Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My gods! If this is accurate... 13:42 - Jan 31 with 3645 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/30/climate-crisis-global-heatin

...I now expect to see the collapse of civilisation in my own lifetime.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:23 - Jan 31 with 570 viewseireblue

My gods! If this is accurate... on 17:49 - Jan 31 by factual_blue

I'll be 89 in 2044, so I'm not too worried on a personal level. I'll be dead or demented by then.

Plus I've done my bit - our solar panels were installed today.

Of course the predictions aren't so good for you youngsters.

Ummmm……this is awks,…on that second thing….depending on which definition….the “by then”….well yes that is indeed accurate.
My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:32 - Jan 31 with 550 viewseireblue

My gods! If this is accurate... on 18:55 - Jan 31 by Deano69

15 of the 201 countries measured contribute 77% of the pollution. In fact the top three are at 52% alone. China alone is nearly a third. The UK 17th on the list is at just under 1% contribution.

These are figures for 2019, no idea what changes have been made since then, just dont know how it will be possible to change the mindset of the really big contributors as even if the bottom 185 countries were to average 0 it still leaves a massive majority polluting the world. A terrible legacy :(

You say a terrible legacy, but when you think about it, humans don’t harp on about how the dinosaurs forgot to invent technology, and didn’t prepare to shoot meteors out of space, and they did have more time on the planet. We find them quite fascinating.

So I am sure the next dominate species will be okay about humans messing up.

Obviously dinosaurs will be seen as more successful in terms of longevity by future archaeologists, but I am sure humans will be seen as at least giving it a bit of try.
My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:32 - Jan 31 with 554 viewsTrequartista

It's just totally confusing to the average punter, you read in one place that the earth is about to burn and we saw the horrific fires in Australia last year and then in another breath Australia are now having their coldest summer ever in several locations and that China's Mohe, which is the same latitude as Nottingham, is at a record low -53c

I mean to me, it seems like we are getting more extreme weather, so I believe that, but it is also getting hotter as well?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:51 - Jan 31 with 495 viewsStokieBlue

My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:32 - Jan 31 by Trequartista

It's just totally confusing to the average punter, you read in one place that the earth is about to burn and we saw the horrific fires in Australia last year and then in another breath Australia are now having their coldest summer ever in several locations and that China's Mohe, which is the same latitude as Nottingham, is at a record low -53c

I mean to me, it seems like we are getting more extreme weather, so I believe that, but it is also getting hotter as well?

It's not that confusing, it's important that "climate change" is used rather than "global warming".

It's definitely getting hotter, there is absolutely no way to dispute that and with that the extremes increase in various microclimates.

Also worth remembering that Nottingham would be -25C every year if it wasn't for the Gulf stream which brings warmer weather to our shores. One very possible (even probably) outcome of climate change is either a diversion in the course of the Gulf stream or a switching off of it altogether which would leave the UK experiencing Russian style winters every year.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:55 - Jan 31 with 487 viewsNthQldITFC

My gods! If this is accurate... on 19:32 - Jan 31 by Trequartista

The average temperature of the world (the oceans being the primary sink of that energy) is rising by what looks to the layman small amounts.

However, that energy is what drives the swirly, non-uniform weather systems around the world, and having that extra energy in the oceans means that the swirly things get bigger and more extreme and draw more hot air or more cold air into regions than we would have expected historically. Hence we see both hot and cold extreme events, or dry and wet ones.

The effect of the increased heat energy tends to be exponential, so a small increase in temperature results in a certain increase in severe weather events, and a further similar increase in temperature results in an even bigger increase in weather events next time round.

Positive feedback from things like ice melting, forests dying, ocean currents changing etc. make the system run away even faster, and those hot and cold and wet and dry extreme events get worse and more frequent.

The agricultural systems that support us, let alone the natural ecosystems that support the rest of life are fragile, and we are doing virtually nothing to protect us, nature and the future of life on Earth.

My gods! If this is accurate... on 20:11 - Jan 31 with 452 viewschicoazul

My gods! If this is accurate... on 14:47 - Jan 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

Together with Russia, China and India who are increasing their carbon output year on year, the UK going Carbon Neutral by 2050, is the equivalent of going from an 80 cigarettes a day habit to a 79 a day habit.

Careful, people shout at me when I say similar.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

My gods! If this is accurate... on 20:13 - Jan 31 with 446 viewsStokieBlue

My gods! If this is accurate... on 20:11 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

Careful, people shout at me when I say similar.

Because it's a very rubbish argument but then I shouldn't be surprised.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

My gods! If this is accurate... on 20:28 - Jan 31 with 433 viewsNthQldITFC

My gods! If this is accurate... on 20:13 - Jan 31 by StokieBlue

Because it's a very rubbish argument but then I shouldn't be surprised.

SB

It's a selfish, small-minded and stupid argument, and it's the sort of argument used by people who are the first to whinge when they can't buy individually wrapped cheese slices or 'proper' white bread.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024