Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we want to be in the Premiership? 13:24 - Jun 1 with 5765 viewsThisIsMyUsername

We probably do, but to me the Premiership has become a completely soulless money making machine. Everything seems geared to drain as many £ as possible out of those who want to follow it, and I'd hate to have to be a supporter of a Man City or a Chelsea, for example, and watch a team full of mercenaries who are earning in a week what most people earn in half a lifetime.

I don't really enjoy watching any Premiership stuff, even just highlights on MOTD.

From what I can recall from the last time we were there, it didn't seem to be that way. It still seemed like a load of solid blokes (the Keanes and Vieiras, for example) who'd happily play for free.

I worry that 'success' in the Premiership comes at the cost of some of the soul of a club.

Would ITFC have to 'sell out' within a few years after getting up there, if we wanted to be pushing towards the top of the table? Would we be any different somehow?

Would it be better somehow to be a consistent yo-yo team?

Maybe I'm talking rubbish simply because we've become used to being a Championship/League 1 club over the past 20 years.

Thoughts?
[Post edited 1 Jun 2023 13:26]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:28 - Jun 1 with 4318 viewsJ2BLUE

Oh course we do but the journey will likely be more fun than the destination. I'd happily settle for being a Prem/Championship yoyo club with a cup win in my life time. Would get us a season in Europe as well. That'd do me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:31 - Jun 1 with 4295 viewsJimmyJazz

Do any fans enjoy being a yo-yo club? Norwich fans certainly didn't/don't. The aim surely is to break the cycle and stay at the higher level. Otherwise it's one year of excitement (which probably becomes less exciting the more it's repeated) followed by one year of rubbish (with less and less optimism with repeats)

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:47 - Jun 1 with 4198 viewsBlueySwede

Absolutely yes.
While I can agree that the Premiership is a bit plastic and almost all about the money, to me competing football is about aiming as high as you can. And that is the Premier League.
To be honest, even at League one level footballs is not what it once was. It´s very much about how much money you have and resources these days.
Player and club loyalties are no more. Sad maybe, but it is what it is.
Personally, I would not want to miss out watching when we beat Liverpool, Arsenal and United at Portman Road in 2024/25. Man City will stuff us, though...
Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:49 - Jun 1 with 4183 viewshomer_123

Yes, you want to test yourself against the best but the journey is equally important.

Leicester have shown what is possible and I'm not even talking about a Prem title.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:53 - Jun 1 with 4149 viewsGavTWTD

I agree to an extent, but for me the aim is to improve on the last season each year. Play entertaining football, give big teams a bloody nose occasionally, some minor success in cups, and not worry too much about relegation. I think that's my aim anyway?

Speaking to a Southampton fan the other day and he was relieved to get relegated but I think that was because his club was in annual decline. With the sums involved there's no reason to do that if the club is well managed.

I think we're at the start of the right path but lots of crossroads along the way.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:54 - Jun 1 with 4136 viewsSuperblue95

I’m sure Leicester and Southampton enjoyed the last 10 years.

Once we avoid being like Palace who just seem to be permanently 12th with no excitement at all then it would be enjoyable. A couple of seasons challenging for Europe and some relegation battles, all while getting a win against a big club every now and then seems fun to me.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:56 - Jun 1 with 4106 viewsIllinoisblue

In the absence of a Nice League where we can play pleasing on the eye football and not worry about going up or down and just be content with our lot, the premier league will have to do.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 14:15 - Jun 1 with 4006 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:54 - Jun 1 by Superblue95

I’m sure Leicester and Southampton enjoyed the last 10 years.

Once we avoid being like Palace who just seem to be permanently 12th with no excitement at all then it would be enjoyable. A couple of seasons challenging for Europe and some relegation battles, all while getting a win against a big club every now and then seems fun to me.

Precisely.

For such a dark, soulless place, Leicester, Southampton and Leeds fans seemed very upset at the thought of spending just any time at all in the Championship

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 14:25 - Jun 1 with 3935 viewshype313

What, not wanting to watch your team get spanked every week by clubs that have more finances than most countries GDP?

What's not to like.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 14:28 - Jun 1 with 3908 viewsjayessess

Not sure it's a question of wanting to be in it or not. I just want us to win every week, do as well as we can in whatever league we're in.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 14:40 - Jun 1 with 3760 viewstextbackup

The alternative is ‘do we want to be in a league we spent 16 years and got so bored that L1 looked attractive’ (not to all I might add)

We as town fans have missed an entire generation, or two, of top level footballers playing at PR, that’s pretty sad.

Would love to see the biggest names down here and failing against McKennas Men

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 14:41 - Jun 1 with 3751 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 13:28 - Jun 1 by J2BLUE

Oh course we do but the journey will likely be more fun than the destination. I'd happily settle for being a Prem/Championship yoyo club with a cup win in my life time. Would get us a season in Europe as well. That'd do me.

Plus an FA cup and League cup win would be great. More chance of doing both if we are in the Premier league.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 14:52 - Jun 1 with 3676 viewsJackSted

My colleague is a Forest fan. Loved it when they were promoted, but within a few months of the Prem season starting he absolutely hated it, to the point where he didn't even care about the results because they wer playing so badly.

But obviously as soon as they confirmed survival he was back loving it again lol

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 15:10 - Jun 1 with 3602 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I guess we need to in order to achieve some kind of sustainability.

For me, the Premier League means no Ifollow, and tickets to the games will be like gold dust (and no doubt significantly more expensive). Given that it’s a spectator sport, being able to spectate LESS seems like a fairly significant downside!
Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 15:11 - Jun 1 with 3591 viewsTangledupin_Blue

The thing I don't like about PL is the Kick-off times. One week Saturday 5:30, the next week Monday 8pm etc. I like football on Saturday afternoon, 3pm.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 15:18 - Jun 1 with 3548 viewsArnieM

I think the PL is almost plastic. It’s in a bubble and almost unattainable to the normal
Fan, it’s that expensive . It’s great for the employees in the game. They’re all on the gravy train aren’t they. But it would surprise me if a lot of Town fans simply couldn’t afford the PL ticket prices . Sad state of affairs tbh.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 15:23 - Jun 1 with 3525 viewsnodge_blue

League one had a more genuine football feel to it. Less corporate, less touristy, less foreign owners in it for the glory and sports washing.

But what do you do?

I also hate hearing about the Arsenal centre half not being happy with a proposed 120k a week wages.

We moan at bankers and yet Carlton Palmer was saying he doesn't begrudge players earning those wages. Wages paid for by ever increasing tv deals funded by the poor punters paying. No wonder people are buying those sticks.

And ultimately most clubs our size don't survive long term in the PL.

But yes we have to want to get there otherwise what's the point?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:29 - Jun 1 with 3330 viewsbrazil1982

It has to be the aim of every club, to gain promotion.

However, I am not a fan of the PL. If Town were to go up, and stay for a couple of seasons, we would see a different manager every year, very expensive overseas players, and probably all overseas coaching staff. No more playing "our own" players from the academy as it's too risky. Look at most PL sides, hardly a home-grown among them, all ready-bought.

Tickets would be rare for supporters like me (I go to a number of away matches, not many home) for both home and away games.

It's not a money making league at all - the revenue pays for ever increasing player wages, with most clubs in a terrible financial pickle.
Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:40 - Jun 1 with 3263 viewsmonkeymagic

The PL is a circus, I’m really not that enthusiastic about Town being part of it. That said, I might well feel differently after 10 years of mid table mediocrity in the Championship!
Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:47 - Jun 1 with 3223 viewsvilanovablue

It is the Brighton/Brentford model we need to look at, I'd would happily be in their position in 5 to 10 years
Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:51 - Jun 1 with 3192 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends if you want to watch football at any time other than 3pm on Saturday.

Most of what you say Town have already become. The owners are intent on ‘maximising the customer experience’ and tens of millions of £ have been thrown at beating a couple of destitute clubs to promotion to the championship where there are perhaps a dozen yo-yo clubs

I doubt Ipswich can ever be a ‘Premiership Club’. Assuming they get promoted - payback time beckons - and the cost of staying up is unsustainable with the current ownership. The last two times saw Town up for 3 years then 2 years. If that pattern continued - it’s one year.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:51 - Jun 1 with 3198 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:47 - Jun 1 by vilanovablue

It is the Brighton/Brentford model we need to look at, I'd would happily be in their position in 5 to 10 years

Would we trust GC and MA to do their best to maintain the current model/ethos/philosophy etc that is in the club, and the relationship with the fans and community etc, given that they were the ones to implement it, and obviously are passionate about it being that way?

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:51 - Jun 1 with 3193 viewswkj

On a loosely related thought - I remember the day we got relegated that on one of the highlights show the commentated said "They'll be back"

That moment still haunts me to this day.

I think the premier league is is where we belong, soul or otherwise.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:59 - Jun 1 with 3164 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 16:51 - Jun 1 by wkj

On a loosely related thought - I remember the day we got relegated that on one of the highlights show the commentated said "They'll be back"

That moment still haunts me to this day.

I think the premier league is is where we belong, soul or otherwise.

I was a lot younger then than I am now... First season back in Division 1 I said to my Dad 'I don't think we'll lose a match all season'. He said 'Yes we will' and the rest is history.

Do we want to be in the Premiership? on 17:08 - Jun 1 with 3129 viewsTerra_Farma

Yes, of course.

Otherwise what's the point?!!!

Look at Brentford, Brighton, Fulham, Palace etc. etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024