Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind 20:00 - Jul 29 with 6100 viewsgtsb1966

We have such a diverse age on here it will be interesting to hear the things that have remained with you forever in the sporting world either good or bad. There are 4 for me. In no particular order it is the radio commentary on 1500mw on a Saturday afternoon with the late greats of Peter Jones and Bryan Butler. I would often be outside in the freezing cold with a few mates listening to second half commentary on my transistor radio. Next was Wrestling at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon with Kent Walton commentating.If the weather was bad I would go and see my nan whilst waiting for the football results and she would go bananas watching the wrestling. I never had the heart to tell her it wasn't real. Thirdly it was the great era of boxing on ITV on a Saturday night with the Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson fights. They truly were warriors. Last and certainly not least was the Bradford fire. I was sitting there having my tea when suddenly live on TV is a man walking from the back of the stand completely on fire. It took me a while to get over that. Sport can be so great yet so tragic and these memories have always remained with me.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 20:14 - Jul 29 with 3280 viewsPique

One that is firmly ingrained on my brain is the 1988 Men's 100m final at the Seoul Olympics, in which Ben Jonson 'won' in a way that seemed utterly impossible in the pre-Usain Bolt era. And as it turned out, it was impossible, because he cheated. Carl Lewis won silver (later gold), Linford Christie bronze (later silver).
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 20:24 - Jul 29 with 3245 viewsFreddies_Ears

David Hemery, 400m hurdles, Mexico Olympics (1968), an early sporting memory.
My earliest football memory was Man City 1 Leicester 0, FACF 1969, the first game I watched on TV.
Cooper v Bugner, British Heavyweight Championship, buy I don't remember when it was.
Rugby League on Grandstand, Saturday afternoons - we weren't a football family!
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 20:45 - Jul 29 with 3220 viewsvilanovablue

Being at the Lord's test against Australia. I was sat in the Grandstand with my grandmother. We met my grandfather for lunch who was sat in the pavillion. The lawn just behind it. We didn't miss the final over before lunch as Emburey had an over. My Grandma said we better watch this and a wicket fell. Incidentally after Botham was sacked he went for a pint. In my dad's pub in Taunton. I was 11.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 21:16 - Jul 29 with 3167 viewsChurchman

Love the Peter Jones, Bryon Butler memory.

I’ll never forget being in Germany first time on my own abroad age 14 turning on my little red radio and hearing Peter Jones say ‘Welcome to World Service wherever you may be’. I can’t remember the game, but it didn’t matter. Home in a little red radio. Such a buzz.

Events? Being taken to the football for the first time by my grandad with my dad. I was bought a rosette, a programme and a pin badge. The ground looked like a cathedral. An eight year old was awestruck. February, the pitch looked like a green carpet. I was enthralled. The seats were comfy and I had the best view in the world - my grandad knew one of the directors so I suspect it was West Stand in the middle. Hooked.

Other stuff - my absolute sporting hero Muhammad Ali beating Foreman. It was during the night and when I heard in the morning on my little red radio, I couldn’t believe it.

For a bad memory, watching England lose to West Germany on a grainy black and white tv in 1970. We were so good and lost.

I loved the Teleprinter. It was like a hand chonking out the scores. If you scored 6 or 7 (I think) the score was repeated in brackets in a word 7 (seven). It always paused at the wrong moments. Grrrr.

Great memories
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 21:18]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 21:22 - Jul 29 with 3140 viewsThe_Snake

For me, and again in no order: Maradonna hand of god, Hillsborough, Bolton Play off semi final and the Mathie/Petta 5 0 Derby.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 21:31 - Jul 29 with 3095 viewsBarcaBlue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 20:14 - Jul 29 by Pique

One that is firmly ingrained on my brain is the 1988 Men's 100m final at the Seoul Olympics, in which Ben Jonson 'won' in a way that seemed utterly impossible in the pre-Usain Bolt era. And as it turned out, it was impossible, because he cheated. Carl Lewis won silver (later gold), Linford Christie bronze (later silver).

That's the one I would have chosen too. I remember seeing Jonson's bloodshot eyes popping out of his face after the race and didn't see another look like that til Maradona 6 years later.
1988 was a great Summer, spent in a village on the coast south of Granada. TWTD.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 21:35 - Jul 29 with 3088 viewsMeadowlark

1968 Cup Final.
The cup final is always (was always!) close to my birthday, and in 1968 a local cinema in Lowestoft installed three colour TVs and showed the first final in colour. As a birthday treat I got a ticket.

Little did I know that 10 years later I'd be at Wembley watching the real thing!
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 21:40 - Jul 29 with 3082 viewsDJR

Getting a lift from my dad after a game, and listening in the car to the football results on a transistor radio. We didn't always go to games together, and I often went with my friends rather than stand with him. He parked in the Central Accounting Office of Eastern Electricity in Russell Road, right next to the players' entrance to the ground. I think the original buildings are now gone, and the site is currently occupied by Suffolk County Council.

I also remember standing on the practice pitch side of the players' entrance trying to get autographs from visiting teams through the railings.

EDIT: this is the design of the original building, and if you hover over the photo you can just make out a floodlight, and the North and West Stands, at the left of the photo.

https://www.ribapix.com/central-accounting-office-for-eastern-electricity-russel
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 21:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:03 - Jul 29 with 3034 viewsKeno

1970 World Cup Final won by the 2nd best football team I’ve ever seen

Listening to Ipswich European away nights on MW Radio

The Coe/Ovett races we something to watch

Wiggins winning the Tour de France

And that feeling when Hirst scored at Barnsley, it was oh …tremendous

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:13 - Jul 29 with 3021 viewsBasingstokeBlue

0:48 .. 1:14

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:17 - Jul 29 with 3002 viewsbluelagos

For me the radio 2 evenings with Peter Jones and Bryon Buttler commentating. The midweek show would start at 8pm but start with the news.

Then at 2 mins past (17 mins after kick off) the anchor would say "We are going to xyz where there has been some action". You hoped it was Portman Rd but it was often Anfield or Pittordrie.

The action was nearly always a goal from the opening 15 mins and would be followed by the commentator summarising the opening quarter of an hour. Then all the other matches would have a summary.

The last 10 mins of a first half would then be played live and the second half too (with updates on the other matches)

These were the days I fell in love with the Towen, listening to the European games on radio 2 and watching the Motd and Big Match highlights at the weekend.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:25 - Jul 29 with 3002 viewsDaninthecampo

I have very strong memories and probably my first memories of sport on TV was the LA Olympics in 84, Carl Lewis 4 golds, Coe vs Cram, zola budd plus Torvil and Dean Bolero later that year at the winter Olympics
86 world cup hand of god etc
Bradford, Hysel and Hillsborough i remember seeing them all unfold on tv.
Having seen lots of international football,cricket
rugby and one off big events like NFL playoffs etc strangely one of the best sporting memories I've seen live that will always stick with me is seeing GB win Gold at the team dressage at london 2012. I only went for my wife as not a horsey person but the skill and absolute silent tension during each test was comparable to a world cup penalty shootout!
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 22:27]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:30 - Jul 29 with 2963 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

A key part of my sporting memory

And I will never forget

"Oh my god! He's won the title back at 32!"

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:46 - Jul 29 with 2937 viewsPerublue

I was without a doubt to me a latecomer to following sport with my age,abilty at various and the huge opportunity to watch many events live with my dads contacts and job and where we lived....when i finally let myself into the World of wonder that is sport maybe as a way to get close to dad .. I really got into it.
The death of Billy Sanders and how I found out and it being so local/close too.. really hit me like very few deaths ever have since..family and friends included.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:05 - Jul 29 with 2908 viewsPerublue

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 22:46 - Jul 29 by Perublue

I was without a doubt to me a latecomer to following sport with my age,abilty at various and the huge opportunity to watch many events live with my dads contacts and job and where we lived....when i finally let myself into the World of wonder that is sport maybe as a way to get close to dad .. I really got into it.
The death of Billy Sanders and how I found out and it being so local/close too.. really hit me like very few deaths ever have since..family and friends included.

Equally my shared passion of Cricket with my dad totally vanished when he passed..a decade later this Ashes series and nothing before reignited it.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:06 - Jul 29 with 2903 viewsCBBlue

Torvill & Dean's Bolaro (somewhat tarnished now by Dancing On Ice every year),

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics, actually, I'd add in the 2012 Opening Ceremony as an amazing sporting memory too.

The 1990 World Cup - wasn't interested in football and as a 14 year old girl initially started watching it as my friend said some of the Italian players were fit Ended up watching every game and even became an expert in the offside rule! Then went to my first ever live game the following season (at Portman Road obvs).

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:32 - Jul 29 with 2866 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:45 - Jul 29 with 2810 viewsChurchman

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:06 - Jul 29 by CBBlue

Torvill & Dean's Bolaro (somewhat tarnished now by Dancing On Ice every year),

Super Saturday at the 2012 Olympics, actually, I'd add in the 2012 Opening Ceremony as an amazing sporting memory too.

The 1990 World Cup - wasn't interested in football and as a 14 year old girl initially started watching it as my friend said some of the Italian players were fit Ended up watching every game and even became an expert in the offside rule! Then went to my first ever live game the following season (at Portman Road obvs).

In 2012 a few days before the games, a friend of Mrs Cs told her she had a couple of tickets she couldn’t use for the last dress rehearsal for the Opening Ceremony. Mrs C rang me and said ‘fancy it?’. The head said watching that excruciating cr@p? No. The mouth said yes.

So, on the day I had a few beers with my chum before heading to Kings X to meet her. We took the Javelin train to Stratford thinking however awful, it’s good practice for the following Friday as we had ballot tickets for the first evening of the Athletics.

Through security we went. A limited mooch as most of the Olympic Park was still being worked on. A beer, bit of junk food and ‘oh well, let’s face up to the horror’.

We sat down and this unassuming ginger bloke on a stool with a guitar was singing away. I laughed and thought ‘beam me up!’. Then I thought oh, he’s actually pretty good. Doubt he will make it, but good on him. It was a nobody called Ed Sheeran. Whatever happened to him?

So Danny Boyle then came on and said what was going to happen. Bits would be missed out but the show was a dress rehearsal and a performance for the 60k in the stadium. I yawned and looked at the watch.

It started with a feeble pastoral scene. Oh god thought I. And then it really began. Nothing prepared for the sight and sound of the Industrial Rev section after Branagh said his bit. You could feel the drumming through your feet and the rings thing that became iconic. Astonishing. It finished for us at the end of the Emile Sande bit and as we left you could hear the music ringing out for the athletes entrance.

As we happily queued to get on the train, the buzz in the crowd was hard to describe. Mrs C and I agreed ‘we are going to do this’. And we did. We were told not to tell people about it and actually I didn’t. I just said if you can, watch it. It didn’t disappoint.

We watched the athletics just over a week later - the least eventful evening but we didn’t care. A good lunch in London, an afternoon in the Olympic Park with 250k happy people from all over the world. What an experience. Loved it.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 23:46]
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 23:57 - Jul 29 with 2792 viewsEatonBlue

The salt buckets incident in 1964-65. Town 3 Norwich 0
Being at Wembley in 1978 with my Dad.
Being at Wembley in 2000 with my Son.
Seeing my daughter compete in equestrian events.
Running the London Marathon four times.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 00:11 - Jul 30 with 2760 viewsApollo11

What a great thread. So interesting to read the posts on this

Aside from itfc which is a post all of its own...

World Cup 82, rushing home from school to watch matches, the great Brazil team of Zico, England with the Ipswich players, the Tardelli scream

World Cup 86 and 90, growing up in Glasgow as an England fan, watching those games on TV with my mates who wanted us to lose. The drama and heartbreak of Turin

Euro 96 the second summer of Britpop and the near glory of that summer. Euro 2021...the joy of the run to get final as we came out of covid, the heartbreak of penalties

World Cup 2018, after giving up on England , Southgate made us believe again.

Formula 1 - Sunday afternoons wanting Mansell to win, but knowing Senna and Prost were geniuses. Early mornings watching Damon coming so close in 94 and then getting it done in 96. The tragedy of Sennas death at Imola in 94. Screaming at the TV as Lewis took Glock to win in at the last corner in Brazil 2008, the joy of Jenson the year after. Lewis v Max 2021 will never be forgotten, for all the right and wrong reasons .

Football generally - so many, but Spurs v ManCity 81 replay, Arsenal beating Liverpool 1989, Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 in 96, Man U beating Bayern in 1999, Liverpool in Istanbul, Leicester winning the PL. There are so many more.

Other sports - Coe v Ovett, Carl Lewis in 84, the Ben Johnson 100 metres, Linford and Sally in 92, 2012 Olympics as a thing, Eubank v Benn v Watson, Andy Murray winning Wimbledon, Usain Bolt in 2008, Eddie the Eagle 1988

Special memory also for watching Football Italia on Sunday afternoons (with Gazetta on Saturday mornings) with my Dad in the 90s. Glory years of Serie A and the genius of James Richardson.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 00:35 - Jul 30 with 2707 viewsMattinLondon

So many sporting memories to choose from.

In terms of football - but not ITFC.

1. England v Argentina 1998. Becks being sent off, Campbell thinking he scored but the Argentinians nearly scoring straight after with half the England team off a the pitch.

2. Brazil losing 7-1 to Germany. That was a genuine WTF is happening moment.

But the memory that lingers on and which I still cannot believe was during the England v Germany Euro 96 semi. Gazza’s outstretched leg failing to touch into an empty net. How the hell did that not end up in the back of the net.

Away from football - during the Barcelona olympics. Derek Redmund being injured but then his dad ran on to the track to help him complete the race.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 02:10 - Jul 30 with 2665 viewswischip

Here's 3 childhood memories for you.
1. Watching Alex Higgins playing snooker 3 times faster than any other player.
2. My dad saying East Fife 4 Forfar 4 every Saturday during the Scottish final scores
3. Kendo Nagasaki taking his mask off on the wrestling.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 07:11 - Jul 30 with 2387 viewsiamatractorboy

This feels like a selfish one as I don't think anyone else has come at the question from this angle.... but I will never forget the first goal I ever scored for Claydon Under 11s. I'd played football for years as a schoolkid (jumpers for goalposts isn't it etc etc) but never for a proper, organised side until then. Hitting the back of the net for that first goal was genuinely thrilling and I will never forget that.

I could walk to the home matches but my mum and dad used to lift me to the away games. Neither of them ever liked football if truth be told but they were always there to do that for me. And now I am hungover on Sunday morning and choking up.
Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 07:23 - Jul 30 with 2363 viewsPendejo

Earliest / most impact?

Football
My dad played Saturday and Sunday, so that (& cricket) involved driving around Ipswich / Suffolk, playing with the other kids, then sitting in the car while the dads went to the pub often singing "Lily the Pink".
At Home International time remember my dad's friends watching together (2 Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman - there must be a joke in there somewhere)
But first non-Ipswich match I remember was 77 Cup Final Liverpool 1 Manure 2

Non-Football
Ali beating Leon Spinks to regain WH title 1978 (meeting Ali LA 1981)
Olympics 1980 Moscow because of the politics, Alan Wells, Daley Thompson
Botham Ashes
Mansell's blow out 86?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Sporting memories ingrained in your mind on 08:02 - Jul 30 with 2307 viewsnorfsufblue

Sportsnight with Coleman/ Question of sport
1978 Cup semifinal at Highbury
Playing at Portman Rd in a soccer aid charity match 2001 shortly after my youngest was born
England v Brazil and England v West Germany on colour TV!

Special mention for 1969 cup final, City v Leicester ( first I remember watchjng) and 1966 WC Final because my Dad wouldn't come out in the garden to play footie with me for some reason!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024