Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barnsley memories, no not that game... 11:55 - Apr 24 with 1045 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Who was there at Barnsley in March 1996?

Town were 3-0 down with just five minutes remaining, and somehow salvaged a 3-3 draw...

LIKE middle-distance runners barging each other for position as they approach to the bell, the Endsleigh First Division sides in or near the play-off places spent much of yesterday agitatedly jockeying for position. Barnsley betrayed their nerves with a remarkable display of stupidity.

Three-nil ahead with five minutes left of their home game against promotion rivals Ipswich, thoughts were turning to tea and crumpets. Then the Yorkshire side's goalkeeper, Dave Watson, tried to beat Ian Marshall, failed, and gave away a needless goal.

Three minutes later, Marshall raced on to Simon Milton's pass to make it 3-2. Thoroughly panicked, Barnsley watched as Alex Mathie crossed and Milton headed a last minute equaliser.
Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 11:57 - Apr 24 with 1024 viewscbower

Yep, I was there. Game was done and dusted. Unbelievable ending.

bluescouser

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 12:12 - Apr 24 with 963 viewsclive_baker

Shame it cuts off before our goals.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 12:14]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 12:17 - Apr 24 with 931 viewschicoazul

Me!
And wasn’t it Barnsley away where Keith Alexander saved Jewell’s job?
Edit; definitely not Keith Alexander, it was the very handsome Irish midfielder what was his name
Also Grant Ward hat trick!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 12:19]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 12:25 - Apr 24 with 914 viewsZx1988

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 12:17 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

Me!
And wasn’t it Barnsley away where Keith Alexander saved Jewell’s job?
Edit; definitely not Keith Alexander, it was the very handsome Irish midfielder what was his name
Also Grant Ward hat trick!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 12:19]

Keith Andrews?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 12:29 - Apr 24 with 895 viewsPlums

I was there. Somehow we ended up in the seats when we would have usually stood. With about 7 to go, dad stood up to leave early and I wouldn't let him. He was grateful in the end.
There was no trouble but the walk across the big car park behind the ground was somewhat intimidating.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 13:13 - Apr 24 with 827 viewsFacefacts

Yes, the best, was there. The keeper, 3 - 0 up, trying to jink past Ian Marshall. Seriously good meaty tackle from Marshy on him, and you could 'smell' we had a chance from that point on.
Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 14:05 - Apr 24 with 763 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Nope but was there a few years later on that open terrace when we won 1-0 (Johnson early header) and then Dyer scored in the second half and it was disallowed to this day I can’t remember/don’t know what for.

Anyone remember that game?

Stewart’s debut a few years later was obviously a great one.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 14:11]
Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 14:07 - Apr 24 with 765 viewsbrazil1982

My first away match, FA Cup 4th round 1990 - we lost 2-0.
Login to get fewer ads

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 14:23 - Apr 24 with 731 viewsgainsboroughblue

Went there twice within 8 weeks. 1-0 win in Dec 89. I believe Humes got the winner and it was bloody cold on that open terrace.

It was much warmer due to 4,000 more bodies in there for the cup tie in Jan. Brian Gayle's debut, Warky hitting his own post and going 2 down within the first quarter of an hour. After the epic win at Leeds, that was a massive comedown.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 14:42 - Apr 24 with 702 viewsandycookguitar

Yep, went with my brother. Remember they’d named the man of the match and all seemed doomed. Managed to shout ourselves hoarse in 5 minutes. Probably my favourite match. Going tomorrow, looking forward to a Town win. Promotion in the bag if we do. COYB

Leeds blue

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 15:13 - Apr 24 with 661 viewskeighleyblue

Used to work in Barnsley. Wonderful people, a real defiance and pride in their town. Seen loads of games at Oakwell but my favourite (apart from the 3-3) was Barnsley 0-2 Town on Sat 5th Feb 2000. Marcus Stewart's debut, scored his first goal for ITFC in front of our fans, thought that was the turning point in our most recent promotion season (prior to this one, hopefully :))
Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 15:29 - Apr 24 with 632 viewsbluelagos

Yep.

All I really remember was how tight the seats were. Wooden side stand and my knees were wedged against a wall. Quite similar to my seat at Portman road as it goes.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 16:20 - Apr 24 with 586 viewsBluespeed225

I missed this thread before posting about it myself. I had dear old Brian Knights on, 3 down, oh well, and then! Had it on a VHS cassette for years! Marshall obviously thought it was on as he raced to grab the ball out of the net after robbing the keeper for our first goal!
Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 18:18 - Apr 24 with 526 viewsParisBlue

Barnsley memories, no not that game... on 14:23 - Apr 24 by gainsboroughblue

Went there twice within 8 weeks. 1-0 win in Dec 89. I believe Humes got the winner and it was bloody cold on that open terrace.

It was much warmer due to 4,000 more bodies in there for the cup tie in Jan. Brian Gayle's debut, Warky hitting his own post and going 2 down within the first quarter of an hour. After the epic win at Leeds, that was a massive comedown.

I was at uni in sunderland at that time and somehow managed to persuade a mackem that an afternoon in Barnsley was a good idea (he had a car and had driven down to Ipswich a month earlier). Stopped for driving in a bus lane before we'd moved a 100 yards, we got to about Leeds and the cam belt went, but found a garage and they fixed it (we had an important event to get to). 2-0 down pretty quickly, never looked like scoring, poor old David Gregory completely out of his depth. The beginning of the end for John Duncan.

And then it started snowing, gently at first, then a blizzard with us standing in an open terrace. And being 1990 we were kept in for 20 mins after the game as the snow got harder and harder. Long trip back in the conditions.

Tomorrow will be my first trip back since.

[Post edited 24 Apr 2023 18:20]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024