Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... 11:57 - Mar 7 with 2054 viewsunbelievablue

Sibton
Sweffling
Rendham
Badingham
Westleton
Easton

Anyone know why, or is it just coincidence? I've been handed what might be an apocryphal tale, but want to test the water first.

I once attempted a nice leisurely cycle ride around each of them (during lockdown) but it was cut short when I came off and quite badly hurt my leg: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDg35GjjaWlGo7zm6XDWB56i_gw-qjuFksZCXc0/

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:00 - Mar 7 with 1581 viewsclive_baker

Would've thought the agricultural history of the area might play some part in that. Suffolk is known for its horse after all. Think you can add Badwell Ash to your list of White Horses too.

Doesn't explain the Red Lions though...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 12:04]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:03 - Mar 7 with 1571 viewsWeWereZombies

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:00 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

Would've thought the agricultural history of the area might play some part in that. Suffolk is known for its horse after all. Think you can add Badwell Ash to your list of White Horses too.

Or the ostrich...unless there was an early adopter of exotic breeds for fancy burgers down by the Orwell.

Yep, I do know the story about it being a corruption of Oyster Reach.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:07 - Mar 7 with 1547 viewsclive_baker

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:03 - Mar 7 by WeWereZombies

Or the ostrich...unless there was an early adopter of exotic breeds for fancy burgers down by the Orwell.

Yep, I do know the story about it being a corruption of Oyster Reach.

You'll be shocked when you learn the history of The Cock in Sudbury. Nothing to do with fowl, apparently Chris Sutton owned it once and hence the name just stuck.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 12:08]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:20 - Mar 7 with 1515 viewsNthQldITFC

Tattingstone, then you can test the water in the ressie after, like.

(or top it up.)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:22 - Mar 7 with 1510 viewsWeWereZombies

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:07 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

You'll be shocked when you learn the history of The Cock in Sudbury. Nothing to do with fowl, apparently Chris Sutton owned it once and hence the name just stuck.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 12:08]

Presumably the last word of The Crown and Anchor is another corruption in the name of the tenancy he had before that...

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:23 - Mar 7 with 1506 viewsitfcjoe

We are looking at a scheme in the White Horse in another Suffolk town, and this one still has a barn with horse troughs in it and the floor is worn out from horse shoes etc so guess may be to do with pubs that were horse friendly

The Halberd also had the same when we refurbed that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:23 - Mar 7 with 1506 viewsEdwardStone

One in Edwardstone

Reports Edward Stone
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:28 - Mar 7 with 1485 viewsStenvict

Finningham

Poll: What will be announced first?

Login to get fewer ads

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:29 - Mar 7 with 1485 viewsElephantintheRoom

Are they proliferating - or were they always known as that?

Maybe an attempt to be posh - a white horse is pretty rare and is usually grey. The Nag’s Head doesn’t sound quite so appealing either.

Not many chestnut horses - even on Town’s badge the Suffolk Punch has gone down with a Michael Jackson-style skin disease.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:34 - Mar 7 with 1464 viewsChondzoresk

Stoke Ash. Nice food. My local.
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:39 - Mar 7 with 1454 viewsWeWereZombies

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:29 - Mar 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Maybe an attempt to be posh - a white horse is pretty rare and is usually grey. The Nag’s Head doesn’t sound quite so appealing either.

Not many chestnut horses - even on Town’s badge the Suffolk Punch has gone down with a Michael Jackson-style skin disease.

And The Sorrell Horse that used to be down nears the docks in Ipswich, not many of those.

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:43 - Mar 7 with 1441 viewsbluelagos

Get off my land - lockdown cycling crashes is my territory!

My first post graduating ob around 30 years ago was with Bass Brewers, the UKs no 1 brewer at the time. One of my tasks was to build a database of every on trade outlet in the UK.

I did a few name checks and the Red Lion was the most common. Pretty sure White horse was up there, presumably just cos there were plenty around.

For the record there were 88k licenced outlets back in 1993/4, and Carling Black Label was the UKs biggest selling beer, close to 1 in 4 pints sold.

There was even an Ugly working man's club which may or may not still be going.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:46 - Mar 7 with 1396 viewsWeWereZombies

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:43 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

My first post graduating ob around 30 years ago was with Bass Brewers, the UKs no 1 brewer at the time. One of my tasks was to build a database of every on trade outlet in the UK.

I did a few name checks and the Red Lion was the most common. Pretty sure White horse was up there, presumably just cos there were plenty around.

For the record there were 88k licenced outlets back in 1993/4, and Carling Black Label was the UKs biggest selling beer, close to 1 in 4 pints sold.

Presumably that was close to Saffron Walden and the lovely sign that points to Ugly Village Hall (which really doesn't look that bad )

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:49 - Mar 7 with 1374 viewsbluelagos

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:46 - Mar 7 by WeWereZombies

Presumably that was close to Saffron Walden and the lovely sign that points to Ugly Village Hall (which really doesn't look that bad )

Think it's spelt Ugley tbf, but yeah.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:54 - Mar 7 with 1360 viewsEdwardStone

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:29 - Mar 7 by ElephantintheRoom

A Pedant writes.....

Chesnut....always spelled "Chesnut" when it refers to Suffolk Punch horses

Chestnut for all other applications
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:56 - Mar 7 with 1354 viewsEdwardStone

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:43 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

Also many pubs called Marquis of Granby

He commanded a regiment in the Army and would give a chunk of his private money to soldiers injured in battle in his service.

Many of the ex-squaddies bought a boozer with the cash and named it after their benefactor
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:00 - Mar 7 with 1342 viewsWeWereZombies

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:49 - Mar 7 by bluelagos

Think it's spelt Ugley tbf, but yeah.

True, there's a Nasty around that way too. No pub I think but that's more inconsiderate than downright nasty, the village isn't very big...

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:06 - Mar 7 with 1312 viewsEdwardStone

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:00 - Mar 7 by WeWereZombies

True, there's a Nasty around that way too. No pub I think but that's more inconsiderate than downright nasty, the village isn't very big...

Iirc.... each village had its own Womens Institute

However, declining membership forced the decision to merge the two

Which became the "Ugley and Nasty Womens Institute"
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:10 - Mar 7 with 1302 viewsstonojnr

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:00 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

Suffolk has 22 White Horse pubs open currently, only 7 Red Lions, there are more Swan pubs fwiw than Lions in Suffolk

but Red Lion was all about the Kings Arms or Kings Head, an emblem to show support of the monarch, of which there are also more than Red Lions in Suffolk :)

interesting fact about the Red Lion at Martlesham, the carving outside is supposedly the prow of a ship from a Dutch boat captured at the Battle of Solebay, from which we have Adnams Broadside beer brewed to commemorate
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:15 - Mar 7 with 1266 viewshoppy

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:06 - Mar 7 by EdwardStone

Didn't they run a number of different fundraising activities?

I think they had an Old Boot Sale once?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:44 - Mar 7 with 1199 viewsronnyd

Whepstead?
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:54 - Mar 7 with 1164 viewsCoastalblue

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 13:06 - Mar 7 by EdwardStone

I once got involved in specifying a floor for the village hall in Ugley, and it was the Ugley Women's Institute who were my contacts, so there is indeed one, or at least was about 20-25 years ago.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 14:01 - Mar 7 with 1121 viewsSarge

A couple in Cambridgeshire too near the Suffolk border within 3 miles of each other, in Milton and Waterbeach.
Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 14:21 - Mar 7 with 1061 viewsCoastalblue

I'd always guessed the White Horse name was it down to being part of the hanoverian heradlry, there are lots all over the country, certainly many here in London.

Similarly I believe the Red Lion, which is quoted as the most common pub name in England is due to it being the personal standard of James 1, who insisted many buildings show it. That's what I tell the foriegn tourists every week anyway, and I believe it's the case.

The White Harte is another common one, that's linked to Richard II I believe.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 14:24 - Mar 7 with 1023 viewsPhilTWTD

Proliferation of White Horse pubs in Suffolk, specifically... on 12:56 - Mar 7 by EdwardStone

Also many pubs called Marquis of Granby

He commanded a regiment in the Army and would give a chunk of his private money to soldiers injured in battle in his service.

Many of the ex-squaddies bought a boozer with the cash and named it after their benefactor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024