Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! 21:32 - May 15 with 3794 viewsunstableblue

I saw this on Twitter, and on the video after 2mins20 you can see that the lower tier of the Churchmans has a West Ham section as well as the Cobbold normal visitors section.

I have no memory of that happening.

And when Ashton eluded to this as an option I didn’t think it could work, but clearly it did, and with the ability for home fans to now approach through the staples area this becomes even easier due to less risk of mixing at the entrance.

Would be a very different experience in the lower churchman!!

Who actually remembers this? What did it mean from an atmosphere perspective?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:45 - May 15 with 3289 viewsChurchman

I was in lower Churchmans that day. I don’t remember them having part of the stand being turned over but I do remember their supporters having acquired tickets in the home section and being ugly and aggressive. As they always are. Awful people.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:45 - May 15 with 3292 viewsBlueinBrum

I remember it, we were sitting in the lower Churchman’s that day. I don’t remember it being an issue particularly, but then we did win that day.

I remember the following year when we played them again in the playoffs but in the reverse order (ie Portman Rd leg in the evening) being much spikier. I recall a big fuss with a load of West Ham in the “posh” seats at the back of the lower churchman’s, although I’m not sure if it ever led to anything serious.

I remember the game you posted being one of the best home atmospheres at PR I’ve ever seen (note the “limbs” after Bent’s goal in the video you posted), but I also remember the West Ham fans in the fixture the following year being some of the noisiest / most lary I can remember at PR.

I was about 13 at the time so not sure quite how clear my memories are.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:53 - May 15 with 3244 viewsFixed_It

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:45 - May 15 by Churchman

I was in lower Churchmans that day. I don’t remember them having part of the stand being turned over but I do remember their supporters having acquired tickets in the home section and being ugly and aggressive. As they always are. Awful people.

I remember being surrounded by a group of about 15 neanderthals in Portman Road as we exited the ground in the play-off game where they beat us. Shouting 'Come on Cardiff!' (their opponents in the Final) probably wasn't the wisest thing I've ever done at football! Nasty bunch of thugs...
[Post edited 15 May 2023 21:54]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:56 - May 15 with 3212 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Some lovely football there. Great technique from Jamma on the volley from the corner.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:28 - May 15 with 3070 viewslongtimefan

I certainly recall it happening but I’m struggling to remember how they segregated behind the stand. I sort of remember them blocking the staircases for the West Ham section going below the stand but wouldn’t put money on that memory being correct.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:34 - May 15 with 3046 viewsgainsboroughblue

Pretty sure I can recall West Ham having some of the J block end of West stand in the late 80s as well. That looked fun.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:40 - May 15 with 2999 viewsVaughan8

I always forget this game. I remember the Harewood vs Richards game...... haha
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:43 - May 15 with 2984 viewsgainsboroughblue

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:53 - May 15 by Fixed_It

I remember being surrounded by a group of about 15 neanderthals in Portman Road as we exited the ground in the play-off game where they beat us. Shouting 'Come on Cardiff!' (their opponents in the Final) probably wasn't the wisest thing I've ever done at football! Nasty bunch of thugs...
[Post edited 15 May 2023 21:54]

They played Preston in the final if you're talking about 04/05.

The final was at Cardiff if that's what confused.
[Post edited 15 May 2023 22:43]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:57 - May 15 with 2926 viewsbournemouthblue

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:56 - May 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Some lovely football there. Great technique from Jamma on the volley from the corner.

He certainly knew how to strike a ball!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 23:16 - May 15 with 2879 viewsFixed_It

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:43 - May 15 by gainsboroughblue

They played Preston in the final if you're talking about 04/05.

The final was at Cardiff if that's what confused.
[Post edited 15 May 2023 22:43]

You are correct. It was 'Come on Preston!' that got them a bit agitated.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 23:39 - May 15 with 2812 viewsMisterBlue

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 22:28 - May 15 by longtimefan

I certainly recall it happening but I’m struggling to remember how they segregated behind the stand. I sort of remember them blocking the staircases for the West Ham section going below the stand but wouldn’t put money on that memory being correct.

I believe it was the same the following season when we played them in the play-offs. I recall not being able to get a ticket for my usual seat, for both matches.

I guessing they would have sent them through from the Cobbold side, as you always used to be able to walk though the gate in the corner where fans where coming down from the upper Cobbold.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 23:43 - May 15 with 2782 viewsWhos_blue

The pitch looks mint.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 03:04 - May 16 with 2650 viewsIllinoisblue

I would guess long term the plan is have away fans situated in Churchmans in a similar way to how Man City (financial cheats) have their away section.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 04:31 - May 16 with 2615 viewsWestcountryblue

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 23:43 - May 15 by Whos_blue

The pitch looks mint.

The magic of Alan Ferguson.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 06:46 - May 16 with 2481 viewsyorkshireblue

I went to all four of the play-off games we had against West Ham - and I don’t recall any trouble with fan segregation - as already mentioned there were pockets of West Ham fans in the home end which was more of an issue.

I do remember seeing a fair bit of trouble after the away leg which they won 2-0 that year. Include one incident were some thug punched a young girl…. Who was then promptly filled in by about six other West Ham fans… I left the ground and was surprised as it seemed all the West Ham fans were still in the ground celebrating… I’m guessing fans who either didn’t get tickets or were banned were outside. For some reason I was on a coach rather than getting the train and some of their fans were throwing things at it and trying to get on the coach.

Still, a more enjoyable trip there than watching the first half performance by Drissa Diallo the following season.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 06:59 - May 16 with 2450 viewsLord_Lucan

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 06:46 - May 16 by yorkshireblue

I went to all four of the play-off games we had against West Ham - and I don’t recall any trouble with fan segregation - as already mentioned there were pockets of West Ham fans in the home end which was more of an issue.

I do remember seeing a fair bit of trouble after the away leg which they won 2-0 that year. Include one incident were some thug punched a young girl…. Who was then promptly filled in by about six other West Ham fans… I left the ground and was surprised as it seemed all the West Ham fans were still in the ground celebrating… I’m guessing fans who either didn’t get tickets or were banned were outside. For some reason I was on a coach rather than getting the train and some of their fans were throwing things at it and trying to get on the coach.

Still, a more enjoyable trip there than watching the first half performance by Drissa Diallo the following season.

I can't remember if it was game I or game II but the one I went to was an incredible atmosphere, their fans won the game for them that day. It was the game when the huntsman played his horn thing before the game (he may have done this at both games to be fair) and Westlake hit the bar.

Had pie and mash on Green St before the game, it's an absolute crying shame that all those eateries have had to close since the move to Stratford, crying shame I say.

I popped into The Boelyn and The Queens for a beer last month as I was passing, They are still going ok

Crying shame.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 07:10 - May 16 with 2431 viewsGlasgowBlue

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 06:59 - May 16 by Lord_Lucan

I can't remember if it was game I or game II but the one I went to was an incredible atmosphere, their fans won the game for them that day. It was the game when the huntsman played his horn thing before the game (he may have done this at both games to be fair) and Westlake hit the bar.

Had pie and mash on Green St before the game, it's an absolute crying shame that all those eateries have had to close since the move to Stratford, crying shame I say.

I popped into The Boelyn and The Queens for a beer last month as I was passing, They are still going ok

Crying shame.

Yeah they won the game before a ball was kicked that night. The fans, the huntsman, the “academy” t shirts.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 07:28 - May 16 with 2383 viewstextbackup

I remember it, but as I sat in NSL it didn’t really affect me

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 08:30 - May 16 with 2265 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 07:10 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah they won the game before a ball was kicked that night. The fans, the huntsman, the “academy” t shirts.

Was that when Alan Pardew was running up n down the touch line pointing at a bold t shirt ( some pulling together promo ) Academy may be right
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 08:32 - May 16 with 2258 viewsPrideOfTheEast

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 06:59 - May 16 by Lord_Lucan

Crying shame.

Yes that was the night game at Upton Park that had the incredible atmosphere - I don’t think I’ve experienced anything like that really, maybe Brum came close in the league cup semi-final.

Will have to go for pie and mash before the Millwall game next season. M. Manze
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 08:35 - May 16 with 2242 viewsLord_Lucan

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 08:32 - May 16 by PrideOfTheEast

Yes that was the night game at Upton Park that had the incredible atmosphere - I don’t think I’ve experienced anything like that really, maybe Brum came close in the league cup semi-final.

Definitely - and we will go in that pub after on The Old Kent Rd that JJJ and I went to before we met you the other year.

Birmingham - that was the night you and your Merry Men got on the pitch

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 08:53 - May 16 with 2196 viewsbelgablue

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 08:32 - May 16 by PrideOfTheEast

I seem to remember a stonewall penalty not being given for a shirt tug on Matt Elliott - still bitter about it to this day.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 09:00 - May 16 with 2181 viewsJakeITFC

Yeah, I had to move my season ticket for that game (still in the lower Churchman’s but just the other side of the goal).

I think from memory I had to use the turnstiles on the other side of the ground by the main reception and they just had the fans segregated in the lower concourse bit by a row of stewards. No trouble at all that day, but agree with others that the second leg the following year (and both away legs) were much more tense as a 14 year old.
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 09:38 - May 16 with 2107 viewsDanny_G

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 09:00 - May 16 by JakeITFC

Yeah, I had to move my season ticket for that game (still in the lower Churchman’s but just the other side of the goal).

I think from memory I had to use the turnstiles on the other side of the ground by the main reception and they just had the fans segregated in the lower concourse bit by a row of stewards. No trouble at all that day, but agree with others that the second leg the following year (and both away legs) were much more tense as a 14 year old.

Ipswich fans must have used the Portman Road side turnstiles as well as - prideofanglia.com's match report shows a home ticket with those turnstiles, 1-9, marked.

[Post edited 16 May 2023 9:40]
West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 10:28 - May 16 with 1993 viewsNthQldITFC

West Ham playoff game segregated Churchmans?! on 21:56 - May 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Loved Jamma, and his assist for the assist for the goal was great, but that shot was actually a bit of a shinner. Probably the best shinner you'll ever see, but a bit of a shinner nonetheless. Perhaps tongue of the boot and shin, but not quite the perfect strike it looked. Still great technique from that angle at that speed but.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024