Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? 19:47 - Jul 22 with 6090 viewsGlasgowBlue

Mrs GB is dragging my aged legs up there next week. on a scale of 1-10, how hard was it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:18 - Jul 22 with 4141 viewsSwansea_Blue

Worst of the 3 peaks imo, but that’s because we started off at about 3 am after sod all sleep on the way down from Ben Nevis, so that’s never going to be good. It depends which route you take. Some are a bit rocky and up scree gulleys. You’re a runner or not too distant runner aren’t you? You a should be fine with any route. It’s more of an almost scramble nearer the top rather than a simple walking path like Nevis.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:20 - Jul 22 with 4134 viewsitfcst

If you’ve climbed Ben Nevis or Snowdon before then it’s easier. It’s the lowest of the three, maybe marginally tricker to climb than Snowdon but much quicker than Ben Nevis.

I’ve been up and down in about 3 hours including a few stops on the way for photos etc. Just go at your own pace, I always have it in my head to “run my own race” and not worry about what other people are doing.

www.ASSE-kids.fr
Poll: Which bin do cats go in?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:22 - Jul 22 with 4128 viewskiwiblue

Not a hard walk just needs working at, start early if it is hot. probably my most enjoyable of all the Woodcock Pillings ( a series of all the peaks over 2750 feet named after the inaugural summits experience we did a while ago in a full on couple of weeks where we did all the summits over 2750 feet some 3 times...)
Went via Rakes Progress and Lords Rake and the final gully plus
the ridge walk is amazing for the views I was an unfit 45 year old at the start of the trip but 14 days sorted me out for the next 10 years and some serious alpine stuff.
Enjoy and buy a remembrance Wainwright guide as a reminder.
Let me know how you get on and place a couple of rocks on the summit to mark it and us please
David

[Post edited 22 Jul 2023 20:30]
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:29 - Jul 22 with 4082 viewsKeno

Have you done any of the munro’s?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:33 - Jul 22 with 4055 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:20 - Jul 22 by itfcst

If you’ve climbed Ben Nevis or Snowdon before then it’s easier. It’s the lowest of the three, maybe marginally tricker to climb than Snowdon but much quicker than Ben Nevis.

I’ve been up and down in about 3 hours including a few stops on the way for photos etc. Just go at your own pace, I always have it in my head to “run my own race” and not worry about what other people are doing.

That’s the one. Shorter than both Snowdon and especially Nevis, but a bit more technical so slower going. And yep, always just do your own thing at your own pace.

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:33 - Jul 22 with 4058 viewskiwiblue

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:29 - Jul 22 by Keno

Yes but only 12 or so as a long way from Suffolk
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:38 - Jul 22 with 4039 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Depends how heavy your handbag is GB.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:48 - Jul 22 with 4012 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Sarah. Her older sister was very nice too.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:53 - Jul 22 with 4001 viewsjontysnut

I think a few people did Matt Munroe
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:56 - Jul 22 with 3990 viewsKingsCrossBlue

I’d give it a 3 although maybe generous as it’s not too bad at all if you are reasonably fit. Weather is the biggest factor and that really will determine your overall experience.

I’ve been up in T shirt with spliff and wondered why I brought a heavy bag of equipment with me (the waterproofs rather than the hash). I’ve never been hugely fit, but I had been at altitude prior - so I was cheating a bit. My brother went up in worse weather and absolutely hated it, saying it was one of his worst day’s ever.

Be sensible with what you take and make sure you’ve decent footwear. The amount of idiots that walk in trainers is astonishing.

It’s a stunning climb though. Probably my favourite in the UK for pictures.

Have fun!
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 21:03 - Jul 22 with 3959 viewsPlums

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 20:56 - Jul 22 by KingsCrossBlue

I’d give it a 3 although maybe generous as it’s not too bad at all if you are reasonably fit. Weather is the biggest factor and that really will determine your overall experience.

I’ve been up in T shirt with spliff and wondered why I brought a heavy bag of equipment with me (the waterproofs rather than the hash). I’ve never been hugely fit, but I had been at altitude prior - so I was cheating a bit. My brother went up in worse weather and absolutely hated it, saying it was one of his worst day’s ever.

Be sensible with what you take and make sure you’ve decent footwear. The amount of idiots that walk in trainers is astonishing.

It’s a stunning climb though. Probably my favourite in the UK for pictures.

Have fun!

This. It's an easy place to set off in shorts and t shirt and find yourself in fog and hail. Big stairs followed by scree would be my summary.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 21:28 - Jul 22 with 3924 viewsthe_toff

Yes but ages ago when it was way less busy. The biggest hurdle is other people.

6/10
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 22:05 - Jul 22 with 3862 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 21:28 - Jul 22 by the_toff

Yes but ages ago when it was way less busy. The biggest hurdle is other people.

6/10

I highly recommend a 3 am start to get rid of that problem!

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 22:11 - Jul 22 with 3848 viewsblue62

Will let you know, Im heading there tomorrow and climbing it on Monday.
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 22:12 - Jul 22 with 3837 viewsFixed_It

Don't tell him, Pike!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 22:19 - Jul 22 with 3823 viewsVic

8/10.

I did it a few years back - in 30 degrees. It was hard! And we ran out of water. Came down by the corridor route late evening and got flummoxed by Bad Step! Didn’t know about it and it seemed like the path just disappeared!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 22:19 - Jul 22 with 3823 viewsWeWereZombies

I was walking to Scafell and was able to take advantage of a rope that someone had set up to get down the ten foot rock wall that separates it from Scafell Pike so my experience is not that valid as Scafell is mainly a long grassy walk from the southern approach (to the best of my memory, this was twenty three years ago), decent Wainwright on a sunny day. My sixty eight year old legs have made it up Ben Nevis and Bynack More so far this year but they are reasonably practised so if you have the time I would recommend some of the lower fells as preparation. Haystacks was Wainwright's favourite and an interesting top to scout around, for example.

Compared to some of the wild and woolly stuff I get up to in Scotland I would rate it just 6/10.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 22:46 - Jul 22 with 3785 viewskesblue

Tbh not much harder than bishop's hill
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 23:33 - Jul 22 with 3726 viewsGuthrum

Didn't find it too hard, but then I had camped on the hills nearby, rather than climbing from the bottom. Also was younger and fitter then.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 07:56 - Jul 23 with 3571 viewsGlasgowBlue

Thanks for all of the replies. I’m pretty fit for my age. I’m an experienced middle/long distance runner but my knees have gone and I really feel it with inclines. I’ve done a few munros and Scafell Pike seems a similar height to Ben Lomond.

My Mrs is getting into climbing and is dragging me along with her. In reality, I’d just run and leave the climbing/hiking alone for the sake of my knees. Going away for a weekend used to be eating, drinking and sightseeing, but as we are getting older we seem to be getting more active. She’s gone and booked a weekend in a snowdon next month since my op.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 08:04 - Jul 23 with 3518 viewsbluelagos

Only tip is to fully stretch yer quads before you start.

When I did Snowdon I just climbed it. Felt fine if a bit tired when done. But the next day I couldn't use the stairs except on my bum.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 09:05 - Jul 23 with 3415 viewshomer_123

Yes, not overly.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 13:14 - Jul 23 with 3264 viewsronnyd

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 08:04 - Jul 23 by bluelagos

Only tip is to fully stretch yer quads before you start.

When I did Snowdon I just climbed it. Felt fine if a bit tired when done. But the next day I couldn't use the stairs except on my bum.

I had no problem doing Snowden, (Yr Wyddra) when i went up. There again, it was on the train. Foggy as hell on the top unfortunately.
Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 13:20 - Jul 23 with 3266 viewsblueasfook

Done Scafell a few times in my youth. Most start from Wasdale and is the easiest route up. If you want to avoid the crowds, go up from Eskdale. Longer route but you'll find it much quieter.

If you want something tricky, try Striding Edge!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 14:09 - Jul 23 with 3188 viewsGuthrum

Has anyone on here climbed Scafell Pike? on 07:56 - Jul 23 by GlasgowBlue

Thanks for all of the replies. I’m pretty fit for my age. I’m an experienced middle/long distance runner but my knees have gone and I really feel it with inclines. I’ve done a few munros and Scafell Pike seems a similar height to Ben Lomond.

My Mrs is getting into climbing and is dragging me along with her. In reality, I’d just run and leave the climbing/hiking alone for the sake of my knees. Going away for a weekend used to be eating, drinking and sightseeing, but as we are getting older we seem to be getting more active. She’s gone and booked a weekend in a snowdon next month since my op.

Snowdon you'll be fine. Last time I went there was a huge queue at the bottom of the Pyg Track/Miners Path. So you may not even make it onto the mountain.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024