Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind 20:00 - Jul 29 with 6188 viewsgtsb1966

We have such a diverse age on here it will be interesting to hear the things that have remained with you forever in the sporting world either good or bad. There are 4 for me. In no particular order it is the radio commentary on 1500mw on a Saturday afternoon with the late greats of Peter Jones and Bryan Butler. I would often be outside in the freezing cold with a few mates listening to second half commentary on my transistor radio. Next was Wrestling at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon with Kent Walton commentating.If the weather was bad I would go and see my nan whilst waiting for the football results and she would go bananas watching the wrestling. I never had the heart to tell her it wasn't real. Thirdly it was the great era of boxing on ITV on a Saturday night with the Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson fights. They truly were warriors. Last and certainly not least was the Bradford fire. I was sitting there having my tea when suddenly live on TV is a man walking from the back of the stand completely on fire. It took me a while to get over that. Sport can be so great yet so tragic and these memories have always remained with me.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:21 - Jul 30 with 1688 viewsLord_Lucan

Top of my head.

Ovett / Coe olympics where they won each others respective best distances

Eubank / Benn / Watson / Collins - but mainly Eubank v Benn

Bolton at home

Brazil 74 World Cup - probably because it's my first real football memory.

West Indians bowling against England circa 1974 when every ball seemed to be a bouncer.

***As I say, completely off the top of my head, this may change after I've cut the grass.

Edited Cram to Coe because I am old and my brain doesn't function properly.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 16:48]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:23 - Jul 30 with 1686 viewsnorfsufblue

Something I have missed for years and years in John Player Sunday League (40 vers) on BBC2..... though obviously couldn't be the JPL anymore! Was brilliant turning it in and gradually dropping off for a kip then waking up for the final 15 or so overs.... and Kent were pretty good at it and Canterbury and its tree featured regularly!
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:31 - Jul 30 with 1679 viewsLord_Lucan

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 07:23 - Jul 30 by Pendejo

Earliest / most impact?

Football
My dad played Saturday and Sunday, so that (& cricket) involved driving around Ipswich / Suffolk, playing with the other kids, then sitting in the car while the dads went to the pub often singing "Lily the Pink".
At Home International time remember my dad's friends watching together (2 Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman - there must be a joke in there somewhere)
But first non-Ipswich match I remember was 77 Cup Final Liverpool 1 Manure 2

Non-Football
Ali beating Leon Spinks to regain WH title 1978 (meeting Ali LA 1981)
Olympics 1980 Moscow because of the politics, Alan Wells, Daley Thompson
Botham Ashes
Mansell's blow out 86?

I nearly added Ali losing to Spinks and Bothams / Willis Ashes.

Probably should have put Play off final as well as both my kids were there.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:38 - Jul 30 with 1656 viewssolemio

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:31 - Jul 30 by Lord_Lucan

I nearly added Ali losing to Spinks and Bothams / Willis Ashes.

Probably should have put Play off final as well as both my kids were there.

Well done for giving Willis equal billing with Botham. He so often gets overlooked.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:56 - Jul 30 with 1637 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:23 - Jul 30 by norfsufblue

Something I have missed for years and years in John Player Sunday League (40 vers) on BBC2..... though obviously couldn't be the JPL anymore! Was brilliant turning it in and gradually dropping off for a kip then waking up for the final 15 or so overs.... and Kent were pretty good at it and Canterbury and its tree featured regularly!

Back in the days when a target of 180 odd of 40 overs was described by Christopher Martin-Jenkins as a 'very challenging chase'.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 13:12 - Jul 30 with 1628 viewsDJR

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:23 - Jul 30 by norfsufblue

It wasn't only the JPL, but I also loved Pot Black. Also there was evening Rugby League which (although not a big fan) I enjoyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC2_Floodlit_Trophy
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 13:17]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 13:17 - Jul 30 with 1612 viewsgainsboroughblue

"Keith Deller, of Ipswich"

Vivid memories of watching this in January 1983 after listening to Town come back from 2 down to win an FA Cup third round tie at Charlton.

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 14:33 - Jul 30 with 1575 viewssolemio

Darts is not a sport.
Login to get fewer ads

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 14:43 - Jul 30 with 1559 viewsnorfsufblue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:56 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

Back in the days when a target of 180 odd of 40 overs was described by Christopher Martin-Jenkins as a 'very challenging chase'.

Tbh I reckon a T20 every Sunday afternoon on tele would be brilliant... even double headers ... finals day as now would be perfect
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 14:51 - Jul 30 with 1548 viewsDJR

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 13:17 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

"Keith Deller, of Ipswich"

Vivid memories of watching this in January 1983 after listening to Town come back from 2 down to win an FA Cup third round tie at Charlton.

Living in London at the time, I went to the game, and watched Keith Deller win the title after. It was a great day.
Ovett & Coe. (n/t) on 14:54 - Jul 30 with 1541 viewsBloots

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:21 - Jul 30 by Lord_Lucan

Top of my head.

Bolton at home

West Indians bowling against England circa 1974 when every ball seemed to be a bouncer.

***As I say, completely off the top of my head, this may change after I've cut the grass.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 15:01 - Jul 30 with 1525 viewsKeno

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 13:12 - Jul 30 by DJR

It wasn't only the JPL, but I also loved Pot Black. Also there was evening Rugby League which (although not a big fan) I enjoyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC2_Floodlit_Trophy
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 13:17]

Didn’t the JPL become the Henson & Bedges at some stage?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 15:20 - Jul 30 with 1512 viewsgainsboroughblue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 15:01 - Jul 30 by Keno

Didn’t the JPL become the Henson & Bedges at some stage?

Different tournaments. B&H was the 55 over Cup (later 50 over). You also had Gillette (later Natwest) Trophy 60 overs.

John Player became the AXA league later on.

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 15:54 - Jul 30 with 1492 viewsBluespeed225

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:11 - Jul 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Surprised that you don’t recall Lubanski whisking the ball off Bobby Moore and putting Poland Ehead against England in the seismic qualifier for the 1974 World Cup.

Or Boniek Ming up short v Muehren and Thijssen

Ball sent off, Katowice, Alfs’ reliance on Moore cost us. Mind you, Hunter at Wembley and Shiltons dove over the ball must’ve left him thinking ‘they’ve all got it in for me’!
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 15:57 - Jul 30 with 1491 viewsGrandpa

For as long as I can remember, I loved football, but hadn't settled on a team. From Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, it's Tottenham/Arsenal territory, but there were a few Chelsea, West Ham & the typical Liverpool & Man U fans among my peers (because of their dad's, but 2 of my uncles were West Brom) but 1978 was the 1st cup final I watched on TV, & even at 6, I remember thinking to myself then, whoever wins, that's who I'll support.
I liked the blue kit & the badge better than Arsenal's anyway, so I've been a blue ever since!
Neither parent liked football, & Herts was so far away, but my dad & 1 of his bro's (1 of the West Brom fans) eventually took me to Portman Road, albeit, not til March 1984 (sadly, my favourite player Paul Mariner had just left) but unbeknown to me, it had been arranged they'd take me in to meet players before the match.
Then a 12 year old, I was awestruck by these superstars I was meeting, Cooper, Burley, Osman, Butcher, & Gates among them
Even my uncle (West Brom fan) enjoyed a conversation with Romeo Zondervan who he'd joined Ipswich from. Still have the autograph book!
Unfortunately, finances & coming from Hertfordshire & eventually family/professional moves to Leicestershire/Warwickshire, means I'm an infrequent visitor to Portman Road, however our new owners have put me on the SBR stand!
When the news broke of Sir Bobby's passing, I had to be there for the visit of Newcastle. The result was forgettable, but the tributes/occasion was enhanced by being in a seat where I was handed a 'B' (next to the chap holding 'Y' of 'BOBBY') An image which has since been my phone's wallpaper & now appears twice on the SBR stand - I couldn't be prouder!

As good as it got for me personally was 1 appearance for Herts county u16 v Arsenal u15 at Uxbridge Utd's ground (4-4)
As a 15 year old, unused sub in Herts senior cup final for Borehamwood Wood v Watford (incl Luther Blissett & my opposite number on Watford's bench was David James) seeing my name "up in lights" on Watford's electric scoreboard was surreal!

Away from football, I think the Cherry Blossoms' victory in the Rugby World Cup Japan v South Africa was a stunning game of rugby & an even more stunning result - I was cheering Japan on, really willing them to win. I think they've since made a film of it: Miracle of Brighton, I think, as it's where it was played
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 17:36]
Ovett & Coe. (n/t) on 16:46 - Jul 30 with 1453 viewsLord_Lucan

Ovett & Coe. (n/t) on 14:54 - Jul 30 by Bloots

Why did I actually even write Cram?

He wasn't even in my mind.

Edited.

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 17:08 - Jul 30 with 1434 viewsDJR

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 15:57 - Jul 30 by Grandpa

For as long as I can remember, I loved football, but hadn't settled on a team. From Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, it's Tottenham/Arsenal territory, but there were a few Chelsea, West Ham & the typical Liverpool & Man U fans among my peers (because of their dad's, but 2 of my uncles were West Brom) but 1978 was the 1st cup final I watched on TV, & even at 6, I remember thinking to myself then, whoever wins, that's who I'll support.
I liked the blue kit & the badge better than Arsenal's anyway, so I've been a blue ever since!
Neither parent liked football, & Herts was so far away, but my dad & 1 of his bro's (1 of the West Brom fans) eventually took me to Portman Road, albeit, not til March 1984 (sadly, my favourite player Paul Mariner had just left) but unbeknown to me, it had been arranged they'd take me in to meet players before the match.
Then a 12 year old, I was awestruck by these superstars I was meeting, Cooper, Burley, Osman, Butcher, & Gates among them
Even my uncle (West Brom fan) enjoyed a conversation with Romeo Zondervan who he'd joined Ipswich from. Still have the autograph book!
Unfortunately, finances & coming from Hertfordshire & eventually family/professional moves to Leicestershire/Warwickshire, means I'm an infrequent visitor to Portman Road, however our new owners have put me on the SBR stand!
When the news broke of Sir Bobby's passing, I had to be there for the visit of Newcastle. The result was forgettable, but the tributes/occasion was enhanced by being in a seat where I was handed a 'B' (next to the chap holding 'Y' of 'BOBBY') An image which has since been my phone's wallpaper & now appears twice on the SBR stand - I couldn't be prouder!

As good as it got for me personally was 1 appearance for Herts county u16 v Arsenal u15 at Uxbridge Utd's ground (4-4)
As a 15 year old, unused sub in Herts senior cup final for Borehamwood Wood v Watford (incl Luther Blissett & my opposite number on Watford's bench was David James) seeing my name "up in lights" on Watford's electric scoreboard was surreal!

Away from football, I think the Cherry Blossoms' victory in the Rugby World Cup Japan v South Africa was a stunning game of rugby & an even more stunning result - I was cheering Japan on, really willing them to win. I think they've since made a film of it: Miracle of Brighton, I think, as it's where it was played
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 17:36]

Great story.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 17:31 - Jul 30 with 1411 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Boxing in the 60s and 70s was so much better than the modern day. I remember as a kid being baffled and saddened when Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali. Then a few years later listening on the radio to the rumble in the jungle, probbly the greatest fight of all time.
I saw the world Cup in 1970 on a colour TV that we bought specially for it. That Brazil team were amazing, the pictures were grainy, but it was such a treat to watch live in colour.

I think of my in-person (spectator) memories, running on the pitch at Carrot Road after winning the Texaco Cup in 73 is right up there, we had a great youth team as well and we knew we were on the brink of something special.
The Sunderland FA Cup win in 73 was memorable - the emotion between the manager and the Sunderland goalkeeper (Jim Montgomery).
As a 13 year old who hitched a lift to Leicester to witness the 3rd replay victory over Leeds in 75, and then got stuck in a blizzard trying to get home alone, that will stay with me forever.
Our playoff campaign in 2000 of course is right up there.

Between the ages 18-22 I raced motorcycles and this meant I was very irregular at football - but I had some great experiences, I did ok and held a National race licence, and have many great memories from this time, including being in the pit garage with Mark Salle at Donington when Barry Sheene came in for a chat, and he gave me a cigarette!. I entertained the crowd at Knockhill in Scotland when I had to come in to the pits due to a badly steamed up visor in pouring rain, but did so with a 100 yard wheelie in the wet. I'm glad to have some great memories of those times.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 17:44]

Poll: would you rather

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 19:22 - Jul 30 with 1370 viewsBlueBoots

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 12:21 - Jul 30 by Lord_Lucan

Top of my head.

Bolton at home

"West Indians bowling against England circa 1974 when every ball seemed to be a bouncer."

Ah...start of the Clive Lloyd revolution - would have been Holding and Roberts at that time (later joined by Garner and Croft to make up the "Four Horsemen") I'm a bit too young to remember the mid-70's, but the pivotal test series against England was in '76 - if you want a refresher on West Indies cricket of that era and what followed, I'd recommend the excellent documentary Fire In Babylon.

My dad was from the West Indies, a cricket not football fan, so despite being born in the UK grew up a Windies fan; rather like my following Ipswich (down to my uncle, a football not cricket fan!), growing up in the late 70's / early 80's I was rather spoilt for success with the teams I followed

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 21:46 - Jul 30 with 1324 viewsCoastalblue

My first ever visit to Wembley probably aged about 7, I still remember the first glimpse of the vivid green pitch under the floodlights, can't remember which game if I'm honest, maybe Finland?

1981, first full season at PR along with every game in the FA Cup, and then of course the Ashes ignited a fledgling love of cricket.

Italia '90, watched most of the games in my local, was seeing a very lovely girl and was quite smitten for a while. Drank like a fish for the tournament too.

From the same year James 'Buster' Douglas.

Honourable mention to Mansell and that car malfunction, was quite an F1 fan in the '90's but am afraid that's gone these days.

Leicester winning the league is probably a recent one.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:46 - Jul 31 with 1244 viewsnoggin

Sunderland beating Leeds in the cup final and Man Utd being relegated to the second division. Both seemed unthinkable at the time.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 16:32 - Aug 1 with 1100 viewsthecheek

From the same era when I was a kid -

Kirk Stevens - 147 break

France Portugal - Euro '84 final

And this -

Plus a horse called Harchibald failing to go past the winner in the 2005 Cheltenham Champion Hurdle
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 16:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024