Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plan A transfer targets not going well 12:23 - Aug 2 with 8982 viewsIP1Blue

After January success of getting all our ‘Plan A’ transfer targets, it’s clear to see that it has definitely been a struggle since our promotion!

The 3 signings we have brought in so far have very limited championship experience so are all unknown quantities. Must be frustration for Ashton and Co with the season opener being less than a week away.

Whilst I’m glad we are refusing to pay over the offs for a player just because it’s perceived we have money, it is a little concerning that we haven’t brought in any real championship proven quality as a lot of us would have expected.

I do wonder however if the management team are using this season to see who will can stand up to the challenge and next summer will be when we see the most change where it will be more evident to see where the gaps are in the squad in terms of quality.
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:29 - Aug 2 with 5118 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I don't think signing plan B players is an option for us tbh. We are only looking to get better than what we have so are aiming high even if this means we miss out. That surely has to be the way? We could sign a ton of players if we wanted to.

I also feel a lot of people forget we have been recruiting championship quality whilst in L1. Our squad isn't stacked with L1 journeymen.
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:34 - Aug 2 with 5070 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Chaplin, Morsy, Clarke, Evans, Luongo, Hirst, Broadhead all have Championship experience.
Burns, Broadhead and Leigh are full internationals with Morsy on the fringes.

Luton went up last season having spent less than we have.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:51 - Aug 2 with 4956 viewsIP1Blue

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:34 - Aug 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

Chaplin, Morsy, Clarke, Evans, Luongo, Hirst, Broadhead all have Championship experience.

Yeah I agree that our squad isn’t filled with league one journeymen however I wouldn’t agree with it being filled up with real championship quality players.

Chaplin, Davis, Broadhead and Walton are the only ones I would say that are real championship quality.

Let’s not kid ourselves in saying that the rest of our squad is based off a league one promotion. I think the majority of our squad would’ve been considered average in terms of the championship.
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:58 - Aug 2 with 4874 viewsWestcountryblue

A lot of Premiership and Championship clubs are still assessing squads, returning from overseas tours, reviewing injury numbers, holding on to players while they work on securing their own targets first etc...

The jury is out and Ashton and Co this window, but i suspect we will see 2-3 players come through the door...perhaps in last part of the window, when clubs are more flexible in terms of letting unwanted assets leave...ala Chaplin, Morsy, Celina on that bonkers last day of the window a few seasons ago.

I do think the club and McKenna needs to continue to be 'relentless'. We can upgrade on Ball, Aluko, Jackson, Donacien and Evans. If we really want to compete, we should be signing players to genuinely challenge the likes of Morsy, Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead, Woolfie et al. Moving forward should be the name of the game.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2023 12:59]
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:05 - Aug 2 with 4823 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

So much negativity about. We were streets ahead of any team in League One. Our games against Rotherham and Burnley last season in the cup proved we are at least equal to any Championship team. I for one think we are in for a great season with our current squad.
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:07 - Aug 2 with 4805 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:58 - Aug 2 by Westcountryblue

A lot of Premiership and Championship clubs are still assessing squads, returning from overseas tours, reviewing injury numbers, holding on to players while they work on securing their own targets first etc...

The jury is out and Ashton and Co this window, but i suspect we will see 2-3 players come through the door...perhaps in last part of the window, when clubs are more flexible in terms of letting unwanted assets leave...ala Chaplin, Morsy, Celina on that bonkers last day of the window a few seasons ago.

I do think the club and McKenna needs to continue to be 'relentless'. We can upgrade on Ball, Aluko, Jackson, Donacien and Evans. If we really want to compete, we should be signing players to genuinely challenge the likes of Morsy, Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead, Woolfie et al. Moving forward should be the name of the game.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2023 12:59]

We won't be upgrading squad players like the 5 you mentioned. We will be spending our FFP allocation on better first XI players.

No team in the Championship will have 25 players all at the same level and no one of quality will join and just be a squad player.
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:08 - Aug 2 with 4809 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s almost as if there are other Championship clubs desperate to get promoted too.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We were second in League one.... on 13:11 - Aug 2 with 4773 viewsBloots

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:05 - Aug 2 by muhrensleftfoot

So much negativity about. We were streets ahead of any team in League One. Our games against Rotherham and Burnley last season in the cup proved we are at least equal to any Championship team. I for one think we are in for a great season with our current squad.

....and only 2 points clear of third place.

"Streets ahead"?

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:13 - Aug 2 with 4773 viewsSitfcB

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:08 - Aug 2 by Illinoisblue

It’s almost as if there are other Championship clubs desperate to get promoted too.

This place has gone back to being a proper flounce fest.

It is what it is at the end of the day, just roll with it.

COYB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:21 - Aug 2 with 4703 viewsElderGrizzly

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:51 - Aug 2 by IP1Blue

Yeah I agree that our squad isn’t filled with league one journeymen however I wouldn’t agree with it being filled up with real championship quality players.

Chaplin, Davis, Broadhead and Walton are the only ones I would say that are real championship quality.

Let’s not kid ourselves in saying that the rest of our squad is based off a league one promotion. I think the majority of our squad would’ve been considered average in terms of the championship.

We barely get a mention in The Guardian review.

They certainly don't think we'll be troubling promotion anyway

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/02/championship-football-leeds-lei
We were second in League one.... on 13:29 - Aug 2 with 4643 viewsGuthrum

We were second in League one.... on 13:11 - Aug 2 by Bloots

....and only 2 points clear of third place.

"Streets ahead"?

Tho the top three (all of whom were promoted), were well clear of the rest - ten points between 3rd and 4th, 20 between 3rd and 7th.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:30 - Aug 2 with 4631 viewsWestcountryblue

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:07 - Aug 2 by burnbudgiesburn

We won't be upgrading squad players like the 5 you mentioned. We will be spending our FFP allocation on better first XI players.

No team in the Championship will have 25 players all at the same level and no one of quality will join and just be a squad player.

I think the point i was making, was that we should look to sign players that can compliment our starting eleven, taking us to an even higher level, as opposed to fill holes in the squad.
So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:33 - Aug 2 with 4606 viewsBloots

We were second in League one.... on 13:29 - Aug 2 by Guthrum

Tho the top three (all of whom were promoted), were well clear of the rest - ten points between 3rd and 4th, 20 between 3rd and 7th.

...just those from 4th downwards.

People are constantly using our performance last year as a reason to say that we don't need to strengthen for this season.

So on that basis we are going to finish below Plymouth, but above Sheff Weds?

Rock and roll.

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:34 - Aug 2 with 4596 viewsthe_toff

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:34 - Aug 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think the Championship experience thing is something people cling to, but how important is it actually? Our squad have played in big games, at big grounds, dealt with the pressure of expectation in L1. Is Preston, Rotherham, Blackburn or QPR any more pressure than Bolton, Derby or Charlton? I'm not convinced. If anything last season was higher pressure than going into this season with it being something of a free hit (to a degree).

Woolfy and Davis have <20 appearances combined in the Championship between them, but I'm not sure they're any less equipped than Evans or Luongo who have hundreds to their name.

What's more important is whether our squad are good enough for the Championship, not whether they've played there before. Time will tell on that, and I do think we will bring a couple more in, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade our current squad for many of those in the Championship. Certainly not many outside of those that came down from the premier league.
So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:36 - Aug 2 with 4587 viewsKieran_Knows

So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:33 - Aug 2 by Bloots

People are constantly using our performance last year as a reason to say that we don't need to strengthen for this season.

Rock and roll.

It's mental, it really is.

The drop off in quality from say Burns and Clarke to Donacien and Jackson in League 1 was quite staggering, let alone them bridging the gap in the Championship.

How dare we dispute any of that though.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:36 - Aug 2 with 4572 viewspointofblue

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:30 - Aug 2 by Westcountryblue

I think the point i was making, was that we should look to sign players that can compliment our starting eleven, taking us to an even higher level, as opposed to fill holes in the squad.

I agree. If we go back to January, Hirst took Ladapo's place, Luongo took an albeit injured Evans position (so replaced Humphreys), Broadhead unseated Harness/Edwards whilst Clarke played ahead of Donacien.

That's how we should be approaching this window too but, so far, it feels like those who have come in are not for the first eleven. Taylor will battle with Luongo rather than clearly take over from him IMO whilst Hirst will pick up his place from last season. If we bring in Kongolo, will he take Burgess' place? Maybe. I can't see Hutchinson being a first reamer straight away except for injuries forcing him to be, and Slicker certainly won't.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:42 - Aug 2 with 4498 viewsStewart27

I’m really pleased that somebody finally posted about our transfer business.
So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:44 - Aug 2 with 4482 viewsGuthrum

Rock and roll.

Who knows where they will end up? OK, SheffW are shooting themselves in the foot as fast as possible. But Plymouth may do well.

I think it's been a slightly frustrating window so far, with players having gone elsewhere due to big fees and Town being just another newly-promoted club. But, equally, we have a squad decent enough to give a good account of ourselves and maybe surprise a few people.

Mid-table consolidation in the Champ is not such a bad outcome for this season, give us a solid base for pushing on after that. Tho we'd all love a double promotion.

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:45 - Aug 2 with 4471 viewsmrfixit426

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 12:51 - Aug 2 by IP1Blue

I think you missed a few there, chief.

Luongo, Ball, Clarke, Evans, Ladapo, Hirst, Aluko, Taylor, Edmundson and Woolfenden are all good enough to play Championship, and with the exception of Woolf, all have before to varying degrees of success.

I'm confident Burns and Harness have the ability to make the step up, and from what I've seen of Hutchinson pre-season, I think he'll be just fine.
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:48 - Aug 2 with 4434 viewsIP1Blue

Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:21 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

We barely get a mention in The Guardian review.

They certainly don't think we'll be troubling promotion anyway

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/02/championship-football-leeds-lei

I agree with them as well!

I don’t really get where this arrogance and self entitlement is coming from within the fan base. There’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance and I feel like the majority of the fans now are bordering on arrogance and almost see it as an insult if you go against that, just seems all a bit odd and feel like there will be a lot of disappointed fans come the end of the season!

I’m not saying you are btw lol!
Plan A transfer targets not going well on 13:48 - Aug 2 with 4433 viewsStu_Magoo

Are we going to get relegated? Doubtful in my mind.

So I go into this season with a kind of calm inquisitiveness - do Ashton & Co really know what they're doing or was our set-up just far too good for L1? Is our "recruitment room" going to find us the players we need? I wonder how we're going to get on over a long Championship season, given the showing over two matches against Burnley?

Of all the seasons in recent memory, I think this is the one where you can just strap in and enjoy the ride.
So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:49 - Aug 2 with 4433 viewsitfcjoe

Rock and roll.

Performance wise we were miles ahead of the division through the last third of it, and results wise so can see the argument there - but ultimately McKenna and Ashton are desperate for additions and they know best as to what is required.

Ashton literally says last week "we’ve got to really add quality now to the starting XI", he knows it - but it seems because some fans think we just need a tinkering and we'll finish 12th that it will be seen as good enough - that is not the attitude in the club and never has been

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:51 - Aug 2 with 4401 viewsGuthrum

So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:36 - Aug 2 by Kieran_Knows

It's mental, it really is.

The drop off in quality from say Burns and Clarke to Donacien and Jackson in League 1 was quite staggering, let alone them bridging the gap in the Championship.

How dare we dispute any of that though.

We don't really know until it's been put to the test. Jackson might find he has more space to run into when there aren't 10 opposition players in their final third. Donacien's better defensive skills may be more useful against stronger attacks.

Even SW, with their disastrous owner.... on 13:55 - Aug 2 with 4337 viewsBloots

So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:44 - Aug 2 by Guthrum

Who knows where they will end up? OK, SheffW are shooting themselves in the foot as fast as possible. But Plymouth may do well.

I think it's been a slightly frustrating window so far, with players having gone elsewhere due to big fees and Town being just another newly-promoted club. But, equally, we have a squad decent enough to give a good account of ourselves and maybe surprise a few people.

Mid-table consolidation in the Champ is not such a bad outcome for this season, give us a solid base for pushing on after that. Tho we'd all love a double promotion.

....have brought in more players than we have.

Plymouth have brought in 7.

Of course there will be arguments about "quality", "replacing" and "improving" but the gap between the 3 promoted clubs last season was minimal and we certainly haven't improved our starting 11 to any real degree.

Opinions, opinions......

So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:55 - Aug 2 with 4339 viewshype313

So we weren't "streets ahead" of everyone..... on 13:51 - Aug 2 by Guthrum

We don't really know until it's been put to the test. Jackson might find he has more space to run into when there aren't 10 opposition players in their final third. Donacien's better defensive skills may be more useful against stronger attacks.

Donacien gets a nose bleed if he goes past the halfway line, and this in turn affects our play in the final third, meaning Burns is somewhat isolated.

JD is brilliant as you say defensively, and I don't have an issue with him playing on the odd occasion, but Clarke is so integral to our style of play offensively.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024