Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
View from my seat 10:53 - Aug 14 with 4684 viewsJrm_72

Apologies if already done before, but reading the thread about "how noisy are Blue Action from where I sit", I thought a thread about how you rate the area of PR you normally sit in might be useful for people that don't go as often perhaps, or are new and not sure where to try.

For me, I am now abit of a nomad. Had a season ticket Block GG, Row A for about 10 years man and boy, which I gave up after University. So I end up in random places at the moment.

For Stoke I was in Block T of the Cobbold, Row B. Which turned out to be directly below the Stoke Fans (more on that later). Here are some basic thoughts:

- Not ideal for those with mobility issues. My Mum has got two metal knees and one metal hip. Doesn't qualify for a blue badge (sigh), but walks with a stick and finds stairs tricky. The steps underground to go down and up therefore not ideal. Apparently there is one ramp in corner for exit only, but this was the far side of the cobbold and opposite to where our car was. We managed to sweet talk the Gold Seat guards to let her exit via Burley's bar where it isnt step free but less steps.

- Entrance. One entrance at far right of stand, so us sitting on far left had to walk all way across the front and back to get in and then get to loos/bar.

- Facilities. Speaking of which, two loos and one bar for the whole of Cobbold lower was shocking. Choice of food pretty poor too. I've sat in all four stands in my time and this is by far the worst for facilities. And £5.50 for a 500ml bottle of IPA!!! Old Trafford is £3 a pint for comparison.

- View. Is great. I personally love being right close to the action. You do struggle to get a full view of the pitch, but when the action is close to you it is so close. Love the raised level of the pitch as well to improve sight lines even more.

- Seat and atmos. Singing is virtually non-existent down here. I put my hands up myself to say I am not a singer unless at an away game and its kind of required. Bit of clapping, some standing for those to signify they do indeed hate the scum, bout it.

- Stoke fans. Being right below them, they were very loud up until the first goal. I couldn't hear our chants, or tell which manager knows "exactly what we need". Its makes a real difference being a division above in terms of how many fans teams will typically bring. Overall they seemed a good bunch, but I am sad to report a lady in front of me was hit by a 20p coin in the back, just after we got the free kick that resulted in the goal. I didn't know what had happened, I heard a coin fall on floor and thought it fell out her pocket, and luckily she wasnt hurt, but everytime I see this in modern football I just think really?

Overall, not sure I would sit here again. Love being close but lack of facilities and access abit of a bummer. Would also dread to think what would be showered down on us by some of the clubs fans with worse reputations than Stoke.

View from my seat on 11:05 - Aug 14 with 4114 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Shocking about the 20p - just such a pathetic, cowardly act.

To add to the thread, I sit in NSL block 5 and have done for about 100 years. Great for atmosphere, great view (almost in line with the crossbar) and can usually hear away fans singing - although didn't notice any from Stoke to speak of.

Facilities are fairly crap although I rarely use them. Having said that, went in the gents before kick off and there was a new, very fast hand drier!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

View from my seat on 11:20 - Aug 14 with 3981 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Have always sat in SAR Lower, moved from block 5 to block 6 this year and further up the stand in row M, rather than row E (which was a gamble as to whether or not you were getting wet).

Facilities aren't great, but then they never have been. Paid £18 for two sh^t hotdogs and two bottles of pop for me and the lad. The bar had a new kid on it that couldn't pour a pint of San Miguel without putting a 50% head on it, so I gave that a swerve.

Not his fault, but you would have imagined that he would have been given all the training before the first game, not during.

View was ok, but you had to stand to see anything at the corner flag by the tunnel.

Atmosphere was much better than Block 5. I was a little concerned by moving closer to the away fans, but the banter pre-match and up to the first goal was great.

Only negative was that we had 3 seats next to us that clearly hadn't been sold as season tickets. One minute before kick off four lads turned up and tried to sit in the seats before one was stopped by a steward and sent to the seat on his ticket, upstairs. After half time, all four showed up again and sat in the three seats, which made for an uncomfortable half. I've no doubt, had we been late to our seats for any reason, we'd have been turfing them out.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

View from my seat on 11:31 - Aug 14 with 3904 viewsJrm_72

View from my seat on 11:20 - Aug 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Have always sat in SAR Lower, moved from block 5 to block 6 this year and further up the stand in row M, rather than row E (which was a gamble as to whether or not you were getting wet).

Facilities aren't great, but then they never have been. Paid £18 for two sh^t hotdogs and two bottles of pop for me and the lad. The bar had a new kid on it that couldn't pour a pint of San Miguel without putting a 50% head on it, so I gave that a swerve.

Not his fault, but you would have imagined that he would have been given all the training before the first game, not during.

View was ok, but you had to stand to see anything at the corner flag by the tunnel.

Atmosphere was much better than Block 5. I was a little concerned by moving closer to the away fans, but the banter pre-match and up to the first goal was great.

Only negative was that we had 3 seats next to us that clearly hadn't been sold as season tickets. One minute before kick off four lads turned up and tried to sit in the seats before one was stopped by a steward and sent to the seat on his ticket, upstairs. After half time, all four showed up again and sat in the three seats, which made for an uncomfortable half. I've no doubt, had we been late to our seats for any reason, we'd have been turfing them out.

I had issues with very young new staff not having a clue. Mine seemed scared for her life, didn't feel like the job for her at all, but we all got earn a living somehow I guess.
View from my seat on 11:45 - Aug 14 with 3829 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I have sat in lower north for years, always loud, fun, no issues with anything apart from the end of last season when a few older fans decided to get a bit OTT with younger ones wanting to celebrate promotion, as if the EFL were going to strip us of promotion as a result... aside from that, it's been great for years.
View from my seat on 11:55 - Aug 14 with 3768 viewstextbackup

View from my seat on 11:05 - Aug 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

To add to the thread, I sit in NSL block 5 and have done for about 100 years. Great for atmosphere, great view (almost in line with the crossbar) and can usually hear away fans singing - although didn't notice any from Stoke to speak of.

Facilities are fairly crap although I rarely use them. Having said that, went in the gents before kick off and there was a new, very fast hand drier!

You say about the Stoke chanting, at one point I joined in (with what I thought was ‘oh when the town go marching in) turns out it was them singing it!

I’m upper north, pioneer side. The sound travels pretty well from upper cobbold from there

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

View from my seat on 12:01 - Aug 14 with 3738 viewsblueasfook

Agree about facilities in that stand. Not nearly enough to get everyone served, toileted and back in your seat in time for second half. Especially with full crowds now. Unless you want to miss the last 5 or 10 mins of the first half you have no chance of getting a beer/pie/piss done in 15 mins

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

View from my seat on 12:08 - Aug 14 with 3684 viewsReuser_is_God

View from my seat on 11:05 - Aug 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

You like that view? I found it horrendous when I sat around there.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

View from my seat on 12:14 - Aug 14 with 3641 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

View from my seat on 12:08 - Aug 14 by Reuser_is_God

You like that view? I found it horrendous when I sat around there.

Well I've been there 25-30 years, so yes, it's great. What's "horrendous" about it? View of the whole pitch but still feel close to the action (at our end anyway) always loved being behind a goal, what's not to like?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

View from my seat on 13:22 - Aug 14 with 3436 viewsChurchman

My seat is lower West stand (Magnus, Pioneer, Co-op etc) block GG, very close to where my dad and I had season tickets during Lyall’s time. It’s absolutely fine - I like being close to the pitch and tbh when I bought it there was limited availability and a limit to what I wanted to pay. The bloke next to me gave the Lino and Ref dogs abuse, but they deserved it😃, but luckily the people around are not moaners. They seem a good lot.

Unlike the middle section of Pioneer where I once got a moan up from the people around for waving off an oppo player who’d been red carded. ‘We don’t behave like that here’’this isn’t the North Stand’. I also got into bother over celebrating and for making too much noise and disturbing two old crones’ knitting discussion. I of course told them to do one and a discussion with the stewards (poor s0ds) followed. Just the one season there!

The bar was a bit queued but not too bad. The fanzone helped. The toilets? Not great but at least the taps had water coming out of them. Because of the old training pitch there’s plenty of space behind the stand and somewhere to walk at HT.

I’ve sat and stood all over the ground. That includes a lot of seasons in Churchmans/ lower Churchmans (hence the user name), but also West and East stands. My best memories though are old North Stand.

I did sit in the Cobbold Stand a few years ago in the upper section for the odd game and found the view good, but seating (knees against the seat in front at 5ft 9.5ins?), access, facilities poor. It’s nobody’s fault. It’s 52 years old! And seemed so modern when first built!

The ground is old and suffers accordingly. The owners are trying to move it forward after decades of neglect. There’s so much to do but they know that and they’re working at it. It’s all good.

The atmosphere was great on Saturday. Really intense and the noise loud. I really enjoyed it and I think the players did too.
View from my seat on 17:29 - Aug 14 with 3154 viewsSitfcB

View from my seat on 11:20 - Aug 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

I can’t believe those hot dogs are £6.15 or whatever they are, not even rollover, some Aldi rolls. Didn’t notice the price of them until I went back to get a drink, I just paid for a pie and hot dog not thinking the hot dog was more expensive, sorry looking thing.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

View from my seat on 19:25 - Aug 14 with 2917 viewshoppy

Might be good for a few to add their view to this site...

https://aviewfrommyseat.co.uk/venue/portman+road/seating/all/

I've found it quite useful at times - particularly for theatre, but away grounds sometimes too.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 19:25]

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

View from my seat on 19:27 - Aug 14 with 2907 viewshoppy

View from my seat on 13:22 - Aug 14 by Churchman

My seat is lower West stand (Magnus, Pioneer, Co-op etc) block GG, very close to where my dad and I had season tickets during Lyall’s time. It’s absolutely fine - I like being close to the pitch and tbh when I bought it there was limited availability and a limit to what I wanted to pay. The bloke next to me gave the Lino and Ref dogs abuse, but they deserved it😃, but luckily the people around are not moaners. They seem a good lot.

Unlike the middle section of Pioneer where I once got a moan up from the people around for waving off an oppo player who’d been red carded. ‘We don’t behave like that here’’this isn’t the North Stand’. I also got into bother over celebrating and for making too much noise and disturbing two old crones’ knitting discussion. I of course told them to do one and a discussion with the stewards (poor s0ds) followed. Just the one season there!

The bar was a bit queued but not too bad. The fanzone helped. The toilets? Not great but at least the taps had water coming out of them. Because of the old training pitch there’s plenty of space behind the stand and somewhere to walk at HT.

I’ve sat and stood all over the ground. That includes a lot of seasons in Churchmans/ lower Churchmans (hence the user name), but also West and East stands. My best memories though are old North Stand.

I did sit in the Cobbold Stand a few years ago in the upper section for the odd game and found the view good, but seating (knees against the seat in front at 5ft 9.5ins?), access, facilities poor. It’s nobody’s fault. It’s 52 years old! And seemed so modern when first built!

The ground is old and suffers accordingly. The owners are trying to move it forward after decades of neglect. There’s so much to do but they know that and they’re working at it. It’s all good.

The atmosphere was great on Saturday. Really intense and the noise loud. I really enjoyed it and I think the players did too.

We also have our seats in Block GG - and enjoy the view from there, and seem to be some good people around us too.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

View from my seat on 19:48 - Aug 14 with 2844 viewsChurchman

View from my seat on 19:27 - Aug 14 by hoppy

We also have our seats in Block GG - and enjoy the view from there, and seem to be some good people around us too.

Excellent!! Clearly all the best people are in GG!

If you see a distinguished, tall, astonishingly good looking bloke with charisma, expensive clothing, style and a ready smile ……it won’t be me 👍🏻
View from my seat on 20:05 - Aug 14 with 2799 viewsArnieM

SBR lower section 5 view brilliant , noisy as f…. Access good, loos good.
Bottle of water £3.45 FFS!!!! Absolute rip off .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

View from my seat on 20:33 - Aug 14 with 2734 viewsDinDjarin

View from my seat on 19:48 - Aug 14 by Churchman

Excellent!! Clearly all the best people are in GG!

If you see a distinguished, tall, astonishingly good looking bloke with charisma, expensive clothing, style and a ready smile ……it won’t be me 👍🏻

Another GG here. Even though family section gets a bit rowdy sometimes and I like being able to hear McKenna on the side-lines. Sat there for a bout 4 or 5 seasons and before that season ticket in various seats here there and everywhere.
View from my seat on 20:42 - Aug 14 with 2710 viewsbazza

View from my seat on 20:05 - Aug 14 by ArnieM

SBR lower section 5 view brilliant , noisy as f…. Access good, loos good.
Bottle of water £3.45 FFS!!!! Absolute rip off .

You deserve to be ripped off, for Buying water on a match day !!
View from my seat on 20:44 - Aug 14 with 2708 viewsChurchman

View from my seat on 20:33 - Aug 14 by DinDjarin

Another GG here. Even though family section gets a bit rowdy sometimes and I like being able to hear McKenna on the side-lines. Sat there for a bout 4 or 5 seasons and before that season ticket in various seats here there and everywhere.

Clearly the quality section of the ground! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
View from my seat on 20:53 - Aug 14 with 2673 viewsunstableblue

Good idea for a thread Jrm.

Block I middle tier of Pioneer/West/Magnus for me. But when not a season ticket holder would tend to North Upper, Lower or Cobbold Upper Block B

Entrance - the middle tier of the Pioneer are small blocks so quite good access. But obvs rows are tight to move along. Queues to get into the Pioneer are longish but manageable, not as bad as North Stand. Getting into Pioneer from the fan zone is a bonus when you are in there, but that queue on the practice pitch is increasing, due to fan zone popularity.

Facilities - being able to access the practice pitch and all the lower bars (there are many) is a bonus of the lower two tiers of the Pioneer. BUT now the crowds are so large the queues are a bit mental. If you stay to the end of a half, you'll queue for all of halftime... then its necking pints time. Toiler queues are OKish.

View - I think its good. Great to get a view of the warm-up and across the lower North. Farily good view of dug-outs. And you get a good view of the game, you lose some perspective in the Churchmans penalty area.

Seat and atmos - the seats in the pioneer and the spacing is really dated.. too tight. Not as bad as Cobbold. But when you go in the North you realise the difference. The atmos is actually good at that end of the Pioneer middle tier.. you get hte noise of the Lower North and people are quite vocal around and the back row is standing up as the boxes are incomplete. Atmos is decent, if not great.

Stoke Fans - they were quiet. You do hear the away fans in our area, but its the louder teams.

Overall happy... who wouldn't be with the champagne football we're watching!?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

View from my seat on 08:21 - Aug 15 with 2307 viewsLeaky

Have a seat in SBR lower section 5, have been in the same seat since the stand was built. Keep thinking every season about moving further back as being behind the goal the cross bar is a pain in the "arris". However great crowd around us wouldn't swap now. Facilities are ok food prices seem a tad high however I'm not at PR for a fine dinning experience.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 10:16]
View from my seat on 08:35 - Aug 15 with 2256 viewsElephantintheRoom

I always preferred the east stand somewhere in the middle. On the basis that seats on terracing were terrible and the east stand had a proper angle of view, unlike the revamped west stand which often offered you a pillar to look at as well as the back of peoples’ heads craning to get a proper view themselves.

One thing that intrigued me, which might not be the case any more is that visually-impaired supporters had to go right to the back of the stand and clamber over bits of steel supports to reach their seats.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

View from my seat on 09:22 - Aug 15 with 2189 viewsrealprojection

Was excited to check out my new season ticket seat for the first time on Saturday. Being high up in SAR3 it gives a good view of the pitch and the legroom is much better than seats in the West or Cobbold stands. Very similar to the away end view at Sunderland last week. Living in York, it's the first time I've had a season ticket since the irrational excitement of Keane's first season. By the time I decided to get one, after being seduced by Mark Ashton's buy now while stocks last sales pitch, there weren't too many good options for 3 seats together available. I was slightly wary about SAR, having not sat there since the 2001 season when the North stand was being rebuilt. But the atmosphere was OK, there was some singing - mostly following what was coming from the SBR stand. However, I wonder if extending the pitch has worsened the sightlines to the goal at the SAR end. I often needed to crane my neck or swerve past heads to fully view the goal posts, especially when people were walking down the aisle before the end of the match. Strangely didn't hear much from the Stoke fans, given they were so close. But the view of them (and sound?) is obscured by Cobbold stand roof. A couple of drawbacks of the seat's position are I can't see the screen and can't see what Blue Action are up to in Block A. But overall good view, comfortable seat and decent atmosphere. Can't comment on the facilities as haven't used them yet.

Blog: Desperate Data – the Extreme Numbers That Defined Ipswich Town’s Dismal Season

View from my seat on 10:13 - Aug 15 with 2097 viewsStewart27

View from my seat on 12:14 - Aug 14 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well I've been there 25-30 years, so yes, it's great. What's "horrendous" about it? View of the whole pitch but still feel close to the action (at our end anyway) always loved being behind a goal, what's not to like?

Each to their own. I find the view from behind the goal awful. Probably why the press, directors and management team don’t use it as a vantage point! But the north stand is great for the atmosphere. I’ve always hated the SAR because of the view and the fact you’re near the away fans.

Like I say - each to their own.
View from my seat on 10:16 - Aug 15 with 2084 viewsStewart27

I used to sit in FF when I started going as a kid. Great memories!

I couldn’t think of a worse block than T. Right under the away fans in that corner. All of the facilities in the Cobbold are old and tired.

Are you serious about getting a pint in Old Trafford for £3? Nowadays in 2023?
View from my seat on 10:20 - Aug 15 with 2056 viewsCheltenham_Blue

View from my seat on 10:13 - Aug 15 by Stewart27

Each to their own. I find the view from behind the goal awful. Probably why the press, directors and management team don’t use it as a vantage point! But the north stand is great for the atmosphere. I’ve always hated the SAR because of the view and the fact you’re near the away fans.

Like I say - each to their own.

I quite enjoyed being nearer to the away fans. There's plenty of singing in the SAR, mainly in response to the away fans but that kind of 'battle' in chanting is what football is all about isn't it?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

View from my seat on 10:21 - Aug 15 with 2057 viewsStewart27

Block J. My happy place. I’ve sat in pretty much every block.

Great view of SBR goal. Ok view of SAR (better than from the view from the SBR stand where I used to sit). Atmosphere from the north stand and block A with a decent view of the pitch. Straight in from the Fan Zone pre game.

Lovely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024