Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are so good to watch 11:50 - Aug 14 with 3561 viewstextbackup

A few times Saturday I found myself shaking my head in disbelief that we were making an established championship team look so basic and lost.

Obviously a long way to go, and of course there will be times when we lose. But this really is such a lovely well coached team to have the privilege to watch

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

We are so good to watch on 11:56 - Aug 14 with 3116 viewsStewart27

Couldn’t agree more.

I shake my head in disbelief of the transition of our football in such a short time. KM rightly takes the plaudits because he’s an absolute hero but the levels of focus and concentration in that team at the moment are of a super high standard.

After watching the dog sh!t served up the previous 15 years I still have these moments when I think it’s all going to implode. I shouldn’t really as this team are so cohesive and well drilled.

We may eventually concede a goal as a result of playing it out from the back. Imagine that!
We are so good to watch on 11:57 - Aug 14 with 3111 viewsHullblue

Especially impressive when you look at the CVs of our team. Bar Luongo, Morsy and Chaplin there isn't much Championship experience in there - and four of our back five (including Hladky) couldn't get into our league one team at times in the last three seasons!

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

We are so good to watch on 11:58 - Aug 14 with 3103 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Amazing isn't it. At times the approach will back fire obviously (we do leave ourselves very exposed given the way we play) so just got to accept that we'll win many more than we'll lose and enjoy it.
We are so good to watch on 12:01 - Aug 14 with 3062 viewsSomethingBlue

Yes, it's the focus, flow and sheer consistency, all done at a rattling tempo. We are definitely in for some ups and downs this season but if we keep going about it this way we'll be more than OK, it's absolutely tremendous football.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We are so good to watch on 12:18 - Aug 14 with 2924 viewsLankHenners

Was particularly impressed with how quickly we worked to get the ball back when there was a slightly loose touch or a Stoke player held onto it for too long then were able to play a series of quick one touch passes to get it comfortably into our possession and move forwards.

That doesn't happen so effectively without excellent preparation and drilling from the coaching staff and buy-in from every single player to know where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to do in any given situation.

Another thing I enjoyed from Saturday was just watching a good tempo, competitive football match again. While it was nice to see us win almost every week 2nd half of last season, a lot of the games against the fodder were done by HT which made the rest of the game a bit of a non-event. If it wasn't that then it was the Cheltenhams of the world turning the match into a snore-fest by being ultra-defensive. Also I guess you couldn't get away from the fact it was league one and we 'should' be doing what we were doing, whereas now we're free from that pressure of needing results a bit and you can just sit back and enjoy the show.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We are so good to watch on 12:28 - Aug 14 with 2836 viewsHciwspi

I now find myself getting frustrated when watching a game on TV as a neutral (including the Prem). So often other teams miss what I see as an opportunity for a forward pass and it’s an opportunity I’m sure ITFC would taken. Like Brentford and Spurs yesterday, so many kisses forward passes and they ended up going back to the keeper.

Our second goal against Stoke was ITFC at their best imo. Five passes from Ladky and it’s a goal. So aggressive and really on the front foot and a joy to watch.
We are so good to watch on 12:30 - Aug 14 with 2807 viewsemergencylime

Along similar lines, there’s not the frustration/annoyance anymore at fielding a completely different XI for cup games, because we know we have the strength in depth to get a result from 11 players who didn’t start the prior league game.
Admittedly had my memory jogged by the post (or Tweet?) about that time we played at Old Trafford and MM ‘protected’ our starting XI by picking our fringe (putting it nicely) players and kids.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

It's what many of us have craved for so very long - 'a privilege to watch' on 12:32 - Aug 14 with 2797 viewsunstableblue

Great post. And God I know what you mean... I'm literally purring at some of the passing and interplay, movement and also pressing and energy. Its a delight to be at Portman Road.

I and many others don't just come to Portman Road to see 'a result', although that is clearly important. I want to be entertained, excited and I want to see football that is following an 'Ipswich Way' - that is on the ground (or direct with accuracy), fast paced and on the front foot.

It's an ethos where we are going out to win, not draw. We're going out to dominate opposition.

George Burley recently stated that McKenna has got Ipswich back to playing as he tried to, and its been a long time coming given the dross in between (a little harsh on Royle and perhaps in part Magilton).

Obviously this is not all about McKenna's excellent progressive and modern coaching, the club is all moving forward, and he has been given budget, but so did Cook, so did Keane.

McKenna is however driving the change on the pitch, some questioned whether he was proven until he made progress in the Championship, and he has in part now, but we will wobble. Teams like Stoke will start to gel, they'll work out our methods, and it will get ever harder. But I am loving the journey, and the vision he is bringing... this is no accident, this the quote from McKenna sums it up:

“Of course we want our home record to be good, and we want to win our games here, but we also we want it to be a great place to come and watch football, we want the people of the town and of the county to come here and see a team they can be proud of in terms of how brave they are, how they fight and how they play”

That is an IPSWICH MANAGER... finally, how long have we waited?!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

We are so good to watch on 12:42 - Aug 14 with 2684 viewsunstableblue

We are so good to watch on 12:30 - Aug 14 by emergencylime

Along similar lines, there’s not the frustration/annoyance anymore at fielding a completely different XI for cup games, because we know we have the strength in depth to get a result from 11 players who didn’t start the prior league game.
Admittedly had my memory jogged by the post (or Tweet?) about that time we played at Old Trafford and MM ‘protected’ our starting XI by picking our fringe (putting it nicely) players and kids.

One of the biggest problems with that era, and there were many, was the disconnect between the football ethos and approach being followed by Klugg and the academy and the first team.

That's completely gone.

Also that bizarre trait of bringing in loads of youth to one game, which is stupid as younger heads needs experienced players on mass around them

Anyway its a dark distant memory, lets enjoy every moment of the McKenna journey.

We are so good to watch on 12:43 - Aug 14 with 2676 viewsunstableblue

We are so good to watch on 11:57 - Aug 14 by Hullblue

Especially impressive when you look at the CVs of our team. Bar Luongo, Morsy and Chaplin there isn't much Championship experience in there - and four of our back five (including Hladky) couldn't get into our league one team at times in the last three seasons!

Burns is the one impressing me.

I thought he'd struggle with the move up, he looked Championship class on Saturday.

Are you really literally purring? on 12:46 - Aug 14 with 2637 viewsDyland

It's what many of us have craved for so very long - 'a privilege to watch' on 12:32 - Aug 14 by unstableblue

Great post. And God I know what you mean... I'm literally purring at some of the passing and interplay, movement and also pressing and energy. Its a delight to be at Portman Road.

I and many others don't just come to Portman Road to see 'a result', although that is clearly important. I want to be entertained, excited and I want to see football that is following an 'Ipswich Way' - that is on the ground (or direct with accuracy), fast paced and on the front foot.

It's an ethos where we are going out to win, not draw. We're going out to dominate opposition.

George Burley recently stated that McKenna has got Ipswich back to playing as he tried to, and its been a long time coming given the dross in between (a little harsh on Royle and perhaps in part Magilton).

Obviously this is not all about McKenna's excellent progressive and modern coaching, the club is all moving forward, and he has been given budget, but so did Cook, so did Keane.

McKenna is however driving the change on the pitch, some questioned whether he was proven until he made progress in the Championship, and he has in part now, but we will wobble. Teams like Stoke will start to gel, they'll work out our methods, and it will get ever harder. But I am loving the journey, and the vision he is bringing... this is no accident, this the quote from McKenna sums it up:

“Of course we want our home record to be good, and we want to win our games here, but we also we want it to be a great place to come and watch football, we want the people of the town and of the county to come here and see a team they can be proud of in terms of how brave they are, how they fight and how they play”

I mean, really? Glad you don't sit near me :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We are so good to watch on 12:53 - Aug 14 with 2592 viewstextbackup

We are so good to watch on 12:43 - Aug 14 by unstableblue

I thought he'd struggle with the move up, he looked Championship class on Saturday.

Burns, it seemed, was involved in everything we done. I left the game having not even noticed how good Davis played also.

Proper proud parents moments running through me.

We are so good to watch on 12:57 - Aug 14 with 2530 viewsBiGDonnie

What made you think he'd struggle in the Championship after getting so many goals and assists for the past two seasons?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

We are so good to watch on 13:02 - Aug 14 with 2486 viewstextbackup

We are so good to watch on 12:57 - Aug 14 by BiGDonnie

What made you think he'd struggle in the Championship after getting so many goals and assists for the past two seasons?

I thought it also. And there is likely to be games where he’ll struggle (as they all might when up against quality opposition)
IMO he’s basic, but he does the basic things very well. That’s not anything against him by the way.

We are so good to watch on 13:10 - Aug 14 with 2388 viewsBiGDonnie

We are so good to watch on 13:02 - Aug 14 by textbackup

I thought it also. And there is likely to be games where he’ll struggle (as they all might when up against quality opposition)
IMO he’s basic, but he does the basic things very well. That’s not anything against him by the way.

Disagree. Quicker and stronger than most, very direct and has a decent cross and shot. Also works very hard for the team. Think he'll go from strength to strength this season.

Not sure he'll get as many goals and assists as recent seasons, but he'll have a big part to play this year.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

We are so good to watch on 13:18 - Aug 14 with 2320 viewstextbackup

We are so good to watch on 13:10 - Aug 14 by BiGDonnie

Disagree. Quicker and stronger than most, very direct and has a decent cross and shot. Also works very hard for the team. Think he'll go from strength to strength this season.

Not sure he'll get as many goals and assists as recent seasons, but he'll have a big part to play this year.

1 assist in 2 games, not doing too badly 😎

It's what many of us have craved for so very long - 'a privilege to watch' on 13:18 - Aug 14 with 2310 viewsitfc_bucks

It's what many of us have craved for so very long - 'a privilege to watch' on 12:32 - Aug 14 by unstableblue

Royle gets a pass from me. What that bloke did to make us even vaguely competitive, while conducting a fire sale, is nothing short of miraculous.
Are you really literally purring? on 13:23 - Aug 14 with 2215 viewsunstableblue

Are you really literally purring? on 12:46 - Aug 14 by Dyland

I mean, really? Glad you don't sit near me :)

Yes like a huge cat....

Apologies terrible choice of words

I think the word for the Stoke game was 'rabid-lunacy'

Several pints, loads of emotion and a great game... was screaming like a mad man

Have made a mental note to chill out a little for the Leeds game.. don't want to get a reputation amongst other nearby season ticket holders.

Are you really literally purring? on 13:34 - Aug 14 with 2099 viewsDyland

Are you really literally purring? on 13:23 - Aug 14 by unstableblue

Yes like a huge cat....

Apologies terrible choice of words

I think the word for the Stoke game was 'rabid-lunacy'

Several pints, loads of emotion and a great game... was screaming like a mad man

Have made a mental note to chill out a little for the Leeds game.. don't want to get a reputation amongst other nearby season ticket holders.

Ha, you work away dear Stablers. Rabid lunacy is to be embraced when it’s of the positive variety innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We are so good to watch on 13:42 - Aug 14 with 2039 viewsbackwaywhen

Like Sir Bobby KM makes good players better …… COYBs
We are so good to watch on 13:44 - Aug 14 with 2020 viewstextbackup

We are so good to watch on 13:42 - Aug 14 by backwaywhen

Like Sir Bobby KM makes good players better …… COYBs

I’m trying to think, and I can’t think of a single player that hasn’t improved under his coaching here.

We are so good to watch on 13:47 - Aug 14 with 1985 viewsStu_Magoo

Totally agree. On Saturday when Stoke bought on the massive dude Wesley just before half time, my friend commented - "Isn't it nice to think the McKenna is probably going to have a plan to explain at half-time to counter that?"

Makes going to footy so much more enjoyable, knowing we're a proper outfit now.
We are so good to watch on 13:50 - Aug 14 with 1962 viewsNORFOLK_BLUE

I said the same to the chap next to me on Saturday after the 2nd goal. Not that long ago the CB would have either hoofed it out for a throw or played a dodgy backpass to the GK. Instead Burgess took his time, check his postion, passed his way out of toruble and 5/6 passes later we scored. Incredible stuff to watch.

We will come unstuck at times with it for sure, but im lovong it right now and long may it continue.
We are so good to watch on 13:55 - Aug 14 with 1938 viewsDJR

It's what I hoped for when Cook became manager but I don't think that the level of football he was capable of producing was anything like that which McKenna is capable of.

And to be honest, even if we don't make the Premier League for some time, or at all, I would be happy with football of the quality on Saturday, even if it isn't every game. Indeed, I almost got as much enjoyment on Saturday as I got from the key games at the end of last season.
We are so good to watch on 14:07 - Aug 14 with 1849 viewsurbanblue

We are so good to watch on 13:44 - Aug 14 by textbackup

I’m trying to think, and I can’t think of a single player that hasn’t improved under his coaching here.

If they haven't improved they've gone ... KYV, Piggot?

Even Ahadme has started well for Cambridge and seems to be improving. I still have hopes for him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024