Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2nd test Day three. 10:02 - Jun 30 with 2361 viewsSaleAway

Don't think he's going to be playing for a bit

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

2nd test Day three. on 10:05 - Jun 30 with 1430 viewsZx1988

Could well be the McGrath moment of this series.

Assuming we've got the irresponsibility against the short ball out of our system now, I'm not too disappointed with us resuming on 278/4. Hopefully a reasonable launchpad to try and overtake the Aussies by mid-afternoon.

Perhaps a declaration if we get to, say, 50 ahead?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

2nd test Day three. on 10:15 - Jun 30 with 1378 viewsSaleAway

2nd test Day three. on 10:05 - Jun 30 by Zx1988

Could well be the McGrath moment of this series.

Assuming we've got the irresponsibility against the short ball out of our system now, I'm not too disappointed with us resuming on 278/4. Hopefully a reasonable launchpad to try and overtake the Aussies by mid-afternoon.

Perhaps a declaration if we get to, say, 50 ahead?

I see absolutely no value in a declaration, unless conditions close in and it looks like the ball will swing... there's 3 days left... I'd rather see us bat big and put them in with as big a deficit as possible.

2nd test Day three. on 10:21 - Jun 30 with 1351 viewsZx1988

2nd test Day three. on 10:15 - Jun 30 by SaleAway

I see absolutely no value in a declaration, unless conditions close in and it looks like the ball will swing... there's 3 days left... I'd rather see us bat big and put them in with as big a deficit as possible.

I agree with you on that. I just fear that Stokes and McCullum will take a different view.

2nd test Day three. on 10:58 - Jun 30 with 1296 viewsgainsboroughblue

2nd test Day three. on 10:21 - Jun 30 by Zx1988

I agree with you on that. I just fear that Stokes and McCullum will take a different view.

Just bat and bat and bat. I get what Stokes and McCullum are doing but I think sometimes they try to be too zany. It's the Aussies, bury them.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

2nd test Day three. on 11:03 - Jun 30 with 1282 viewsthe_toff

Good start.
2nd test Day three. on 11:03 - Jun 30 with 1281 viewsSaleAway

2nd test Day three. on 10:58 - Jun 30 by gainsboroughblue

Just bat and bat and bat. I get what Stokes and McCullum are doing but I think sometimes they try to be too zany. It's the Aussies, bury them.

not sure declarations are going to be the issue....

2nd test Day three. on 11:04 - Jun 30 with 1276 viewsSteve_M

Good start....

Not going for a big shot at least this time, looked like Stokes misread the ball a bit, that or it was too good for him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

2nd test Day three. on 11:05 - Jun 30 with 1268 viewsSwansea_Blue

Must have left in a hurry, as he didn't even have time to put both socks on.

I can't open the tweet - twitter seem to have stopped people without accounts browsing, which is probably a good thing for me as it'll stop me wasting as much time. Just this place as a distraction now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

2nd test Day three. on 11:08 - Jun 30 with 1244 viewsgainsboroughblue

2nd test Day three. on 11:04 - Jun 30 by Steve_M

Good start....

Not going for a big shot at least this time, looked like Stokes misread the ball a bit, that or it was too good for him.

Superb catch again. The Aussies are trouncing us when it comes to catching and fielding.

2nd test Day three. on 11:09 - Jun 30 with 1240 viewsthe_toff

Agreed. We need Brook and Bairstow to get us well into the 300's and ideally get to at least parity for 7 or 8, at which point we can start swinging. 20 or 30 runs might make the difference, as it might've in the 1st test.
2nd test Day three. on 11:11 - Jun 30 with 1227 viewsgainsboroughblue

2nd test Day three. on 11:09 - Jun 30 by the_toff

Agreed. We need Brook and Bairstow to get us well into the 300's and ideally get to at least parity for 7 or 8, at which point we can start swinging. 20 or 30 runs might make the difference, as it might've in the 1st test.

This is what makes that hour yesterday all the frustrating. You don't mind getting out to a wonderball or catch but when you've already handed them three or four gimmies. .

2nd test Day three. on 11:13 - Jun 30 with 1222 viewsthe_toff

2nd test Day three. on 11:11 - Jun 30 by gainsboroughblue

This is what makes that hour yesterday all the frustrating. You don't mind getting out to a wonderball or catch but when you've already handed them three or four gimmies. .

Yeah, utterly stupid wickets to give away. Just felt like we lost our heads completely.

Still well in it though, just need to hit reset now and Bairstow needs to get his eye in. Century from Brook would be lovely.
2nd test Day three. on 11:16 - Jun 30 with 1216 viewsSwansea_Blue

great start

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

2nd test Day three. on 11:27 - Jun 30 with 1189 viewsbluewein

2nd test Day three. on 11:04 - Jun 30 by Steve_M

Good start....

Just too good a ball wasn't it...?

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

2nd test Day three. on 11:38 - Jun 30 with 1168 viewsSteve_M

2nd test Day three. on 11:27 - Jun 30 by bluewein

Just too good a ball wasn't it...?

Yeah, having seen it several more times since.

And then Brook does that, another utterly sh1t wicket given away. Four wickets to the short ball, need to fking wise up a bit here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

2nd test Day three. on 11:38 - Jun 30 with 1166 viewsthe_toff

Balls. Awful shot that.
2nd test Day three. on 11:39 - Jun 30 with 1161 viewsSaleAway

I'm out, just like Harry Brook

Not interested in watching completely brainless cricket.

2nd test Day three. on 11:39 - Jun 30 with 1160 viewsZx1988

2nd test Day three. on 11:38 - Jun 30 by the_toff

Balls. Awful shot that.

Utterly predictable.

If the Aussies just bowl short stuff to us in the second innings, they'll have us out for double figures within ten overs.

2nd test Day three. on 11:40 - Jun 30 with 1153 viewsStokieBlue

2nd test Day three. on 11:38 - Jun 30 by Steve_M

Yeah, having seen it several more times since.

And then Brook does that, another utterly sh1t wicket given away. Four wickets to the short ball, need to fking wise up a bit here.

It's like they are at school and have been double-dared to take on the short ball.

Mindless.

The Guardian live blog has summed it up nicely:

"That is some of the stupidest cricket I’ve ever seen."

SB
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 11:43]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

2nd test Day three. on 11:40 - Jun 30 with 1153 viewsthe_toff

2nd test Day three. on 11:39 - Jun 30 by Zx1988

Utterly predictable.

If the Aussies just bowl short stuff to us in the second innings, they'll have us out for double figures within ten overs.

So so poor.

Stokes went to a hell of a ball, but that was another really cheap wicket. Idiotic shot.
2nd test Day three. on 11:42 - Jun 30 with 1142 viewsgainsboroughblue

2nd test Day three. on 11:39 - Jun 30 by Zx1988

Utterly predictable.

We've gone from looking in total control at 180-1 to looking at a possible deficit of 100 while their best bowler is out if the match.

Absolute village and waste of two test matches.

2nd test Day three. on 11:43 - Jun 30 with 1121 viewsthe_toff

2nd test Day three. on 11:42 - Jun 30 by gainsboroughblue

We've gone from looking in total control at 180-1 to looking at a possible deficit of 100 while their best bowler is out if the match.

Absolute village and waste of two test matches.

Unacceptable really. Simply not good enough, even more frustrating today to be honest because we've at least had time to go away and reflect on yesterday. To come back out today and lose a wicket like that is even more ridiculous.
2nd test Day three. on 11:43 - Jun 30 with 1121 viewsZx1988

2nd test Day three. on 11:40 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

It's like they are at school and have been double-dared to take on the short ball.

Mindless.

The Guardian live blog has summed it up nicely:

"That is some of the stupidest cricket I’ve ever seen."

SB
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 11:43]

If they don't go for it, the Aussies won't bowl it as it simply becomes a waste of a ball.

But no, throwing away wickets in the name of entertainment seems to take priority over pragmatic attacking cricket that results in posting a first innings lead.

2nd test Day three. on 11:54 - Jun 30 with 1081 viewsgordon

2nd test Day three. on 11:43 - Jun 30 by Zx1988

If they don't go for it, the Aussies won't bowl it as it simply becomes a waste of a ball.

But no, throwing away wickets in the name of entertainment seems to take priority over pragmatic attacking cricket that results in posting a first innings lead.

Yup - it's so brainless from England - if they just get out the way of every short ball, the bowlers aren't going to keep putting the extra effort in every ball to see it thud into the keepers hands, they'll try something else.

Just said in the commentary - England average 17 runs per wicket (4 wickets) against short-pitched bowling, and more than 100 runs per wicket (2 wickets) against fuller pitched bowling.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2023 11:57]
2nd test Day three. on 12:02 - Jun 30 with 1048 viewsSamuelowen88

I would assume Australia, have a decent back up spinner? Should Lyon be out of the rest of the series.

Poll: England v Wales Score

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024