Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong 10:27 - Aug 6 with 10048 viewsle2blue

Though Southampton have decided to keep him.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:32 - Aug 6 with 2057 viewsStokieBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:29 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

Thanks. If we thought that was too much for Simms then surely the internal thinking is £8m is approaching ridiculous for Armstrong. Unless it’s £1m upfront and £7m on promotion to the top tier!

We won't be buying Armstrong but the comparison to Simms is weird, it's not really an equivalence.

One is a young striker who has scored a couple in half a season in this division. The other scored 29 goals in his last season in this division in fairly average Blackburn side, was sold for 15m and is still only 26.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:41 - Aug 6 with 2008 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:29 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

Thanks. If we thought that was too much for Simms then surely the internal thinking is £8m is approaching ridiculous for Armstrong. Unless it’s £1m upfront and £7m on promotion to the top tier!

They’re completely different players.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:46 - Aug 6 with 1965 viewspointofblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:32 - Aug 6 by StokieBlue

We won't be buying Armstrong but the comparison to Simms is weird, it's not really an equivalence.

One is a young striker who has scored a couple in half a season in this division. The other scored 29 goals in his last season in this division in fairly average Blackburn side, was sold for 15m and is still only 26.

SB

I’m thinking Simms’ performances for Everton and younger age would have driven his market price up to at least match Armstrong’s - especially considering Armstrong’s record at Southampton.

Simms scored seven goals in 14 starts and 3 sub appearances for Sunderland.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:51 - Aug 6 with 1951 viewsronnyd

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:55 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

The relegated clubs still have players in their squads that you'd expect to end up in the Prem by the end of the window. That movement will then free up other deals to take place.

Yes, i can't see players such as Ward-Prowse staying for a season in the Champ.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:57 - Aug 6 with 1909 viewsITFCBlues

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:22 - Aug 6 by Kieran_Knows

Oh shut up.

Agreed. Such a lazy view to have when just this last week he was the one that said Walton would be out for weeks.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 12:09 - Aug 6 with 1852 viewsBlueBadger

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:57 - Aug 6 by ITFCBlues

Agreed. Such a lazy view to have when just this last week he was the one that said Walton would be out for weeks.

...after the club released a series of press statements saying similar.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 12:18 - Aug 6 with 1817 viewsSitfcB

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 12:09 - Aug 6 by BlueBadger

‘The club’ said last week that he’d be fine for today…

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 13:08 - Aug 6 with 1674 viewspointofblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 11:41 - Aug 6 by PrideOfTheEast

They’re completely different players.

If we do sign another striker, we'll be looking for them to lead the line, hold up the ball and score. Maybe we think Armstrong will be a better fit than Simms, but that doesn't mean his market value will be the same or higher.

Armstrong is older and has been struggling for game time over the past few seasons. He did have two good years in 19/20 and 20/21 before his move to Southampton. He did look bright for the Saimts on Friday, and I wouldn't be adverse to signing him, but unless it's under £2m to start with with a load of adds on, then £8m seems steep for him.

Simms' age, arguably greater sell on potential, and promising performances for a dreadful Everton side, upped his fee when it came to market value.

Login to get fewer ads

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:08 - Aug 6 with 1546 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 13:08 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

If we do sign another striker, we'll be looking for them to lead the line, hold up the ball and score. Maybe we think Armstrong will be a better fit than Simms, but that doesn't mean his market value will be the same or higher.

Armstrong is older and has been struggling for game time over the past few seasons. He did have two good years in 19/20 and 20/21 before his move to Southampton. He did look bright for the Saimts on Friday, and I wouldn't be adverse to signing him, but unless it's under £2m to start with with a load of adds on, then £8m seems steep for him.

Simms' age, arguably greater sell on potential, and promising performances for a dreadful Everton side, upped his fee when it came to market value.

Hilarious. Genuinely
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:41 - Aug 6 with 1461 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:34 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

I can't imagine a world in which we'd pay £8m for Adam Armstrong and cover his PL wages.

Southampton have always seemed fairly sensible so he has probably had his wages halved. Be an amazing singing if we can make it happen. We’ve been after him for ages.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:47 - Aug 6 with 1430 viewschicoazul

Why do so many posters think we sign players because of their sell on potential? We don’t. We sign players to improve the squad or the team, not because of what they may be worth in two years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:50 - Aug 6 with 1416 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:47 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

Why do so many posters think we sign players because of their sell on potential? We don’t. We sign players to improve the squad or the team, not because of what they may be worth in two years.

Prob coz apart from luongo. Every permanent signing has been a player with potential to develop in a way that will bring money to the club in the future.

If that wasn't the thought process then we'd be signing 28/29 year old experienced players to get us up.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:52 - Aug 6 with 1400 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:50 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Prob coz apart from luongo. Every permanent signing has been a player with potential to develop in a way that will bring money to the club in the future.

If that wasn't the thought process then we'd be signing 28/29 year old experienced players to get us up.

Like Keogh Morsy Luongo Aluko and Ladapo?
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 14:53]

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:55 - Aug 6 with 1392 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:52 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

Like Keogh Morsy Luongo Aluko and Ladapo?
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 14:53]

Since we got the recruitment team set up yeah

I did also say apart from luongo.

Broadhead
Hirst
Clarke
Taylor
Hutchinson ( pretending it's a loan to buy )
Slicker
5 x academy players

Waka waka eh eh

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:58 - Aug 6 with 1378 viewspointofblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:47 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

Because I think, due to FFP restrictions, that's how we'll compete in the transfer market, long term, in the Championship.

Naturally these players will also improve the squad or the team, but there will be a hope we can, in the future, sell for a profit - and I feel that's more the case now then it was with Evans, where they seemed to be no long term plan whatsoever.

For a potential £8m I can see why we would invest in Simms. Due to being older, and having a barren spell, albeit in the top division, I have doubts about Armstrong at that fee.

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:01 - Aug 6 with 1368 viewsNeedhamChris

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 12:09 - Aug 6 by BlueBadger

I mean, that's just nonsense isn't it. Fine not to like him but a bit bitter and twisted to deny reality just to have a moan.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:02 - Aug 6 with 1358 viewsNaylorsrightboot

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 10:52 - Aug 6 by Wacko

I don't understand Ashton's comments. Newly relegated clubs have already sold players... one of them to us!

His comments are basically to cover his @rse because those 2-3 players that were well down the line haven't happened that he said were almost there.
Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:07 - Aug 6 with 1334 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:55 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Since we got the recruitment team set up yeah

I did also say apart from luongo.

Broadhead
Hirst
Clarke
Taylor
Hutchinson ( pretending it's a loan to buy )
Slicker
5 x academy players

Interesting caveat but we have had a recruitment team since Ashton arrived.

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:08 - Aug 6 with 1317 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 14:58 - Aug 6 by pointofblue

Because I think, due to FFP restrictions, that's how we'll compete in the transfer market, long term, in the Championship.

Naturally these players will also improve the squad or the team, but there will be a hope we can, in the future, sell for a profit - and I feel that's more the case now then it was with Evans, where they seemed to be no long term plan whatsoever.

For a potential £8m I can see why we would invest in Simms. Due to being older, and having a barren spell, albeit in the top division, I have doubts about Armstrong at that fee.

I believe you’re wrong on all counts apart from the Evans bit.

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:09 - Aug 6 with 1313 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:07 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

Not really
Think is was 6 months after we were linked with Scott barron to come in an head up a recruitment team.. don't think that even came off. Last summer we recruited some analysts etc and some people into the recruitment team which worked its magic with the Jan signings.

Morsy etc was the book of Cook.

Waka waka eh eh

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:11 - Aug 6 with 1297 viewspointofblue

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:02 - Aug 6 by Naylorsrightboot

His comments are basically to cover his @rse because those 2-3 players that were well down the line haven't happened that he said were almost there.

Fair enough, McNally was probably one. But we don't know who the second one is; to my knowledge there haven't been any ITK posts about any other player bar Kongolo, who I assumed we moved onto after the McNally deal fell through?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:14 - Aug 6 with 1268 viewsHerbivore

Armstrong is proven at this level and Saints signed him in the Prem for £15m just 2 years ago. He's not had a brilliant time there goal scoring wise but that's in a top flight side that have struggled generally over that period of time. Simms has had half a season on loan in the Championship where he did well. If we've got £8m to spend on one player (which I doubt we do to be honest) then for me it's easy to see why we'd stretch for that for Armstrong but not for Simms.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:14 - Aug 6 with 1262 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:09 - Aug 6 by FrimleyBlue

Not really
Think is was 6 months after we were linked with Scott barron to come in an head up a recruitment team.. don't think that even came off. Last summer we recruited some analysts etc and some people into the recruitment team which worked its magic with the Jan signings.

Morsy etc was the book of Cook.

Let’s say you’re right about that. So when did all those players mentioned sign contracts for us? We’ll get there Frimmers come on I have faith in you.

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:17 - Aug 6 with 1248 viewsKieran_Knows

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:07 - Aug 6 by chicoazul

Well, what I do know is that Cook wanted to recruit a load of analysts and scouts from Wigan, which he didn’t get.

I presume that was on the basis Ashton wanted to get his own people in!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:18 - Aug 6 with 1237 viewschicoazul

Nixon still thinks we’re after Adam Armstrong on 15:17 - Aug 6 by Kieran_Knows

Well, what I do know is that Cook wanted to recruit a load of analysts and scouts from Wigan, which he didn’t get.

I presume that was on the basis Ashton wanted to get his own people in!

Scousers he met in a pub in Wirral in other words haha!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024