on our original first choice targets for permanent transfers is dreaming.
3. Given the club have rightly been clear that we still need to strengthen, people can say they’ve failed up to now. That doesn’t mean the club isn’t well run, it is well run.
4. Rumours of a signing re Williams - hopefully true as we still need more quality.
All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 17:52 - Aug 22 with 623 viewsCoastalblue

No more midfielders.

'Keeper?

I think you're going to be disappointed there regardless of how many come in.

Why would we spend money on another 'keeper?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 20:28 - Aug 22 with 542 viewsChurchman

All Quiet on the Eastern Front on 17:35 - Aug 22 by SouthPoleBlue

Let’s be clear:
1. The club is in a much better position in terms of how it’s run but fans are allowed to criticise Ashton when something does go well just as not everything marcus evans did was poor. Ashton demands performance from everyone including himself and they’ve clearly not achieved what they’d expected.
2. Ashton clearly stated several weeks ago that they were looking to add 2 to 3 more players and were advanced on 2 of them. These potential deals have clearly fallen through a long time ago now and they’ve been unsuccessful up to start of this week in terms of anyone else they’ve bid for. Those quotes clearly show that anyone who thinks we’re still waiting on our original first choice targets for permanent transfers is dreaming.
3. Given the club have rightly been clear that we still need to strengthen, people can say they’ve failed up to now. That doesn’t mean the club isn’t well run, it is well run.
4. Rumours of a signing re Williams - hopefully true as we still need more quality.

Of course people can comment and criticise. As supporters, we can and should. But it’s always preferable in my view to temper it with realism an perspective.

There’s nothing clear about what was expected and what’s been achieved yet. There’s more than a week before the end of the window. But cutting to the chase, for some there’s not been 10 new signings and any we get in now will be panic buys. Booooooooooo! Booo!!!

It’s a view I have no doubt some will hold, just as one poster views all things ITFC as rubbish and not like the 1950s. He’s entitled to it. Personally I think there’s nothing wrong with stated aims and if they are not achieved there’s nothing wrong with listening to the people involved explaining what happened. That for me is the time to comment.

As for not everything Marcus Evans did was poor, I presume you bunged that in for a laugh. Seriously? He nearly killed the club. Let’s look at his achievements : …….

That’s done then. The bloke was an absolute disaster.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 20:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024