Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong 10:27 - Aug 6 with 10051 viewsle2blue

Though Southampton have decided to keep him.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:20 - Aug 6 with 1836 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:14 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

Let’s say you’re right about that. So when did all those players mentioned sign contracts for us? We’ll get there Frimmers come on I have faith in you.

Your list or mine?

I agree there's a mix of ages on your list.. but that's before the recruitment team and direction was even set up. Please we had a summer where we lost 19 players with 0 recruitment team in place so not surprising we got anyone we could.

Since then. We've shown a clear direction of what players we are happy to pay money for. And they are players with years ahead of them, higher league potential and potential to make money on.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:21 - Aug 6 with 1835 viewspointofblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:14 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

Armstrong is proven at this level and Saints signed him in the Prem for £15m just 2 years ago. He's not had a brilliant time there goal scoring wise but that's in a top flight side that have struggled generally over that period of time. Simms has had half a season on loan in the Championship where he did well. If we've got £8m to spend on one player (which I doubt we do to be honest) then for me it's easy to see why we'd stretch for that for Armstrong but not for Simms.

Simms also impressed for Everton, all things considered, on his return. They were little better for the most part than Southampton last year.

As you said, I don't think we'll spend £8m on any player, even in installments or with the majority of the fee based on conditions. I just think age, decent Premier League performances last season and a more recent successful spell in the Championship may tilt things in Simms' favour, fee wise. As an aside, I don't think I would value either of them as much as that, but then I may be stuck in yesteryear when it comes to transfer fees!

If we do get Armstrong, I will be delighted. Shocked, but delighted.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:24 - Aug 6 with 1821 viewsHerbivore

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:21 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

Simms also impressed for Everton, all things considered, on his return. They were little better for the most part than Southampton last year.

As you said, I don't think we'll spend £8m on any player, even in installments or with the majority of the fee based on conditions. I just think age, decent Premier League performances last season and a more recent successful spell in the Championship may tilt things in Simms' favour, fee wise. As an aside, I don't think I would value either of them as much as that, but then I may be stuck in yesteryear when it comes to transfer fees!

If we do get Armstrong, I will be delighted. Shocked, but delighted.

Did Simms impress at Everton? He largely made cameos from the bench and got one goal. I think it's a stretch to say he impressed, if he'd genuinely impressed they'd have kept him around given his age and their lack of attacking talent. I thought Simms at around £3m plus add ons would have been about right. Armstrong, I can see why the touted fee is higher given his more proven pedigree. As you say though, I'd be very, very surprised if it happened so it's all moot really.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 15:31]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:24 - Aug 6 with 1815 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:20 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Your list or mine?

I agree there's a mix of ages on your list.. but that's before the recruitment team and direction was even set up. Please we had a summer where we lost 19 players with 0 recruitment team in place so not surprising we got anyone we could.

Since then. We've shown a clear direction of what players we are happy to pay money for. And they are players with years ahead of them, higher league potential and potential to make money on.

But Frimmers those are the players who cost money *anyway*. And all of those players I mentioned apart from Samy signed contracts for us under this fabled recruitment team.
We don’t sign players on the basis of what they may be worth. No club does. Future worth is a happy by product of success (and a tax wheeze potentially but that’s another story) not an aim. We bought Leif to improve the team not because he may be worth 8m in two years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:29 - Aug 6 with 1787 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:24 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

But Frimmers those are the players who cost money *anyway*. And all of those players I mentioned apart from Samy signed contracts for us under this fabled recruitment team.
We don’t sign players on the basis of what they may be worth. No club does. Future worth is a happy by product of success (and a tax wheeze potentially but that’s another story) not an aim. We bought Leif to improve the team not because he may be worth 8m in two years.

No

But we spent 1.5 on him because of what he could become which in turn would bring in a return on that expenditure. Like he did with Webster at City.

We could have however stuck with leigh who tbh probably could have played the lb role all season and helped us to promotion. But davis has a higher ceiling.

I get exactly where you're coming from. And I agree the first thing you're not looking at is what will they get me in £ in 3 years. But imo there needs to be an opportunity for a financial return on our incomings over bringing in those players who could do a job but you can't sell on for a sizeable fee.

So if you're looking at a 24 year or 28 year old. Imo we would be looking at the 24.

Waka waka eh eh

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:36 - Aug 6 with 1758 viewspointofblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:24 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

Did Simms impress at Everton? He largely made cameos from the bench and got one goal. I think it's a stretch to say he impressed, if he'd genuinely impressed they'd have kept him around given his age and their lack of attacking talent. I thought Simms at around £3m plus add ons would have been about right. Armstrong, I can see why the touted fee is higher given his more proven pedigree. As you say though, I'd be very, very surprised if it happened so it's all moot really.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 15:31]

Transfermarkt has Simms valued at 4m and Armstrong at 10m so there we go. I'm wrong.

Saying that, I think Simms was seen as a promising prospect at Everton but staying up cost him, as they want more experienced strikers. And obviously he did have a good spell at Sunderland last year.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:55 - Aug 6 with 1711 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:05 - Aug 6 by Keno

I can dream

You're no Usain Bolt!

Poll: would you rather

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 16:23 - Aug 6 with 1665 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:33 - Aug 6 by Keno

As likely as me spending the night with Lily James, Jenna Coleman and the English womans netball team

“Again”

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Login to get fewer ads

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 09:46 - Aug 7 with 1496 viewsPhilTWTD

Hadn't spotted this as I was on the road yesterday but told it's not the case.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 09:48 - Aug 7 with 1477 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 09:46 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Hadn't spotted this as I was on the road yesterday but told it's not the case.

What about scarlett Phil. On the list?

Waka waka eh eh

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:07 - Aug 7 with 1408 viewscommuterblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:52 - Aug 6 by Wacko

I don't understand Ashton's comments. Newly relegated clubs have already sold players... one of them to us!

I presume he means first teamers last season

Blog: Harry Was Right (Potter, Not the One From Bath). The Only Thing We Should Fear is Fear Itself

He only calls himself "Scarlett Phil".... on 10:09 - Aug 7 with 1393 viewsBloots

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 09:48 - Aug 7 by FrimleyBlue

....at the weekends.

When he's performing.

At the Pink Pussycat Club.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

He only calls himself "Scarlett Phil".... on 10:10 - Aug 7 with 1379 viewsFrimleyBlue

He only calls himself "Scarlett Phil".... on 10:09 - Aug 7 by Bloots

....at the weekends.

When he's performing.

At the Pink Pussycat Club.

Good to see you're using your 'buy a gift' :)

Waka waka eh eh

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 16:15 - Aug 7 with 1224 viewsCityBlue

Agents know that we were willing to flash the cash for Ellis and/or Trusty and came back with neither. They will figure we have up to £8m burning a whole in our pocket and one of the few clubs with salary space to potentially make the move.
From what I saw of Armstrong on Friday he was a handful when he came on.

I T I D

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 16:17 - Aug 7 with 1208 viewsCrockerITFC

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:36 - Aug 6 by phillymark

Genuinely looks like George Hirst's barnet
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 16:33 - Aug 7 with 1144 viewsJon_456

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 16:15 - Aug 7 by CityBlue

Agents know that we were willing to flash the cash for Ellis and/or Trusty and came back with neither. They will figure we have up to £8m burning a whole in our pocket and one of the few clubs with salary space to potentially make the move.
From what I saw of Armstrong on Friday he was a handful when he came on.

Don’t know what game you were watching but Armstrong started. And scored in only the 8th min..
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 17:26 - Aug 7 with 1037 viewsPhilTWTD

He was in January, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was interest in him now.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 17:27 - Aug 7 with 1022 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Surely.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 17:27 - Aug 7 with 1005 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 17:26 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Ooo. I'd love to get him. Different option. Great for the new extra 15 minutes of injury time games.

Waka waka eh eh

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 17:53 - Aug 7 with 927 viewsKropotkin123

8m?

Okay there.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 19:13 - Aug 7 with 796 viewschenners17

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 17:26 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

What about the news of palace allowing rak sakyi to leave on loan finally….

Will that potentially be something town go back to considering we have wanted him since January?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024