Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second club? 12:18 - Jun 8 with 14951 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Just wondering if anyone here actively supports a second club? I've been following the fortunes of Sheffield FC last couple of seasons (worlds oldest club) ...in Northern Premier East Division...

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:33 - Jun 9 with 2494 viewsWeWereZombies

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:30 - Jun 9 by Yppswyche

Yep, they are my secret second team too, up the ?s...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Second club? on 20:20 - Jun 9 with 2378 viewsBonchosBicycle

I try to pop down to Erith & Belvedere when I'm back in the UK. They were my local non-league as a kid and me and my Everton mate used to walk down there Saturdays. Glad to see them doing well these days. As for pro clubs, I have more affection for some than others but wouldn't say I support anyone other than Town.
Second club? on 20:34 - Jun 9 with 2359 viewsitfcsuth

Town is always my numero uno.

However, my closest friend plays League 1 football so have followed which ever team he has played at - ironically at Plymouth last season which made it a bizarre one.

No one really in England otherwise but watch a lot of football on the continent and have a couple of teams I like to follow:
- RB Salzburg
- RB Leipzig
- Bodo/Glimt
Second club? on 20:37 - Jun 9 with 2348 viewsnoggin

Second club? on 20:34 - Jun 9 by itfcsuth

Town is always my numero uno.

However, my closest friend plays League 1 football so have followed which ever team he has played at - ironically at Plymouth last season which made it a bizarre one.

No one really in England otherwise but watch a lot of football on the continent and have a couple of teams I like to follow:
- RB Salzburg
- RB Leipzig
- Bodo/Glimt

"- Bodo/Glimt"

Glory hunter. Heia Start!!

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Second club? on 20:42 - Jun 9 with 2343 viewsMullet

I do not understand the concept in any way shape or form.

Each to their own, but this isn't like popping to Sainsburys when Tesco isn't convenient. If it's not Ipswich I'm only interested in seeing people fail generally speaking.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Second club? on 21:26 - Jun 9 with 2318 viewsDJR

Second club? on 22:05 - Jun 8 by lizzibee

I'll admit I do. I went to Uni in south London in the early 90's and couldn't get back to Ipswich for games as often as I liked so walked the ten minutes to watch Millwall and followed ever since. Same, but slightly lesser for Newcastle when I studied there. Yes, I have their shirt but when it comes to the two teams playing its Ipswich every day but really want Millwall to do well also. A fantastic club

I have a soft spot for clubs where, or near where, I have lived or studied. One of those is Millwall, along with Leeds and Brighton. And because my in-laws are Evertonians, I also like to see them do well. But I wouldn't say I support them.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2023 21:27]
Second club? on 23:07 - Jun 9 with 2267 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Nope

Poll: would you rather

Second club? on 08:05 - Jun 10 with 2200 viewsjontysnut

Second club? on 12:47 - Jun 8 by hoppy

Also Ipswich Wanderers for me - involved on the committee, designed the matchday programmes for the last couple of seasons, help out as a volunteer on matchday (when Towen are away, but not if fixtures clash with ITFC also at home!) and sponsor the first team away kit and a couple of the younger age group kits.

Hopefully we'll continue to have a good go at Step 4 this year as the last couple of seasons have been very good.

Well done. And thanks. I've watched my local non league team for about 35 years. It wouldn't happen without volunteers, whether it's doing the programme, sitting on the turnstile, selling pies, fetching balls from gardens or actively running the club.
Login to get fewer ads

Second club? on 08:54 - Jun 10 with 2163 viewsbrogansnose

Second club? on 20:42 - Jun 9 by Mullet

I do not understand the concept in any way shape or form.

Each to their own, but this isn't like popping to Sainsburys when Tesco isn't convenient. If it's not Ipswich I'm only interested in seeing people fail generally speaking.

Never understood this.

I don't car what people do in their private lives but polyamory has no part in supporting a football team.
Second club? on 08:54 - Jun 10 with 2161 viewsEastAnglianBoy

Second club? on 08:05 - Jun 10 by jontysnut

Well done. And thanks. I've watched my local non league team for about 35 years. It wouldn't happen without volunteers, whether it's doing the programme, sitting on the turnstile, selling pies, fetching balls from gardens or actively running the club.

Wouldnt say second Club but quite like Glasgow Celtic.

Got family up in Scotland who are mad on the Hoops so been to Celtic Park a few times with them (including a couple of derbies against Rangers which are absolutely mental football occasions!).

Always enjoy a trip up the A1 to watch them even if the standard on the pitch sometimes leaves a bit to be desired..
[Post edited 10 Jun 2023 8:56]
Second club? on 08:58 - Jun 10 with 2154 viewsEastAnglianBoy

Damn. Didnt mean to quote in the previous post..
Second club? on 09:13 - Jun 10 with 2137 viewsMullet

Second club? on 08:54 - Jun 10 by brogansnose

Never understood this.

I don't car what people do in their private lives but polyamory has no part in supporting a football team.

Quite.

I'm worried about my boys as their local teams are non-league or United (not that location matters much to Mancs when it comes to being blue or red).

Kids today seem to think it's fine to have "a Prem team" too - we've failed as a nation.

Second club? on 09:59 - Jun 10 with 2094 viewsParisBlue

Horsham. Was an early member of the Lardy Boys.

#NoSurrenderToTheLowFatSpread

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mirror-northern-ireland/20211106/2836224683

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Second club? on 12:09 - Jun 10 with 2038 viewsWeWereZombies

Second club? on 08:54 - Jun 10 by brogansnose

Never understood this.

I have an inkling that I was travelling in a polyamorous manner for a week earlier this year and very sweet it was too...so don't knock it until you have tried it.

And as far as Mullet's allegation that a second team is a new thing I have to refute that as almost the entire class I was in at Northgate fifty five years ago had a second team, despite Town being First Division and stonkingly good. We would never have had anything to fight about if we all supported the same set of clubs.

Second club? on 12:45 - Jun 10 with 2000 viewsfloridablue

Second club? on 12:09 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

I have an inkling that I was travelling in a polyamorous manner for a week earlier this year and very sweet it was too...so don't knock it until you have tried it.

And as far as Mullet's allegation that a second team is a new thing I have to refute that as almost the entire class I was in at Northgate fifty five years ago had a second team, despite Town being First Division and stonkingly good. We would never have had anything to fight about if we all supported the same set of clubs.

This made me think back 55 plus years ago (66/67) when a group of school mates formed a Subbuteo league. We were all PR regulars and a few away trips during our title winning season, yet not one of us chose Town as 'our' team. I can still vividly remember who had what teams and I chose Chelsea. All living close to the town centre we took it in turns to host the games ..... happy times!
Second club? on 12:52 - Jun 10 with 1986 viewsBarcaBlue

I left Northgate early 80s and nobody I knew had a second team, must have been a short lived blip.
Second club? on 13:38 - Jun 10 with 1937 viewsJuggsy

Having lived in the NE for 20 years I've been to a lot more Newcastle games than I have Ipswich.

Happy to belt out the Toon, Toon Black and White Army with the locals and this season has been a great atmosphere.

However, nver a contest for me - every Saturday there is only one game you'll find me watching on iFollow and when we do get to the Prem you'll only find me in the away end at St James'!
Second club? on 15:06 - Jun 10 with 1898 viewsMullet

There was no allegation, I was talking about the modern phenomena of having a Prem club. People supporting others and being glory hunters is one thing, but dual-club loyalties etc. No nay never innit.

Second club? on 15:23 - Jun 10 with 1878 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Second club? on 12:25 - Jun 8 by J2BLUE

Each to their own but I find it odd to be honest with a couple of exceptions.

Less odd if you support Town but have lived somewhere else for a while and take an interest in the local club. Same if people take an interest in local non league teams. A random second team is odd to me though.

I have followed/supported Ipswich as a season ticket holder for 14 years and lived in Suffolk for 10 years before that without paying much attention to them. Before that, due to where I was living at the time I have followed/supported Blackburn and Huddersfield but now pay them no attention at all.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Second club? on 16:52 - Jun 10 with 1833 viewstextbackup

Town

Then anyone playing Norwich

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Second club? on 17:16 - Jun 10 with 1824 viewsjontysnut

Second club? on 09:13 - Jun 10 by Mullet

Quite.

I'm worried about my boys as their local teams are non-league or United (not that location matters much to Mancs when it comes to being blue or red).

Kids today seem to think it's fine to have "a Prem team" too - we've failed as a nation.

My mate in his late 70s is a massive Man City fan and in the 60s he and his pals would sometimes go to United if City were away mainly for something to do - that's when you could just turn up. Normal thing. Very much not a second club though!
Second club? on 17:57 - Jun 10 with 1808 viewsitfcsuth

Second club? on 20:37 - Jun 9 by noggin

"- Bodo/Glimt"

Glory hunter. Heia Start!!

Very true.

Only started keeping an eye on them after they beat Mourinho's Roma 6-1. They do play some fluid football and was no surprise to see them double Celtic last year.

Have a brilliant little footballer there at the moment called Hugo Vetlesen or could go on to do quite well in a bigger league when he makes a move.
Second club? on 18:00 - Jun 10 with 1807 viewsWeWereZombies

Second club? on 12:52 - Jun 10 by BarcaBlue

I left Northgate early 80s and nobody I knew had a second team, must have been a short lived blip.

Might just have been my class, we were well known throughout the school for finding ways to have a bit of fun. And quite a mixed bunch, the only black kid at the time, the only Asian kid (although he was called John Smith...draw your own conclusions), a lad with quite a Jewish surname who came in one day and declared himself to be of the faith and then came in the next day and said his parents had only told him that as a 'joke' (verbal antisemitism was, if anything, worse in those twenty five years after the war than it is now so I think this was a defensive move and perhaps on a suggestion from the school), lads who had previously lived in Newcastle, Sheffield, Leicester and the West Midlands as well as the ubiquitous London connections, a lad with a Greek mother. For my part both parents born in London but we had lived in Spain for a year or so. Quite an outward looking lot.

Second club? on 18:12 - Jun 10 with 1802 viewsVic

Bury Town - I was born near there and my grandad was captain many, many years ago. Kings Road was where I first saw ITFC. Was a friendly and all I remember is that Frank Brogan was playing. I have a feeling that Peter Morris had just signed as well.

Spurs - always had a soft spot for them as I love the brand of football they play. Plus I lived in Barnet for 10 years.

Col U - just because they are local

Can’t say I ‘support’ any of these as I never go, but I follow them and always watch out for the results.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Second club? on 19:58 - Jun 10 with 1753 viewsChondzoresk

I used to work in Portsmouth, subsequently worked with Pompey fans and took in several games in the 1990s. So, I always look at their results. Thankfully most of their fans are better than those that have posted here. Don’t tar them all as idiots.

As a side note they always welcomed me as a Town fan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024