Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind 20:00 - Jul 29 with 6185 viewsgtsb1966

We have such a diverse age on here it will be interesting to hear the things that have remained with you forever in the sporting world either good or bad. There are 4 for me. In no particular order it is the radio commentary on 1500mw on a Saturday afternoon with the late greats of Peter Jones and Bryan Butler. I would often be outside in the freezing cold with a few mates listening to second half commentary on my transistor radio. Next was Wrestling at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon with Kent Walton commentating.If the weather was bad I would go and see my nan whilst waiting for the football results and she would go bananas watching the wrestling. I never had the heart to tell her it wasn't real. Thirdly it was the great era of boxing on ITV on a Saturday night with the Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson fights. They truly were warriors. Last and certainly not least was the Bradford fire. I was sitting there having my tea when suddenly live on TV is a man walking from the back of the stand completely on fire. It took me a while to get over that. Sport can be so great yet so tragic and these memories have always remained with me.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:07 - Jul 30 with 1110 viewsDJR

A Colemanball: "Ernst Happel in his dressing gown at half-time."
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:15 - Jul 30 with 1100 viewsBlueBoots

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:06 - Jul 29 by CBBlue

Torvill & Dean's Bolaro (somewhat tarnished now by Dancing On Ice every year),

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics, actually, I'd add in the 2012 Opening Ceremony as an amazing sporting memory too.

The 1990 World Cup - wasn't interested in football and as a 14 year old girl initially started watching it as my friend said some of the Italian players were fit Ended up watching every game and even became an expert in the offside rule! Then went to my first ever live game the following season (at Portman Road obvs).

Replying to your post rather than the OP, as you have 2 of mine!

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics was very special, but my favourite Olympic memory is definitely Kelly Holmes at Athens 2004. Watching the way she dug deep to hold off Mutola (and a couple of other athletes putting in a late sprint) in the finishing straight of the 800m was remarkable; 1500m less stressful, as she managed that race to perfection. Reading about the state of her mental health in the run up to those games (which wasn't public knowledge at the time) makes the achievement all the more impressive.

Don't even know where to begin with Italia 1990...was 18 at the time, just finished school and a summer off before university; watched pretty much every game, and all the England games (legally at last!) down the pub with mates. The England semi-final against West Germany gets most of the attention (and rightly so), but my big memory was us battering Holland 0-0; the Holland team at that time had Koeman, Rijkaard, Gullit and Van Basten, and a daft lad who'd hardly kicked a ball in a competitive match for England was the best player on the pitch - when Gazza diddled a couple of Dutchmen with a turn named after one of their countrymen, the penny dropped that we had a hell of a player in the team.

Ten years on from that, Play-Off final in 2000 my favourite Ipswich memory (and memory of a sporting event that I attended live); don't think I need to say much about what happened on the pitch, but I feel for a whole generation of Town fans who have not (yet) had the opportunity to see them play at Wembley. Coming through the stadium and up the steps into the stand and seeing half the stadium in blue and half in red, not knowing whether it was going to be a good or bad day for Town when so much was at stake - felt nerves to the point of almost feeling physically sick; still have chills thinking about it now, but knowing the result makes for a happier memory!

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:24 - Jul 30 with 1080 viewsnorfsufblue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:15 - Jul 30 by BlueBoots

Replying to your post rather than the OP, as you have 2 of mine!

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics was very special, but my favourite Olympic memory is definitely Kelly Holmes at Athens 2004. Watching the way she dug deep to hold off Mutola (and a couple of other athletes putting in a late sprint) in the finishing straight of the 800m was remarkable; 1500m less stressful, as she managed that race to perfection. Reading about the state of her mental health in the run up to those games (which wasn't public knowledge at the time) makes the achievement all the more impressive.

Don't even know where to begin with Italia 1990...was 18 at the time, just finished school and a summer off before university; watched pretty much every game, and all the England games (legally at last!) down the pub with mates. The England semi-final against West Germany gets most of the attention (and rightly so), but my big memory was us battering Holland 0-0; the Holland team at that time had Koeman, Rijkaard, Gullit and Van Basten, and a daft lad who'd hardly kicked a ball in a competitive match for England was the best player on the pitch - when Gazza diddled a couple of Dutchmen with a turn named after one of their countrymen, the penny dropped that we had a hell of a player in the team.

Ten years on from that, Play-Off final in 2000 my favourite Ipswich memory (and memory of a sporting event that I attended live); don't think I need to say much about what happened on the pitch, but I feel for a whole generation of Town fans who have not (yet) had the opportunity to see them play at Wembley. Coming through the stadium and up the steps into the stand and seeing half the stadium in blue and half in red, not knowing whether it was going to be a good or bad day for Town when so much was at stake - felt nerves to the point of almost feeling physically sick; still have chills thinking about it now, but knowing the result makes for a happier memory!

Despite being a dump the old Wembley still knocks spots off the new one if only for the walk up Wembley way, also the walk from the tunnel end was unique at the start of cup finals and international matches... I still miss The Twin Towers!
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:32 - Jul 30 with 1048 viewsElephantintheRoom

For me it’s the 1960s - a sporting era that has never come close to being surpassed. England were world champs at football. Man U were admired, rather than reviled because of Law, Best and Charlton, Jack Nicklaus hit golf balls with woods made out of wood, cricket seemed impossibly glamorous with Sobers, Pollack et al, thé Mexico Olympics were both exotic and jaw dropping Cassius Clay became Ali - and Ipswich returned to the top division they won at the start of the decade with a team schoolkids of that era still have rose-tinted wet dreams over, particularly Danny Hegan.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:38 - Jul 30 with 1042 viewsSaigonTractor

David Seaman getting lobbed by Ronaldinho in the 2002 World Cup. Will always haunt me.

A more positive one would be Usain Bolt breaking the 100m record in 2008. I was in absolute awe.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 8:39]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:53 - Jul 30 with 1030 viewsChurchman

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:24 - Jul 30 by norfsufblue

Despite being a dump the old Wembley still knocks spots off the new one if only for the walk up Wembley way, also the walk from the tunnel end was unique at the start of cup finals and international matches... I still miss The Twin Towers!

I’ve never been a fan of the new Wembley. It’s always felt sterile, in the wrong place and character free. Wembley Way has been destroyed by all the building either side of it and all you see is a doughnut of a stadium at the end of it.

The old stadium had an aura, grandeur, sense of history, a feel to it. When you walked towards it the towers beckoned you. It felt special. Unique.

Ok, the facilities were awful, it was crumbling, the views weren’t great and it needed replacing or rebuilding. But couldn’t the designers have made an attempt to retain the feel of the old stadium? How do you do that? No idea, but architects managed to work magic with St Pancras so why not old Wembley? Either that or move it somewhere sensible out of London.

It was an opportunity lost. We have an over priced ageing national stadium that’ll never have the magic of the old one however long it lasts.

A great sporting memory is walking up Wembley Way for the 1978 Cup Final. I’d been to Wembley a few times to see England, but this time it was my club in the Cup Final. Beyond excited.

Wembley 2000 was great too, but nothing can beat that first time you see your club there.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:56 - Jul 30 with 1028 viewssolemio

1953 Yes, really.

Daily Sketch editorial in August of that year:

The tremulous thought that has obsessed millions since 6.30 pm yesterday is that only 94 runs with 9 wickets in hand stand between us and the ashes which departed for Australia 19 years ago.
If we fail to get them it won't make a ha'porth of difference to the world situation, the import/export gap or even the price of eggs. Cricket is of course only a game; so is climbing Mount Everest. But how this nation needs those runs.

The only editorial I have ever remembered during my lifetime!! We won by (I think) 8 wickets.

I was 9 at the time.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 14:36]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:01 - Jul 30 with 1024 viewsbefxblue

First real memories taking any notice of sport are of the Seoul 88 Olympics.

Then Italia 90 in general.

Cantona kung-fu kick.

And the absolute laughter and joy of me and my mate watching the ball bobble over Gunns foot (Unfortunately on TV, not live)
Login to get fewer ads

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:06 - Jul 30 with 1017 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mainly the memories from my childhood in Poland in early 80's and any victories against communist sh1t that Soviet Union was, or more precisely any flicks towards them. I was a little kid then but remember vividly some moments.

Poland - USSR in World Cup 1982, that was a winning 0-0 draw which eliminated Soviets from the tournament

Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz, a Polish pole vaulter and his gesture towards the communist cesspit during the Olympic games in Moscow 1980
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:11 - Jul 30 with 997 viewsElephantintheRoom

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:06 - Jul 30 by Mach_foreignBlue

Mainly the memories from my childhood in Poland in early 80's and any victories against communist sh1t that Soviet Union was, or more precisely any flicks towards them. I was a little kid then but remember vividly some moments.

Poland - USSR in World Cup 1982, that was a winning 0-0 draw which eliminated Soviets from the tournament

Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz, a Polish pole vaulter and his gesture towards the communist cesspit during the Olympic games in Moscow 1980

Surprised that you don’t recall Lubanski whisking the ball off Bobby Moore and putting Poland Ehead against England in the seismic qualifier for the 1974 World Cup.

Or Boniek Ming up short v Muehren and Thijssen

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:15 - Jul 30 with 986 viewsDJR

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:06 - Jul 30 by Mach_foreignBlue

I can't remember whether it was the 1982 or 1986 World Cup, or perhaps both, but I loved the way that Poland played. From what I can recall it was quite quick, direct and attacking.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 9:17]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:17 - Jul 30 with 973 viewsKeno

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:32 - Jul 30 by ElephantintheRoom

For me it’s the 1960s - a sporting era that has never come close to being surpassed. England were world champs at football. Man U were admired, rather than reviled because of Law, Best and Charlton, Jack Nicklaus hit golf balls with woods made out of wood, cricket seemed impossibly glamorous with Sobers, Pollack et al, thé Mexico Olympics were both exotic and jaw dropping Cassius Clay became Ali - and Ipswich returned to the top division they won at the start of the decade with a team schoolkids of that era still have rose-tinted wet dreams over, particularly Danny Hegan.

For once Ellie have an uppie

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:19 - Jul 30 with 958 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:11 - Jul 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Surprised that you don’t recall Lubanski whisking the ball off Bobby Moore and putting Poland Ehead against England in the seismic qualifier for the 1974 World Cup.

Or Boniek Ming up short v Muehren and Thijssen

I was born that year so I only know this moment from the telly where I have seen it umpteen times.

Bobby Moore in that game effectively ended Lubanski's career too as the latter was never the same player following a very long injury.

Boniek and the rest of Widzew clowns allegedly drank a lot before 5-0 Ipswich win at Portman Road. Prior to that game they had knocked Manchester Utd and Juventus out of Europe.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:20 - Jul 30 with 955 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:15 - Jul 30 by DJR

I can't remember whether it was the 1982 or 1986 World Cup, or perhaps both, but I loved the way that Poland played. From what I can recall it was quite quick, direct and attacking.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 9:17]

1982 as it was a successful tournament for them.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:39 - Jul 30 with 943 viewsKeno

Can I also add listening to John Arlott on TMS

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:42 - Jul 30 with 938 viewsKeno

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:20 - Jul 30 by Mach_foreignBlue

1982 as it was a successful tournament for them.

Lets we forget the 'clown' in goal

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:46 - Jul 30 with 931 viewsChurchman

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:39 - Jul 30 by Keno

Can I also add listening to John Arlott on TMS

Definitely. Ahh happy memories of TMS.

On that, Richie Benaud’s deadpan tv commentary of Ian Botham annihilating Australia’s attack at Headingley in 1981.

‘Don't bother looking for that, let alone chasing it. That's gone straight into the confectionary stall and out again‘
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 9:48]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:49 - Jul 30 with 919 viewsiamatractorboy

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:38 - Jul 30 by SaigonTractor

David Seaman getting lobbed by Ronaldinho in the 2002 World Cup. Will always haunt me.

A more positive one would be Usain Bolt breaking the 100m record in 2008. I was in absolute awe.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 8:39]

Actually this is a really good one. I was too old to be impressionable like a child would be, but Bolt's performance in that 2008 100m final has to be the most jaw-dropping thing I have ever seen in the sporting arena. Yes he bettered the time in 2009 (still the world record today), but the manner of it is what took the breath away. He was celebrating the win a good 15m short of the line and still broke the world record ahead of the world's best.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:56 - Jul 30 with 895 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:42 - Jul 30 by Keno

Lets we forget the 'clown' in goal

Yep, that 'clown' who stopped England from going to World Cup 1974

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Vi9vZCo215w&t=10s&pp=ygUXamFuIHRvbWFzemV3c2t
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 9:57]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:00 - Jul 30 with 888 viewsKeno

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:46 - Jul 30 by Churchman

Definitely. Ahh happy memories of TMS.

On that, Richie Benaud’s deadpan tv commentary of Ian Botham annihilating Australia’s attack at Headingley in 1981.

‘Don't bother looking for that, let alone chasing it. That's gone straight into the confectionary stall and out again‘
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 9:48]

There are so many moments from TMS

This brings a tear to the eye

as does this for different reasons

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 874 viewsblueislander

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:56 - Jul 30 by solemio

1953 Yes, really.

Daily Sketch editorial in August of that year:

The tremulous thought that has obsessed millions since 6.30 pm yesterday is that only 94 runs with 9 wickets in hand stand between us and the ashes which departed for Australia 19 years ago.
If we fail to get them it won't make a ha'porth of difference to the world situation, the import/export gap or even the price of eggs. Cricket is of course only a game; so is climbing Mount Everest. But how this nation needs those runs.

The only editorial I have ever remembered during my lifetime!! We won by (I think) 8 wickets.

I was 9 at the time.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 14:36]

The first thing I watched on TV was the 1953 Cup Final.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:17 - Jul 30 with 846 viewsBluespeed225

Remember my Mum being really upset at the death of Lilian Board, how could someone at their peak succumb, Munich 72’ was going to be hers.
Sunderland 73’, as an 9 year old it was unbelievable.
England v Poland 73’, allowed to stay up late, cried.
78’, surrounded by happiness.
Botham 81’, school hols, holy cow.
Italia 90, the drama, great time in music, Bobby.
Euro 96’,
Bolton and Wembley,
Feb’ onwards this year, up there.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:23 - Jul 30 with 829 viewsDeepBlueSea

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 20:14 - Jul 29 by Pique

One that is firmly ingrained on my brain is the 1988 Men's 100m final at the Seoul Olympics, in which Ben Jonson 'won' in a way that seemed utterly impossible in the pre-Usain Bolt era. And as it turned out, it was impossible, because he cheated. Carl Lewis won silver (later gold), Linford Christie bronze (later silver).

Same here. I was 8, and have no memory of Los Angeles ‘84,

I found it incredibly exciting at the time. Even now, knowing he cheated, doesn’t fully take away from the memory. He was just this absolute unit of muscle, and his starts were incredible.

I even started trying to sprint like him (remember his feet hit the ground quite far apart, probably because of his ridiculous glutes and quads), until my mum pointed out that I was running slower, and looked like a tw@t.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:25 - Jul 30 with 824 viewsDJR

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:00 - Jul 30 by Keno

There are so many moments from TMS

This brings a tear to the eye

as does this for different reasons

To be honest, I'm not really a cricket fan, but I did like listening to TMS in the olden days. Indeed, it was often at its finest when rain stopped play.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 10:56 - Jul 30 with 784 viewsSaigonTractor

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 09:49 - Jul 30 by iamatractorboy

Actually this is a really good one. I was too old to be impressionable like a child would be, but Bolt's performance in that 2008 100m final has to be the most jaw-dropping thing I have ever seen in the sporting arena. Yes he bettered the time in 2009 (still the world record today), but the manner of it is what took the breath away. He was celebrating the win a good 15m short of the line and still broke the world record ahead of the world's best.

The celebration while still running is what really makes it stick. Incredible to be able to almost stop trying and still break the record.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024