Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Season - how will we fair? 08:01 - May 1 with 3119 viewsrevdrb

Like everyone, so proud of this team and the Manager. Just really interested to know how we think this team will do next year in the Championship.
I suspect the ownership group will be serious in their intent.
How far are we currently from being a top 6 Championship side?
Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:43 - May 1 with 812 viewsjp_itfc

Top 10. Perhaps pushing for a Play-Off spot. I can't see us doing a huge amount of business in the summer. Hopefully Hirst, Luongo, Taylor and a new CB all come in.
Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:46 - May 1 with 792 viewschicoazul

Depends on if we can hang on to McK. You’d like to think he would give us another season and want to have a crack at back to back promotions but he is also very ambitious.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:48 - May 1 with 784 viewschicoazul

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:43 - May 1 by jp_itfc

Top 10. Perhaps pushing for a Play-Off spot. I can't see us doing a huge amount of business in the summer. Hopefully Hirst, Luongo, Taylor and a new CB all come in.

Id be surprised if we went in for Taylor now. Our sights are set much higher.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:53 - May 1 with 769 viewsSuperblue95

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:43 - May 1 by jayessess

With parachute payments I think any relegated team instantly goes in as one of the favourites to go back up. Not sure it makes much odds who comes down.

Agree to a certain extent.

But I’d still fancy our chances of finishing above a Forest side spending the summer trying to get rid of their expensive mercenaries and likely looking for a new manager more than I would us finishing above a huge club like Everton being led by Sean Dyche.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:55 - May 1 with 765 viewsCaptainAhab

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:48 - May 1 by chicoazul

Id be surprised if we went in for Taylor now. Our sights are set much higher.

Sights set much higher than 5 months ago? If we were targeting him in January than it was presumably based on potential and because we thought he could do job in the Championship and above, rather than for a League 1 promotion push
Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:55 - May 1 with 765 viewsSuperblue95

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:38 - May 1 by hoppy

Leicester staying up would improve our chances of signing Hirst, I would think.

Possibly, but some on here seem to think a deal is pretty much agreed already so hopefully they’re right.

I’m sure we’d be able to bring in a replacement just as good (if not better) though if it fell through anyway so I’m not too concerned about it.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:58 - May 1 with 758 viewsunstableblue

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:46 - May 1 by chicoazul

Depends on if we can hang on to McK. You’d like to think he would give us another season and want to have a crack at back to back promotions but he is also very ambitious.

Genuinely I don’t think McKenna is going for quite a few seasons

Yes he’s super ambitious and 100% his end goal is to manage a Spurs or a Man U.

But he has a young family starting school in the area

I think Town fans, the way Ipswich is a football Town, the just the scale of the club have surprised him. That’s a big draw and factor to stay. We are bigger than a Brighton, a Brentford, a Palace, a Fulham even a Leicester or a Forest.

I think he’s invested in a project to move the club, stadia, playing staff to a mid Premier level.

But crucially he’s an intelligent guy, and this is a great place to develop his experience and management skills in a safe and supportive environment. He’s only managed through one mini crisis and only at League One. There are many more challenges to learn from.

But Ken things for sure, if he does have a successful first Championship season, he’ll start to more to the top of a lot of premier clubs manager selection lists!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:05 - May 1 with 740 viewsrevdrb

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:53 - May 1 by Superblue95

Agree to a certain extent.

But I’d still fancy our chances of finishing above a Forest side spending the summer trying to get rid of their expensive mercenaries and likely looking for a new manager more than I would us finishing above a huge club like Everton being led by Sean Dyche.

I think so much depends on where each individual relegated team is at. I wasn't sure how Burnley were going to do this season particularly with a new Manager and a change in playing style - yet absolutely fair play to them, they totally bossed it. Agree that Forest could be in a measure of disarray if they go down.
I'm really hoping McKenna is loving life here and with promotion feels that we continue to match his ambitions, progression and pathway
Login to get fewer ads

Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:14 - May 1 with 716 viewsIpswichKnight

Our football suits the championship much better than L1 this will account for a good start before teams work out we don’t like mass defences defending narrow. Do not think we have seen the last of time wasting from the first minute next season!

Think we’ll be inside the top 10 and pushing for playoffs similar to how Sunderland are doing.
Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:15 - May 1 with 714 viewsjayessess

Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:05 - May 1 by revdrb

I think so much depends on where each individual relegated team is at. I wasn't sure how Burnley were going to do this season particularly with a new Manager and a change in playing style - yet absolutely fair play to them, they totally bossed it. Agree that Forest could be in a measure of disarray if they go down.
I'm really hoping McKenna is loving life here and with promotion feels that we continue to match his ambitions, progression and pathway

Go back to May and Burnley didn't look strong at all. Finished the season poorly, no one knew the funding situation, didn't look to have a lot of players who'd be obviously too good for the Championship.

They then go get an unproven manager, a bunch of players from the Jupiler Pro League and win the league at a canter.

Forest's ownership group look extremely eccentric, but if they keep him Steve Cooper's an excellent manager, who'll have some great players even after they've whittled the squad down a bit.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:45 - May 1 with 676 viewsGuthrum

Next Season - how will we fair? on 09:46 - May 1 by chicoazul

Ambition is all very well, but you need a vehicle to carry you to the goal.

Would you jump from a well-financed, run and supported club on an upward trajectory where you've had 15 months to get your feet under the table, sort out the squad and become an icon to the fans to perhaps a ramshackle set of Prem strugglers where you're starting from square one, maybe with financial troubles and more expectation than hope? Swap a nicely done-up and tuned Golf GTI for a Jaguar which has been kept in a farmyard and driven therough too many potholes*?

At only 36 years old, McKenna has time on his side. He could see us established in the Prem and go off to manage ManU in his early 40s, with 25 years at the top level still ahead of him.

* NB: I am not partcularly up-to-date on my smart car makes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:46 - May 1 with 661 viewscrouchendyachtclub

Comparing our squad to someone like Coventry, I'd say that we come out quite favorably so we should be targeting top 10/playoffs pretty quickly. Players like Davis Clarke, Morsy, Broadhead and Chaplin all look to have the tools (or have proven to have) to handle the step up well. Add to that so much of that league is about cohesion in terms of team shape, playing style and squad togetherness.

Strengthen at CB, CM, wide forward and retain/replace Hurst and we should be firmly in the mix.
Next Season - how will we fair? on 14:16 - May 1 with 603 viewsDurovigutum

Next Season - how will we fair? on 10:45 - May 1 by Guthrum

Ambition is all very well, but you need a vehicle to carry you to the goal.

Would you jump from a well-financed, run and supported club on an upward trajectory where you've had 15 months to get your feet under the table, sort out the squad and become an icon to the fans to perhaps a ramshackle set of Prem strugglers where you're starting from square one, maybe with financial troubles and more expectation than hope? Swap a nicely done-up and tuned Golf GTI for a Jaguar which has been kept in a farmyard and driven therough too many potholes*?

At only 36 years old, McKenna has time on his side. He could see us established in the Prem and go off to manage ManU in his early 40s, with 25 years at the top level still ahead of him.

* NB: I am not partcularly up-to-date on my smart car makes.

I don’t think I’ve ever said this before, but I agree with Neil Warnock. The most important thing for a new manager is a good chairman/owner. KMc has this and only needs to look at Gerrard for what happens if you jump too soon. Also, KMc stayed at Spurs and Man U a long time, it suggests he will stick around for a bit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024