Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day 06:20 - Apr 28 with 2843 viewsPJH

that Ipswich Town became Champions of England.
I have nothing new to add to the posts that I have made on this date for the last six or seven years, but I still have my memories.
I attended 20 of the 21 home games plus the away game at WBA.
My memories include the first home game against Man CIty, a loss, beating Burnley 6-2 the following Tuesday night with all five forwards scoring, beating Spurs, who the previous season had been the first team in the 20th century to do the double.
Specific goals I remember are John Elsworthy’s free kick against Man U, Ray Crawford shoulder charging Bolton goalkeeper, and ball, over the line, late winners for Roy Stephenson against Sheff W and Dougie Moran against Wolves and, of course, Ray Crawford’s two against Villa, the day we became champions.
Off the pitch I remember Swede Herring, a local bus conductor conducting in a different way as he went around the pitch before the game pumping up the crowd. The team coming out to the tune of Entrance of the Gladiators and the crowd singing Keep Right On To The End Of The Road.
Twelve names will forever be associated with that season,in my head and their autographs in my autograph book.
Those names are Alf Ramsey, Roy Bailey, Larry Carberry, John Compton, Billy Baxter, Andy Nelson, John Elsworthy, Roy Stephenson, Dougie Moran, Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips and Jimmy Leadbetter.
The players all played at least 37 of the 42 League games and Alf Ramsey had them playing a system that suited them and was different to all other English clubs at the time.
Thank you to them for the joy that they gave me, my late mum and dad and thousands of others.
They were expected by most of the football world to return to the Second Divisoon that they came from, but they didn’t, they became CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 6:22]
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 07:36 - Apr 28 with 2096 viewswoodbridge_blue

It's always good to see your post on this day. Brings back memories of my mum, who attended every home game that season as well as the win at defending champions spurs, a midweek match I seem to recall.

She travelled, like your parents, on the supporters coach from the Market Hill in Woodbridge, and she was the reason I became an Ipswich Town supporter. She will also be the main reason that I will shed tears tomorrow afternoon if and when we finally clinch promotion.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:10 - Apr 28 with 2061 viewsMerthyrblue

Thanks PJH for posting each year on the anniversary. Brings a tear to my eye. I was too young to attend but I lived in Wolsey Street, within earshot of the ground and I can remember hearing the cheers. My Uncle Bill who lived opposite went to every home game and I still have his programmes. They are much treasured.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:15 - Apr 28 with 2037 viewsnorfsufblue

I'm not old enough to have been there and my journey with Town only began the weekend after beating Real Madrid at home BUT if I ever get access to a Tardis, this will be my first destination!!
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:26 - Apr 28 with 2020 viewsBeattie78

Thanks for posting and bringing back memories. Lucky enough to be there as an 11 year old at the front of the old West stand terrace. COYB

LexdenBlue62

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:40 - Apr 28 with 2004 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this. One of the most remarkable stories in English football ever, if not the most remarkable. This post should be put on here every year at this time.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:52 - Apr 28 with 1991 viewshoppy

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:40 - Apr 28 by Churchman

Thank you for posting this. One of the most remarkable stories in English football ever, if not the most remarkable. This post should be put on here every year at this time.

It is posted on here every year!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:04 - Apr 28 with 1971 viewsChurchman

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:52 - Apr 28 by hoppy

It is posted on here every year!

I know - I meant in perpetuity.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:10 - Apr 28 with 1963 viewsDJR

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:40 - Apr 28 by Churchman

And we've still won the top division more recently than Spurs.
Login to get fewer ads

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:48 - Apr 28 with 1934 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:04 - Apr 28 by Churchman

I know - I meant in perpetuity.

I will do my best, I am not planning on going anywhere yet so versions of my Champions of England post will hopefully be appearing here on this date for a while yet.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:51 - Apr 28 with 1927 viewsPhilTWTD

Thanks for your annual post in tribute to that most remarkable of seasons. I'll add my interview with John Elsworthy which I did 21 years ago now.

TWTD Replayed - John Elsworthy Interview 28th Apr 2022 15:12
Today marks the 60th anniversary of the Blues sealing the 1961/62 League Championship title so as part of TWTD’s tribute to that great team and that famous season, here’s our 2002 interview with John Elsworthy, who played at half-back in Sir Alf Ramsey’s side. 0

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:52 - Apr 28 with 1924 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 07:36 - Apr 28 by woodbridge_blue

It's always good to see your post on this day. Brings back memories of my mum, who attended every home game that season as well as the win at defending champions spurs, a midweek match I seem to recall.

She travelled, like your parents, on the supporters coach from the Market Hill in Woodbridge, and she was the reason I became an Ipswich Town supporter. She will also be the main reason that I will shed tears tomorrow afternoon if and when we finally clinch promotion.

Thank you.

My dad was on the committee of the Woodbridge branch of the supporters club but in 61/62 we went by car, nice and early to get parked in Alderman Road.

Wonderful times!
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:52 - Apr 28 with 1920 viewsblueislander

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:48 - Apr 28 by PJH

I will do my best, I am not planning on going anywhere yet so versions of my Champions of England post will hopefully be appearing here on this date for a while yet.

Good to hear from you old chap. Keep well , and keep rocking’
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:57 - Apr 28 with 1908 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:10 - Apr 28 by Merthyrblue

Thanks PJH for posting each year on the anniversary. Brings a tear to my eye. I was too young to attend but I lived in Wolsey Street, within earshot of the ground and I can remember hearing the cheers. My Uncle Bill who lived opposite went to every home game and I still have his programmes. They are much treasured.

This date will always be special to me.

I know that these posts are a rehash of other years postings on this day, I remember what I remember and I don’t suppose that I will suddenly remember something else, so expect similar next year!
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:58 - Apr 28 with 1906 viewsnorfsufblue

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:52 - Apr 28 by blueislander

I still have the Jeff Stelling Time of our lives interview with Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips and Larry Carberry on my Sky Q box.... think I'll give that a watch today
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:58 - Apr 28 with 1906 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:26 - Apr 28 by Beattie78

Thanks for posting and bringing back memories. Lucky enough to be there as an 11 year old at the front of the old West stand terrace. COYB

I was 11 and on the wall in the West Stand too.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:59 - Apr 28 with 1898 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:51 - Apr 28 by PhilTWTD

Thanks for your annual post in tribute to that most remarkable of seasons. I'll add my interview with John Elsworthy which I did 21 years ago now.

Today marks the 60th anniversary of the Blues sealing the 1961/62 League Championship title so as part of TWTD’s tribute to that great team and that famous season, here’s our 2002 interview with John Elsworthy, who played at half-back in Sir Alf Ramsey’s side. 0

Thanks Phil, this date will always means lot to me and to anyone else that was about at the time, or had relatives that were.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 10:01 - Apr 28 with 1896 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 08:15 - Apr 28 by norfsufblue

I'm not old enough to have been there and my journey with Town only began the weekend after beating Real Madrid at home BUT if I ever get access to a Tardis, this will be my first destination!!

Good luck with getting access to Tardis.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 10:03 - Apr 28 with 1891 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:52 - Apr 28 by blueislander

Hi, as Mary Hopkin once sang, Those Were The Days.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 10:05 - Apr 28 with 1887 viewsBluespeed225

I remember Carlos Edwards leading the team over to the surviving team meme bears in 2012 and applauding them. I have a full set of home programmes, Ramsey’s’ notes as clipped as his adopted accent, and the talk of a ‘fine rendition of Keep Right On’. Train travel to Arsenal taking only 10 more minutes to Liverpool St than today! I’m assuming that was steam? As an enthusiast of Mid Century architecture I always marvelled at the building that was going on in Ipswich at that time, from the college , to the Fisons building, Dryden Road church and the housing that was going up, it must’ve been a great time to be here, the Town buzzing with US Air Force personnel, the 60’s about to start swinging. Ray Crawford is a flipping’ legend!
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 10:06 - Apr 28 with 1886 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:58 - Apr 28 by norfsufblue

I still have the Jeff Stelling Time of our lives interview with Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips and Larry Carberry on my Sky Q box.... think I'll give that a watch today

I did watch that when it was first shown, maybe I will find it again somewhere on the internet.

I did an interview with Ross of EADT in April last year, I suppose that is still on the internet somewhere.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 12:25 - Apr 28 with 1719 viewsmonty_radio

Like at least two posters here, I too was 11, and also on the wall of the West Stand. I went to two away games, including the 3-1 win at Spurs, who finished third.

And, like PJH, 20 of the 21 home games. But sadly, unlike him, the one I missed out on was the 6-2 thrashing of Burnley, who, it should be pointed out, went on to finish second.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 13:01 - Apr 28 with 1683 viewsPJH

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 12:25 - Apr 28 by monty_radio

Like at least two posters here, I too was 11, and also on the wall of the West Stand. I went to two away games, including the 3-1 win at Spurs, who finished third.

And, like PJH, 20 of the 21 home games. But sadly, unlike him, the one I missed out on was the 6-2 thrashing of Burnley, who, it should be pointed out, went on to finish second.

You missed a good one!

The one I missed was at Christmas time against Leicester because we always went to my grandparents in Worcestershire for Christmas. Going there for holidays was also how we went to WBA at the beginning of September.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 14:00 - Apr 28 with 1596 viewsblueislander

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 13:01 - Apr 28 by PJH

You missed a good one!

The one I missed was at Christmas time against Leicester because we always went to my grandparents in Worcestershire for Christmas. Going there for holidays was also how we went to WBA at the beginning of September.

I still rate the Burnley match as the greatest Town performance I have seen at Portman Road
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 14:08 - Apr 28 with 1586 viewsIwasthere

Thanks for the memories PJH.. I too was there as a fifteen year old, travelling by train from Haverhill, catching the 8.45 to Marks Tey and then onward to Ipswich. We all seemed to be in the west stand and I remember climbing the wall onto the packed pitch after the game. Unforgettable day and achievement, Ray Crawford my all time hero who I have been lucky enough to meet at PR during his many visits.
I will also be shedding a tear or two watching from the Magnes upper tomorrow, with thoughts of all the wonderful times I have had with family and friends supporting this great club of ours.
Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 14:46 - Apr 28 with 1567 viewstractorian

Another year gone by. It is now sixty-one years since April 28th 1962, the day on 09:51 - Apr 28 by PhilTWTD

And for those that don't know, this is what John looked like.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024