Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry for linking a story in the Mail 07:59 - Mar 2 with 1397 viewsGlasgowBlue

But I can’t find this story in the Guardian or any of the other less controversial news outlets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11809601/Boy-dropped-copy-Quran-Wakefie

This has got to be the most fcuked up story of the week.

So many questions come out of this story but the ones I can’t get my head around are…

1. Should secondary school kids be suspended for dropping a copy of the Quran?

2. Should the school have wasted the time of the Police by reporting the incident?

3. How the fcuk did we reach the stage where a 14 year old autistic student receives death threats for dropping a religious book?

Edit. To clarify, the original story about the suspension is on the beeb and other sites but when I saw Ash Dakar’s tweet that the boy had received death threats I googled it and couldn’t find that aspect being more widely reported. Hence the Mail link.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 8:07]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:05 - Mar 2 with 1332 viewsGeoffSentence

Is the BBC less controversial?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64757799

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:07 - Mar 2 with 1318 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:05 - Mar 2 by GeoffSentence

Is the BBC less controversial?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64757799

See my edit. Would be interested in peoples views of the doughnut rather than the hole.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 8:08]

Iron Lion Zion

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:14 - Mar 2 with 1283 viewsmarcus1642

As long as those rules apply to all religious books including the Bible, then it should be ok.
As an aside, when my boys were at primary school the school had organised a trip to a local mosque.
Out of the class of 28 only 9 turned up for school that day.
Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:20 - Mar 2 with 1236 viewsDanTheMan

There is some conflicting information about whether the book was kicked around or just dropped, which I guess you could try and turn into a "hate incident" but it's very thin. Kids are dumb and will do disrespectful things. Why the police had to get involved really beggars belief. Really sounds like it should have been handled by the school properly.

So in answer to your questions:

1) Probably not, depends on the intent and their history. If this was the last in a long line of other incidents, maybe it was worth a suspension but don't have that information.

2) I don't see why this made its way to the police.

3) No idea, but we shouldn't be here.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:24 - Mar 2 with 1233 viewsHerbivore

The response is overly heavy-handed but there's a bit more to it than an autistic boy dropping a copy of the Quran. It was done by a group of boys as a forfeit for losing a game, which suggests a rather disrespectful attitude. Should the police be called? No, and it seems that side of it has been concluded swiftly. Should the boys be suspended? No, but they should be spoken to and I think getting them to meet a local leader from the Muslim community to talk about what the Quran means to people of Islamic faith wouldn't be a bad idea. Should one of the lads be subjected to death threats? Absolutely not. Does the story warrant national press coverage or is this a classic bit of red meat dog whistling, particularly with the tone of the story in the Mail? I'll let others ponder on that one.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:51 - Mar 2 with 1165 viewsGuthrum

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:14 - Mar 2 by marcus1642

As long as those rules apply to all religious books including the Bible, then it should be ok.
As an aside, when my boys were at primary school the school had organised a trip to a local mosque.
Out of the class of 28 only 9 turned up for school that day.

Altho Christians mostly don't regard the physical book of the Bible with the same revrance Muslims do the Qu'ran. They believe the latter to be a direct copy of God's golden book in heaven, as dictated to Mohammed by the angel Gabriel, which makes even the printed text especially holy and precious. One of the rules being that a copy of the Qu'ran should never be placed on the floor and certainly not deliberately damaged.

Doing so can be seen by Muslims as insulting God and/or blasphemy. Riots have started over such things, which is what the school is trying to head off.

Because it is a dictated copy of the heavenly book, the Qu'ran is only considered correct in the original Arabic from 1,400 years ago. Versions in other languages and even modern Arabic are classed as "interpretations", not translations.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:55 - Mar 2 with 1151 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:07 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

See my edit. Would be interested in peoples views of the doughnut rather than the hole.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 8:08]

That might be possible, but we need some more info. How big is the hole?

(It's fkd up. We shouldn't have fairy death cultists imposing their will on us, and especially in charge of education. They can feel free to practice themselves and whatnot, but leave the rest of us out of it).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:57 - Mar 2 with 1151 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:24 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

The response is overly heavy-handed but there's a bit more to it than an autistic boy dropping a copy of the Quran. It was done by a group of boys as a forfeit for losing a game, which suggests a rather disrespectful attitude. Should the police be called? No, and it seems that side of it has been concluded swiftly. Should the boys be suspended? No, but they should be spoken to and I think getting them to meet a local leader from the Muslim community to talk about what the Quran means to people of Islamic faith wouldn't be a bad idea. Should one of the lads be subjected to death threats? Absolutely not. Does the story warrant national press coverage or is this a classic bit of red meat dog whistling, particularly with the tone of the story in the Mail? I'll let others ponder on that one.

You raise a fair point about the tone of the Mail article. But this is where I take issue with the more progressive news outlets being unwilling to report on the death threats.

It allows a rag like the Mail to set the agenda. I’d prefer to see a more balanced and thoughtful account but sometimes I fear they won’t go with stories which may paint some members of a community in a bad light.

We saw this with the sex gangs in Rotherham a while back. I think by looking the other way uncomfortably it gave space to the likes of Tommy Robinson and his knuckledraggers.

Multiculturalism is great. It benefits all of us. But we shouldn’t be afraid to address negative stories when they arise.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 9:13]

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 09:12 - Mar 2 with 1094 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:55 - Mar 2 by Swansea_Blue

That might be possible, but we need some more info. How big is the hole?

(It's fkd up. We shouldn't have fairy death cultists imposing their will on us, and especially in charge of education. They can feel free to practice themselves and whatnot, but leave the rest of us out of it).

I just can’t understand the furore around a fictional book (regardless of what religion it is). Mind you someone dropped my copy of Harry Potter once and I was mildly disgruntled.
Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 09:30 - Mar 2 with 1040 viewsblueislander

It is appalling. It was reported in The Times.
Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 09:52 - Mar 2 with 993 viewsHerbivore

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 08:57 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

You raise a fair point about the tone of the Mail article. But this is where I take issue with the more progressive news outlets being unwilling to report on the death threats.

It allows a rag like the Mail to set the agenda. I’d prefer to see a more balanced and thoughtful account but sometimes I fear they won’t go with stories which may paint some members of a community in a bad light.

We saw this with the sex gangs in Rotherham a while back. I think by looking the other way uncomfortably it gave space to the likes of Tommy Robinson and his knuckledraggers.

Multiculturalism is great. It benefits all of us. But we shouldn’t be afraid to address negative stories when they arise.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 9:13]

If you get to the bottom of the story the police say they received a report of malicious communication (i.e. the 'death threats') which was also from a child, who was subsequently spoken to. Like the whole story it's a storm in a teacup, but you seem to have bitten so the Mail has done its job.

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 10:17 - Mar 2 with 948 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 09:52 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

If you get to the bottom of the story the police say they received a report of malicious communication (i.e. the 'death threats') which was also from a child, who was subsequently spoken to. Like the whole story it's a storm in a teacup, but you seem to have bitten so the Mail has done its job.

I got the news from Novara's Ash Sakar actually. Not the Mail.

So stand down Herbie, somebody who describes themselves as 'literally a communist' has given you permission to to think outside your echo chamber.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 10:17]

Iron Lion Zion

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 10:29 - Mar 2 with 916 viewsHerbivore

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 10:17 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

I got the news from Novara's Ash Sakar actually. Not the Mail.

So stand down Herbie, somebody who describes themselves as 'literally a communist' has given you permission to to think outside your echo chamber.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 10:17]

You'll find us all, doing the Glasgow swerve.

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 10:36 - Mar 2 with 890 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 10:29 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

You'll find us all, doing the Glasgow swerve.

Not sure what I've swerved there Herbie. I said from the start that it was the Ash Sakar tweets that alerted me to the story.

So explain the swerve please.

Iron Lion Zion

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 11:31 - Mar 2 with 793 viewsHerbivore

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 10:36 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

Not sure what I've swerved there Herbie. I said from the start that it was the Ash Sakar tweets that alerted me to the story.

So explain the swerve please.

You've swerved addressing any of the substance of my post and instead gone for a "look a lefty tweeted about it so what do you say to that? kind of post instead. I don't follow Ash Sakar, most of what I see from her comes from you sharing it on here, usually discrediting her actually so it's rather odd you're now trying to use her tweet as some sort of gotcha. And I read your OP before the edit mentioning Ash Sakar, you can't add that in and then say you'd always said that was your source.

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 11:43 - Mar 2 with 769 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 11:31 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

You've swerved addressing any of the substance of my post and instead gone for a "look a lefty tweeted about it so what do you say to that? kind of post instead. I don't follow Ash Sakar, most of what I see from her comes from you sharing it on here, usually discrediting her actually so it's rather odd you're now trying to use her tweet as some sort of gotcha. And I read your OP before the edit mentioning Ash Sakar, you can't add that in and then say you'd always said that was your source.

I addressed your dig at the end about me swallowing the Mail's bait. That was unnecessary. Why should I then address anything further.

However, this seems important to you, and after begging for months to be let back on the board I'd prefer to make more welcome and inclusive. So regarding the 'substance of your post". The death threats came from other pupils and those pupils "were spoken to"

Great. Scuff a book of fairytales and you get suspended and reported to the pocie for a hate crime. Send death threats to a 14 year old autistic kid and no suspension or report to the police as a hate crime.

I'm not sure if you are a parent or not Herbie but if you are then I'd be very surprised if you brushed a death threat against one of you children as being "a storm in a tea cup"

Do you believe that the original issue of the book being scuffed has warranted community meetings attended by a very busy and underfunded police force?

Re Ash. I don't agree with much she says but I see her on my feed a lot and it was her who brought the story to my attention. I then went looking for a MSM link and there were few to find. I wasn't using her tweet as a gotcha.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 11:47]

Iron Lion Zion

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 11:50 - Mar 2 with 747 viewsHerbivore

Sorry for linking a story in the Mail on 11:43 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

I addressed your dig at the end about me swallowing the Mail's bait. That was unnecessary. Why should I then address anything further.

However, this seems important to you, and after begging for months to be let back on the board I'd prefer to make more welcome and inclusive. So regarding the 'substance of your post". The death threats came from other pupils and those pupils "were spoken to"

Great. Scuff a book of fairytales and you get suspended and reported to the pocie for a hate crime. Send death threats to a 14 year old autistic kid and no suspension or report to the police as a hate crime.

I'm not sure if you are a parent or not Herbie but if you are then I'd be very surprised if you brushed a death threat against one of you children as being "a storm in a tea cup"

Do you believe that the original issue of the book being scuffed has warranted community meetings attended by a very busy and underfunded police force?

Re Ash. I don't agree with much she says but I see her on my feed a lot and it was her who brought the story to my attention. I then went looking for a MSM link and there were few to find. I wasn't using her tweet as a gotcha.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 11:47]

Enjoy chewing on that raw red meat, Glassers. If you want to know my thoughts on the substance of the story, I've already posted them earlier in the thread.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024