Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New car advice needed 14:18 - Mar 10 with 1668 viewsmjw_1983

Currently have a diesel insignia company car but got an email today asking me to order a new company car, logged in and the options are vast compared to what I’m used to. We used to have the option of most Vauxhalls in diesel only
What are the benefits of hybids? Full ev isn’t an option due to mileage I can do and no charge points available at home.
Options are Audi A1 or A3, BMW 1 or 2 series or an X2, Cupra fermentor, Hyundai bayon, Kona or I30, Peugeot 308 or 3008, various seats, a couple of basic Vauxhalls (want to stay away from as had them for 15years) or Vw golf, Tiago and ID.4
I’m leaning towards a 3008 or X2 but the 3008 has better options as standard, I don’t get to add too many extras
New car advice needed on 14:20 - Mar 10 with 1640 viewsMillsTash

All depends on the level of spec available on the cars. I'd go for something that has a lot of extras included compared to an entry level spec.
New car advice needed on 15:12 - Mar 10 with 1538 viewsChondzoresk

I own a 22 plate 3008 225 GT Hybrid auto. In Vertigo blue. Blooming amazing car. Quick, economical, eye catching vehicle. I have had many comments. All positive. Full of toys. An app where you can heat or cool the cabin areas from your front room, so it’s warm and cosy or freezing cold for you to drive off. It has a 1.6 turbo engine mated with a small electric motor.

In Summer I get 35 miles range on electric alone. Full tank of decent fuel will get you 350 miles in sport mode.

I rarely use hybrid as its eats its leccy supply.

You can get a 300 BHP version which is 4 wheel drive and can outpace most GTIs.

The one thing I find is that once in the fast lane, most drivers just pull over to let you pass, it’s aggressive looking at the front. Plenty of Day time lights that look like sabre tooth fangs.

Much better than a VW or an Audi. Test drove their versions and they were dull, dull, dull.

3008s are known to eat their Michelin tyres. After 11k miles I need four new boots.
New car advice needed on 15:31 - Mar 10 with 1477 viewsBloomBlue

All plug-in hybrids either have a 7kw or 3.6kw charge and no fast charge option. So if your plug--in hybrid battery takes 4 hours to charge off a home wall charger its going to take 4 hours if you stop at a service station and plug it in, ie you waiting 4 hours to get 30miles even if the public charge is a fast charger

Must admit I thought company car drives only had hybrid cars to save on tax but then never ever plug them in to charge them.One thing to remember if you don't ever plug in a plug-in hybrid and charge it the warranty is void, must people don't see that in the small print.

Someone I know has a mercedes GLE hybrid and he loves it. It does 55miles on pure electric and unusually for a plug-in hybrid it has a diesel engine, even without any electric charge he gets 40+ to the gallon.

However on your list people, if pure sport/handling is your no1 requirement then it has to be the Cupra it's the best handling by a country mile compared with the others on your list.
New car advice needed on 16:58 - Mar 10 with 1348 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I can thoroughly recommend the Cube Touring EXC Hybrid bike. It doesn't use any petrol or diesel, provides up to a powerful 500W pedal assist to glide up the steepest of hills, feels incredibly solid with fantastic road holding and powerful hydraulic disc brakes. Space for passengers is a bit limited however.

Poll: would you rather

New car advice needed on 16:59 - Mar 10 with 1340 viewsronnyd

New car advice needed on 16:58 - Mar 10 by LegendofthePhoenix

I can thoroughly recommend the Cube Touring EXC Hybrid bike. It doesn't use any petrol or diesel, provides up to a powerful 500W pedal assist to glide up the steepest of hills, feels incredibly solid with fantastic road holding and powerful hydraulic disc brakes. Space for passengers is a bit limited however.

Not much good on motorways either.
New car advice needed on 17:07 - Mar 10 with 1297 viewsPlums

New car advice needed on 16:58 - Mar 10 by LegendofthePhoenix

Let us know when you arrive at Bolton

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

New car advice needed on 17:40 - Mar 10 with 1235 viewsPendejo

Out of your list I like the Supra Formentor, a colleague has one and they looked great (subjective)

FEV is fine as long as you know to find fast chargers (use Zap Map App)

PHEV are a waste of time unless you have readily available overnight charging. Recently had a PHEV Job is for a few weeks, received with 15% charge returned it with 19% without once plugging it in, and it returned a good MPG, but they're gutless, not good going up hills.

FHEV is what I'd choose for overall practicality.

If your options include Toyota Camry, that's what I'd go for. It's a rebadged Lexus, nice to drive on motorways, spacious, good economy and doesn't draw badge envy.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

New car advice needed on 18:43 - Mar 10 with 1148 viewsfactual_blue

Bugatti Veyron every time.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

New car advice needed on 19:43 - Mar 10 with 1083 viewsChurchman

I bought an Audi A3 last year. It has a petrol turbocharged engine. Goes like hell, does over 50 miles to the gallon.

It’s quite basic, but well made, comfy, quiet, has a top end stereo, it’s fun to drive and for me just the right size for what I need. And there’s the key - does it fulfil what you need it for.

A long time ago I had a company Vectra. Choice was limited and it was slaughtered by the motoring press, but I was doing a lot of M25 driving. It was comfortable, cruised well and absolutely bob on for what I needed it for. No complaints from me.

My advice is try them all and go for what feels right.
New car advice needed on 19:51 - Mar 10 with 1073 viewsSwansea_Blue

New car advice needed on 18:43 - Mar 10 by factual_blue

Bugatti Veyron every time.

Innit. Your platinum plated uncivil (= lefty tosser) pension would turn its nose up at these options. What a load of mass produced muck. Real connoisseurs choose niche products like the Bugatti or one of these:

[Post edited 10 Mar 2023 19:52]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New car advice needed on 20:10 - Mar 10 with 1024 viewsSwansea_Blue

New car advice needed on 17:40 - Mar 10 by Pendejo

Out of your list I like the Supra Formentor, a colleague has one and they looked great (subjective)

FEV is fine as long as you know to find fast chargers (use Zap Map App)

PHEV are a waste of time unless you have readily available overnight charging. Recently had a PHEV Job is for a few weeks, received with 15% charge returned it with 19% without once plugging it in, and it returned a good MPG, but they're gutless, not good going up hills.

FHEV is what I'd choose for overall practicality.

If your options include Toyota Camry, that's what I'd go for. It's a rebadged Lexus, nice to drive on motorways, spacious, good economy and doesn't draw badge envy.

I like the look of the Cupras. Not that I know anything about any of them, and wouldn’t know the difference between FEV, PHEV or VPL.

I’ve not looked for cars for about 5 years since I took Phil’s recommendation and bought an Audi A6. Utter waste of money really - I only do about 6k miles per year, it’s still almost like new and I’m being made to think I should change it. I’m getting better value for money from my 2012 Panda 1.2 (with electric front windows!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New car advice needed on 23:06 - Mar 10 with 933 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

New car advice needed on 15:12 - Mar 10 by Chondzoresk

I own a 22 plate 3008 225 GT Hybrid auto. In Vertigo blue. Blooming amazing car. Quick, economical, eye catching vehicle. I have had many comments. All positive. Full of toys. An app where you can heat or cool the cabin areas from your front room, so it’s warm and cosy or freezing cold for you to drive off. It has a 1.6 turbo engine mated with a small electric motor.

In Summer I get 35 miles range on electric alone. Full tank of decent fuel will get you 350 miles in sport mode.

I rarely use hybrid as its eats its leccy supply.

You can get a 300 BHP version which is 4 wheel drive and can outpace most GTIs.

The one thing I find is that once in the fast lane, most drivers just pull over to let you pass, it’s aggressive looking at the front. Plenty of Day time lights that look like sabre tooth fangs.

Much better than a VW or an Audi. Test drove their versions and they were dull, dull, dull.

3008s are known to eat their Michelin tyres. After 11k miles I need four new boots.

I'm not normally devisive... but, surely, with all that choice, nobody is going to choose a French car!?

There is no such thing as an eye catching Peugeot.
New car advice needed on 08:15 - Mar 11 with 768 viewsChurchman

New car advice needed on 20:10 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

I like the look of the Cupras. Not that I know anything about any of them, and wouldn’t know the difference between FEV, PHEV or VPL.

I’ve not looked for cars for about 5 years since I took Phil’s recommendation and bought an Audi A6. Utter waste of money really - I only do about 6k miles per year, it’s still almost like new and I’m being made to think I should change it. I’m getting better value for money from my 2012 Panda 1.2 (with electric front windows!).

I know what you mean. I bought my car last year because I wanted it rather than needed it. Its predecessor had only done 45k in its eight year life and was in perfect order. In any case, Mrs C has a little Toyota Yaris and that is used all the time.

It’s a smashing car. She’s had three of them over the years and not a single thing has gone wrong with them. By and large, Toyota make a bullet proof car.
New car advice needed on 09:20 - Mar 11 with 735 viewsArnoldMoorhen

New car advice needed on 20:10 - Mar 10 by Swansea_Blue

I think I can help with one of those. The ones without VPL are more likely to give a sporty ride down country lanes.
New car advice needed on 09:37 - Mar 11 with 705 viewsJackNorthStand

A3 out of the options you’ve listed. By some way.
New car advice needed on 10:02 - Mar 11 with 676 viewsMJallday

New car advice needed on 09:37 - Mar 11 by JackNorthStand

A3 out of the options you’ve listed. By some way.

Unless it’s the i30n , the A3 is good choice

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

New car advice needed on 10:27 - Mar 11 with 652 viewsEly_Blue

I have recently gone through this an despite not having the option of home charging I have gone for a full EV. You’d be foolish not to take this option for the tax savings alone!

I’d urge you to look into EV range of the cars on offer, just to give you a comparison I currently drive a BMW X2 2.0 petrol which is in the 31% tax bracket and costs me £4064 a year in tax, my new car that is on order (a £45k Kia EV6 with a range of 328 miles and high capacity charging capability) falls into the 2% tax bracket that all EVs do and is going to cost me circa £360 a year in tax, my thoughts are why wouldn’t I want an extra £300 a month in my pay packet, are you really that flush with money?

Plug in hybrids don’t give the same tax benefits they once did as they are still effectively ICE vehicles and they carry the same emissions criteria
[Post edited 11 Mar 2023 10:32]

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

New car advice needed on 10:36 - Mar 11 with 629 viewsOldsmoker

Do you live near a ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) or are likely to travel to one?
Check if the car you choose, gets a free pass - most diesels don't.
My petrol Fiesta 2011 plate goes for free.

The ULEZ in Bristol is £9 a day.
Quite a few cities are planning them.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024