Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day 06:20 - Apr 28 with 2878 viewsPJH

that Ipswich Town became Champions of England.
I have nothing new to add to the posts that I have made on this date for the last six or seven years, but I still have my memories.
I attended 20 of the 21 home games plus the away game at WBA.
My memories include the first home game against Man CIty, a loss, beating Burnley 6-2 the following Tuesday night with all five forwards scoring, beating Spurs, who the previous season had been the first team in the 20th century to do the double.
Specific goals I remember are John Elsworthy’s free kick against Man U, Ray Crawford shoulder charging Bolton goalkeeper, and ball, over the line, late winners for Roy Stephenson against Sheff W and Dougie Moran against Wolves and, of course, Ray Crawford’s two against Villa, the day we became champions.
Off the pitch I remember Swede Herring, a local bus conductor conducting in a different way as he went around the pitch before the game pumping up the crowd. The team coming out to the tune of Entrance of the Gladiators and the crowd singing Keep Right On To The End Of The Road.
Twelve names will forever be associated with that season,in my head and their autographs in my autograph book.
Those names are Alf Ramsey, Roy Bailey, Larry Carberry, John Compton, Billy Baxter, Andy Nelson, John Elsworthy, Roy Stephenson, Dougie Moran, Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips and Jimmy Leadbetter.
The players all played at least 37 of the 42 League games and Alf Ramsey had them playing a system that suited them and was different to all other English clubs at the time.
Thank you to them for the joy that they gave me, my late mum and dad and thousands of others.
They were expected by most of the football world to return to the Second Divisoon that they came from, but they didn’t, they became CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 6:22]
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 17:14 - Apr 28 with 624 viewsDeano69

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 10:03 - Apr 28 by PJH

Hi, as Mary Hopkin once sang, Those Were The Days.

that would make a great name for a website

No, not Mary Hopkin

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 17:34 - Apr 28 with 597 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 17:14 - Apr 28 by Deano69

that would make a great name for a website

No, not Mary Hopkin

Yes, if anyone ever uses it, do you think I can claim a finders fee or something?
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 17:48 - Apr 28 with 589 viewsmonty_radio

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 14:00 - Apr 28 by blueislander

I still rate the Burnley match as the greatest Town performance I have seen at Portman Road

Was my poor old Mum's fault I missed it - something about "school next day" etc. I also missed AC Milan and Floriana for the same reason.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 21:10 - Apr 28 with 532 viewsjaykay

i was 12 at the time and if memory is still correct, i remember sitting on the grass behind the north stand goal, against arsenal over the easter weekend that year. there was so many in the ground that day, they let us kids sit on the grass as it was meant to be safer than been in a packed out north stand. although i expect they didn't take into account some kid might have been at the end of a ted phillips thunderbolt. the ball was an old leather one at that with laces.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 22:55 - Apr 28 with 510 viewsMelford

If you have any Spurs fans you know it's always nice to point out that we have won the league more recently than they have.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 23:34 - Apr 28 with 506 viewsChurchman

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 22:55 - Apr 28 by Melford

If you have any Spurs fans you know it's always nice to point out that we have won the league more recently than they have.

And of course the same applies to Newcastle, Sunderland, Wolves, Burnley,

West Ham, Brighton, Palace, Brentford, Bournemouth, Southampton have never won the top division.

In the Championship, Blackburn have won the PL; the rest have either never done it or earlier than we did. Norwich did participate. Derby won it in the 70s twice, the rest of the EFL the same as the Championship clubs.

24 clubs have won the English title in its history including the PL, according to Wiki. Pretty exclusive and unlikely to be added to any time soon.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 23:58]
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:16 - Apr 29 with 476 viewsBeattie78

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 21:10 - Apr 28 by jaykay

i was 12 at the time and if memory is still correct, i remember sitting on the grass behind the north stand goal, against arsenal over the easter weekend that year. there was so many in the ground that day, they let us kids sit on the grass as it was meant to be safer than been in a packed out north stand. although i expect they didn't take into account some kid might have been at the end of a ted phillips thunderbolt. the ball was an old leather one at that with laces.

I remember the Arsenal game on Good Friday. 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down. Like you i was sitting on the grass only it was in front of Churchmans. I'm sure I remember Ted Phillips scoring from a penalty at that end.

LexdenBlue62

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 10:20 - Apr 29 with 464 viewsBluespeed225

‘We had super Alfie Ramsey,
He knew exactly what what we need,
Nelson at the back
Ray and Ted in attack
And Towen went and won the flipping’ league!
Login to get fewer ads

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 12:14 - Apr 29 with 453 viewsChurchman

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:16 - Apr 29 by Beattie78

I remember the Arsenal game on Good Friday. 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down. Like you i was sitting on the grass only it was in front of Churchmans. I'm sure I remember Ted Phillips scoring from a penalty at that end.

There is a picture in Ken Rice’s 1970s book Ipswich of the penalty being taken. It was definitely scored at North Stand end.

The pic is taken from behind the goal, Kelsey in the foreground, Phillips having just hit the shot, Churchmans stand, offices (now flats) in the background.

The other Ipswich goal was scored by Jimmy Leadbetter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024