Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s a good result on Sunday? 07:20 - Aug 4 with 2452 viewsonceablue

I would love a 2-0 win but I would also be happy with a 2-2 draw

I think it is important for us to score

A draw and then a home win against Stoke would be a great start

Heard from a reliable source Walton is definitely out but Broadhead is fine
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 07:34 - Aug 4 with 2083 viewsHelp

Not to have lost
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:03 - Aug 4 with 2034 viewsghostofescobar

A good result would be a win. I would take a draw all day long though. I think this season will be a lot tougher than some on here imagine. I'd be very happy with a respectable mid table finish, then push on.

GhostOfEscobar

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:14 - Aug 4 with 2024 viewsGuthrum

A win of any sort would be a good result.

A draw would be ok (on the win-at-home-draw-away principle). A loss may be disastrous, not so much for the team or our prospects in the Championship, but the incredibly fragile fan morale may suffer a collapse into terror, followed by violent infighting and recriminations. Tho if it comes down to a dubious refereeing decision, it might save us from that via united outrage.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:17 - Aug 4 with 2012 viewsSomethingBlue

A draw away against a play-off team from last season would be an excellent start.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:27 - Aug 4 with 1966 viewsMetal_Hacker

Considering Sunderland's season last year I'll gladly accept a draw as a good result. A win would be amazing and I dread to think what a defeat would mean around this place to be fair

Poll: If it were one or the other

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:29 - Aug 4 with 1954 viewsnorth_stand77

I'd be happy for any kind of draw.
A win would be a great result to kick off season but I think it will be a tough game away in front of a noisy home crowd
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:35 - Aug 4 with 1918 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

More than happy for a draw - think there will be goals.

What a way to start the season at the Championships biggest ground with 40k+ fans and two ambitious teams. Good bye Fleetwood away and 98 minutes of sh1thousing!
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:40 - Aug 4 with 1886 viewsdirtyboy

A good result is a draw.

An amazing result is a win.

A loss is, kind of something i'd expect.

Much like we'd expect to win home games, Sunderland most definitely will be expecting to win theirs, so let's not beat about the bush...away games in this league are very tough. Just look at the results last year.

What I want to see is a good performance, because then, everything else follows, just perhaps not in a linear fashion.

Getting dicked, being all over the place, not looking like we can defend or score is when you worry.
Login to get fewer ads

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:44 - Aug 4 with 1868 viewsLower_North

2-2
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:55 - Aug 4 with 1826 viewsBobsthename

As people say a draw would be good but i think Sunderland will edge us out 2-1 🙁
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:57 - Aug 4 with 1816 viewsVic

A win would be a GREAT result

I’d take a draw as a GOOD result

A loss would be a shame, but not a major surprise or disaster.

This game is a great marker for us to start with. Sunderland came up last year, were in the PO’s and have strengthened since. Playing them will give us a good initial sense of where we are at.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 8:58]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:59 - Aug 4 with 1793 viewsRozz

Looking forward to a big test. I think our strength is in continuity so we might surprise a few people early on in the season before most sides settle.

2-2.
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:59 - Aug 4 with 1792 viewsHighgateBlue

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:14 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

A win of any sort would be a good result.

A draw would be ok (on the win-at-home-draw-away principle). A loss may be disastrous, not so much for the team or our prospects in the Championship, but the incredibly fragile fan morale may suffer a collapse into terror, followed by violent infighting and recriminations. Tho if it comes down to a dubious refereeing decision, it might save us from that via united outrage.

I'm gonna maintain some optimism, yes for the result, but I mainly mean in terms of the fan reaction. KMac, Ashton and Gamechanger have done enough to earn our trust.

A loss in the first game of the season away from home in front of a huge partisan crowd, playing a team who made the playoffs last season, in a division which is new for our team, having picked up a couple of injuries, and with the transfer window still open, is really not the end of the world. Especially given that unlike last year promotion is more an ambitious desire than an expectation. Unless it's a huge loss, which there's no real reason to expect, I think things on here will not be too bad. When certain individuals are overly glum or panicky, I think it's the daftness of their position that generates so many column inches, rather than the number of said pessimists.

If we do get off to a poor start, I think a swift early poll will be in order, to show the fans that most of us are realists and not panickers. I think such a poll would put the majority in the "it's a shame we've got off to a poor start, but we trust KMac and we're ultimately going to be OK, Rome wasn't built in a day, and at least we play entertaining football" camp.

Having said all that, the evidence does not suggest that we should fear Sunderland, or that we should expect to lose. Three games last season against Championship teams suggest that we're better than the Rotherhams of this world, but not quite up to the standard of the league winners. And those games were before the January strengthening had done its thing. Much to be positive about. Let's see...
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 09:00 - Aug 4 with 1789 viewsAsa

One of the best teams in the division, in all likeliness, away from home in what's no doubt the biggest crowd we will play in front of in the league this season.

Even if we had a season like last year (which obviously won't happen) and you were told we'd only lose four games, this would be one of the most likely ones to lose, even before a few injuries.

On that basis a draw would be a fantastic result. A win would be an incredible start.
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 09:07 - Aug 4 with 1768 viewsWallingford_Boy

A draw and then a draw against highly fancied Stoke would also be a good result.

RIP Sir Bobby

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 09:22 - Aug 4 with 1719 viewsGuthrum

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 08:59 - Aug 4 by HighgateBlue

I'm gonna maintain some optimism, yes for the result, but I mainly mean in terms of the fan reaction. KMac, Ashton and Gamechanger have done enough to earn our trust.

A loss in the first game of the season away from home in front of a huge partisan crowd, playing a team who made the playoffs last season, in a division which is new for our team, having picked up a couple of injuries, and with the transfer window still open, is really not the end of the world. Especially given that unlike last year promotion is more an ambitious desire than an expectation. Unless it's a huge loss, which there's no real reason to expect, I think things on here will not be too bad. When certain individuals are overly glum or panicky, I think it's the daftness of their position that generates so many column inches, rather than the number of said pessimists.

If we do get off to a poor start, I think a swift early poll will be in order, to show the fans that most of us are realists and not panickers. I think such a poll would put the majority in the "it's a shame we've got off to a poor start, but we trust KMac and we're ultimately going to be OK, Rome wasn't built in a day, and at least we play entertaining football" camp.

Having said all that, the evidence does not suggest that we should fear Sunderland, or that we should expect to lose. Three games last season against Championship teams suggest that we're better than the Rotherhams of this world, but not quite up to the standard of the league winners. And those games were before the January strengthening had done its thing. Much to be positive about. Let's see...

I don't have so much faith in people's level-headedness, thinking back to the winter slump last season and the current general gloom over our prospects in the light of a so far unspectacular* transfer window. There will be several ready to shout "I told you so" and provoke arguments.

Cuts both ways, too. If we win handsomely, the fans will get all giddy-headed over possibilities of making the top six.

* Tho, in my view, quite good in terms of who we have managed to sign.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 10:56 - Aug 4 with 1571 viewsportmanroadblue

I am looking for a disciplined display and progress from last season, this league throws up so many surprise results and any team from 12/14th usually has a chance of top 6 with only a few games to go. If we can get a draw it will be a great result, a win would show we can compete in this league at the top end, but a loss is not the end of the world and we have a home game to put it right.........hopefully!!!
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 10:59 - Aug 4 with 1559 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It’s a great first game for us. On paper it’s one of the toughest away fixtures of the season so it’s the perfect time to play it when we’re still carrying momentum from last season. It’s a free hit, but like Morecambe had against us a couple of years back.

I’m confident we’ll get something from the game

Poll: Our final position

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 11:32 - Aug 4 with 1490 viewsOldFart71

I really don't know what to expect. My gut feeling is that it may take half a dozen games to adjust and I feel we need a few more signings and for those to fit in before we can tell where the season will go. accounting for that I'd go for two defeats, two wins and two draws in the first six games.
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 11:50 - Aug 4 with 1431 viewsBigCommon

Draw at SOL, is a decent result, if it's backed up with a solid performance, imo...
Any kind of win would be a great result, for me.
End of the day, it's a tough away game ticked off. Think team spirits will be high if we come home with something.
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 11:55 - Aug 4 with 1414 viewsI_LOVE_GOLLOB

I fancy it to be a very entertaining desmond. If there's no 2-2 draws prior to that game then i'll have a little flutter on it with Hirst to score anytime.

Poll: How would you kill a budgie?

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 12:03 - Aug 4 with 1386 viewsFrimleyBlue

Anything that isn't a loss by 3/4- goals.

Even if we lose. Lose but make it close. Don't want a big score negative after 1 game.

I'm going 1-1 however.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 12:05 - Aug 4 with 1388 viewsGavTWTD

There seems to be a really high number of predictions for 2-2 against Sunderland and that's what I've gone for too. A draw would be a good result against them too (too). A win would really set a marker about what we can achieve but a draw would be good.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

What’s a good result on Sunday? on 12:12 - Aug 4 with 1352 viewsburnbudgiesburn

A good result is taking at least a point from the game.

Performance /= result though.

We have a poor record at the SoL, but we were so unlucky not to come away with anything in the previous L1 meeting. We played well that day but didn't take our chances and lost to a Walton blunder and an unlucky decision for a penalty against Nsiala.

For me, i'll be looking at our long term prospects in the league. A loss would be a dissapointing result but if we can show in general play we can more than match the oppo and that our style can work in this division over 46 games that's the positive i'll cling to in that scenario.
What’s a good result on Sunday? on 12:21 - Aug 4 with 1302 viewsBloomBlue

In the old championship days, we always had a tendency to start the season with the first 3 games resulting in a win, draw & defeat - not always in that order. Therefore anything better than 4 points from the first three games is a positive.

Given how we ended last season confidence will be sky-high with the players, I'm going for a 2-1 Town win
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024