Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... 10:26 - Apr 30 with 4273 viewsunstableblue

.... I haven't enjoyed watching Town and a season as much as perhaps the Burley years, or one under Royle... a fantastic group of players who you could really connect with, a simply brilliant young and upcoming manager, and a CEO and ownership group committed to improving the club and connection with the community.

And just what an achievement to get out of this league in this specific season - I know I know I I know we all like to hate on League One, but Plymouth and Sheff Weds have made this a right old battle royale - Sheff Weds may finish on 96 points and not get automatic. Remarkable. And the likes of Bolton, Barnsley, Derby, Peterborough have provided stern tests along the way - what a brutal play-offs we have avoided and the Owls must now endure.

So my blue family on this remarkable journey WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVOURITE GAME? in terms of performance on the pitch, opposition, atmosphere and importance?

So many for me, so so many... but I'm going:

Bolton (A) and our 2-0 win!!

Bizarrely I wasn't even there, only managed to watch via a (ahem) short visit to Spain. And you'd think the in-person Barnsley and Posh away days or the Derby home win would eclipse due to the atmosphere alone. But I thought we came of age in that game, we truly did go up a gear, conquered a rival. We looked so so strong.

So what's your fave and a reason?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 10:32 - Apr 30 with 3025 viewsjasondozzell

I agree! Bolton is the game that sticks out for me too. I was there and coming out of the ground in the cold and rain (think it was half snowing too!) it felt like something was happening. We were on our run but that was a win against a top 6 side that seemed to help us kick on. Game was in balance a bit as well - Walton has to make a stop early on and the penalty save later was massive.

Hirst's first league goal in the first half was the beginning of a series of counter attack goals (like Derby). It was as if we suddenly clicked.

Would also say that Broadhead's free kick against Wednesday was v important.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:03 - Apr 30 with 2959 viewsRozz

Peterborough (A). Class day out, professional performance, confirmation for me that we were the real deal and going up.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:11 - Apr 30 with 2931 viewsLeaky

Barnsley away for me the atmosphere & thought we were nearly there! Posh away was great as its nearly a "home" game for me although the que at Charter's was off putting ended up in the Peacock.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:13 - Apr 30 with 2922 viewsJ2BLUE

Burton away. A game we would have finished on the wrong side of so many times in recent years. Real grit and a moment of individual brilliance to win it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:15 - Apr 30 with 2917 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The one I enjoyed most was undoubtedly Forest Green v Wednesday. Never been so nervous watching a match on the telly box.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:42 - Apr 30 with 2889 viewsunstableblue

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 10:32 - Apr 30 by jasondozzell

I agree! Bolton is the game that sticks out for me too. I was there and coming out of the ground in the cold and rain (think it was half snowing too!) it felt like something was happening. We were on our run but that was a win against a top 6 side that seemed to help us kick on. Game was in balance a bit as well - Walton has to make a stop early on and the penalty save later was massive.

Hirst's first league goal in the first half was the beginning of a series of counter attack goals (like Derby). It was as if we suddenly clicked.

Would also say that Broadhead's free kick against Wednesday was v important.

Yes agree with all that

Felt like Waltons form also returned fully… he has been good in the run-in and the Cheltenham goal was wind as much as judgement

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:52 - Apr 30 with 2848 viewsGlasgowBlue

Bolton was massive but Barnsley pips it for atmosphere, and the result made yesterday a formality.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:54 - Apr 30 with 2825 viewsKeno

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:52 - Apr 30 by GlasgowBlue

Bolton was massive but Barnsley pips it for atmosphere, and the result made yesterday a formality.

bearing all mind all the issue we've had with 'big games' over the year

Bolton 0-2
Derby 0-2
Peterbro 0-3
Barnsley 0-3

that 0-10 away to teams in the top 6 (or there about) really stand out

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:55 - Apr 30 with 2821 viewsunstableblue

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:03 - Apr 30 by Rozz

Peterborough (A). Class day out, professional performance, confirmation for me that we were the real deal and going up.

Yup - think Posh away my second favourite

Posh city centre surprisingly good and a local pub chatting to locals

I was convinced it was a banana skin but we just went up a gear… Morsy imperious… and the fans went mental

Preferred to Barnsley despite that amazing night being special

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:57 - Apr 30 with 2812 viewsFearon

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:11 - Apr 30 by Leaky

Barnsley away for me the atmosphere & thought we were nearly there! Posh away was great as its nearly a "home" game for me although the que at Charter's was off putting ended up in the Peacock.

Agree with this, the atmosphere at those two was electric, probably my favourite away games since Southend 92, however at full time at Derby the celebrations between fans and players seemed to have the belief that we were going to do it. Absolutely loved this season!
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 11:58 - Apr 30 with 2808 viewsSouperJim

Barnsley away and I only watched it on ifollow. When Hirst smashed in the 2nd that was the moment we were promoted for me.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 12:00 - Apr 30 with 2797 viewsgazzer1999

Barnsley away, just for that goal by Hirst.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 12:33 - Apr 30 with 2736 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Derby away.

Chaplin's goal and all build-up to this. That was the moment in which I felt: "this is it we are going up'. And then the celebrations after the game.

Promotion and its manner means that these players are utter heroes. The first thing I want the club to do now is to extend Luongo's contract for the next two years.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 12:40 - Apr 30 with 2695 viewsunstableblue

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 12:33 - Apr 30 by Mach_foreignBlue

Derby away.

Chaplin's goal and all build-up to this. That was the moment in which I felt: "this is it we are going up'. And then the celebrations after the game.

Promotion and its manner means that these players are utter heroes. The first thing I want the club to do now is to extend Luongo's contract for the next two years.

Yup… I think Bolton was the ‘we can actually win the must win big games moment’ but that Derby performance, on a day Derby played well and were up for it… sort of confirmed the trajectory

I never thought we’d win so many games though, and of course in the end we needed to

And as you say that goal from Chaplin, sublime!!!

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 12:42 - Apr 30 with 2692 viewsStu_boy

Barnsley away for me, amazing atmosphere, special evening where we knew we were nearly there
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 14:41 - Apr 30 with 2543 viewsKropotkin123

Fleetwood away when we scored our 100th goal and when the final whistle went and we'd achieved 100 points. I still can't believe Port Vale got a 97th minute equaliser!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 14:48 - Apr 30 with 2523 viewsMetal_Hacker

Barnsley away for me

Finished off the “difficult run” and the atmosphere was immense before, during snd after

Poll: If it were one or the other

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 15:04 - Apr 30 with 2501 viewscarlisleaway

Bolton, Derby and Peterborough
But the Barnsley game stands out for me, the atmosphere created by 5,000 travelling fans in a great away end clinched it for me. The time when the game was stopped and for 5 minutes a continued chant of Blue Army thundered out. It lifted the team and the supporters did not stop, fans hugging each other….could not get any better. Thank you Ipswich Town the team I love and getting us over that line into the Championship
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 15:26 - Apr 30 with 2456 viewsTractorJack

Aside from Barnsley I loved the 2nd half of the Port Vale game. Probably the only game in this run that's actually felt tense. The relief of the pen going in was brilliant.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 16:25 - Apr 30 with 2344 viewsportmanpensioner

Favourite game was definitely Barnsley away for the atmosphere but the most important for me was Derby away hadn’t been more nervous before a game but it proved we can beat anyone ,and we have
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 16:44 - Apr 30 with 2295 viewsxrayspecs

Barnsley, and Posh to a lesser extent make the shortlist, due to the atmosphere and how important the results were for us making the top 2.

But I am going to go with yesterday. In almost 50 years of watching games at PR, I have never known an atmosphere like it. It maybe an unfair comparison because football changes over time (no pyros when we won in Europe), but the pre-match welcome and build up, the incredible first half performance, and the celebrations, were fantastic.

I felt confident going into the game that we were too far ahead of SW to get caught, so there was not the sense of jeopardy that we had for the previous games, but nonetheless they were some scenes.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 18:04 - Apr 30 with 2257 viewsSawtrich

Barnsley away was just epic. Can't think of a better atmosphere ever. The injury break on 37/38 mins that was just flooded with Blue Army, Blue Army! It was just years and years of frustration coming out as a collective, "we've been waiting for this, we've come this far and it's not f...ing slipping away from us now". Within minutes we'd scored twice and virtually secured promotion.
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 18:12 - Apr 30 with 2236 viewsbilllm

3 moments and they all included broady as they call him,
The derby goal by Chaplin brilliant
His free kick against owls brilliant,
Big moment for me he was ice cool with the penalty v vale,
I was a bit emotional when that went in,
The whole ground was silent frozen in time, we all knew we couldn't afford to drop any points in that game,
The man was ice cool,
These are my moments,
WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 19:32 - Apr 30 with 2171 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

MK Dons away. First time since October we’d won two on the bounce. Said to my son walking back to the car that we were going to do it.
Peterborough away, Charlton at home.
Yesterday will take some beating though as a seasons worth of emotions flooded out in half an hour of magnificent clinical football and was able to share that with my son.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

WOW - what a season people! - what was your favourite game??.... on 19:54 - Apr 30 with 2132 viewsUSA

I went to Bolton and loved it but it’s my number 2. Celebrating the Port Vale goals in what had been a tense game was when I believed it really possible! Such a great feeling when the penalty from Broadhead hit the back of the net!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024